HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2016 WJC in Finland. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Old
09-25-2014, 02:34 PM
albertaref

vCash: 500
2016 WJC in Finland. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

So I know its really early as the 2015 tournament hasn't started but I've finally given in. I wanna make the trip to Helsinki for the 2016 tournament.

Me and a buddy made the trip to Sweden. Saved a lot of money by booking everything ourselves rather than tour packages but getting ahead on things like ticket sale dates, hotels, arenas, reccomended languages, things to do on off days.

Any info regarding price, trip packages, costs of anything would be greatly appreciated.

albertaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

It'll be a long while before they get anything decided.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2014, 02:30 AM
Jonnieboy15

It's a long time to go still, but I'm so excited. Coming home from Australia for this tournament! Better to start the thread early and get it all sorted, see you there!

Jonnieboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2014, 06:01 PM
llwyd

Well, you sure will get more answers once the groups and the schedule are set...

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2014, 06:22 PM
GlobeHockey

This tournament will break european records in terms of attendance, Helsinki held the record for so long until Sweden eclipsed it last year. With thousands of Canadians who make their way it'll be an unbelievably entertaining tourney especially with an expected strong Finnish team.

GlobeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeHockey View Post
This tournament will break european records in terms of attendance, Helsinki held the record for so long until Sweden eclipsed it last year. With thousands of Canadians who make their way it'll be an unbelievably entertaining tourney especially with an expected strong Finnish team.
Will depend on the what kind of team Finland is projected as having. It's too early to predict the team.

Old
10-01-2014, 06:47 PM
webnogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeHockey View Post
With thousands of Canadians who make their way....
Don't forget about us Americans! Ok ok, so maybe there were only a dozen of us in Malmo, but we're definitely headed to Helsinki as well!

webnogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Pgust

One thing is for sure, there will be more Americans and Canadians over there than Swedes. I might go though, just a ferry away.

Last edited by Pgust: 10-02-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Pgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Zaddy Zads
Deutschland Dangler

I was at the tournament in Malmö, Sweden last year. It was magic! I'm leaning towards making the trip to Helsinki next year just to experience it again even though I live quite far from Finland. I absolutely love this tournament. I'll probably re-visit this thread a year from now to get some help on where to stay etc.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2014, 02:45 PM
GlobeHockey

There really should be a HF rendez vous at tournaments, would be fun to interact with different posters. Instead of the summit series 72...

HF World Summit, yearly rendez vous's at WJC, WC and Olympic Games hahah.

I'd love to see some of our Canadian friends in the same room as our Russian friends discussing 87, hahahaha, I wonder what would happen,it seems it's brought up nearly every thread for no reason.

GlobeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Pgust

...or I can just use up my EuroBonus points and fly to Helsinki instead of taking the drunk ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki

Pgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2014, 10:22 AM
jktrigger

Helsinki talk already, AWESOME!! I'm going for sure. Malmo was a Great trip. New years eve was crazy. Hoped for a better Team Canada Finnish in the Tournament tho. Tickets should be on sale in January after wjc2015. Paid less than $200 for 11 games in Sweden. Flight and hotel from Toronto $1600. After food and booze Total spent $2600. If I recommend anything look for a hotel near the main metro station, then your close to everything. Another European vacation including Hockey? Hell Yea!!!

jktrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
Helsinki talk already, AWESOME!! I'm going for sure. Malmo was a Great trip. New years eve was crazy. Hoped for a better Team Canada Finnish in the Tournament tho. Tickets should be on sale in January after wjc2015. Paid less than $200 for 11 games in Sweden. Flight and hotel from Toronto $1600. After food and booze Total spent $2600. If I recommend anything look for a hotel near the main metro station, then your close to everything. Another European vacation including Hockey? Hell Yea!!!
Everything will be more expensive in Finland.

Old
10-18-2014, 11:52 AM
jktrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Everything will be more expensive in Finland.
Actually flight and hotel for me is $200 cheaper than I paid for Malmo. So waiting for game ticket prices. I bet they'll be more in line to the $200 I paid in sweden, and a hell of alot cheaper than the $2000 ticket package in Canada. #GoCanadaGo

jktrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrigger View Post
Actually flight and hotel for me is $200 cheaper than I paid for Malmo. So waiting for game ticket prices. I bet they'll be more in line to the $200 I paid in sweden, and a hell of alot cheaper than the $2000 ticket package in Canada. #GoCanadaGo
Food, drinks etc. will be more expensive. If Kummola is still running the show, expect tickets for Canada's games to b priced unusually high.

Old
10-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Phenomenon

Finland (Helsinki) is not so much expensive than Sweden (Malmö). Helsinki has a lot of hotels for a decent price at that time of the year and certainly a great atmosphere. Food and drinks are not much expensive than in NA when you take into account that the prices include the service (no need to tip).

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Phenomenon

Here is an apartment close to the city center and arena that is great for groups: http://www.booking.com/hotel/fi/aall...hlight_room%3D

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 12:27 AM
kbucci
Rookie User

Helsinki 2016

For those that went to Sweden, you mentioned you only paid $200 for 11 games. Did you buy the full package through the tournament website or a separate site? Was there an option to purchase individual game tickets either before the tournament or at the gates?

We are seriously thinking about going to Helsinki, but are trying to estimate the cost of tickets. Really we are only interested in going to the Canadian games and obviously the medal rounds.

Thanks.

kbucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 09:17 AM
webnogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbucci View Post
For those that went to Sweden, you mentioned you only paid $200 for 11 games. Did you buy the full package through the tournament website or a separate site? Was there an option to purchase individual game tickets either before the tournament or at the gates?

We are seriously thinking about going to Helsinki, but are trying to estimate the cost of tickets. Really we are only interested in going to the Canadian games and obviously the medal rounds.

Thanks.

You could buy individual game tickets through the Swedish Ticketmaster site. In fact, I don't think full tournament packages were available...you had to buy tickets on a game by game basis (unless you're traveling with one of those Canadian tour companies, of course). Also, unlike in Toronto/Montreal this year, each "game ticket" got you admission to both games at that particular arena on that specific day. So, for example, you didn't have to buy one ticket to the 4pm bronze medal game and a separate ticket to the 8pm gold medal game, but rather you just bought one ticket for a seat at both games. Same thing for the quarter and semi final games.

We bought tickets for the last two games of the prelim round and all 8 elimination round games (so 10 games total) and paid roughly $400 per person. Granted, we were buying the more expensive seating categories, but $200 for 11 games sounds....cheaper than I remember.

All of that said, no idea if Finland will run their tournament like Sweden did...

webnogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Schedule has now been released:

http://www.worldjunior2016.com/en/games/

The Canada/USA game will be on Boxing Day and Canada's New Year's Eve match up is Sweden.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 01:27 PM
QnebO

I'm ready to bet they - well, he: Kummola - is keeping prices reasonable and looking for Atmosphere as it's u20. U20 ain't same sort of banktomat as adults WHC is in Finland. Looking forward to EHT / KHL level pricing.

I'm not satisfied if Hartwall Arena isn't used. With very cheap tickets they could even sell it out in Finland's games against contenders, perhaps also the Canada - USA and USA - Russia could be played at hartwall for decent crowd.

Last edited by QnebO: 03-09-2015 at 01:35 PM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 01:38 PM
QnebO

Hotel Presidentti in Helsinki is decent and not over priced. It has high quality breakfast. I mean if you like simple but good things like bacon, meat balls, chocolate cakes plus the healthy stuff like blue berries, starwberries, fruits. It hat like 15 things you could pick. I was there when I went to see Jokerit's game. It's just 2 minute walk from train station, and from that station you also get the Finnair bus-connection straight to airport.

https://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/helsin...el-presidentti (English)

Old
03-09-2015, 01:43 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Helsinki better be ready, it's going to be a Canadian invasion like no other come 2016 with the amount of anticipated fans coming over. The numbers for the tour groups are already nearing or over 1000 and that's only for one of the gruops, it's going to be a very fun holiday season in the gorgeous city of Helsinki, HOME OF SANTA CLAUSE, as they kept telling us here during the WJC, have like 50 flyers that they passed out saying COME VISIT SANTA haha.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Helsinki better be ready, it's going to be a Canadian invasion like no other come 2016 with the amount of anticipated fans coming over. The numbers for the tour groups are already nearing or over 1000 and that's only for one of the gruops, it's going to be a very fun holiday season in the gorgeous city of Helsinki, HOME OF SANTA CLAUSE, as they kept telling us here during the WJC, have like 50 flyers that they passed out saying COME VISIT SANTA haha.
Propaganda

It's great to hear you guys are already having numbers. I hope you guys create some atmosphere and feel good and like home in Helsinki.

Last edited by QnebO: 03-09-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old
03-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I'm not satisfied if Hartwall Arena isn't used. With very cheap tickets they could even sell it out in Finland's games against contenders, perhaps also the Canada - USA and USA - Russia could be played at hartwall for decent crowd.
Hmm? I'm rather certain that Hartwall Arena and Helsinki Ice Hall are the two confirmed hosting venues for the tournament.

Urbanskog is offline   Reply With Quote