HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Allison may be done

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2003, 04:16 PM
  #1
Duguay
Stay at home Forward
 
Duguay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,087
vCash: 500
Allison may be done

Darren Dreger today on the Fan590 in Toronto stating that there's whispering on the West Coast that both Jason Allison and Deadmarsh are not responding to their time off - and one if not both - may be through for good.

Wow. Murray looks really good now!

Duguay is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 04:20 PM
  #2
Koltsov71
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
It would be nothing less than tragic if either of these players could not continue their careers in the NHL.

I hope that they are able to recovery from their injuries, although it certainly is not looking optimistic.

 
Old
10-31-2003, 04:30 PM
  #3
billybruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: southern new england
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to billybruin
Could it be Deadmarsh b/c of all his concussions? Not that I hope for Deadmarsh's career to be over, but to never see Allison play again would just suck. He may have left on bad terms with some people, but I am still a big fan of his.
I know this was said so much that it became cliche, but damn it would have been nice to have him and Joe as our one-two punch at center.

billybruin is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 04:36 PM
  #4
Duguay
Stay at home Forward
 
Duguay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybruin
Could it be Deadmarsh b/c of all his concussions? Not that I hope for Deadmarsh's career to be over, but to never see Allison play again would just suck. He may have left on bad terms with some people, but I am still a big fan of his.
I know this was said so much that it became cliche, but damn it would have been nice to have him and Joe as our one-two punch at center.
Truly one of the biggest letdowns in this fans 30 years as a Broons fan...just in behind Bobby Orr leaving for Chicago.

The Phil thing never bothered me cos I loved Brad Park and Jean Ratelle.

Other huge letdowns; Normand Leveille's stroke, Cam Neely's short career, and too many men on the ice vs. the Canadians

Duguay is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 04:47 PM
  #5
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,971
vCash: 500
as DKH will definitely concur, if allison didn't play hardball with the b's originally, his career would still be alive and well, and would probably still be playing in boston right now. i've always been a big ally fan, and i'm sorry to hear about this news. hopefully he can make it back, as he's one of the most talented players in the league.

neelynugs is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 04:57 PM
  #6
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
as DKH will definitely concur, if allison didn't play hardball with the b's originally, his career would still be alive and well, and would probably still be playing in boston right now. i've always been a big ally fan, and i'm sorry to hear about this news. hopefully he can make it back, as he's one of the most talented players in the league.
Its funny but one of my best friends lives 3 or 4 houses away from Allison and whenever I go over there I always look at his house and think to myself' "you should've taken that first offer". Think about it- it was about what Lapointe got; then got pulled off the table after 9-11. I'm not sure but the B's came in at around 6 at first and Ally went back later similar to Berard and said, OK, but it was to late. No telling what would have happened- he may have gotten whiplash here. Things couldn't have gotten worse on the ice though. And the thing is everyone that knows him knew he wanted to be a Bruin, he loved the area, liked the fact he could bolt home easily to Canada, loved the team and the guys. Unbelievable.

DKH is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 05:32 PM
  #7
Black Eye
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
He's still young and a tough guy. Given time, I'm hopeful he'll recover. We've seen guys - refer to Lindros - eventually come back from similar injuries at least as bad as Jason is suffering. It may be the long road for him, but it's too early to hold a funeral for his career.

 
Old
10-31-2003, 05:56 PM
  #8
DBL
Registered User
 
DBL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
He's still young and a tough guy. Given time, I'm hopeful he'll recover. We've seen guys - refer to Lindros - eventually come back from similar injuries at least as bad as Jason is suffering. It may be the long road for him, but it's too early to hold a funeral for his career.
Look at Lindros now, the guy is nowhere the same like he was back in the day and is just playing for a paycheck, he should just quit before he gets hammered again.

Allison's career even if he does get back will not be the same, he likes to bang bodies and use his size and strength to play his best much like Lindros did. Doesn't look good for him to come back and play at such a high level he was at before. I am seriously loving this deal with the Kings now...

DBL is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 06:14 PM
  #9
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 6,601
vCash: 500
Allison

I, too am a big fan of Jason. He showed Thornton how to set up behind the net and feed to the wings. He and Joe would have been the best #1 and #2 centre combos in recent memory.

This all brings home the fact that, sadly, there is no more loyalty to a city or a team. As much as Ally loved Boston and his teamates, the lure of squeezing one more BMW into his three car garage was too much.

Ratty is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:54 AM
  #10
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay
Darren Dreger today on the Fan590 in Toronto stating that there's whispering on the West Coast that both Jason Allison and Deadmarsh are not responding to their time off - and one if not both - may be through for good.

Wow. Murray looks really good now!
I am sure we will have people still saying it was a bad trade.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:30 AM
  #11
MeisterBruinmaker
Registered User
 
MeisterBruinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bay area, California
Posts: 6,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I am sure we will have people still saying it was a bad trade.
Looks to me more like it was a LUCKY trade.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 05:47 AM
  #12
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
Looks to me more like it was a LUCKY trade.
Meister, so if they make a good trade they are lucky, if they make a bad trade they are a poor management team?

A good trade is a good trade, period. I feel for Allison, he was one of my favorites...actually my favorite (formerly known as Bruwinz41). He screwed up, asked for too much, and wanted out. The Bruins got great value and much like John Leclair flourishing in Philly, Murray finally flourished here.

We could argue all day if they had any idea that Murray had this potential (and seeing they once made him a 1st round pick) but in the end it boils down to a good deal for us.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 06:08 AM
  #13
DBL
Registered User
 
DBL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Meister, so if they make a good trade they are lucky, if they make a bad trade they are a poor management team?

A good trade is a good trade, period. I feel for Allison, he was one of my favorites...actually my favorite (formerly known as Bruwinz41). He screwed up, asked for too much, and wanted out. The Bruins got great value and much like John Leclair flourishing in Philly, Murray finally flourished here.

We could argue all day if they had any idea that Murray had this potential (and seeing they once made him a 1st round pick) but in the end it boils down to a good deal for us.
I think he was making the point that Allison is better/younger than Murray and if it wasn't for the fact that Allison has had injury problems since he's been in LA, the Kings would have won this trade.

But with a little luck, the Bruins won this trade. No one knew Allison would have these problems in the future and the Bruins got Murray who's flourished here for him instead of having a 8 Million man on playing on the IR.

I agree that it was alittle lucky because if Allison had a healthy career LA won the for sure. A healthy 1-2 punch of Thornton and Allison is better than a Thornton and Murray combo in my opinion.

DBL is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 06:08 AM
  #14
Boston Bruno
Registered User
 
Boston Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
We could argue all day if they had any idea that Murray had this potential (and seeing they once made him a 1st round pick) but in the end it boils down to a good deal for us.
Its not at the end yet.. still plenty in the tank for allison. He will return!
While I will not argue about the potential of Murray, I will argue that they could have aquired Murray for far less than Allison at that time.

However, neither here nor there - we have what we have..

Boston Bruno is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:31 AM
  #15
mmmBeer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
as DKH will definitely concur, if allison didn't play hardball with the b's originally, his career would still be alive and well, and would probably still be playing in boston right now. i've always been a big ally fan, and i'm sorry to hear about this news. hopefully he can make it back, as he's one of the most talented players in the league.
I think the Bruins intent going into that summer was to trade Allison. They tried to trade him at the draft, they tried to sign Roenick to replace him once free agency started, and they lowered their offer to him when he came back to the negotiating table to try to get a deal done. I think the Bruins had made a decision that they didn't want Allison on their team. All in all the trade has been good for the B's, but a healthy Allison is easily the best player involved.
BTW, who doesn't originally play hardball when negotiating? I don't know why coming in with a high number at the beginning of the summer is being greedy... you have all summer to negotiate down. And Allison did lower his request by the end of the summer.

mmmBeer is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 08:26 AM
  #16
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,180
vCash: 500
As someone semi-following this story..

It's Allison who is possibly going to lose his career.

Adam Deadmarsh is riding the stationary bike, doing non-contact drills. He is slated to come back late November, but it might be longer.

Allison on the other hand is still suffering from the effects of whiplash. The longer is goes on, the less of a chance it'll ever go away, so the doctors say. Allison has had this for MONTHS now, and right now his return, if it happens, won't be happening until next year. And if it doesn't happen in January, or at all this year, Allison's career is probobly finished...

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:24 AM
  #17
MeisterBruinmaker
Registered User
 
MeisterBruinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bay area, California
Posts: 6,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL
I think he was making the point that Allison is better/younger than Murray and if it wasn't for the fact that Allison has had injury problems since he's been in LA, the Kings would have won this trade.

But with a little luck, the Bruins won this trade. No one knew Allison would have these problems in the future and the Bruins got Murray who's flourished here for him instead of having a 8 Million man on playing on the IR.

I agree that it was alittle lucky because if Allison had a healthy career LA won the for sure. A healthy 1-2 punch of Thornton and Allison is better than a Thornton and Murray combo in my opinion.
Exactly.

Back in 2001, if you lined up Murray, Stumpel & Allison (skip Eloranta), it was clear Allison had the best potential because he was closest to a 5-tool player. He had the extra gear for the playoffs and could come through in the clutch. In essence, he was an A type player and Murray/Stumpel were B types.

I certainly agree with Bruwinz20 that Allison misplayed his cards - he asked for $8M/yr when he should have taken the Bruins more than reasonable offer of $6M/yr, but he didn't. In turn, instead of staying committed to him and believing the Bruins could have the most dominant 1-2 punch up the middle in probably all of the NHL, O'Connell made the early decision to live life without Allison.

I always gave O'C credit for getting good value when his back was to the wall, but you never know how things would have turned out. Most experts agreed that Allison was the better player, and that in the long run, the Kings would have won the deal. I think O'C did a great job in that he addressed his needs at center while landing a big winger, especially that both were former Bruins players. However, I never believed either guy would be good in the playoffs, which is what mattered most to me. So far, neither has.

I think O'C got a little lucky with Murray and unlucky with Stumpel. It was clear Murray could skate and shoot, but nobody knew he would have the chemistry he ended up having with Joe. Ftorek has to get a little credit here for not as much for putting Glen's RH shot with Joe's LH passing, but for telling those guys how to make it work (ie Glen setting up in the circles, Joe camping out behind the net -- it was Ftorek who would tell Thornton the net was his best friend).

With Stumpel, O'Connell got a known quantity. Most of his entire career, sans maybe one playoff season, he never really could step up and offer more than his single dimension passing and reasonable defensive game. Heck, even when lined up with two all-star wingers in Samsonov and Murray, he couldn't deliver when it counted. No luck involved here, statistics would have predicted the outcome, and it did.

At the same time, nobody would have ever known the Allison would have had the spat of injuries he's had. It hasn't been his skills or drive that's kept him back, but bad luck. Just as nobody knew Thornton and Murray would have the kind of chemistry they do, giving the B's their version of John Leclair and a bit of good luck, the Kings got just as much bad luck. In my mind, this trade is partly the work of O'Connell to avoid getting fleeced by getting good value, size experience (and 2 former Bruins players), but there is definitely a big element of luck.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 12:35 PM
  #18
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBruin
I think the Bruins intent going into that summer was to trade Allison. They tried to trade him at the draft, they tried to sign Roenick to replace him once free agency started, and they lowered their offer to him when he came back to the negotiating table to try to get a deal done. I think the Bruins had made a decision that they didn't want Allison on their team.
Absolutely correct.

The way I look at it is this: Once you decide that someone is not the player who you are going to build your team around, why invest big bucks in them? It is this line of thinking that is the reason I don't fault the Bruins for trading Allison and am glad they were able to get the production out of Glen Murray that they have.

O'Connell nearly had a deal in Sunrise to move him in June of '01, which we all know didn't work out. Let us not forget that the B's had made an offer to Allison's camp in May for about $5.5-6 million, which was rejected. The way Mike O'Connell explained it to me, is that they were trying to gauge what he would get from arbitration, because he was eligible to file that year. As it turned out- compared to other centers who went to arbitration such as Alexei Kovalev and Bobby Holik, $5M would've been more than either of them got, and the same amount that Bill Guerin was given to play his last season with the B's.

While I don't know this for a fact, I think it is a reasonable assumption to think that when Allison rejected Boston's initial proposal, management decided at that point that he was going to be a tough sign and better to move if they could get a potential franchise player like Jason Spezza to replace him.

Unfortunately, I was told that when O'Connell went to bed on Friday night, he had a deal in principle with Mike Milbury, who then gave Ottawa GM Marshall Johnston one more shot to make an offer. Whether it was Dave Scatchard, Tim Connolly or Brad Isbister that ended up being the deal breaker (Ottawa was willing to take Bill Muckalt instead), we'll never know. But you have to wonder what the B's might have looked like with Spezza, Zdeno Chara and either one of Isbister/Scatchard/Connolly instead of Murray and Stumpel. O'Connell had the rug pulled out from under him, which is the way these things go sometimes, but we are left to speculate on what might've been.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Allison was the "unnamed player" the B's had tried to deal to the Islanders, so when they then went out and signed Marty Lapointe for the money they had initially offered Allison, I think the writing was on the wall. Once Allison did not file for arbitration, he effectively burned any bridge that might have remained, because I think they were testing him to see if wanting to get back and playing was more important to him or if it was about the money. Once he declined to file, I believe that the B's were resigned to trading him away. That last ditch meeting just after 9/11 with Allison was nothing more than them making sure that if he was going to sign, it would be at their price, not his. Spending $5 million on Allison is one thing, but getting him at a bargain rate is another if he had agreed to it. I don't think they ever believed he would, and I honestly feel that he ceased to be a Bruin the day he announced he wouldn't file for arbitration even though it took the team another three months to find a trading partner.

Anyway- I have discussed this many times offline with MeisterBruinmaker and others. From my perspective, I have never agreed that Allison was as valuable to the team as opponents of the trade did. He was unquestionably an outstanding talent, but I feel he was lacking in other areas all of which conspired to ultimately lead to his exit from Boston.

I am disappointed that his career seems to have taken a tough turn, and I sincerely hope he can overcome his injury problems to make a comeback. Regardless of whether you are for or against Allison over what led to his departure, nobody deserves that kind of a fate, so I'm pulling for him to get back in the game soon.

The black and white version of the deal is this, without even factoring in Jozef Stumpel, Glen Murray has yet to miss a single game with the B's since coming over, and has netted 80 goals in 167 games. Although he's struggling to find the back of the net this year, Murray has been an integral part of the Boston offense since October '01 and will continue to do so for the rest of the year unless traded. Allison has been excellent for the Kings when in the lineup, but has played about half as many games as Murray has. There is definitely some luck involved there- the Kings have experienced what the B's had to deal with during the 1999-2000 season when Allison missed so much time with his wonky wrist.

We'll never know if Allison would've been healthy had he stayed in Boston, so while there is a lot of truth to the idea of a solid 1-2 punch in an Allison-Thornton combo up the middle, we don't really know for sure if he would even be playing had the B's decided to keep him happy and in Boston, or whether he'd be on IR collecting a $6-7 million paycheck. What we do know is that Murray has posted back-to-back career years with the Bruins, and has given the team a potent answer from the right side. If he weren't putting the goals in for the B's, who would be providing the scoring from the wing?

In closing, I think this debate among Bruins fans will rage eternally, much like the Clemens and Milloy pro's and con's arguments that dominate Red Sox and Patriots discussion boards. Both sides bring a lot of passion to the argument, but neither will ever be able to decisively prove their case one way or the other. Me? I'm just grateful that Murray has stayed healthy and productive while in Boston. I've never wished any ill will on Allison, even if I thought he played a big role in his trade by not doing the things that could've kept him here and forcing the money to be at the forefront of his discontent. I hope he bounces back, wherever he ends up.

And I'll leave it at that.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 02:32 PM
  #19
MeisterBruinmaker
Registered User
 
MeisterBruinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bay area, California
Posts: 6,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
While I don't know this for a fact, I think it is a reasonable assumption to think that when Allison rejected Boston's initial proposal, management decided at that point that he was going to be a tough sign and better to move if they could get a potential franchise player like Jason Spezza to replace him.
I see this as the starting point. If Allison was more reasonable and accepted the $6M/yr three year offer, it would be a moot point. Otherwise, I completely agree. One thing Jeremy Jacobs recently lauded Harry Sinden for was his uncanny knack for valuing players. Though Mike O'Connell was GM at the time, there's no doubt Harry was a sounding board for his decision making. Once they peg a player's value, they don't stray too far from their figure, if at all. In Allison's case, he was 33% above where the Bruins were. As you said, they probably gauged his position as being unwavering, which led them to look for at other options.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Unfortunately, I was told that when O'Connell went to bed on Friday night, he had a deal in principle with Mike Milbury, who then gave Ottawa GM Marshall Johnston one more shot to make an offer. Whether it was Dave Scatchard, Tim Connolly or Brad Isbister that ended up being the deal breaker (Ottawa was willing to take Bill Muckalt instead), we'll never know. But you have to wonder what the B's might have looked like with Spezza, Zdeno Chara and either one of Isbister/Scatchard/Connolly instead of Murray and Stumpel. O'Connell had the rug pulled out from under him, which is the way these things go sometimes, but we are left to speculate on what might've been.
Very thought provoking indeed. And if Roenick did sign with Boston, things may have been much different in the playoffs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Allison was the "unnamed player" the B's had tried to deal to the Islanders, so when they then went out and signed Marty Lapointe for the money they had initially offered Allison, I think the writing was on the wall. Once Allison did not file for arbitration, he effectively burned any bridge that might have remained, because I think they were testing him to see if wanting to get back and playing was more important to him or if it was about the money. Once he declined to file, I believe that the B's were resigned to trading him away. That last ditch meeting just after 9/11 with Allison was nothing more than them making sure that if he was going to sign, it would be at their price, not his. Spending $5 million on Allison is one thing, but getting him at a bargain rate is another if he had agreed to it. I don't think they ever believed he would, and I honestly feel that he ceased to be a Bruin the day he announced he wouldn't file for arbitration even though it took the team another three months to find a trading partner.
Agreed, once the arbitration line was crossed, it seemed he was quickly becoming a part of history. I also agree that the Bruins would have him back at their price, but most of us knew that that would never happen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Anyway- I have discussed this many times offline with MeisterBruinmaker and others. From my perspective, I have never agreed that Allison was as valuable to the team as opponents of the trade did. He was unquestionably an outstanding talent, but I feel he was lacking in other areas all of which conspired to ultimately lead to his exit from Boston.
The only questionable facet of Allison that I'm aware of in these discussions was his character. I know the Bruins mentioned it in the contract negotiations and you've mentioned it before. The one thing I have pointed out as a rebuttal is something Allison probably said best himself - he is stubborn yes, but that very trait is probably what helps him excel on the ice that draws from this very stubborness. In other words, though it can be a liability, this facet is what's behind his sheer determination and ability to turn it up when things are on the line. I guess the way I look at it is to some degree most teams have an element of ego on their teams, it's just a matter of managing it. Sometimes the player is too divisive or self centered, but other times it's a matter of channeling the focus to the team. If Allison was a bit of an ego, then as long as he wasn't a big problem child or whiner that effected the team, then I am OK with it considering the trade-off. In other words, because he was close to a 5-tool player who could deliver when it counted, it was worth it living with the temperment. Other than that, I can't think of any other areas he was lacking other than skating - which was a physical issue he tried to improve on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
The black and white version of the deal is this, without even factoring in Jozef Stumpel, Glen Murray has yet to miss a single game with the B's since coming over, and has netted 80 goals in 167 games. Although he's struggling to find the back of the net this year, Murray has been an integral part of the Boston offense since October '01 and will continue to do so for the rest of the year unless traded. Allison has been excellent for the Kings when in the lineup, but has played about half as many games as Murray has. There is definitely some luck involved there- the Kings have experienced what the B's had to deal with during the 1999-2000 season when Allison missed so much time with his wonky wrist.
Agree -- the Bruins have benefitted from this trade in a big way, and luck has played a part. Even Stumpel, a guy who had a checkered injury past, was mostly healthy his entire tenure. The Bruins ended up with two guys who had an impact (though not in the playoffs) since day one, when the Kings didn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
We'll never know if Allison would've been healthy had he stayed in Boston, so while there is a lot of truth to the idea of a solid 1-2 punch in an Allison-Thornton combo up the middle, we don't really know for sure if he would even be playing had the B's decided to keep him happy and in Boston, or whether he'd be on IR collecting a $6-7 million paycheck. What we do know is that Murray has posted back-to-back career years with the Bruins, and has given the team a potent answer from the right side. If he weren't putting the goals in for the B's, who would be providing the scoring from the wing?
It's true, we'll never know. If Allison stayed and was healthy, the Bruins may have gone further in the playoffs, especially if their defense wasn't as one-sided as it was in `02 against Montreal. If in fact Allison turned out to be durable and the Bruins kept him, then they would have undoubtedly had the most difficult pair of centers in the league to defend against. Most teams can put their top defensive pairing on one big line and shut them down, but asking the second pairing to do the same for another line is a different story. Few teams could manage that, if any. Such big, physical, playmaking centers with the skill if Allison and Thornton would just wear the opposing defenders down, physically and mentally. Additionally, Allison would have helped take the leadership burden of Joe's shoulders. There's no doubt Thornton is still early in the maturation process. In any event, it would have been a huge advantage, one that is rare, especially in today's NHL. It didn't turn out, and instead, the Bruins got two impact players who could fill out the roster immediately. Unfortunately, neither had much of an effect in the playoffs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
In closing, I think this debate among Bruins fans will rage eternally, much like the Clemens and Milloy pro's and con's arguments that dominate Red Sox and Patriots discussion boards. Both sides bring a lot of passion to the argument, but neither will ever be able to decisively prove their case one way or the other. Me? I'm just grateful that Murray has stayed healthy and productive while in Boston. I've never wished any ill will on Allison, even if I thought he played a big role in his trade by not doing the things that could've kept him here and forcing the money to be at the forefront of his discontent. I hope he bounces back, wherever he ends up.
My position was always about the lost potential surrounding the dominating 1-2 punch of Allison & Thornton vs the possibility that Stumpel and Murray wouldn't deliver in the crunch. It ended up working out 50/50. Allison has never fulfilled his full potential, but Stumpel/Murray never took their game to a higher level when it counted either.

This is an interesting topic to cover. I've been very critical of the Bruins for this trade because I thought they were foregoing a once in a lifetime opporunity and choosing profitability at the expense of a potential true contender. Nobody knew Allison would have been as injury prone as he turned out to be, or that Murray would be the next John Leclair. In the end, the Bruins didn't get that much further ahead, but they didn't fall back either. In any event, it can still be said that after all these moves, the Bruins have been unable to build a complete team that could succeed in the playoffs. After their head start in 1997 when they landed Allison, Carter, Carrey, Thornton, Samsonov, Gill, Axelsson, Taylor, Dafoe, Kristich in one fell swoop, I expected they would have been able to either win a few more playoff rounds by now or be closer to having a true contender. And while Raycroft, Bergeronk, Jillson, Zinovjev and the kids make for an exciting future, that the B's have 12 or so guys (with roughly 5 of them being core players) heading to unrestricted free agency combined with their past history of questionable committment keeps me in check. That said, though these are legit concerns, at least the Bruins have some real positives going for them.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 04:00 PM
  #20
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
As someone semi-following this story..

It's Allison who is possibly going to lose his career.

Adam Deadmarsh is riding the stationary bike, doing non-contact drills. He is slated to come back late November, but it might be longer.

Allison on the other hand is still suffering from the effects of whiplash. The longer is goes on, the less of a chance it'll ever go away, so the doctors say. Allison has had this for MONTHS now, and right now his return, if it happens, won't be happening until next year. And if it doesn't happen in January, or at all this year, Allison's career is probobly finished...
hey, whats the deal with the Sedins? I hear they are starting to turn the corner- that so? If they were even 60 point players the Nucks would be my pick to come out of the West. I like that team and am looking forward to going the 15th (atleast I think its the 15th- I know I kept the tix) the Canucks have never been the same since they traded Bobby Schmautz to us

DKH is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 05:07 PM
  #21
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
If Allison stayed and was healthy, the Bruins may have gone further in the playoffs, especially if their defense wasn't as one-sided as it was in `02 against Montreal. If in fact Allison turned out to be durable and the Bruins kept him, then they would have undoubtedly had the most difficult pair of centers in the league to defend against. Most teams can put their top defensive pairing on one big line and shut them down, but asking the second pairing to do the same for another line is a different story. Few teams could manage that, if any. Such big, physical, playmaking centers with the skill if Allison and Thornton would just wear the opposing defenders down, physically and mentally. Additionally, Allison would have helped take the leadership burden of Joe's shoulders.
Perhaps. But defense and goaltending win championships.

Would the Bruins have done all that much better with two strong centers, while still lacking the mobile blue liners and a clutch goaltender?

These are questions that will never be answered.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 05:45 PM
  #22
mattkaz
Registered User
 
mattkaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
On October 18th in Jason Allisons ESPN Fantasy news archive, it said: Allison (concussion, whiplash) resumed practice Friday and didn't suffer any setbacks, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

What happened since?

mattkaz is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 06:25 PM
  #23
MeisterBruinmaker
Registered User
 
MeisterBruinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bay area, California
Posts: 6,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Perhaps. But defense and goaltending win championships.

Would the Bruins have done all that much better with two strong centers, while still lacking the mobile blue liners and a clutch goaltender?

These are questions that will never be answered.
No doubt. I agree building a champ starts from the net out. For some reason, the Bruins have been all too willing to live with fundamental flaws or ill-advised risks that preclude better goaltending and defense. Anomalies aside, I've seen too much of this for too long. I mean, for the most part, there hasn't been clutch goaltending since the days of Andy Moog, has there? And on the backline, the preparation for Bourque's retirement has been going on for 6 years now. At least the Bruins finally have Boynton and Jillson to show for their trouble. Still, the point is, whether Allison is on your team or not, you will never get any further than the credible vision of your master planners.

And for conversation sake, if the Bruins had two huge, durable, physical playmaking centers on their roster today, then combined with their goaltending, depth and talented wingers, they'd have many of the pieces you'd need to be a legit contender. All they would have to do is upgrade the defense. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a top player either. As we've recently seen with Carolina and Anaheim (and other teams in the past), you don't have to have a true #1 defenseman to make it to the finals. Core competence will carry you a long ways. The B's would have wanted to focus on that strategic addition that would make the whole unit better, kind of the way Sean Hill did for the Canes two seasons back. In essence, if you had a defense without major flaws, then with clutch goaltending and superior strength up the middle, your team may be good enough to to carry you. I mean, you never know who you will meet in the finals...

Of course, all this can be taken with a grain of salt. However, if by chance the Bruins had this group of core players, and the guys proved to be an effective bunch worthy of cup contention, then the B's should do everything in their power to help get the team to the finals. If they were truly committed to the cup, this is what they would do, and they'd keep the core intact while tweaking the roster over the next few years. All of this would be in an effort to win a championship.

Hmmm, maybe I just think differently.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 08:42 AM
  #24
jr77812
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Contract BS aside I've followed Allison since his days in Portland and it would be sad if this is the way his career comes to an end. Always talented maybe a little under motivated...sorry to see him go though.

jr77812 is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 11:36 PM
  #25
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaz
On October 18th in Jason Allisons ESPN Fantasy news archive, it said: Allison (concussion, whiplash) resumed practice Friday and didn't suffer any setbacks, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

What happened since?
Here's the latest: http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

misterjaggers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.