HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 09:29 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
To reply to some of the points,

Mike8, personally, I think Ron McLean is stooge, pure and simple who's good at ingratiating himself. I hate to over react to media guys as I find we do that a lot, but this guy drives me up the wall. I find him to be a pathetic interviewer. Taste though, right ?

For the record, if I remember correctly,Toshiro's a proud son of the prairies, not a Quebecer, if that puts things into a different context.

As for Cherry, from what I saw, when the hockey world's excited for the playoffs, he seemed bored and disinterested. He has been very clear on his rooting interests, if the public or the CBC doesn't want that on the air, they could do something about it, so follow Quiet Robert's lead and get a new fangled TV with one of those channel changing gizmos.

As for who is and who isn't a racist, deep down, I don't feel Cherry is. I think he's a blowhard self promoter who's done very well for himself. He promotes Canadians and Canadian hockey, but feels the need to put down everyone else while doing so. He knows what sells, he's richer than hell, and knows he's pretty well untouchable. Chauvinism is the right word isn't it ? At the Cage last week, we spoke briefly about Cherry, and my point is that a lot of it is generational. My father uses words I wouldn't, and on occasion, I've told him that he can say what he wants, but to watch his words around the kids, and as I remember , I may not have been that polite about it. otoh, he was raised in a very multi cultural environment and judged no one. The fact that he has to identify anyone Polish,Jewish, French Canadian or Italian with a name makes me cringe, but he treats people in the way he wants to be treated, so what can I say.

I think his generation, right or wrong, did a lot of that. Hey if you can't be perfect, I guess that's ok then. Is the same true for Cherry, I don't know really. I do agree though that I often wish he'd just shut up.

That's my philosophical observation for the day.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Bob in Niagara

I too am a proud son of the prairies, but I have loved the Habs ever since I was old enough to appreciate hockey (I think I was 5 or so).

I also LOVE Don Cherry. He is so hilarious and I laugh so hard whenever he says anything. I also happen to love his stories. I could listen to them for hours. He is great to have on tv.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara
I too am a proud son of the prairies, but I have loved the Habs ever since I was old enough to appreciate hockey (I think I was 5 or so).

I also LOVE Don Cherry. He is so hilarious and I laugh so hard whenever he says anything. I also happen to love his stories. I could listen to them for hours. He is great to have on tv.
I have an idea, we'll wrestle and the loser has to change his mind. Oh wait, we're grown ups and can have different tastes and opinions. I forgot. Bet I would've won though.

Old
04-23-2006, 10:39 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

he was talking about the fact that Cherry speaks about Leafs in a CH series ; he never mentioned the french vs english factor ....

re-read your own post and give a look to a mirror ...
If you can't put two and two together then that's fine ...but don't try to pretend that there is nothing going on to defend the undefenable.

Now on to better things...let's just enjoy the hockey.

Old
04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
mikeg

It's "Hockey Night In Canada" for crissakes...

Anyway, who gives a rats bottom what the old windbag says.. geez.. change the channel, write a letter of complaint to the cbc, whining about it is such a waste....

mike

Old
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Newer TVs have this special feature that allows to change the channel if you don't like what you're watching.
hahaha

I remember my old tv like 5 years ago, this wasn't applicable for me, the only channel I could get was cbc, good times. I didn't even have a remote or anything, just a little knob to turn and a huge antenna that received nothing.

but now I have 5 tv's that are all good, so im set.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:35 PM
iokadia

Well Cherry defended Chris Higgins when Mclean called him a great garbage goal scorer. Cherry replied back saying Phil Espesito scored similar goals and he had 76 of them.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
To reply to some of the points,

Mike8, personally, I think Ron McLean is stooge, pure and simple who's good at ingratiating himself. I hate to over react to media guys as I find we do that a lot, but this guy drives me up the wall. I find him to be a pathetic interviewer. Taste though, right ?
That's interesting. I like him as an interviewer. I don't particularly agree with many of his opinions, but I like how he's willing to press on specific topics. He just comes across as respectful, intelligent and concise to me ... but to each their own.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

Cherry wasn't on the air as a commentator specifically for the Habs game. He and MacLean were covering all the games and the NHL in general. I didn't find what he said to be slighting or offensive--unlike certain other occasions.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:27 PM
tritone

Once again. Who cares?
Don't like him? don't listen
Want to do something about it ? Do something , writing about it here is about as effective as a Jean Chretien speech.

Old
04-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Go Habs Go

Why were you guys watching Don Cherry? Thats the real question imo

Old
04-23-2006, 06:10 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
That's interesting. I like him as an interviewer. I don't particularly agree with many of his opinions, but I like how he's willing to press on specific topics. He just comes across as respectful, intelligent and concise to me ... but to each their own.
He just gets under my skin. You know how it goes, if I ever met the guy, I'd probaly change my tune.

Old
04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
Cause it's entertaining.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:32 PM
deandebean

A couple of nights ago (for the Hens game), he wore his worse coat of all: the one with all the roses (I guess for his wife). Wow. I thought the tissue went out in 65.

Actually, on a 61 inch screen at Costco, it was hilarious. Looked my granma's old bathroom curtain. God bless her soul.

As for Cherry, yesterday, he only followed McLean on the Leaves. Ron was the one wanting to talk about the Leaves, not Don. But you could see the Don wasn't into the game. He looked bored.

By the way, calling Higgins a garbage goal scorer is ludacrous. It shows how many games the Turd saw of Higgins. Ryder IS a garbage goal scorer, but not Higs. Cherry was right to blast him.

I don't like Ron, because he's just the nerdy sidekick of the Don. He's the perfect turd for the Don, because he likes to being kicked around and laughed at. But I still remember when the turd went on strike because he thought he was owed more money. Nobody cared. He reminds me of the turd we used to kick around at school. He was there for that, nothing else. Ron is that kid who meant nothing at school, just being kicked around.

Old
04-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
My girlfriend and I look forward to his fashion displays. Where else would we see some outlandish attire?

Closed Thread