HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Edmonton Oilers @ Detroit Red Wings - Game 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 02:58 PM
O'shizzle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Datsyuk/Shanny/Sameulsson line was terrible today.
Those guys played?

Old
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic
Hi, Oilers fan here. How do you guys feel about the Zetterberg SH breakaway chance? It seemed like Bergeron threw his stick but I can't tell if he threw before or after Zetterberg shot it. Every time I see the replay, it looks like Bergeron threw the stick and the stick hit the puck as Zetterberg went to shoot it. But oh well, I'm not complaining. Also I watched the game on CBC and they were showing how Datsyuk was always a step behind. Datsyuk wouldn't go into the corner where there would have been a scrum for the puck. And Datysuk would always pass the puck away when a couple of Oilers would come towards him to make a hit. They were saying having Datsyuk today was a disadvantage because they felt he wouldn't pick up his game so you guys would be a mad down. Plus you guys broke a lineup that just won a game. Who became a healthy scratch? Well, heres hoping for another good game for both teams, bye.
The sh chance looked like a thrown stick and it's annoying but it happens. Really showcased Z's lack of an extra gear, though.

With Datsyuk, he was replacing Mark mowers on a line that wasn't all that effective the first game anyway. It was changing a winning roster but not exactly taking out an overly effective player.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:00 PM
SGY19

Hate to say it, but this team needs to be rebuilt. They're a good regular season team, but a terrible playoff team. It's time to rebuild from scratch.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Luke

Uhh, I don't know that Detroit didn't care; Edmonton just cared more. They skated hard all game, battled for the puck like their lives were on the line. Detroit had little spurts of play like that, but mostly they were just reacting to Edmonton.

They need to find a way to take control. Edmonton made them look like they didn't understand the playoffs had started already. This is why drawing EDM freaked me out. I'd like to see someone crosscheck Jason Smith's nose right through the back of his skull. I knew I'd start to feel that way!

Wings are pretty easy to figure out: give them no space, no time, clog up center ice; they can't make plays. You're golden. Wings can't seem to do a thing about it. They don't have the SPEED to break the trap and they can't contain the Oilers' speed. It caused turnovers alllll day.

Hope they can make some adjustments for the next game. There will be less pressure on the road, maybe they'll loosen up.

Awesome game by Edmonton. Roloson is NOT very good, and he didn't have to be. Wings need to stop making him look like a ******* all star. If he's going to freeze the puck every time, they need to start winning faceoffs and getting the puck to the net.

Old
O'shizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
Hate to say it, but this team needs to be rebuilt. They're a good regular season team, but a terrible playoff team. It's time to rebuild from scratch.
WHA...oh. It's you. Never mind.

Old
GuloGulo

Quote:
You dont know what a rebuild looks like, neither feels like.
The second the team starts missing playoffs in rebuild style you'll regret this wish.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Ricelund
troll

Quote:
lol, after one loss you're saying they need to start from scratch?

I guess Dallas needs to rebuild too, huh?

04-23-2006, 03:05 PM
DTWings

Sloppy

Now, I haven't gotten to watch many games cuz of my provider, but I think I can say with some confidence that one of our major downfalls today was our passing. A lot of that was the Oils taking away the passing lanes in the N-Zone, but it seemed like we were having trouble handling the passes we did get. Also, like a lot of people are saying, the old guys are stepping up, now we need the younguns to get in here and play. The one vet I'm disappointed in is Shanny, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised, he's relatively inconsistent in the playoffs, but we could really use him stepping up and contributing. The last major gripe I had about today's game was effort. It just didn't look like we wanted it today. Edmonton was beating us to all the loose pucks, winning battles along the boards, we just couldn't get momentum going at all. The one thought keeping me sane is the fact that the Wings are notorious for starting the playoffs a little weak, and turning it on a few games into the first round. I'm looking forward to game 3, and I expect to see a much different team on the ice than we had tonight.......i hope.

Old
O'shizzle

On the thrown stick thing...if you'll remember, the Maltby got called for some like that earlier this year. What happened is he swung his stick at the puck while laying on the ice, and his stick hit the skates of the opposing player (I can't remember who it was).
I didn't see a definitive replay of the play today, but it may have been the same thing. Either way, to blame the loss on this would be really weak, and masking some other problems that need to be adressed.

Old
Hank19*

Huge surprise! Another loss to a less talented but more physical team playing the trap.

It's funny that the Wings have had humungous difficutly in beating teams that have implemented this style over the past 3 seasons and yet we still can't do a thing about it.
It's also amazing that, once again, our best forward is a 40 year old with one leg.
Datsyuk looks absolutely terrified out there. 3 goals in 38 games. Pathetic. And I don't want to hear one person here say that 'Well, he WAS injured'. Bullcrap. He's looked the same in every single playoff game he's been in; horrible.
The Wings should trade him immediately once they get bounced from the playoffs.
And I know I'm being all doom and gloom but why shouldn't I be. The Wings have shown that they can be easily beaten when another team implements a certain system. All of our soft Euro's can't do a thing out there. 90% of our shots come from the peremiter and we end up making goalies like Roloson look way better than they are.
Zetterberg and Dats are so weak on the puck it's pathetic. They get knocked off so easily. And Draper has no hands whatsoever. Move him down to the 4th line and bring Franzen up to the top line with Dats and Shanny.

Looks like another early exit fans. This team is built for regular season success but their soft play has no place in the postseason.
Give me guys like Torres and Pisani over Datsyuk and Zetts in the playoffs anyday.

And can someone please tell Lang that we're in the playoffs now! Floating and playing uninterested in the regular season is one thing, but come on!

P.S. If I have to watch one more horrible Shanny pass or our dmen play around with the puck in front of our net I'm going to throw my hockey skate through the TV.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:08 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Uhh, I don't know that Detroit didn't care; Edmonton just cared more. They skated hard all game, battled for the puck like their lives were on the line. Detroit had little spurts of play like that, but mostly they were just reacting to Edmonton.

They need to find a way to take control. Edmonton made them look like they didn't understand the playoffs had started already. This is why drawing EDM freaked me out. I'd like to see someone crosscheck Jason Smith's nose right through the back of his skull. I knew I'd start to feel that way!

Wings are pretty easy to figure out: give them no space, no time, clog up center ice; they can't make plays. You're golden. Wings can't seem to do a thing about it. They don't have the SPEED to break the trap and they can't contain the Oilers' speed. It caused turnovers alllll day.

Hope they can make some adjustments for the next game. There will be less pressure on the road, maybe they'll loosen up.

Awesome game by Edmonton. Roloson is NOT very good, and he didn't have to be. Wings need to stop making him look like a ******* all star. If he's going to freeze the puck every time, they need to start winning faceoffs and getting the puck to the net.
Unfortunately, the Wings are predictable, the trap usually kills them, but it wasn't like they were blown out today, it's something that good teams should be able to overcome. If they can't, then the Wings are just a paper tiger and the end result will be exactly the same as 2003 and 2004.

They can do it, but honestly I figured they'd get to the 2nd or 3rd round before running out of gas, watching them today just made it look like they didn't care and it may over before it even starts.

I'll just tell myself it's only one game and their get their legs back in Edmonton. Must be positive.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:08 PM
O'shizzle

Let's all calm down here. It's only been 2 games, and if you were one of the slappys who predicted a short series...maybe it's you with the problem

To all of you guys with your panties in a bunch: Good thing the players can handle pressure better than you. We'd be sunk for sure.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:11 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shizzle
On the thrown stick thing...if you'll remember, the Maltby got called for some like that earlier this year. What happened is he swung his stick at the puck while laying on the ice, and his stick hit the skates of the opposing player (I can't remember who it was).
I didn't see a definitive replay of the play today, but it may have been the same thing. Either way, to blame the loss on this would be really weak, and masking some other problems that need to be adressed.
It should have been called. But truthfully, I didn't see it until the replay myself.
So it can't be that easy for an official to see.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke

Disagree about more speed being the be-all and end-all. I think it has more to do with intangibles than physical traits. You have to be willing to do the ugly stuff to win and too many of the Wings are not showing that willingness. Look at our most effective line: Williams-Lang-Yzerman. How much pure speed do you see there? not a whole lot, but they have all shown the willingness to get their noses dirty and go into the high traffic areas. Holmstrom's effective as hell, but he's a horrible skater.

The problem is the guys we need to step up and do some ugly stuff to win, aren't.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:12 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Everyone, MACT said its not a trap that they play....ok, anyhow, I think they said Shanny has like o or 1 shot in 2 games in regulation time. Is this true?

Old
04-23-2006, 03:13 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
The sh chance looked like a thrown stick and it's annoying but it happens. Really showcased Z's lack of an extra gear, though.

I wouldn't be so hard on Zetterberg there, Bergeron is one fast little dude.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:20 PM
MightyOil

Quote:
Ok as an Oiler fan here we'll take like 75% of your roster.....good game
could have gone either way just like the first....gonna be a great series
good luck...(but not too much)

Old
04-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

How about putting Franzén and Holmström with Zetterberg? Two mules is better than one...

Old
04-23-2006, 03:26 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
How about putting Franzén and Holmström with Zetterberg? Two mules is better than one...
That almost makes too much sense...

Old
04-23-2006, 03:39 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Disagree about more speed being the be-all and end-all. I think it has more to do with intangibles than physical traits. You have to be willing to do the ugly stuff to win and too many of the Wings are not showing that willingness. Look at our most effective line: Williams-Lang-Yzerman. How much pure speed do you see there? not a whole lot, but they have all shown the willingness to get their noses dirty and go into the high traffic areas. Holmstrom's effective as hell, but he's a horrible skater.

The problem is the guys we need to step up and do some ugly stuff to win, aren't.

Yeah, well Lang and Williams made some awful plays in their own end, too.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:41 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
That almost makes too much sense...

Sounds good to me. Actually, those guys were out there to start the third, and then babcock went back to his regular lines.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Look at our most effective line: Williams-Lang-Yzerman. How much pure speed do you see there? not a whole lot, but they have all shown the willingness to get their noses dirty and go into the high traffic areas. Holmstrom's effective as hell, but he's a horrible skater.

Exactly! Unforunutaley we dont' have enough of those guys that are willing to do that. Datsyuk is totally fine with dancing around along the boards, or anywhere else that isn't 20 feet near the net. He's as soft as they come and he's starting to remind me of Craig Janey and Jimmy Carson. Two great, offensive players, that didn't have one testicle between them.
Datysuk hasn't scored in 22 straight playoff games. For a player with his skill that's beyond reproach. He got a large contract not to give us highlight real goals in October and January but rather for April, May and June. He's been an absolute bust as a playoff performer thus far.

And for the individual that told us not to get our panties in a bunch, give me one good reason that we shouldn't be worried. This game was a carbon copy of any of the games the Wings played against Anaheim, Nashville and Calgary. The Wings have proven that they have no answer whatsoever to this style of play.
Edmonton will continue to force our panzy forwards to the boards where they are easily knocked off the puck.
When we won those cups we had guys like Lapointe, McCarty, Homer and a prime Shanny, Maltby and Draper mucking it out, paying the price. With the exception of Homer, we don't have any of those guys any more.
It's time for Holland to blow up the current blueprint and start drafting and acquiring rugged North American players that play like someone stole something from their mothers.
Unless Zetts and Dats can sack up and play like they are leaders and the future of this team the closest we'll get to the Cup is at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:45 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyOil
As a Red Wings fan we'll take your entire roster. At least your team knows how to win when it matters. The Red Wings just aren't built for the playoffs. They lack leadership, grit, and the ability to score goals.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Good game for the Oilers. They played exactly as they should. The Wings on the other hand turned the puck over way too often and were extremely sloppy in their own zone.
As an Oilers fan I wouldn't want too many guys off our roster. We don't have playoff type players. With the exception of Homer, Maltby, Stevie, Cheli and Lidstrom I'm not sure I'd take anyone else.

Congrats on the good win. Your mucking and shot blocking should be a something the Wings should look into.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:50 PM
doublejack

Quote:
You know, I had anticipated this would be a great series. But it's been anything but so far. Edmonton's continual trapping has curbed my enthusiasm. I just want this series over now... here's hoping the Wings win the next 3.

Closed Thread