HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Edmonton Oilers @ Detroit Red Wings - Game 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 03:52 PM
8snake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19
Exactly! Unforunutaley we dont' have enough of those guys that are willing to do that. Datsyuk is totally fine with dancing around along the boards, or anywhere else that isn't 20 feet near the net. He's as soft as they come and he's starting to remind me of Craig Janey and Jimmy Carson. Two great, offensive players, that didn't have one testicle between them.
Datysuk hasn't scored in 22 straight playoff games. For a player with his skill that's beyond reproach. He got a large contract not to give us highlight real goals in October and January but rather for April, May and June. He's been an absolute bust as a playoff performer thus far.

And for the individual that told us not to get our panties in a bunch, give me one good reason that we shouldn't be worried. This game was a carbon copy of any of the games the Wings played against Anaheim, Nashville and Calgary. The Wings have proven that they have no answer whatsoever to this style of play.
Edmonton will continue to force our panzy forwards to the boards where they are easily knocked off the puck.
When we won those cups we had guys like Lapointe, McCarty, Homer and a prime Shanny, Maltby and Draper mucking it out, paying the price. With the exception of Homer, we don't have any of those guys any more.
It's time for Holland to blow up the current blueprint and start drafting and acquiring rugged North American players that play like someone stole something from their mothers.
Unless Zetts and Dats can sack up and play like they are leaders and the future of this team the closest we'll get to the Cup is at the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Hank, my man...be easy. It's one game. The playoffs are a roller-coaster ride of ups and downs.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:55 PM
penguin91

I agree with the trapping style now of edmonton to slow down the wings has been horrible to watch. I hope the wings just figure a way to get some better chances on goal as mentioned before too many perimeter shots are being taken. Dats has always shyed himself away from the hitting in the playoffs, I think he needs to forecheck more and get himself into a comfort zone. We need him to step up and take control of his line with Shanny or else it will be a lot closer series than I would like to see.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Hank, my man...be easy. It's one game. The playoffs are a roller-coaster ride of ups and downs.
I know I should relax more. But I think I would feel better if the Wings had played better and at least showed some semblance of knowing how to beat this system.
Once again we're complaining of not scoring enough goals. And once again all our shots are coming from the parameter.
Plus, I'm not going to happy staying up past midnight if the Wings lose another game like this in Edmonton.
Please Babcock. Find a system that eliminates the trap.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:02 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19
I know I should relax more. But I think I would feel better if the Wings had played better and at least showed some semblance of knowing how to beat this system.
Once again we're complaining of not scoring enough goals. And once again all our shots are coming from the parameter.
Plus, I'm not going to happy staying up past midnight if the Wings lose another game like this in Edmonton.
Please Babcock. Find a system that eliminates the trap.
Trust me, I thought the Wings would destroy Edmonton this afternoon. They played worse than they did on Friday, and I thought they werent great then. Detroit needs to play a simpler game and dump the puck in and have guys going to take a man and support the puck. If they do that, they can generate more chances in front and back to the points for shots and deflections. It takes a commitment and willingness to forecheck though...we'll see how commited Detroit is to pay that price. And dont worry about staying up late....I think those Oiler games are at 9, so you'll be alright there.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
You know, I had anticipated this would be a great series. But it's been anything but so far. Edmonton's continual trapping has curbed my enthusiasm. I just want this series over now... here's hoping the Wings win the next 3.
I was sure we wouldn't have to worry about another boring trapping series with the Oilers, but I guess if that's what works against the Wings it's what they're going to do. Hopefully Babcock can figuere it out.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:11 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Trust me, I thought the Wings would destroy Edmonton this afternoon. They played worse than they did on Friday, and I thought they werent great then. Detroit needs to play a simpler game and dump the puck in and have guys going to take a man and support the puck. If they do that, they can generate more chances in front and back to the points for shots and deflections. It takes a commitment and willingness to forecheck though...we'll see how commited Detroit is to pay that price. And dont worry about staying up late....I think those Oiler games are at 9, so you'll be alright there.
I wasn't surprised that the Red Wings lost today. They played terrible on Friday. It was a total confidence builder for Edmonton. This series is over. Edmonton now has home ice advantage and all the confidence in the world.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:14 PM
nik jr

don't think they're trying to score w/ those weak long shots, they're just trying to start off w/ faceoff in offensive zone w/o going thru trap. or get rebounds. but not getting enough offensive faceoff wins or rebounds.

looks just like anaheim....... except we won OT game 1.

they need to dump and chase. not spending much time in edm end. can get some cycling, spend time in offensive zone, draw penalties.

yzerman is again the best forward. what's gonna happen next yr? maybe they'll sign him for next few yrs just for playoffs.

maybe z and datsyuk should play together. z isn't creating much and datsyuk looks not 100%.

shanahan doing very little. what happened to that early season drive to net, power forward talk?

lang again losing puck for no reason. it's really bizarre.

D are ok. too man turnovers, 1 is too many, of course. but i like how physically Dmen are playing.

no reason at all to attack european players. only yzerman and lidstrom seem to be playing well. plenty of NA's aren't doing enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shizzle
On the thrown stick thing...if you'll remember, the Maltby got called for some like that earlier this year. What happened is he swung his stick at the puck while laying on the ice, and his stick hit the skates of the opposing player (I can't remember who it was).
I didn't see a definitive replay of the play today, but it may have been the same thing. Either way, to blame the loss on this would be really weak, and masking some other problems that need to be adressed.
i think it was corvo in LA. he scored on howard.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:18 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr
don't think they're trying to score w/ those weak long shots, they're just trying to start off w/ faceoff in offensive zone w/o going thru trap. or get rebounds. but not getting enough offensive faceoff wins or rebounds.

they need to dump and chase. not spending much time in edm end. can get some cycling, spend time in offensive zone, draw penalties.

yzerman is again the best forward. what's gonna happen next yr? maybe they'll sign him for next few yrs just for playoffs.

maybe z and datsyuk should play together. z isn't creating much and datsyuk looks not 100%.

shanahan doing very little. what happened to that early season drive to net, power forward talk?

D are ok. too man turnovers, 1 is too many, of course. but i like how physically Dmen are playing.

no reason at all to attack european players. only yzerman and lidstrom seem to be playing well. plenty of NA's aren't doing enough.

Well it is a European team at its core( minus Yzerman) so beating traps should be fairly easy to do and I believe they will. Maltby is the super goat today, you have got to be hard on the puck and take care of it. Williams gets honorable mention for not seeing his puck out on the wall.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr

I'd add Kronwall as well. Lidstrom, Kronwall and Yzerman have been the best three Wings. Lang, Franzen, Cleary and Lebda are in the next group. Everyone else has to pick their games up big time.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
I wasn't surprised that the Red Wings lost today. They played terrible on Friday. It was a total confidence builder for Edmonton. This series is over. Edmonton now has home ice advantage and all the confidence in the world.
You may as well just play your X box and stay away from these boards with that attitude.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Well it is a European team at its core( minus Yzerman) so beating traps should be fairly easy to do and I believe they will. Maltby is the super goat today, you have got to be hard on the puck and take care of it. Williams gets honorable mention for not seeing his puck out on the wall.
Yeah, Maltby's play was inexcusible, as was Williams....but the goat of this series so far is Schneider, and it's not even close.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
SGY19

Quote:
I'd add Kronwall as well. Lidstrom, Kronwall and Yzerman have been the best three Wings. Lang, Franzen, Cleary and Lebda are in the next group. Everyone else has to pick their games up big time.

The whole team needs to pick up their games. They all need to play better and it all starts with the Captain. He needs to start converting some of his chances and score some goals to lead this team. Everybody needs to start playing better or they will be golfing very soon.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Enough already. It's one game. If you want to jump ship, go ahead.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:45 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Enough already. It's one game. If you want to jump ship, go ahead.
One big game. This was a momentum shifter. The Red Wings need to play much better. They need to find a way to score goals.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
One big game. This was a momentum shifter. The Red Wings need to play much better. They need to find a way to score goals.
Did you expect them to go16-0??Did you not expect bumps in the road? I'm not saying things don't need to change because they obviously do,but this is playoff hockey.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Did you expect them to go16-0??Did you not expect bumps in the road? I'm not saying things don't need to change because they obviously do,but this is playoff hockey.
No, of course not. This is a really bad loss because it gives them home ice advantage. The Red Wings seem to lack confidence and this loss is not what they needed right now.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:55 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Momentum can last all of one shift if the Wings come out and put one in the net early. Playoff hockey is about matchups and grinding it out. It is 1-1 not 3-0. I am not a Wing fan but I appear wherever a trap needs to be beaten. I would be especially disgusted if a an up and down team like the Oilers have success trapping and stay with it. Their trap sucks, it is not on the level of the Wilds. How could it be they just put it in. The trap is no excuse because it can be beat- so Babcock and crew need to do the right things and they will be fine.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
No, of course not. This is a really bad loss because it gives them home ice advantage. The Red Wings seem to lack confidence and this loss is not what they needed right now.
Don't forget we just set the record for most road wins this year. The Wings might play better on the road when they have to play a simplified game. Go watch Game 3 against Vancouver from the 2002 playoffs, a road game, Wings down 2 games to none. Should make you feel better.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Momentum can last all of one shift if the Wings come out and put one in the net early. Playoff hockey is about matchups and grinding it out. It is 1-1 not 3-0. I am not a Wing fan but I appear wherever a trap needs to be beaten. I would be especially disgusted if a an up and down team like the Oilers have success trapping and stay with it. Their trap sucks, it is not on the level of the Wilds. How could it be they just put it in. The trap is no excuse because it can be beat- so Babcock and crew need to do the right things and they will be fine.
A noble cause.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:07 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Don't forget we just set the record for most road wins this year. The Wings might play better on the road when they have to play a simplified game. Go watch Game 3 against Vancouver from the 2002 playoffs, a road game, Wings down 2 games to none. Should make you feel better.
Yes we did set the record for most road wins, but that was in the regular season. The Red Wings also had 29 more points than Edmonton in the regular season and what good has that done?

Old
04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Yes we did set the record for most road wins, but that was in the regular season. The Red Wings also had 29 more points than Edmonton in the regular season and what good has that done?
Moving on....

Old
04-23-2006, 06:28 PM
1datsyuk3*

Quote:
As a Red Wings fan we'll take your entire roster. At least your team knows how to win when it matters. The Red Wings just aren't built for the playoffs. They lack leadership, grit, and the ability to score goals.
you were suprisingly quiet after our win on friday....it's a 7 game series honestly calm down....

Old
04-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
The whole team needs to pick up their games. They all need to play better and it all starts with the Captain. He needs to start converting some of his chances and score some goals to lead this team. Everybody needs to start playing better or they will be golfing very soon.
I disagree. If the Wings need a battered 40 year old to be their main offensive weapon they'll be in trouble. I'm still not sure if it's a compliment to Yzerman or a detriment to the Wings that Stevie Y has, yet again, been their best forward. Imagine what this guy would be doing with 2 healthy knees.

For me, the key to this series is getting more shots through from the point, STOP the point shots from Edmonton's D and Zetts and Dats playing like the superstars they're supposed to be.
So far, in both games, this hasn't happened. If not for two horrible goals in Game 1, we could easily be down 2-0.
And I think we should also be concentrating on shadowing Pronger while the Oilers are in the offensive zone. This guy has generated almost all of Edmonton's offense. It's time to block a few shots.

Ugh. I still have this sick feeling in my stomach. This looks like Anaheim 03 and Calgary 04 all over again.
We NEED to find a way to generate offense from the middle of the ice. No more lame shots from the boards.

I watched the San Jose game and I was thinking how nice it would be if Dats or Zetts could play like Marleau. He plays with an edge and fights through most of the stuff Dats avoids at all costs and Zetts falls over at the site of.

Old
04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
8snake

Watching Ottawa\Tampa Bay....I'm so jealous. No trapping, odd-man rushes everywhere. Just up and down, attack and counter-attack. But I guess it's like a basketball team that cant shoot....you put a zone on them. Detroit hasnt shown the willingness to forecheck consistently, so you trap them to death.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:19 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Even with his giveaway, I'd still rank Maltby in the first or second group.
Lang has good moments and bad moments.

Just wondering when he lost the ability to keep the freakin' puck on his stick. I think Lidstrom and Chelios have been good.

Where the hell is Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Schneider?

Closed Thread