HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Edmonton Oilers @ Detroit Red Wings - Game 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Hank19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
I don't think anyone is being unrealistic about Datsyuk. We all know he hadn't played in 3 weeks. I wasn't expecting him to have a multi-point game and be the first star. But the trouble is, Pavel's got a history. Until he shows me something, anything, I'm going to be on him hard.
If Pavel has another poor playoff performance I think he's gone. He's going to be 28 and he's been in this league for 5 years now. He knows what's needed to succeed in the playoffs it's just a matter of putting forth the effort.
If a small 5'6" player like St.Louis can battle through sticks and bodies there's no reason Datsyuk can't.
I stand by that he's simply scared to be out there (see Kelly Hrudey's comments and 'highlight's he put together on CBC). In fact, if he stinks it up in the playoffs this year and next I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him return to Russia for good. No more big bad men to push him around and intimidate him in the spring.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Stuy*

Didn't Detoilet sign him to a 5 year deal? lol then the Dead Things would really be screwed next year.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:59 PM
1datsyuk3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19
If Pavel has another poor playoff performance I think he's gone. In fact, if he stinks it up in the playoffs this year and next I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him return to Russia for good. No more big bad men to push him around and intimidate him in the spring.
Are you smoking crack?

You don't just send our leading point producer back to Russia b/c he was on a team that got pwned by Gigure or when he is hurried back from an injury....

Patience my friend

Old
04-24-2006, 02:02 PM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuy
Didn't Detoilet sign him to a 5 year deal? lol then the Dead Things would really be screwed next year.
"Russian center Pavel Datsyuk signed a two-year contract worth $3.9 million (Ђ3.24 million) per season with the Detroit Red Wings on Monday."

http://newsfromrussia.com/sport/2005/09/27/63767.html

Read up, then come try bigmouth, kiddo.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1datsyuk3
Are you smoking crack?

You don't just send our leading point producer back to Russia b/c he was on a team that got pwned by Gigure or when he is hurried back from an injury....

Patience my friend
Who cares about who leads this team in the regular season??? What has Pavel EVER done in the playoffs (When it acutally matters).

Remember, both Craig Janey and Jimmy Carson were awesome offensive players. But both proved that they couldn't handle the rigors of rough playoff life and both were out of the league way before they were out of their primes.

You keep tooting Datsyuk's horn all you want. But this guy hasn't shown me one thing yet in the postseason. He's scared out of his mongloid head and those clips Hrudey showed were very convincing in proving my point.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:47 PM
nik jr

why exactly is datsyuk singled out so much? almost all are sub-par. i can't think of anyone outside of yzerman and lidstrom who have really played well last few playoff yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19
Who cares about who leads this team in the regular season??? What has Pavel EVER done in the playoffs (When it acutally matters).

Remember, both Craig Janey and Jimmy Carson were awesome offensive players. But both proved that they couldn't handle the rigors of rough playoff life and both were out of the league way before they were out of their primes.

You keep tooting Datsyuk's horn all you want. But this guy hasn't shown me one thing yet in the postseason. He's scared out of his mongloid head and those clips Hrudey showed were very convincing in proving my point.
we can't rely on any evidence from just 1 game after weeks of injury. iirc, babcock didn't think he should play. he might be avoiding contact b/c of injury.

but history is there. datsyuk certainly is a soft player.
but he's not bad along boards, or at cycling. in torino he even threw a few open ice hits.
calgary in reg season is more physical than this series, but he plays ok there.

still have games left. we'll see.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:52 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr
why exactly is datsyuk singled out so much? almost all are sub-par. i can't think of anyone outside of yzerman and lidstrom who have really played well last few playoff yrs.

we can't rely on any evidence from just 1 game after weeks of injury. iirc, babcock didn't think he should play. he might be avoiding contact b/c of injury.

but history is there. datsyuk certainly is a soft player.
but he's not bad along boards, or at cycling. in torino he even threw a few open ice hits.
calgary in reg season is more physical than this series, but he plays ok there.

still have games left. we'll see.
This smacks of 99-01, when Ozzie was blamed for every loss despite the fact that he was either injured or playing well. Some people have their whipping boys and they'll use the opportunity to blame them whenever possible. It's clear that Pavel is Hank19's whipping boy. And he's earned himself the inaugural spot on my IGNORE list by calling him a "mongloid" (sic).

Old
04-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
Yes that upper Thigh, Eh-um! Thumb Eh-um, injury looks like it is really affecting his stickhandling,eh?
His stickhandling was fine. It was his skating that was the problem. And he looked tentative all night. He cant be tentative and successful at the same time.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The way some people here go on, you'd think:

1. The Wings were losing this series with no hope whatsoever of winning.

2. Datsyuk is the only player in NHL history to have bad numbers in the playoffs. The suggestion that he'd quit the NHL over that, and lose millions of dollars in the process, is nothing short of hilarious.

3. Detroit is the least successful team in the history of the NHL playoffs.

4. Detroit is the only team having a tough go of things this offseason. "Built-for-the-playoffs" darlings like Dallas and Calgary are coasting through the playoffs on their way to easy series wins.

I'm going to predict the Wings win both games on the road and come back to the Joe with a chance to close out the series.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon

2. Datsyuk is the only player in NHL history to have bad numbers in the playoffs. The suggestion that he'd quit the NHL over that, and lose millions of dollars in the process, is nothing short of hilarious.

4. Detroit is the only team having a tough go of things this offseason. "Built-for-the-playoffs" darlings like Dallas and Calgary are coasting through the playoffs on their way to easy series wins.

I'm going to predict the Wings win both games on the road and come back to the Joe with a chance to close out the series.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon

Yes, I confirm this.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:34 PM
nik jr

this so far looks very like failures of past few playoff yrs, so a little panic is to be expected.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:44 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr
this so far looks very like failures of past few playoff yrs, so a little panic is to be expected.
That's what worries me. The Red Wings are losing exactly the same way. Teams have figured out how to beat Detroit. I actually started worrying when the Edmonton Oilers said they were glad to face us instead of Dallas.

Old
04-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
That's what worries me. The Red Wings are losing exactly the same way. Teams have figured out how to beat Detroit. I actually started worrying when the Edmonton Oilers said they were glad to face us instead of Dallas.
Thank you!!! That's basically what I've been saying in my various rants on this thread.
Everyone here takes a broad look at the picture and says "Hey, it's still 1-1. There's lots to play". But I think you need to take a much closer look. Look at HOW the Wings are playing. They're having the same issues as when they lost to Anaheim and Calgary.
If the Wings totally dominated the Oilers but were simply snake bit that would be one thing. But the trap is totally owning them. Our best players and our coaching staff are, again baffled as to how to solve it.
The Wings need to show Edmonton that they will break down their "press" and dominate game 3. Anything less than a stellar showing only spells doom for Detroit later in this series and especially in Round 2. If they're lucky enough to move on they will more than likely be facing a team that will be a lot deeper and stronger than Edmonton with a better goalie.

Please Wings, show me that you finally have found the trick to beating the trap! And please Dats, Zetts and Lang, show up for Game 3.

Old
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
nik jr

especially bad would be if it's getting to the players, if they're seeing anaheim and calgary in their heads, and losing hope and confidence.

Old
04-25-2006, 01:03 AM
midwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
But the trouble is, Pavel's got a history. Until he shows me something, anything, I'm going to be on him hard.
Red wings fans have a history too. A history of seeing doom and totally overreacting as soon as Wings lose 1 game. It's really pathetic when you think of it. And you doubters that can actually attend games at JLA better cheer harder than ever for your team when they return to Detroit. Because what this team really needs is a better, more supportive home crowd. Too bad that they can only trade away players and not fans.

Old
04-25-2006, 06:12 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
The Wings ALWAYS start slow in the playoffs. It's the years when they find their game before it's too late that they go on and make noise.

Old
04-25-2006, 06:15 AM
midwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
The Wings ALWAYS start slow in the playoffs. It's the years when they find their game before it's too late that they go on and make noise.
True. I think Wings will win the series.

Old
04-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter
Red wings fans have a history too. A history of seeing doom and totally overreacting as soon as Wings lose 1 game. It's really pathetic when you think of it. And you doubters that can actually attend games at JLA better cheer harder than ever for your team when they return to Detroit. Because what this team really needs is a better, more supportive home crowd. Too bad that they can only trade away players and not fans.
Again, look deeper into that loss. In fact, look deeper into Game 1's victory.
I bet you were one of the people that were still yelling "Stay calm, they've only lost 3 games, it's not over yet" when they were down 3-0 against Anaheim or 3-2 against Calgary.
The Wings look just as lost in the first two games of this series as they did against Anaheim and Calgary.
Nobodies yelling "Wings suck!", but they're asking and hoping that the Wings management and players can step it up a notch and find a way to beat this system.
It's been mentioned a hundred different times already but the Wings are 3-9 against teams that play this type of trap. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that we're going to rip Edmonton to shreds. Until Detroit can show us that they can break down this trap and slap around their opponent people like myself will always be worried that any team that implements this trap can and will beat Detroit in a 7 game series.

What I'd like to see tonight is Datsyuk really exert himself and attempt to get his nose dirty fighting for that puck. I've yet to see him show that dogged personality in the postseason. And that's the type of determination that our scorers showed when they won those Cups in 97,98 and 02.

Closed Thread