HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

kOHARSKI

View Poll Results: Which is the worst Ref
Mcgeough 4 10.26%
Fraser 21 53.85%
Koharski 9 23.08%
joanette 1 2.56%
pollock 2 5.13%
spada 2 5.13%
McCreary 0 0%
Marouelli 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Spada

Old
04-23-2006, 07:06 PM
greatlakeshab

vCash: 500
Make a poll. Fraser would probably win for teflon hair and worst officiating

Old
04-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakeshab
Right... and Harper won our election, Bush won in the States. By no means does majority = smarter. Fraser is easily the best referee in the NHL, and the league agrees with me.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
DerekT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Right... and Harper won our election, Bush won in the States. By no means does majority = smarter. Fraser is easily the best referee in the NHL, and the league agrees with me.

Self defeating argument?

Since You + The League does not mean you + the league = smarter.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninot
Self defeating argument?

Since You + The League does not mean you + the league = smarter.
No, but in this instance, the League is the only thing that matters...

Old
04-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Stefan

But no, it's not a self-defeating argument at all. I said the majority is not smarter all the time. And by myself, and the NHL being the minority, goes to further prove my statement. Might wanna read a little closer...?

Old
04-23-2006, 07:44 PM
DerekT

I think, since the league is trying to market itself to the fans now, that it should listen to the fans.

Besides, just because the league thinks its right, doesn't mean it is.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Stefan

Quote:
I think, since the league is trying to market itself to the fans now, that it should listen to the fans.

Besides, just because the league thinks its right, doesn't mean it is.
The SECOND a league starts listening to fans opinion on officiating in their sport, is the instant the league loses all shreads of credibility. Fans are ridiculously biased, and like I have elluded to earlier, generally have not even the slightest clue about refereeing until they get pissed off.

So I'm going to have to viamently disagree with your statement. It's ludicrous, in my opinion.

But let's suppose the NHL wants to ruin the league and have fans decide what to do in regards to the referees. Who do you suggest referees these games? OHL refs? AHL? Swiss Elite league? These guys are the best in the world, and as such, fans should just let the league deal with these internal matters.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
DerekT

So the NHL starting it's major crack down, since the begining of the year, had nothing to do with marketting to the fans? It was purely on the whim of the rules comition and Gary Bettman?

Also, Bettman threatening any refs who put their whistle in their pocket for the playoffs? Not at all tied to the NHL's drive for ratings?

You're very right. The NHL does nothing in response to the fans.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Stefan

Not what I meant. I was simply saying that allowing the fans to decide who should be working NHL games would be an absolute joke. That was the sense I got from what you were saying anyways.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:58 PM
DerekT

Well, the thought of it is amusing.

Voting on TSN.ca polls, "who should the ref be" lol.

But I think the NHL is listening to the fans about which refs are tending to blow games. And that's a good thing.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Well, the thought of it is amusing.

Voting on TSN.ca polls, "who should the ref be" lol.

But I think the NHL is listening to the fans about which refs are tending to blow games. And that's a good thing.
I don't think they're listening to the fans... They're listening to the staff of referee supervisors. Big difference. Supervisors understand refereeing, fans don't. It's just that simple.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
DerekT

The refs haven't been as publically hawked as much as they are now in any of the previous years. This is partly to do with the change in tolerance, but also because they don't want to alienate fans because of bad calls. You can't seperate the two.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Quiet Robert

I hate Kerry Fraser. He's probably the worst. He makes the dumbest calls and always has to be the center of attention. Plus his stupid hair annoys me. I don't understand how he's been around for so long.

Mick McGoo is quite a useless official as well.

McCreary I really like and Koharski I actually don't have much of a problem with. Their games are usually pretty consistent.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I hate Kerry Fraser. He's probably the worst. He makes the dumbest calls and always has to be the center of attention. Plus his stupid hair annoys me. I don't understand how he's been around for so long.

Mick McGoo is quite a useless official as well.
You can hate Kerry Fraser all you like. But you don't work for 26 years because you're the worst. Nuff said on that one.

As for this 'McGoo' fellow I'm going to assume you're just uneducated on it and you mean McGeough, but yep I'd have to say you're wrong on that one too...

Old
04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
deandebean

Stéphane Auger is the best, IMHO. He's fair and sharp.

Mick McGeough is the worse, no doubt. He's been there for a long time, but so was Stewart and he was worse than the ref in Slap Shot.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
As for this 'McGoo' fellow I'm going to assume you're just uneducated on it and you mean McGeough, but yep I'd have to say you're wrong on that one too...
McGoo is in fact McGeough, but it's funnier to spell it McGoo. I guess we just disagree. He blows chunks. He's inconsistent and basically just always seems like he's watching some other game.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
HF-Addict

And here I thought VAN left the boards for goods...

On the refs........McGoo, Kohraski, Fraser all sux. Fraser is just a one man show, you never know when he is gonna strike, but each time he does, he is going for the home-run.

See...giving 2 min at Michel Therrien while the team is alreayd down by a man because HE doesn't like how he is being talked. Grow a spine, you are a ref, not the center of the game.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
See...giving 2 min at Michel Therrien while the team is alreayd down by a man because HE doesn't like how he is being talked. Grow a spine, you are a ref, not the center of the game.
It's all perspective. Why should Fraser put up with continued abuse from that moron? How about he realizes ALL he could accomplish by yelling at a ref is getting his team another penalty. Therrien should grow a spine, he's a coach, not the centre of the game.

Referees do not decide what happens in the game. They react to the actions of others, though this is a very very hard concept for people to grasp, I realize. Generally all sense of accountability goes out the window when you throw on a pair of skates.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
deandebean

Quote:
The SECOND a league starts listening to fans opinion on officiating in their sport, is the instant the league loses all shreads of credibility. Fans are ridiculously biased, and like I have elluded to earlier, generally have not even the slightest clue about refereeing until they get pissed off.

So I'm going to have to viamently disagree with your statement. It's ludicrous, in my opinion.

But let's suppose the NHL wants to ruin the league and have fans decide what to do in regards to the referees. Who do you suggest referees these games? OHL refs? AHL? Swiss Elite league? These guys are the best in the world, and as such, fans should just let the league deal with these internal matters.

John D'Amico was, by far, one of the worse line judge in the world, but kept his job by sucking up to his patrons. Doesn't prove a thing, bud.

Go ask all the ex-refs who worked with John D'Amico. They'll tell you plenty of stories about his sucking up.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:52 PM
NewGuy

Kevin Pollock is the worst referee in the NHL and it's not even close. He's officiating the Flames and Ducks game tonight. I can't believe that he is in the playoffs after his performance this year. I have yet to see one game where he hasn't made calls based on crowd reaction instead of his own judgment. See the tripping call on Salei near the end of the first period for an example of this. I hope he stays in the Western Conference because I don't think I could sit through a Habs' playoff game with him as the referee.

Old
04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakeshab

ok here you go guys, my pick is koharski

Old
04-23-2006, 10:43 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I agree with pretty much everything DaHabsRule has said. The refs know what they are doing.
Who here has ever reffed past peewee?

Sure they'll make mistakes here and there, but even then most of the time, it's because of a homer bias that fans have.

Maybe it's just me but for those of you that watch games other than Montreal, don't you find that those games are 'better officiated'? I do and I realize that it's probably because I am not biased to any team.

That said, the ref that I would least like to ref a Habs game is Fraser.

Old
04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
Maybe it's just me but for those of you that watch games other than Montreal, don't you find that those games are 'better officiated'? I do and I realize that it's probably because I am not biased to any team.

That said, the ref that I would least like to ref a Habs game is Fraser.
That's the thing is they are not better officiated. I try to watch as much different stuff as I can and though I care more about the Habs, you can see poor officiating all the time.

To me consistency is the main thing. If it's a hook in the 1st period, it's a hook in the 3rd period. Phatom calls, makeup calls, weak calls etc...kill the flow and are maddening to watch. Basically if you wanted to you could probably call a penalty every shift if you went exactly by the book. But refs have discretion and have to use their judgement to make the appropriate calls to keep the game under contol, but not take control.

Another big issue to me is diving. They need to step up and call that a lot more. Players are flopping all over the place and getting away with it.

Edit: McCreary shouldn't be up there, he's a good ref imo. But it's nice to helmet head leading.

Old
04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Where are Spada and Warren?

Closed Thread