HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

kOHARSKI

View Poll Results: Which is the worst Ref
Mcgeough 4 10.26%
Fraser 21 53.85%
Koharski 9 23.08%
joanette 1 2.56%
pollock 2 5.13%
spada 2 5.13%
McCreary 0 0%
Marouelli 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Ape Clutch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
I don't think they're listening to the fans... They're listening to the staff of referee supervisors. Big difference. Supervisors understand refereeing, fans don't. It's just that simple.
Buddy please your starting to sound like my math proff mr. kroughly...all u engineer students don't know math blah blah blah, let me show you what u know is irrelevant blah blah blah.

Just because we are fans does not mean we don't understand refereeing. I understand refereeing... I get JUST as pissed when MTL makes stupid plays as when other teams do it to us. Because I DON'T WANT montreal to be on the penalty kill.

Some fans have brains...no check that...all of them do, and I think you are biased in your comments/opinion when you say that fans don't understand. Because you yourself are a referee and have endured the barage of insults/stupidity you assume (wrongly) that all fans are like that. What about the 60% (at least) of the other fans who are sitting in their seets with their mouths shut!

You will only notice the loud ones...why? because they are loud and attract attention...same reason why people think black ppl drive Cadillacs...because all the black icons drive cadillacs (this is a generalization im not saying thats what you or anyone else here thinks...but atleast one person here does)

Please give some credit to fans who are passionate about the game, and who pay attention, If a referee is bad...usually you can spot it...because he misses the calls your team makes too.

I don't get to know reffs names because I personally care more about who is on the Ice for montreal than who the hell is reffing. I can't give you a name of a good or bad ref. But i gotta say that last game one of the refs was bad... he kept missing what montreal was doing on several occasions, montreal had a couple of borderline calls that didn't get called. This scared the $#!t out of me...because I don't want the refs to let something else slide when a MTL player is being infracted upon (horrible grammar :p)

Once again, please look at fans objectively... we DO understand the game, hence why we watch and enjoy it.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Spada because hes kinda new and try to make a name from himself or whatever , he's terrible .

Old
04-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Now to play devil's advocate for a second... NHL players get to know NHL refs very well. It's an old-boys club, they don't yell 'come on ref' at the bench, it'll be 'where's the call Koho?' if say, Koharski was working the game. Now with that being said, if you know some refs will snap if you try to show them up by publically protesting their call so that everyone at the rink and watching on TV can see... shouldn't some onus be on the players to bite their pride?

As a ref, I tell people this all the time; Often times people scream at the refs and call us bad nams and all that. But whatever, that's hockey - we're paid fairly well and with experience you don't even hear it. But how come players/fans can berate the daylights out of a ref, and he can stay calm and 99% of the time, never even so much as say anything back - and players can't hold their comments. Like I said, sometimes you need to swallow your pride and shut up.

I have lots of opinions on refereeing, and I do it at a fairly high level myself - and would love to talk refs with anyone here, but realize that the vast majority of hockey fans are for the most part uneducated when it comes to the officiating aspect of the game. I'd venture a guess that a good 80% of people in the rink couldn't pass a level 2 referee exam (required to work house league peewee games). And most people who berate referees would never have the you-know-what's to get out there and do it themselves. They wouldn't last a minute.

Just my two cents. Great post Munchausen, I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
The way to conduct yourself towards the refs for players and coaches is a whole other debate in itself. Some will say the yelling and whining is part of hockey culture. Others will say the refs represent the supreme authority on the ice and therefore should be treated with utmost respect and composure (a bit more like they do in Football).

I'm somewhat between the 2. I think the buddy type relationship between refs and players is something that is a plus for the game and the show, and arguing with a ref is much more of a mind game to gain an edge than a sign of disrespect for a specific call or his overall work. Some refs deal better with this (McCreary) than others. I think it has everything to do with personality and nothing with competence.

That being said, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and a point where the abuse of officials should really be punished. My rule of thumb is it's all fair game if a warning came before the call. If a ref warns a specific player or coach for going too far and he doesn't tone it down following that warning, he only has himself to blame for any subsequent penalities.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
Another big issue to me is diving. They need to step up and call that a lot more. Players are flopping all over the place and getting away with it.
I understand what you're saying as I agree it is a definite problem, but let me add that we should be careful what we ask for, because it's easy to see a dive at slow-motion on the replay with a closeup on the guilty player, but I assume it's a whole different story when watching the game ice level at actual speed.

Right now, I feel in doubt, the word for the refs is to hold back from giving diving calls because it is much more a judgement call than a hook or a tripping call. Sometimes I would have sworn a goalie really got tripped by a player passing by when watched at actual speed but in slow-mo on the replay it is obvious the goalie barely got touched and just fell like he got shot as soon as he sensed a stick near his pads. Same things with skaters. Some trips look really realistic at full speed but when watched in slow-motion, you see that the way they fell actually defies the laws of physics (like a player getting hooked towards the back while falling the other way).

So I think the on-ice refs shouldn't be responsible for cracking down on diving. If anything, I feel the league has a much bigger responsability to watch the replays after the games and punish (more severely than they do now) the repeat offenders.

Old
04-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Koharski even thought he's from Halifax to me is the worse but i believe he hates the habs so that's my motivation.

Closed Thread