HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

game 2 thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 03:04 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
game 2 thoughts

Alright.
Who here thinks we are a good skating team?

* Kirk Maltby goes from hero to one of the goats. But really, that play was screwed up right from beginning.
Schneider, under pressure from a forechecker, chips up the board, but Franzen isn't back down far enough. Buck comes to Maltby, Peca chips it off his stick, boom goal. Tie game.
Out of nowhere. Just when when it seemed like we were taking over.

* And then Jason Williams. Instead of getting it out, tries to look for the pass at two feet from the blueline. Pronger strips him of the puck. Pass out front. And some rookie name Winchester rips one home to take the lead.
At least with Maltby's goal, it was a bang-bang play. Williams had time to think ... and well, who knows what happens then.

*Datsyuk doesn't look good out there. Like I said earlier, the dude plays like he smokes two packs a day. He's always winded. And after not playing for two weeks, he was especially winded today. Hopefully, he gets better.

* Zetterberg didn't make any goofy plays in his own zone today, but he wasn't as good offensively in 5-on-5 situations. His breakaway should be considered evidence that he really isn't a fast skater.
He needs to get better. But Mikael Samuelsson has been of no help. Zetterberg and Holmstrom are working hard without results. But Sammy looks like Robert Lang jr., waviing his stick, slashing people's sticks. Giveaways. Passes to nobody.

* Sit these two down in a broom closet and force them to watch replays of Yzerman for the next 48 hours.

* Brendan Shanahan has ZERO shots on goal in regulation thus far.

* Chris Pronger doesn't appear to playing like the Red Wings' b**ch, like many silly people seem to think he is.

* Boy, that Matthieu Schneider is a playoff stud, eh?

* If I'm Detroit, I consolidate lines ASAP.
Lang/Yzerman/Shanahn
Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Williams orHolmstrom or even Maltby
Maltby Draper Franzen
Samuelsson/ Cleary/Williams/Homer.

I also consider sitting Samuelsson for a rookie call up.

* Our five on five play? Two goals from Maltby. A fluke goal from Williams. That's not going to cut it.

* Can't blame Legace. But he's showing that he's not Mikael Kiprusoff.

* Oilers did a lot of trapping today. But the team applied more pressure on the wings in their own zone, leading to two goals.

* Mike Peca is having himself a series, so far.

* We need more rushing the puck from Kronwall and Lebda. Separate the two. But Kronwall and Lidstrom out together. And maybe Lebda with Chelios.
Gives us some speed on the blueline, and we need to start using whatever speed we have.

* Question: How was this game any different than a Flames game or Ducks game of years past?
Answer: Kipper or Giguerre wouldn't have allowed Williams' goal.

* Oh, there's time to pull this out. But we had a chance to really put the Oilers in their place. I called the Oilers to win this series. But even if I thought Detroit was gonna win, I wouldn't have expected more than 1-1 in the opening two games.

* Playoff hockey is tough. This isn't basketball, where you can just pencil in the Pistons for the conference finals.
That's what makes it so remarkable and gutwrenching.
Every game, it seems, some team has a gut check.
Oilers had it today. And now Detroit has one Tuesday. And who knows what happens from there.

* Okay, so what is Mike Babcock doing to defeat the dreaded trap? Because I don't see it.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:13 PM
kacz

How about Steve Yzerman taking Chris Pronger going to the net, Steve's retiring?

Old
04-23-2006, 03:13 PM
DTWings

Sloppy play

Now, I haven't gotten to watch many games cuz of my provider, but I think I can say with some confidence that one of our major downfalls today was our passing. A lot of that was the Oils taking away the passing lanes in the N-Zone, but it seemed like we were having trouble handling the passes we did get.

Also, like a lot of people are saying, the old guys are stepping up, now we need the younguns to get in here and play. The one vet I'm disappointed in is Shanny, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised, he's relatively inconsistent in the playoffs, but we could really use him stepping up and contributing.

The last major gripe I had about today's game was effort. It just didn't look like we wanted it today. Edmonton was beating us to all the loose pucks, winning battles along the boards, we just couldn't get momentum going at all.

The one thought keeping me sane is the fact that the Wings are notorious for starting the playoffs a little weak, and turning it on a few games into the first round. I'm looking forward to game 3, and I expect to see a much different team on the ice than we had tonight.......i hope.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:24 PM
guinness
those were the days

What I couldn't figure out is why the Wings would play great for stretches in both games, but then fall into some weird spell and sit on their thumbs. I'm more disappointed by the lack of effort than anything. Speed isn't the end all be all, the Ducks and Flames still lost in the end, but it's more of Detroit not getting the guys they need to be successful stepping up and getting their hands dirty. It's pretty said when guys like Yzerman and Lang are the ones stepping up, when they are among the oldest on the team.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:27 PM
O'shizzle

There was a distinct lask of forechecking by the Wings today. To defeat this trap (or whatever you want to call it), we're going to have to dump and chase to create turnovers. Everytime there was a lose puck in the Oils zone, they seemed to jump on it. We haven't seen that often this year.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Great job, great post! As an Oiler fan, I don't think we can beat you guys playing the style we're playing. You saw how we got our goals today, the forecheck. If the Oil play a tough forechecking style first of all we would be the NW divison champs, but I really believe you play to your strengths and that's the strength of the majority of our players. Despite what Don Cherry says, I think the Oil win this series if they play tough forechecking hockey causing turnovers because I think you guys would be the first ones to admit it, your not as deep as you were in years past, you'll wear down, and the young guys you have still have not proven they can stand up to that style of hockey. 2 years ago you guys could put out 4 lines, 3 of which would have been the Oil's first. Nashville tried to do this in 04 and it didn't work, after they had there way with you in the regular season that year hitting and skating you guys into the ice. I don't know. I apologize on behalf of MOST Edmonton Oiler fans who think we're playing absolute garbage hockey right now, and it's going to be a shame IF we beat you guys playing this style. It's cheap and embarrasing.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:30 PM
8snake

Everybody has their reasons for why Detroit lost, and some of them are glaringly obvious....turnovers, poor commitment to the forecheck, work ethic, ect. And they're all legit reasons. I just want to focus on one individual who I think either needs to be scratched or replaced by Kronwall, and that's Schneider. It may be the groin, it may be something else....all I know is he is playing beyond poor right now. He's really kinda "Woolley-esque" out there, and him and Chelios are doing WAY too much running around. He isnt handling the Oilers pressure with any type of intelligence and veteran composure...contrast that to Kronwall and Lebda who have done a good job of puck management. Schneider is playing himself off the team IMO, and his game needs to come up 100 levels at this point. Not over-reacting, not panicing though....Detroit will come with better efforts in Edmonton, hopefully it will be enough.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:31 PM
doublejack

No nice way to say it... Datsyuk and Zetterberg sucked. They either start putting points up or we are done, it's that simple.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:45 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Through two games you would never be able to tell who the 8 and who the 1 seed is. How do you beat a trap? You take back ice which Datsyuk does extremely well. Once you take back ice and come through the neutral zone with speed you have to have a further plan which at least 50% of the time require dumps. You need to have two or three different ones and play patterns off them. Draper and Shanny should be able to work low. Zetterberg knows how to take back ice but playing with Samuelson negates any work he may do. Promote Franzen. If your centers do not have time to take back ice the D must go D to D to D - operating on a hinge to get spped and get pucks in. It is not rocket science, only you need to have your 5 man unit recognizing the defense and timing your own moves. Get pucks on net and score goals.

Old
04-23-2006, 03:54 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
I dont think the Oilers can win this series playing garbage hockey. They are relying on lucky bounces and crappy goals, kind of like us right now. We need to worry about ourselves and not what the other team is doing. If we play our game, our firepower will overcome any system the Oilers try to play. We need a 2 or more goal lead, and that should do with the system the Oilers are playing.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:25 PM
nik jr

det should start to dump and chase. not getting enough time in edm end.

offense should be condensed.
shanahan w/ yzerman.
datsyuk w/ z and homer.
then i guess lang samuelsson williams. but i don't like the looks of that line.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:37 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMeFrisbee
I dont think the Oilers can win this series playing garbage hockey. They are relying on lucky bounces and crappy goals, kind of like us right now. We need to worry about ourselves and not what the other team is doing. If we play our game, our firepower will overcome any system the Oilers try to play. We need a 2 or more goal lead, and that should do with the system the Oilers are playing.
Sorry if this comes off as trolling... but the Oilers haven't had a bounce yet. The Wings have had a bounce on every goal they've scored. The Oilers have scored off of turnovers and point shots while the Wings have scored off.. just plain weird bounces. Langs goal off Yzermans skate, Maltbys off the shaft of his stick, Maltby off of Rem Murray, Williams kicks it from behind the net and then Zetterberg gets one that lands on Rolosons head and bounces right to his stick. I mean.. I don't exactly see how you can call the Oilers lucky to this point of the series, at all?

Old
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Rafters

Sounds like you guys seem a little worried......what happened to blowing the Oilers out of the Water because of that big 29 point difference....many oiler fans came on here and tried to warn you guys that the Oilers will not be push overs in this series.......... we could easily be coming out of Detroit up 2-0...

Old
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Zetterberg knows how to take back ice but playing with Samuelson negates any work he may do. Promote Franzen.
Actually, that's what they were doing late in the game. Franzen was playing on Z's line.

Quote:
The one vet I'm disappointed in is Shanny, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised, he's relatively inconsistent in the playoffs, but we could really use him stepping up and contributing.
He's been consistently a non-factor whenever we play trap teams like this. Still a nice option on the power play with that shot of his, but he has not been of much use at even strength against ANY of these teams. Kind of surprised to see him with no shots, usually he's the one leading the 50 foot wrist shot barrage...

Speaking of the power play, wasn't that supposed to be our huge advantage?

Old
04-23-2006, 04:45 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
* Boy, that Matthieu Schneider is a playoff stud, eh?
How many times did he blindly throw it behind our net to an Oiler? Get a clue Schneids, man what a chump. Looks like whoever wins the turnover battle will win this series; doesn't bode well for us when Schneider is on the ice... Awful.

Babs & staff did a terrible job preparing for this game. We knew they'd be trapping, yet we had no answer. Pathetic.

13 & 40 need to start showing up, everyone talked about how they disappear in the playoffs, and they've done nothing to squelch that. Weak.

35 shots today, I'd guess 25 were from a wide angle/wing outside the circles. Moronic.

Total mental lapse by almost the entire team all game long, costs us 2 goals. Stupid.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:49 PM
O'shizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3991731
Sounds like you guys seem a little worried......what happened to blowing the Oilers out of the Water because of that big 29 point difference....many oiler fans came on here and tried to warn you guys that the Oilers will not be push overs in this series.......... we could easily be coming out of Detroit up 2-0...
The only people who get like that are the people who thought this would be won by the Wings in 4 or 5. Those that know how playoff hockey can be knew that this could get tough. We expected this, so we're not freaking out.

It's funny how fans are, though. Now it seems many Wings fans are down in the dumps, and a few have even lost hope already. Over on the Edmonton board there's a great deal of exuberance and even a few "We're gonna take both at home and go up 3-1."

Such is the Second Season. Only those who keep a level head will survive.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:49 PM
jacK

Quote:
disappointed/angry - worried, easy to mix those up...
we could easily be coming out of Detroit up 2-0 ourselves

Old
04-23-2006, 04:51 PM
8snake

Quote:
Chill out with the big talk until the series is over. The Oilers have won a game, congrats.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:51 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shizzle
Such is the Second Season. Only those who keep a level head will survive.
That's impossible, and you know it, between the stretch drive and the past 48 hours I may as well have been a chain smoker for the past 5 years.. and I wouldn't have it any other way

Old
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
SGY19

Quote:

Losing in the first round of the playoffs once again is just inexcusable. It's embarassing to have the best record in the NHL only to get knocked out in the first round. It's becoming obvious that the Red Wings are just a regular season team. They aren't a playoff team and it's time for a big time shakeup. The Red Wings are suppose to have this great leadership, but it's been totally invisible.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK
we could easily be coming out of Detroit up 2-0 ourselves
Or down 2-0.

We didn't deserve this game, so it's hard to be too distraught about losing it. The way they're playing, on the other hand... ugh.

Old
04-23-2006, 04:58 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Wings do not seem to take to being fore checked in series well these last few playoffs.

Well, At least not down 2-0, but not happy about the two quick goals. Why is it the Wings have to get wierd pool-esqe goals, and the Oilers seem to get to the net better?

Oh well....I'm just trying to go numb and enjoy it.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:00 PM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
Losing in the first round of the playoffs once again is just inexcusable. It's embarassing to have the best record in the NHL only to get knocked out in the first round. It's becoming obvious that the Red Wings are just a regular season team. They aren't a playoff team and it's time for a big time shakeup. The Red Wings are suppose to have this great leadership, but it's been totally invisible.
Unlike who? Who are these mythical playoff teams with consistent playoff success?

Besides, don't you call this entire season in fact - a shakeup.

You're acting the regular season means dick all - while in fact it means a lot to the 14 teams that are already golfing and their fans. If Detroit can't get by 1st round this year, sad, tough luck, bitter. They weren't ready. We try again next year.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
Unlike who? Who are these mythical playoff teams with consistent playoff success?

You're acting the regular season means dick all - while in fact it means a lot to the 14 teams that are already golfing and their fans. If Detroit can't get by 1st round this year, sad, tough luck, bitter. They weren't ready. We try again next year.
It's not about consistent playoff success. The problem is that the Red Wings keep losing the same exact way every year. Teams have figured out how to beat the Red Wings in the playoffs. Once that happens it's time for a rebuild.

Old
04-23-2006, 05:07 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo

Exactly. Enjoy the ride. When the game is over, we either come on here and rave about Detroit or vent. Either way, after all is said and done it's one game fellas....unless this game counted as two wins and nobody told me.

Closed Thread