HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

game 2 thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 08:19 PM
8snake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3991731
I guess we could call it a left wing lock ...or center lock....we prefer the press
If you're trying to imply that the "passive trap" Edmonton is employing is the equivalent of the left wing lock you need to give your head a shake. The system Detroit uses makes sure to prevent or limit the amount of odd-man chances against by keeping a forward high in a defensive position. It's nothing close to the "press"\passive trap. But more power to the Oilers and their coaches...if Detroit cant beat it, it's obviously working. I'd keep using it.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Coffey77

Good post Newsguyone.

It's deju vu all over again. Wings are too slow and take too many low percentage shots. Zetterberg's play has been a bit better and maybe a reunion with Datsyuk will help both guys.

Sad to see Yzerman has to lead the team with his play. Not enough players stepping up to help out.

Wings were the best road team in the NHL. We'll see what they are made of. Not surprised the Oilers are giving the Wings fits although I'm a bit surprised they are using the Ducks strategy as opposed to the Flames.

Old
04-23-2006, 11:10 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Good post Newsguyone.

It's deju vu all over again. Wings are too slow and take too many low percentage shots. Zetterberg's play has been a bit better and maybe a reunion with Datsyuk will help both guys.

Sad to see Yzerman has to lead the team with his play. Not enough players stepping up to help out.

Wings were the best road team in the NHL. We'll see what they are made of. Not surprised the Oilers are giving the Wings fits although I'm a bit surprised they are using the Ducks strategy as opposed to the Flames.
couldn't hurt. a shakeup in the lines could very well be what we need. not as if we lack centermen to fill our lines... hell, putting lang back in the top 6 might do him good as well.

Old
04-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
The only player that the Red Wings should keep is Lidstrom. They can let go of everyone else.
You're right! Down with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall! Afterall, we lost game two of the quarterfinals!

Old
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
midwinter

Cry me a river, doubters. Detroit will win the series.
By the way,give your playoff tickets to other people, because the "support" Detroit gets by the home crowd is ridiculous. Could 20.000 people really be that silent? You should be ashamed.You guys are as boring as the trap Edmonton is playing. You are lulling your own team to sleep.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter
By the way,give your playoff tickets to other people, because the "support" Detroit gets by the home crowd is ridiculous. Could 20.000 people really be that silent? You should be ashamed.You guys are as boring as the trap Edmonton is playing. You are lulling your own team to sleep.
I agree the corporate crowd sucks, but don't you think the type of game that was being played contributed in a major way to the crowd's apathy? What were they supposed to cheer about? The Wings' complete inability to get into the offensive zone? The stupidity of them not adjusting their game plan at all? All those exciting 40 foot shots right into Roloson's chest with no rebound and nobody crashing the net even if there was one? Or how about the boneheaded turnovers all game long?

This was a hard game to get into.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:22 AM
GuloGulo

Ok in other news:

Ottawa lost. Calgary lost.

We're not the only ones!

Old
04-24-2006, 12:23 AM
midwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro
I agree the corporate crowd sucks, but don't you think the type of game that was being played contributed in a major way to the crowd's apathy? What were they supposed to cheer about? The Wings' complete inability to get into the offensive zone? The stupidity of them not adjusting their game plan at all? All those exciting 40 foot shots right into Roloson's chest with no rebound and nobody crashing the net even if there was one? Or how about the boneheaded turnovers all game long?

This was a hard game to get into.
So the home crowd should only back their team when they play well, and when things don't go that well they should sound like 20.000 mutes?

Old
04-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Sadekuuro

Yep, all the road teams won today.

(But at least the other losing home teams got scoring chances!)

Old
04-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
So the home crowd should only back their team when they play well, and when things don't go that well they should sound like 20.000 mutes?
Yeah, clearly that's what I'm saying. Of course the crowds have been lame and should be a lot more vocal. Blame the corporate element for buying all the expensive lower bowl seats, which are then either empty or filled by suits instead of hockey fans.

But this game was brutal. The Wings were terrible. Aside from Yzerman and a couple others, they once again weren't putting in the kind of effort it takes to win in the playoffs. They had virtually no good chances to score because they couldn't gain the zone and when they did they were kept to the boards and didn't fight their way to the middle. Meanwhile the Oil were too busy doing their best Minnesota impression to generate chances on Legace. Watching a game that even die-hards are finding boring as hell, how do you think the casual fans at the game are going to react?

Old
04-24-2006, 01:10 AM
midwinter

Well,didn't Red wings play ok up to the late stages of period 2? Then two mistakes came back to haunt them. And the crowd went totally dead. Don't teams feed off a loud home crowd supporting their team?
Maybe they could have gotten more energized if the crowd wasn't so dead? All I know is that when I listen at the crowd at JLA I almost fall asleep. Any team in Elitserien has a louder home crowd, win or lose.
Where are the chants/taunts at JLA? Heckle Edmonton's gay trap. Do something that is audible at least. Watch some soccer crowds for inspiration. Soccer is a boring, slow sport, yet their fans sound like real fans.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:24 AM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
Ok in other news:

We're not the only ones!
but... but.... we lost. it's the end of the world, remember?

Old
04-24-2006, 05:19 AM
guvnor1983

You think the fans on the Sens and Flames board are crying like little b!tches too??

Old
04-24-2006, 06:05 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
All you have to do is consider the source. This is the same fool who thinks Yzerman may be a Chicago Blackhawk or Minnesota Wild next year.

Just ignore him.
I already had him/her to my "ignore list"

About the game, the guys need to do a better job next game, that is pretty clear. I have fait that they will play 2 solid games in Edmonton, I think that Babcock is the right coach for these kind of things. During the regular season we already saw it, after a loss we played the next game even harder and 80% of the time we won it. Not saying that this is the same.

Last night was just a "incident", it was only 1 game the next 2 are crusial IMO

Old
04-24-2006, 06:09 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
Ok in other news:

We're not the only ones!
maybe it was writen in the stars

Edit: Also Dallas "made for the playoffs" Stars lost there 1 game

Old
04-24-2006, 06:13 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
All you have to do is consider the source. This is the same fool who thinks Yzerman may be a Chicago Blackhawk or Minnesota Wild next year.

Just ignore him.
If the Red Wings get knocked out of the playoffs then anything is possible. The Blackhawks and Wild may make an offer to Yzerman, but I highly doubt he will sign with either of those teams. Yzerman says he only wants to play for a contender and those two teams aren't contenders. Ottawa would be his first choice. If the Red Wings lose then Yzerman will take the blame because he is Captain and he should be leading the team. He has so far failed to score goals when the team has needed it most. If the Red Wings rebuild then they will probably only keep Lidstrom.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:15 AM
midwinter

What is this talk about rebuilding after losing 1 game,lol? I can't believe it. Crack is dangerous.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:22 AM
SGY19

Quote:
What is this talk about rebuilding after losing 1 game,lol? I can't believe it. Crack is dangerous.
Rebuilding would happen if the team loses the series, not just 1 game. Every single team has figured out how to beat the Red Wings in the playoffs. It's time for a new team that the opposing team can't figure out. If Ken Holland is as good of a GM as everyone is saying he should have no problem rebuilding this team into a contender instead of a pretender. Lidstrom would be the only player that would be kept.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:39 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO
Sorry if this comes off as trolling... but the Oilers haven't had a bounce yet. The Wings have had a bounce on every goal they've scored. The Oilers have scored off of turnovers and point shots while the Wings have scored off.. just plain weird bounces. Langs goal off Yzermans skate, Maltbys off the shaft of his stick, Maltby off of Rem Murray, Williams kicks it from behind the net and then Zetterberg gets one that lands on Rolosons head and bounces right to his stick. I mean.. I don't exactly see how you can call the Oilers lucky to this point of the series, at all?
Edmonton's first goal in game 1 bounced in off Chelios' foot. That's a bounce. And at least one of Pronger's goals looked to hit something in front of the goal. That's at least one more bounce. I'm not buying the no-bounce theory.

In the end, it seems to me like the Wings were expecting Oiler hockey and the Oilers came out and surprised them with Calgary hockey. I agree with Showtime, the Oilers are playing garbage hockey. I'm curious to see if their fans are going to support them as vigorously if they play like that in games 3 and 4.

The Wings should be able to make the adjustments with two full days of preparation, instead of a VERY short day with an early start coming off a double OT. If they don't, then the house will be cleaned a bit, and that is to be expected.

I predicted a 6 game series in which Edmonton took one of the first two in Detroit. So I'm not surprised. The issue now is, are the Wings a Cup-caliber team? If they are, then they will adjust and at least split the two in Edmonton, if not take both. If they drop both games, then we will know what caliber of team they really are. Plain and simple.

Keep in mind, there are no 2-0 series yet, and Dallas and Carolina both looked awful in their openers.

The Wings will need more from the big guns, and everyone on the team needs to cut out the sloppy play and take care of the puck. If they do that, they will take back control of the series. Only so much of that can be credited to the Oilers' trap. The rest is on the players' refusal to put their noses down and say ok, we're going to outwork you. And a little bit of pressure on the PP wouldn't hurt either.

I do agree that the Zetterberg line is very much a popgun line right now. That line depends so much on Z to get things going that when he's not making it happen, the whole line is just garbage.

Babcock has made the proper adjustments all season long. I trust his ability to do the same thing now. If the sloppy play doesn't get cleaned up it will be the players' fault. I think we will see a much cleaner series from the Wings from now on.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:47 AM
phillypensfan

Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Edmonton's first goal in game 1 bounced in off Chelios' foot. That's a bounce. And at least one of Pronger's goals looked to hit something in front of the goal. That's at least one more bounce. I'm not buying the no-bounce theory.

In the end, it seems to me like the Wings were expecting Oiler hockey and the Oilers came out and surprised them with Calgary hockey. I agree with Showtime, the Oilers are playing garbage hockey. I'm curious to see if their fans are going to support them as vigorously if they play like that in games 3 and 4.

The Wings should be able to make the adjustments with two full days of preparation, instead of a VERY short day with an early start coming off a double OT. If they don't, then the house will be cleaned a bit, and that is to be expected.

I predicted a 6 game series in which Edmonton took one of the first two in Detroit. So I'm not surprised. The issue now is, are the Wings a Cup-caliber team? If they are, then they will adjust and at least split the two in Edmonton, if not take both. If they drop both games, then we will know what caliber of team they really are. Plain and simple.

Keep in mind, there are no 2-0 series yet, and Dallas and Carolina both looked awful in their openers.

The Wings will need more from the big guns, and everyone on the team needs to cut out the sloppy play and take care of the puck. If they do that, they will take back control of the series. Only so much of that can be credited to the Oilers' trap. The rest is on the players' refusal to put their noses down and say ok, we're going to outwork you. And a little bit of pressure on the PP wouldn't hurt either.

I do agree that the Zetterberg line is very much a popgun line right now. That line depends so much on Z to get things going that when he's not making it happen, the whole line is just garbage.

Babcock has made the proper adjustments all season long. I trust his ability to do the same thing now. If the sloppy play doesn't get cleaned up it will be the players' fault. I think we will see a much cleaner series from the Wings from now on.
Their fans are supporting them already for playing the trap,saying that they were not a run and gun team this season,and saying that Wings fans are crying about the loss when we also play the trap and have been doing so all season. Also saying that the Wings better be ready for a "ride through hell" at Rexall because their crowd is so loud. I and a couple other Wings fans tried explaining to them that the Wings are a better team on the road,but that got real far. Obviously now they are the ones thinking the Wings are a pushover,and that there's going to be no effort from them these next two games.

I couldn't agree more about seeing better hockey from the Wings,now that they will have time to adjust to their trap and being away from home will also help their play. If the Wings get a couple goals up on them to begin with,that takes their crowd out of it as well as makes it so they can't play their trap. I can't wait for the game tomorrow night.

Old
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro

I agree 100%

You said it all

Old
04-24-2006, 08:35 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
If the Red Wings get knocked out of the playoffs then anything is possible. The Blackhawks and Wild may make an offer to Yzerman, but I highly doubt he will sign with either of those teams. Yzerman says he only wants to play for a contender and those two teams aren't contenders. Ottawa would be his first choice. If the Red Wings lose then Yzerman will take the blame because he is Captain and he should be leading the team. He has so far failed to score goals when the team has needed it most. If the Red Wings rebuild then they will probably only keep Lidstrom.
Please stop talking!!

Old
04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
Please stop talking!!
What are you talking about man, didn't you hear? The Wings are going to trade Yzerman to the NHL, and in return they're going to get the rights to Claude Lemieux, Scott Hartnell, and Bryan Marchment. Yzerman will then be dispersed to the franchise that has the combination of the fewest years in the NHL and fewest points this past season.

Don't feed the trolls.

Old
04-24-2006, 09:30 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillypensfan
Their fans are supporting them already for playing the trap,saying that they were not a run and gun team this season,and saying that Wings fans are crying about the loss when we also play the trap and have been doing so all season. Also saying that the Wings better be ready for a "ride through hell" at Rexall because their crowd is so loud. I and a couple other Wings fans tried explaining to them that the Wings are a better team on the road,but that got real far. Obviously now they are the ones thinking the Wings are a pushover,and that there's going to be no effort from them these next two games.

To be fair, edmonton has had it's own Hybrid system of the trap all season although they played it on the road more then at home. We also play more of a run and gun system against some teams, teams that can't handle the speed and pressure. Watching road games this year it was evident that they played a more defensive, clog up the zone and force the turn over kind of hockey. I am not a big fan of it but at this point in the game I am happy to win, if it is boring or not. It has been a while since we went deep into the playoffs and for the first time this year MacT looks like a really good coach.

I think one reason for this trapping style of play is because you have the last line change. If we can line up our offensive guys against your lower lines then I think you will see the game open up more, unless you guys use the trap.

I expect a little bit of a more open game next game but if you take an early lead then I can see the oilers make change to the more defensive style.

Old
04-24-2006, 09:39 AM
phillypensfan

Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
To be fair, edmonton has had it's own Hybrid system of the trap all season although they played it on the road more then at home. We also play more of a run and gun system against some teams, teams that can't handle the speed and pressure. Watching road games this year it was evident that they played a more defensive, clog up the zone and force the turn over kind of hockey. I am not a big fan of it but at this point in the game I am happy to win, if it is boring or not. It has been a while since we went deep into the playoffs and for the first time this year MacT looks like a really good coach.

I think one reason for this trapping style of play is because you have the last line change. If we can line up our offensive guys against your lower lines then I think you will see the game open up more, unless you guys use the trap.

I expect a little bit of a more open game next game but if you take an early lead then I can see the oilers make change to the more defensive style.
So you think that they'll stick with that style infront of the home crowd? Or maybe try to be too cute like Detroit gets at home? It's just funny how some of your fellow fans think that Detroit isn't going to be ready for these next two,especially when they play a helluva lot better for road games...not exactly the lay down and lose that some of you expect(not you,but again some of your fellow fans). That's why I had said for the Oilers to expect a much different effort from the Wings now that the Oilers are the home team,just because I know how they play a more simple game on the road and they will be more than ready to go.

Closed Thread