HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

game 2 thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 11:12 AM
doublejack

vCash: 500
This is just my opinion, but I think we're all over analyzing this series. Here's what I see as the problem:

During the regular season our 4 leading scorerers were Datsyuk - 87 points, Zetterberg - 85 points, Shanahan - 81 points and Lidstrom - 80 points. So far in this series Hank has 1 flukey goal and Shanny has 1 helper off Yzerman's slick pass to Lang... that's it.

IMO, we're LUCKY to be tied at 1-1 in this series. I know Pavel missed 3 weeks. I know Edmonton is trapping their brains out. I know it's only two games in. None of that matters. The big four HAVE TO START PUTTING UP POINTS.

Our best forward through two games has been Yzerman by a country mile. He's hounding the puck, cutting through defenders, creating chances, etc. On the positive side that says a lot about Stevie... but on the negative side is says a lot about the guys I singled out too. Hank and Dats in particular are being shown up by someone with a bad knee who is old enough to be their father (just about anyway). They should be beyond embarrassed. (You know Scotty would have both their heads on the block if he was in Babcock's shoes and we lost this series... it almost happened to Yzerman and he never was a no-show like these two are)

Old
04-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
This is just my opinion, but I think we're all over analyzing this series. Here's what I see as the problem:

During the regular season our 4 leading scorerers were Datsyuk - 87 points, Zetterberg - 85 points, Shanahan - 81 points and Lidstrom - 80 points. So far in this series Hank has 1 flukey goal and Shanny has 1 helper off Yzerman's slick pass to Lang... that's it.

IMO, we're LUCKY to be tied at 1-1 in this series. I know Pavel missed 3 weeks. I know Edmonton is trapping their brains out. I know it's only two games in. None of that matters. The big four HAVE TO START PUTTING UP POINTS.

Our best forward through two games has been Yzerman by a country mile. He's hounding the puck, cutting through defenders, creating chances, etc. On the positive side that says a lot about Stevie... but on the negative side is says a lot about the guys I singled out too. Hank and Dats in particular are being shown up by someone with a bad knee who is old enough to be their father (just about anyway). They should be beyond embarrassed. (You know Scotty would have both their heads on the block if he was in Babcock's shoes and we lost this series... it almost happened to Yzerman and he never was a no-show like these two are)
Bingo. This team is, essentially, Datsyuk and Zetterberg's. Shanny's at least been getting his nose dirty and Lidstrom gives 30 minutes of damn near worry free hockey. The two kids, though, have to be the horses up front.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Higgy4

Obviously after a loss we are all on the defensive and looking for answers.

But, this is a different coaching group and there is still great leadership on this team.

We all need to hope that Babcock and Co. (any maybe another inspirational speech from future Blackhawk Steve Yzerman) can get this thing adjusted and going in the right direction again.

That being said. Players like Shanny, Schneider, Samuelsson and Datsyuk need to start doing SOMETHING.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
* Can't blame Legace. But he's showing that he's not Mikael Kiprusoff.
I really think if not for Legace this series would be 2-0 Oilers. He robbed Horcoff twice in game 1. that game shouldn't have made it to OT.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:59 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
I really think if not for Legace this series would be 2-0 Oilers. He robbed Horcoff twice in game 1. that game shouldn't have made it to OT.
I agree. Legace didn't have the quantity of shots to deal with that Roloson did, but the saves he made were higher quality.

The series has been so close it could be 2-0 in either direction. It's time for the Wings to step up and dominate a game... show us why they won the Presidents' Trophy walking away.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:11 PM
sarcastro

Roloson hasn't done anything spectacular in this series. Despite the gaudy shot numbers, I can't think of a single save he's made that he should not have made. Against Kiprusoff and Giguere they didn't get many chances, and when they did, they were usually robbed. Roloson hasn't done that yet. He hasn't had to.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
saskoil99

Just wondering what wings fans thought of Datsyuk in game 2? I mean obviously Stevey Y was the best forward on the ice, both teams. The guy is how old and still doing it? But i digress
Watching from this side of the battle field I personally thought Datsyuk hurt more then he did good, understandabley its his first game back after an injury and wont be in top form. I guess my question is do you feel he should see alot of ice time in Game 3? Or more of just a power play role?
Its a tough call becuase he wont fully recover if he isnt playing full minutes, but in playing full minutes does he hurt you to much?
Or am I completly wrong and do you think he played well?

On a side note alot of the radio stations sent folks down to Hockeytown USA to cover the games and had nothing but great things to say about Wings fans. Friendly jeers and taunts, but nothing rude or ignorent. Glad to see such a class act and I hope that we show the same consideration to Wings fans here in Edmonton, I know I will.

Good luck in the rest of the series.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskoil99
Just wondering what wings fans thought of Datsyuk in game 2? I mean obviously Stevey Y was the best forward on the ice, both teams. The guy is how old and still doing it? But i digress
Watching from this side of the battle field I personally thought Datsyuk hurt more then he did good, understandabley its his first game back after an injury and wont be in top form. I guess my question is do you feel he should see alot of ice time in Game 3? Or more of just a power play role?
Its a tough call becuase he wont fully recover if he isnt playing full minutes, but in playing full minutes does he hurt you to much?

On a side note alot of the radio stations sent folks down to Hockeytown USA to cover the games and had nothing but great things to say about Wings fans. Friendly jeers and taunts, but nothing rude or ignorent. Glad to see such a class act and I hope that we show the same consideration to Wings fans here in Edmonton, I know I will.

I don't think anyone was impressed with Datsyuk, but most of us realize he hasn't played in a month and he's probably still not 100%. So we're looking forward and hoping he plays better the rest of the way.

He needs to play decent minutes because he is a threat with the puck and draws defensive coverage from other players. And he is better than Mowers.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:50 PM
doublejack

Quote:

You got it right. He didn't have a good game at all like you said. I think most Detroit fans saw it the same way. He looked rusty, out of game shape and less than 100% healthy. But he's got to play his normal 18-ish minutes a night if he's physically capable of doing it. The Wings hallmark is our balanced scoring, but Pavel is about the biggest piece of our offensive puzzle. We need him to step it up, even if it means a bumpy ride in the process.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
SGY19

Quote:

I thought Datsyuk shouldn't have played in game 2. He was not ready and it was obvious he is still hurting. He definitely shouldn't have been playing as many minutes as he did in game 2. As for his ice-time in game 3, I guess it all depends how he feels. It might not be a bad idea to use the Datsyuk line as the third line and only play them around 12 minutes. Babcock could stick Shanny on the Yzerman-Lang line for some shifts to get him more ice-time.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Roloson hasn't done anything spectacular in this series. Despite the gaudy shot numbers, I can't think of a single save he's made that he should not have made. Against Kiprusoff and Giguere they didn't get many chances, and when they did, they were usually robbed. Roloson hasn't done that yet. He hasn't had to.

I completely agree, Roloson has let in some bad goal i.e. yesterdays goal behind the net(shades of Tommy Salo for Oiler fans), Maltby's O.T goal even though it was deflected, he should have had it.

Legace on the other hand has played great, unbelievable in game 1 when the game was 2-1 Oilers, which allowed the wings to come back.

Thats why I don't think anyone could argue if not for Legace... this series should be 2-0 Oil, heading back to Edmonton.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack

Well said. That pretty much sums all of it up.
So far Pronger, Smyth, Samsanov and Peca are outplaying Lidstrom, Shanny, Zetts and Dats.

What's frustrating for me is that I already know that Dats won't ever be a playoff guy. He's shown no medel in any of the playoff games he's been in.
Babcock should keep him on the bench for PP and 4-on-4. That's the only time he's not peeing his pants in fright.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Your post is dead on NGO. The Oilers aren't doing anything special against us, they are following the playbook the Ducks and Flames used. Use your speed, fore check and trap trap trap. And until this team can defeat the trap were going see it all series long.

Plus our PP is killing us, or shall i say lack there of. Edmonton will be forced to open up their game if they are trailing and that only helps our team.

And Legace needs to be better prepared, he was caught napping on the 2nd and 3rd goals. Thats something that can not happen in the playoffs.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Your post is dead on NGO. The Oilers aren't doing anything special against us, they are following the playbook the Ducks and Flames used. Use your speed, fore check and trap trap trap. And until this team can defeat the trap were going see it all series long.

Plus our PP is killing us, or shall i say lack there of. Edmonton will be forced to open up their game if they are trailing and that only helps our team.

And Legace needs to be better prepared, he was caught napping on the 2nd and 3rd goals. Thats something that can not happen in the playoffs.

Manny wasn't the only one napping here. Our D totally, totally dropped their guard and left it all up to Manny. Sure, he might have been a bit sharper, but it was inexcusable of our veteran D-men to let guys get position like that. 2 goals in the last couple minutes of the period? The game was lost in those two minutes because some of the guys decided they only needed to play 15 minutes of a period, not the full 20. You just can't lose intensity in the playoffs like that.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
sarcastro

Exactly, Fugu. We're forgetting that minus 45 seconds at the end of the second, the Wings are up 2 games to 0. Some of us are, anyway.

There are things that need to be improved, but some people are going overboard.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Exactly, Fugu. We're forgetting that minus 45 seconds at the end of the second, the Wings are up 2 games to 0. Some of us are, anyway.
They could just as easily be down 2-0, too. Against a team that hasn't been great and isn't even playing their game.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Higgy4

Quote:

There are things that need to be improved, but some people are going overboard.

I agree. I think we are way too close to panic mode on this board.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
Manny wasn't the only one napping here. Our D totally, totally dropped their guard and left it all up to Manny. Sure, he might have been a bit sharper, but it was inexcusable of our veteran D-men to let guys get position like that. 2 goals in the last couple minutes of the period? The game was lost in those two minutes because some of the guys decided they only needed to play 15 minutes of a period, not the full 20. You just can't lose intensity in the playoffs like that.

Totally agree Fugu but the goalie is the ultimate last line of defense. After all Manny himself admitted he was caught off guard so he does deserve some of the blame. As for Schneider i think thats been beaten to death he's a stupid defensive player and always has been (especially in the playoffs). As for the Williams turnover he was doing his best Ray Whitney impression.....please dont hit me Pronger, take the puck.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I agree. I think we are way too close to panic mode on this board.
Probably because we've seen this same script over the past 3 playoffs. Can the Wings find a way to beat this style of play? I sure hope so but i'd be a fool if i didn't have my doubts.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:02 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
(any maybe another inspirational speech from future Blackhawk Steve Yzerman)
What? I can't believe I missed this the first time around. Since when is Yzerman a future Blackhawk? I thought those pro scouts were watching Yzerman because of the playoffs and not because they were interested in him for their own teams. Did I miss something? Are the Red Wings letting him go because he isn't playing good enough and he's not scoring goals?

Old
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
What? I can't believe I missed this the first time around. Since when is Yzerman a future Blackhawk? I thought those pro scouts were watching Yzerman because of the playoffs and not because they were interested in him for their own teams. Did I miss something? Are the Red Wings letting him go because he isn't playing good enough and he's not scoring goals?
You can't POSSIBLY be this dense.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:21 PM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
You can't POSSIBLY be this dense.
So it is really true that Yzerman is a future Blackhawk?

I guess it really doesn't matter, but it would be nice to see him retire as a Red Wing. Oh well. At least the Wings will still have Lidstrom.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:24 PM
phillypensfan

Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
So it is really true that Yzerman is a future Blackhawk?

I guess it really doesn't matter, but it would be nice to see him retire as a Red Wing. Oh well. At least the Wings will still have Lidstrom.
You really can't be serious with that response. Obviously,it's not true which is why you got the last response you did.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Luke

She's either a troll, twelve years old, or has an IQ of 40. Repeat this and you'll be fine: ignore the stupid people, ignore the stupid people.....

Old
04-24-2006, 06:37 PM
jacK

i've never put someone on an 'ignore' list but this guy is lobbying hard.

sarcastro, higgy, jw, heaton, fugu, djack, winger, other regulars that i respect... your knowledge is falling on mostly deaf ears, but kudos for trying. i haven't the patience, but keep fighting the good fight.

Closed Thread