HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

game 2 thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 05:40 PM
SGY19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
She's either a troll, twelve years old, or has an IQ of 40. Repeat this and you'll be fine: ignore the stupid people, ignore the stupid people.....
Sorry I guess I just misunderstood everyone. I thought it was true because none of the posters responded to it. I got the impression that everyone knew about it and I just missed something. Sorry about that.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Totally agree Fugu but the goalie is the ultimate last line of defense. After all Manny himself admitted he was caught off guard so he does deserve some of the blame. As for Schneider i think thats been beaten to death he's a stupid defensive player and always has been (especially in the playoffs). As for the Williams turnover he was doing his best Ray Whitney impression.....please dont hit me Pronger, take the puck.
Manny has put more pressure on himself than he needs to, btw. There was an NHL.com article where he said he believed the only way Detroit re-signs him is if they win the Cup. I think Manny having a great series and us not winning the Cup is possible. It is also possible that he turns in an okay performance, and with the right bounces, we do well.

Yeah, you are right that he was the last line of defense. He was okay yesterday, not great. He has shown us he can be great. A couple more episodes like that second period though and he may not be the only one moving.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
Sorry I guess I just misunderstood everyone. I thought it was true because none of the posters responded to it. I got the impression that everyone knew about it and I just missed something. Sorry about that.

Yzerman will never wear any other jersey than the one with a winged wheel on it.

Yzerman will never play in Chicago...or anywhere else for that matter.

Yzerman will decide if he is done at the end of this playoff run.

If he is not done, there will always be a spot on the Wings roster for Yzerman. And only on the Wings roster. No where else. No other team. The #19 will rise to the rafters, and there will never be another #19 in Detroit.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:58 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu
Manny has put more pressure on himself than he needs to, btw. There was an NHL.com article where he said he believed the only way Detroit re-signs him is if they win the Cup. I think Manny having a great series and us not winning the Cup is possible. It is also possible that he turns in an okay performance, and with the right bounces, we do well.

Yeah, you are right that he was the last line of defense. He was okay yesterday, not great. He has shown us he can be great. A couple more episodes like that second period though and he may not be the only one moving.
ya, it's strange. legace seems always hard on himself. he says either skaters do everything, or he lost the game. i wonder if he just says it to be modest for media, or if he really thinks that.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Obviously after a loss we are all on the defensive and looking for answers.

But, this is a different coaching group and there is still great leadership on this team.

We all need to hope that Babcock and Co. (any maybe another inspirational speech from future Blackhawk Steve Yzerman) can get this thing adjusted and going in the right direction again.

That being said. Players like Shanny, Schneider, Samuelsson and Datsyuk need to start doing SOMETHING.

While Shanny and Schneider haven't put any points on the board (aside from one cheap assist, I think), they've at least brought their lunch pails. A goal or two would be damn nice but at least I think they're on the right track.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Ricelund
troll

Quote:
If the Red Wings rebuild then they will probably only keep Lidstrom.
Rebuilding is about bringing in youth and retaining the young stars you already have. Lidstrom is 36. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall are the future of the franchise.

04-24-2006, 07:23 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I agree. I think we are way too close to panic mode on this board.
Yeah but isn't it equally accurate to say that we're two fluke Maltby goals away from being down 2-0 heading on to the road?

Old
04-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
You can't POSSIBLY be this dense.
He/She is a troll. Just ignore it and maybe it will go away.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Yeah but isn't it equally accurate to say that we're two fluke Maltby goals away from being down 2-0 heading on to the road?
And isn't it equally accurate to say that we're two stronger plays away from being up 2-0 heading on the road?

Old
04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
And isn't it equally accurate to say that we're two stronger plays away from being up 2-0 heading on the road?
Either way you look at, 2 fluke bounces/giveaways either way isn't a solid foundation for this team. And given this team's play the past 2 playoffs, it does look like more of the same (somewhat). Detroit has to come out tomorrow kicking and screaming, because Edmonton doesn't give a **** who the Red Wings are; they want to win, and if it's winning ugly, so be it.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Carolina and Dallas are both down 2-0 going on to the road. Philly is down 2-0 going home on the heels of a blowout. The Rangers are down 2-0, missing their best player, and look totally outclassed. Calgary is one crossbar away from being down 2-0. Detroit's position is nowhere near as dire as people are making it out to be. We looked a lot worse after 2 games with Vancouver in 2002, that's for sure.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:33 PM
1datsyuk3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Carolina and Dallas are both down 2-0 going on to the road. Philly is down 2-0 going home on the heels of a blowout. The Rangers are down 2-0, missing their best player, and look totally outclassed. Calgary is one crossbar away from being down 2-0. Detroit's position is nowhere near as dire as people are making it out to be. We looked a lot worse after 2 games with Vancouver in 2002, that's for sure.
that post calmed me down a bit.....

Old
04-24-2006, 11:48 PM
8snake

Quote:
The panic on this board is mostly nerves from playoff disasters past. It's the reason Datsyuk plays one game (a high intensity playoff game no less) and people are already calling for him to be traded. Ottawa fans are similar in their reaction to being tied with an underrated Tampa Bay team. Playoff failure can cause some fans to be very reactionary, which is perfectly fine. The thing is, when you've been through the heartbreak and euphoria of following the Wings for as long as I have, you learn to just enjoy the whole playoff experience. Remember being up on Colorado 2-0 in the '99 series? The parade had been planned. Yzerman hits the crossbar with Detroit leading in game 3 at the Joe, and the Avs come back and win 4 straight. After Vancouver went up 2-0 in '02 a guy threw his Hasek jersey on the ice he was so upset. My point is the series is 1-1, and we're 2 games in to the playoffs. Enjoy it. Trust me, if Detroit is knocked out this series I'll be in every free agent\trade so and so\Wings roster for '06-'07 thread that is made.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:50 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:

Yes, it is.
That's my point.
This series could very easily be going really good or really bad.
It's silly to say that Detroit could easily be up 2-0 without acknowledging the opposite is equally true.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:

Heading to Vancouver, I KNEW, as much as one can possibly know, for no apparent reason, that this team was coming back and winning.

I don't get that sense with this current team.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:56 PM
nik jr

Quote:
but it's been same for past few seasons. it looks like anaheim all over again. if they were really playing, it wouldn't be so bad, but they're playing badly. at least there's plenty of room for improvement.

and other teams' failures only mitigate a little. and i hate NJ.
but i did pick upsets of dallas and carolina.

game 3=must win.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:02 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Heading to Vancouver, I KNEW, as much as one can possibly know, for no apparent reason, that this team was coming back and winning.

when fedorov scored that lucky goal in game 4 vs anaheim to send it to OT, i really expected det to get confidence back and win the game and series.

then rucchin scored just a few mins in.

this time i don't have any sense about outcome.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Yes, it is.
That's my point.
This series could very easily be going really good or really bad.
It's silly to say that Detroit could easily be up 2-0 without acknowledging the opposite is equally true.

Then I guess you could say that a 1-1 series is quite justified. Both teams could have won both games. The Wings havent played very good and could still be up 2-0. And the same can be said for the Oilers. Its been a weird first 2 games.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Higgy4

Quote:

Its 1-1. What are they "coming back" from? Its just a best of 5 now.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:11 AM
8snake

What I find annoying is the constant reference back to Anaheim or Calgary as reasons why there should be some extra cause for concern. These past two games look absolutley nothing like the first two Anaheim games, or the first two Flames games. Either some of us just have short memories and dont remember those games, or both series have come to signify a deeper, more general feeling of dread whenever Detroit is challenged. This series hasnt even begun to take shape yet, and still some want to compare and contrast this series to the last two the Wings lost.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:52 AM
midwinter

you guys are funny

Old
04-25-2006, 06:10 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK
i've never put someone on an 'ignore' list but this guy is lobbying hard.

sarcastro, higgy, jw, heaton, fugu, djack, winger, other regulars that i respect... your knowledge is falling on mostly deaf ears, but kudos for trying. i haven't the patience, but keep fighting the good fight.
I've never done it either, but Hank19's ethnic slur put me over the edge.

On the other stuff, I'd rather be 1-1 against Roloson than down 2-0 against Huet. I figured that series would go seven, but geez. Then again, you look at the Carolina roster before they added Weight and Recchi, and they won all year with a top line of Staal, Nobody and Nothing up front, with Smoke and Mirrors as the top defense pairing.

Old
04-25-2006, 06:51 AM
SGY19

Quote:

I know what you mean. I don't get that same sense either with this current team. I don't know what it was about that Red Wings team in the Vancouver series. Maybe it was Yzerman comments when the Red Wings were down 2-0. Now Yzerman has been as quiet as a mouse both on and off the ice. This Red Wings team just doesn't seem to have any confidence. Edmonton has been full of confidence since before the playoffs even started. I've had a bad feeling before the series even started.

It's very disappointing that the Red Wings are struggling so much. They were so good during the regular season. Maybe everyone that said the Wings playing in weak central division padded their record was right. I can understand a young team getting knocked out in the first round, but it's inexcusable for a veteran team like the Red Wings to lose in the first round. These guys have been here many times and should know by now what it takes to win. The Red Wings are suppose to have this great leadership and one of the best Captains in the NHL, but I have yet to see it in the playoffs.

Last edited by SGY19: 04-25-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
doublejack

Look at what I read in today's Detroit News.

Quote:
"We got a lot of guys that can do more," coach Mike Babcock said. "We have to be a better team. We are a better team that [than] we showed."

Brendan Shanahan has three shots on goal, one assist and is minus-2 in the first two games of this series. Nicklas Lidstrom was a minus-3 in Game 2 and is looking for his first point of the series. Pavel Datsyuk hasn't scored a playoff goal in 22 games. Henrik Zetterberg got a power-play goal in Game 2, but his line has been generally silent.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0103/604250411

Did Ted Kulfan see my post from yesterday?

Old
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Now Yzerman has been as quiet as a mouse both on and off the ice.
Sorry but I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. Yzerman has been our best player all around. Everytime he's on the ice he makes something happen.

I still think they should move Franzen up to the 1st line with Dats and Shanny. He's got good wheels and he's not afraid to fight for the puck.
Besides, Drapes has terrible hands and isn't producing or creating anything out there.

Quote:
What I find annoying is the constant reference back to Anaheim or Calgary as reasons why there should be some extra cause for concern. These past two games look absolutley nothing like the first two Anaheim games, or the first two Flames games.
They are the same in that both teams forced the Wings to play their game along the boards where all they could muster were weak shots from the paremeter. They also could not generate much traffic in front. And in all those series' it didn't look like many of the Wings were sacrificing themselves enough to grab those loose pucks or win battles along the wall and in the corners.

Tonights game we really, really need Shanny to start throwing his weight around to make room for himself. And we desperately need Zets and Dats to pick their games up significantly. I think part of Zets problem is nobody's shown him directions to the weight room. He gets tossed off the puck so easily it's like he weighs 140 lbs.

Closed Thread