HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kelly

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
JD1

vCash: 500
Chris Kelly

Can't play on that line with Speza and Heatley. He just doesn't have the offensive mind to do it. And Heatley and Spezza get out of synch, it is almost like there is only two guys ont he line on the offensive zone. I know Murray wants to balance the lines and have someone defensively responsible but this is not working

Old
04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
hockeycountry

I think Murray had finally realized that before Kelly got hurt. Kelly was playing with Eaves and Vermette, which seems far smarter to me.

Now Kelly'd better be back for the next game, because the PK would miss him.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
I agree. He doesn't look right on the 1st line. He had 2 great chances tonight to score a goal and he didnt even get the shot off. With the injury now, maybe Alfie will be reunited with Spezza nd Heater.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Golden Slumbers

By the third I was screaming at my TV for Murray to just reunite the big line.

Hopefully the sorry amount of shots on goal in the third will make him reassess his line combos before the next game.

Old
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Brandi

I like the idea of Kelly on that line because he really does have more of a defenisve mindset, as Murray was saying

However, I do agree with the above posts, that he might not be a great fit. However, when Alfy was on that line, they produced nothing , not even on the powerplay. It was an off night, yes, I know.

I find more disappointing tonight than other than the 1 goal on Alfy's 2nd line, he was non existant. That botheres me more

I love to see Havlat with Spezza and Heater on the PPlay.. I think once they start connecting, that'll be a very dominant line for the PPlay

Old
04-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Stephen

Kelly definitely looked like the guy who didn't belong on that line. He just couldn't keep up creatively/mentally with the other two.

Old
04-23-2006, 11:54 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
He missed 3 chances to score on the same shift at one point. He just can't keep up with the two. If Murray wants a defensive presence on that line, it should be Vermette, who is playing terrific right now.

Old
04-23-2006, 11:55 PM
barfy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Kelly definitely looked like the guy who didn't belong on that line. He just couldn't keep up creatively/mentally with the other two.
I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching the game tonight. He looked overwhelmed. When he missed those 2 great chances early, I thought "Put Alfredsson or Havlat there and that's 2 goals."

Well maybe not Havlat....but soon enough he'll be back

Old
04-24-2006, 12:07 AM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
He missed 3 chances to score on the same shift at one point. He just can't keep up with the two. If Murray wants a defensive presence on that line, it should be Vermette, who is playing terrific right now.
Yeah, he's just waaaay out of his depth, and you can see the frustration from Heatley and Spezza. Vermette clicks just fine with them. If he's a little less defensively-minded than Kelly, it's not enough to be a problem, and his offensive confidence would more than make up for it.

Old
04-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Pothier

Any word on his injury?

Old
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
bubs10

I think the fact that Kelly had 3 chances it the important point here, I don't think the other two players had as many chances? Kelly is there to be defensive support, the fact that he almost scored three times is a plus. Of course you guys want your 'big line' together because you, like Murray panic and want to change the lines all of the time. Alfie is doing nothing on his line, he is just holding on to the puck too long and trying to do it all himself. It is hilarious how Spezza turns the puck over like 100 times a game but you guys are saying Kelly looks out of place. Very funny.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:23 AM
The HW

Well that's just it: the thinking goes that with Alfie languishing on that Smoke line -- Smoke and Eaves look fine, but he's not on their page -- and Kelly missing the feeds on the Spezza/Heatley line, the opportunity is there to fix both lines at once.

It's not that people want the lines changing constantly, it's that since the last game of the season (which worked out really well, thanks) people have wanted to see the same change made. I think it will be corrected for Game 3.

God bless Chris Kelly, but he's got a fourth liner's set of hands.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Pothier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs10
I think the fact that Kelly had 3 chances it the important point here, I don't think the other two players had as many chances? Kelly is there to be defensive support, the fact that he almost scored three times is a plus. Of course you guys want your 'big line' together because you, like Murray panic and want to change the lines all of the time. Alfie is doing nothing on his line, he is just holding on to the puck too long and trying to do it all himself. It is hilarious how Spezza turns the puck over like 100 times a game but you guys are saying Kelly looks out of place. Very funny.
You answered your own question. He had at least 3 great chances, and couldn't capitalize. They need the captain back on that line.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

According to sportsnet...Kelly is out for game 3, and Vermette practiced with Heatley and Spezza...could we see:

Vermette-Spezza-Heatley
Schaefer-Fisher-Havlat
Eaves-Smolinski-Alfredsson
Varada-Arnason-Neil

or would you drop Smoke down to line 4?

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hocke...rns_to_lineup/

Old
04-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

I'd like to see Smoke on the 4th line and Arnason with Eaves and Alfie.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Latest news from Sens site:

Kelly is a game time decision....Arnason will dress if Kelly doesn't.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:58 PM
bubs10

I totally agree with the fact that Alfie should be on the first line with Spezza and Heatley, that line has definitely worked before and it will hopefully work again. And I think Kelly should go back with Vermette and Varada, they work well together. I just think that when Jason Spezza turns the puck over 10 times in one game, and you blame Chris Kelly for not capitalizing on chances, there is something wrong there. Everybody has unlucky breaks, his are just highligted right now because he is on the first line and of course typically people panic and blame the little guy (Kelly). Alfie is not being used on the second line like he could on the first line, and he should be moved, but he also has not done too much in the first two games...and it seems like people on this message board are line scramblers like Murray and panic whenever their top guns aren't together for the entire game. Murray is trying to even the lines out and many of you just think that you are going to get 3 amazing goal scorers on every line, it isn't going to happen. You need to stop putting the blame on the 4th liners like Varada, Kelly and Neil and start looking at your core players.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Holy Geez....please use paragraphs...it hurts the eyes!!

Old
04-24-2006, 02:18 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
I totally agree with the fact that Alfie should be on the first line with Spezza and Heatley, that line has definitely worked before and it will hopefully work again. And I think Kelly should go back with Vermette and Varada, they work well together. I just think that when Jason Spezza turns the puck over 10 times in one game, and you blame Chris Kelly for not capitalizing on chances, there is something wrong there. Everybody has unlucky breaks, his are just highligted right now because he is on the first line and of course typically people panic and blame the little guy (Kelly). Alfie is not being used on the second line like he could on the first line, and he should be moved, but he also has not done too much in the first two games...and it seems like people on this message board are line scramblers like Murray and panic whenever their top guns aren't together for the entire game. Murray is trying to even the lines out and many of you just think that you are going to get 3 amazing goal scorers on every line, it isn't going to happen. You need to stop putting the blame on the 4th liners like Varada, Kelly and Neil and start looking at your core players.
It isn't panic to say that Kelly on the top line is a bad move, it's a result of seeing him up there for enough games to judge (including regular season). Kelly's roundly appreciated for what he brings, but top-line talent isn't one of those things, nor should it be.

No one's saying Spezza didn't turn the puck over or that Heatley was on fire. What I'm saying is that Kelly's out of his depth and looking unconfident up there, and Spezza and Heatley look uncomfortable with a linemate who can't keep up with their game. Regardless of how the "core" players are performing, that kind of problem is a needless one that won't fix itself even if the others are playing top-notch.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:21 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

What's funny is that Vermette didn't look all that great on the 1st line either. True, he had limited time, but he was smoking with guys like Kelly and Varada or Kelly and Schubert.

The only guy who consistently shows up on that line is Alfredsson.

Coincidentally, he's also been struggling with Smolinski and Eaves.

To me, it's the biggest no-brainer in the universe.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
What's funny is that Vermette didn't look all that great on the 1st line either. True, he had limited time, but he was smoking with guys like Kelly and Varada or Kelly and Schubert.

I completely agree, but if it has to be someone who isn't Alfredsson (and apparently it does), I'll take Vermette over Kelly any day.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:03 PM
bubs10

Whoever said he was supposed to be of 'top line talent'? I think anybody who has been listening to Murray has recognized that he is there for defence.

*There I 'entered' for those of you who can't read a lot of words jumbled together.

And I don't remember him playing a ton on the top line during regular season, what maybe a few shifts at the end of the season? I agree Vermette is another guy who is underused, and should definitely get a chance to play with better players. He is more talented offensively than Kelly, that is obvious, but Murray wanted Kelly there for defence.

I think having high expectations for that line is expected, but it puts a lot of pressure on them when they have had limited practice, playing together. I just wish Murray would pick his lines and stick with them, whatever they might be.

Anyway, we will see what he does for Tuesday night. I do hope the top line is back together though, and then EVERYBODY will be happy! But I do think it will be Spezza, Heatley and Vermette, and Alfie will stay put and Kelly will be back on the 4th line.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
I won't repeat the diatribe I wrote in the thread from game 2, but I agree 100%. If the playoff performance thus far hasn't helped Murray figure out that Alfredsson really does belong on the top line, then my faith in him was perhaps misplaced. I was calling for that line to be created in the pre-season, I was ecstatic when it was put together for much of the season, and - ESPECIALLY now that Havlat is back and is producing - the decision to not play him on that line is borderline ridiculous. It really is an absolute no-brainer, especially with two road games ahead where the defending Cup champions can line match as they please.

Old
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
ynaffit

Like I've said before, if Murray wanted a "defensive presence" on the line with Spezza and Heatley, the solution isn't Kelly... it's Alfie.

And that's what made the line so good in the first place. Alfie is the ultimate backchecker, and also the ultimate offensive machine. Kelly is just the ultimate defensive forward. Those 2 missed chances by him probably had an impact on the outcome... it would've been pretty big if we went up 2-0 in the game.

Old
04-24-2006, 06:07 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Whoever said he was supposed to be of 'top line talent'? I think anybody who has been listening to Murray has recognized that he is there for defence.
Well, that's not what I meant. I know why he's there, it's just that trying to make that line responsible isn't worth the downside of having Kelly up there, especially in his first playoffs. When he can't keep up with Spezza and Heatley, it actually (IMO) becomes a little scarier defensively, because I counted at least three times last night when Kelly appeared to panic with the puck and put it on a Lightning's stick. Asking him to play on that line, even just as a clean-up-the-mess kind of guy, is unfair to Kelly.

As for how often they were together, I don't know off the top of my head. I'd guess they've started at least six or seven games with that line by now, which is enough to see the flaws in the plan.

In any case, I don't expect miracles, I just want lines that make sense. From the other stuff you said, I think we're on the same page here.

Closed Thread