Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minnesota North Stars name

Old
04-24-2006, 01:10 AM
PoutinePourMoi

vCash: 500
Minnesota North Stars name

I am sure all of you have been asked this alot over the years, but would the fans want the name Minnesota North Stars back? I am pretty sure that Dallas still owns it, but is there a demand for it up in Minnesota? Or are you all content with the Wild?

PoutinePourMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Goldy

The Wild is a dumb name, but North Stars was a dumb name too. I wish their name wasn't an adjective - be the bears, moose, eagles, hawks, etc.

Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:48 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy
The Wild is a dumb name, but North Stars was a dumb name too. I wish their name wasn't an adjective - be the bears, moose, eagles, hawks, etc.

The Wild don't market the team name as the wild-adj. They market it as the wild-n., as in Minnesota wildlife. When they first named the team my big fear was that they were going after the "let's get wild & crazy" adjective, complete w/ crappy songs over the P.A. But when they came out with the animal head logo I felt a lot better about what they were going for. I think it's kind of like the Thrashers name. When I first heard that I thought lame. Are they going to erect a half-pipe at center ice and go after the X-crowd? But when I found out that the name was based on the state bird, I was okay w/ it.

I can still see how seem people wouldn't like the Wild name, because it is very vague, but I'm okay with it. And no, I never wanted the North Stars name back. Although Northern Lights was one of the six finalists. I think it was best to turn over a new leaf.

There is one thing I do want back though. The North Stars retired numbers. I know that a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this point, and I do understand where they're coming from. I just think that the people of MN are a lot more attached to the names that hang in the Southwest Airlines Center rafters than those in Dallas. Do they even know who Masterton is, or why his number was retired? Didn't they also take Neal Broten's number down after the stunt he pulled in the inaugural season? Plus, if we don't spend some money this summer, that 'Wild Fans #1' is really going to start p*ssing me off.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar
Plus, if we don't spend some money this summer, that 'Wild Fans #1' is really going to start p*ssing me off.
Maybe they'll just add "suckers" to the bottom of it.

I liked the North Stars name, but wouldn't want it back. I'm luke-warm on the Wild name. As you said, it can grow on you once you know more about it. I wouldn't have minded something different though, but I'm not sure I could come up with a better one. I've thought Northern would be a nice name, but a lot of people would probably think it was fish-related, which is not how I'd want that used... Muskies is a nice team name if you want a fish. Eelpout or Burbot depending on your persuasion would be fun. The crowd seems to have settled on "Let's go _____", and I'm not a big fan of stretching Wild into Wi-ld. 2 syllables works better in that cheer, if you ask me.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Lake Harriet

Dumbest Name in NHL

I'm a fan, but it's a lame name. Our state is no "wilder" than half the states in the union. There's no "wild" anywhere near the Twin Cities. We should be the "Wild" because of some wild country 250 miles north no more than a New York team should be the "Wild" because there's some wild in the Adirondacks 250 miles north of there. Our insignia is silly, and no one would figure out the double image unless it was pointed out.

Lake Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
I am not a huge fan of the name "Wild", but I loved the name "North Stars". That said, I wouldn't want it back because the North Stars are in the past to me. It took a long time for me to get over them leaving, so the last thing I want is to bring the name back. I'd rather just remember the good times with the North Stars and move forward with the current franchise and current name.

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:47 PM
mattihp

vCash: 639
In the beginning of the Wild era, lots of people here in sweden thought they were called the Wild Cats ^^

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Gophers

I would go with the North Stars again...or anything other than "Wild." I think the logo is pretty cool though. The only downside is it has too many colors...and anyone who can't see the images it has inside it is a complete moron then.
*not meant to be offensive*

Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote