HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings @ Oilers --Nov 1

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
I can't decide...is this a tie that feels like a win or a tie that feels like a loss?

You gotta love how they came back in the 3rd and totally dominated the OT, but giving up 4 goals in 5 minutes to ANY team is simply inexcuseable.

So, anyone want a do-over on the Carter/Dvorak trade? :p

How does Dvorak not get a star tonight?

Old
11-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Hemsky goal was very pretty...what patience...

Old
11-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
That was the long one, right? I haven't seen a replay, but I thought Brewer screened him on it.
I thought so too, from Tommy's pov the puck came out of Eric's sox. The Maltby/Draper goal was a beauty though, those guys have some great chemistry together.

IMO the Wings had more than their share of puck luck at both ends tonight, Smyth was unlucky to not wind up with the hatty.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Whitenoise

Dvorak was amazing tonight. He owned the boards tonight and was skating like a madman. Impressive.

As for Salo, I thought the first three goals were stoppable. McCarty's goal he was perhaps screened on, but it was a long way out and he should've had it. The next two were along the ice. He's gotta take away the bottom half like all the other goalies do. Just one big save during those five minutes and the Oilers have two points.

The defense was terrible tonight as well; I can't blame Salo completely for the 2nd period meltdown. Ferguson and Bergeron were especially terrible in their own end. Lucky for Bergeron he had a good game offensively or I'd say he'd be riding the pine as soon as Cross comes back.

Old
Allan

Quote:
That was the long one, right? I haven't seen a replay, but I thought Brewer screened him on it.
There was a replay on CBC from right behind McCarty, and I couldn't even see Salo through Brewer, so I don't see how Salo could have seen the shot.

Old
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I was wishing Brewer would have went down on his knees and blocked that one but he didn't.

He didn't "flamingo" though.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Digger12

Is NHL.com's on-line ReportViewer broken?

I didn't think it humanly possible, but Horcoff lost ALL 15 of his faceoffs tonight. Not a single win on the dot.

I'm fairly certain even Joey Moss could win a draw if you gave him 15 tries at it. You rock Shawn!

Old
11-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Cerebral

Once again, I don't think the number of goals Salo let in represents how he played. One of my first thoughts after the game ended was that this board would be in an uprage over Tommy's performance.. I for one thought he played well. He had no chance on the tip-in or the shot from right out front of the net.. he got beaten by a really good shot on another goal that very few goalies could have stopped. The only goal that was questionable was McCarty's.. the angle on CBC made seem like Brewer was completely screening Salo's view of the puck and he didn't seem to pick up on it till it was in his net. On the other hand, I felt he made a lot of saves that kept us in the game.

If we need a whipping boy for the game, it should be Bergeron! Though he looked really good on the score sheet, he had well over 5 terrible giveaways in his own zone.. he looked like a really old-school Ozolinsh on a few of those passes! :mad: Man oh man, we should have won it in OT.. Dvorak was a mad man out there, he was all over the place! He's unbelieveably fast and seems to be developing some chemistry with York. Though we gave up the 2-0 lead, I still feel pretty decent with the tie..

Old
Yanner39

Good game, I guess. Salo was strong. Maybe should have had the first one, but it was a giveaway. Bergeron and Ferguson were total crap and yet the genius MacT kept playing them as much as the others. Un-freakin-believable.

York and Dvo...Wow...That line was awsome.

Oh yeah and for those who think Pisani "passed" the puck to Moreau, look again. He was thinking shot all the way and the puck deflected off the d-man's stick right to Moreau. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job along the boards but up to that point, he hadn't done anything. It's great that the Oilers caught a bounce tonight.

Chimera, Pisani, Laraque and Ferguson. These players are definately replaceable. I mean, they are non-existant or they play like crap. I mean, if the Oilers want a player to give the puch away like Ferguson does, I'll do it for much less that what they are paying him. As for Chimera, he plays terrible and take a stupid senseless penalty by mugging his opponent at centre ice.

Anyways, I think them coming back like that is a great way to end the homestand and start the road trip.

Oh yeah, for all the posters who have been protecting Salo these last few weeks, look at Legace performance tonight. He came up big when he had. Tommy did also tonight, but the oilers need that on a regular basis.

Old
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I can't decide...is this a tie that feels like a win or a tie that feels like a loss?
:p

I'd have to say that it's a big fat winner!

It was the second game in a row that the Oilers were the faster team out there, York and Dvorak are going gangbusters. Rag$ fans won't want to see the numbers these guys put up if they're going to keep playing like this all year.

Old
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I thought so too, from Tommy's pov the puck came out of Eric's sox. The Maltby/Draper goal was a beauty though, those guys have some great chemistry together.

IMO the Wings had more than their share of puck luck at both ends tonight, Smyth was unlucky to not wind up with the hatty.

Yeah, I think it was alot more difficult than just a shot from the blueline. Anyway, not to make a big deal of it, but imo Salo should feel pretty good about tonight. He stopped a penalty shot, some rockets from the slot, and made a massive save late on someone who was in all alone.

The defense as a group led me to the liquor cabinet for the hard stuff. Lordy, there must have been 50 awkward passes. Reminded me of the old Washington Capitals.

Old
FacelessButcher

Quote:

I didn't think it humanly possible, but Horcoff lost ALL 15 of his faceoffs tonight. Not a single win on the dot.

I'm fairly certain even Joey Moss could win a draw if you gave him 15 tries at it. You rock Shawn!
r u serious wow! If he lost 8 straight "I would say sorry Shawn no more face-offs for you tonight" if I was Craig Mactavish.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitenoise
Dvorak was amazing tonight. He owned the boards tonight and was skating like a madman. Impressive.
Haha that's hilarious.. I just used the term "madman" in my post to describe Dvorak as well! Maybe we're on to something here..

Old
11-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

How about Smytty on the dot in O.T. eh? That was better than a Gretzky move.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Whitenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Oh yeah and for those who think Pisani "passed" the puck to Moreau, look again. He was thinking shot all the way and the puck deflected off the d-man's stick right to Moreau. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job along the boards but up to that point, he hadn't done anything. It's great that the Oilers caught a bounce tonight.
Haha, I liked how Millen kept going on about Pisani's beautiful pass, even after they showed a replay that clearly has Pisani fanning on the shot and the puck luckily shooting onto Moreau's stick.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
How about Smytty on the dot in O.T. eh? That was better than a Gretzky move.
That was a really nifty move.. would have been an unbelievable finish if he scored on that!

Old
11-01-2003, 07:57 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Anyone who thinks Salo should have stopped the 3rd goal is truely looking for excuses.

I mean, there was a scramble in front of the net, and the puck ends right up on Hull's stick, in the slot... How many times doesn't he score on that play?

And BTW, that wasn't along the ice, like someone else said. Salo was stretched out, and the puck went over his pad, and just off his glove.

And whoever posted that at one point in time Legace had 4 game breaking saves and Salo none? Are you telling me stopping a penalty shot 2 minutes into the game (on a questionable call) isn't huge? He came through tonight against a very good offensive team. He made 5 or 6 big saves (which everyone complained he never made)... but apparantly he needs to make more.

Let it go guys.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Let it go guys.
I agree!

Old
11-01-2003, 08:05 PM
boxall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I sure hope that Lowe is planning on making a couple moves soon. This team is clearly out to lunch and not playing well. Hopefully that rumour about a big trade coming, not Comrie either, is true and something shakes this team up.
Heard any names being mentioned in this rumour? If not Comrie then who? And whoo will be coming our way?

Old
11-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Whitenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Anyone who thinks Salo should have stopped the 3rd goal is truely looking for excuses.

I mean, there was a scramble in front of the net, and the puck ends right up on Hull's stick, in the slot... How many times doesn't he score on that play?

And BTW, that wasn't along the ice, like someone else said. Salo was stretched out, and the puck went over his pad, and just off his glove.

And whoever posted that at one point in time Legace had 4 game breaking saves and Salo none? Are you telling me stopping a penalty shot 2 minutes into the game (on a questionable call) isn't huge? He came through tonight against a very good offensive team. He made 5 or 6 big saves (which everyone complained he never made)... but apparantly he needs to make more.

Let it go guys.
I don't want to get into a big argument, but I disagree vehemently. Salo wasn't atrocious, but he was decidedly mediocre and that simply isn't good enough. He hasn't had one great game this season. He's ranged from bad to only decent. The team has been bailing him out this season and he hasn't even come close to stealing one in return. He's got terrible stats over a significant number of games.

We're not just conjuring this up out of thin air.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:08 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxall9
Heard any names being mentioned in this rumour? If not Comrie then who? And whoo will be coming our way?
What big trade rumour? plz tell

Old
11-01-2003, 08:10 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

My thoughts:

- *massive* games from York and Dvorak.

-I agree with Lowetide. Salo doesn't deserve the criticism he's received in this thread. The McCarty goal, and maybe the Hull goal, were probably stoppable.

-this team can definitely score. I think that aside from some brilliant play from Legace, the Oilers could have been in double-digits tonight. Legace was spectacular. The Oilers created a ton of high-grade scoring chances, particularly Dvorak, who looked just insane out there tonight. We do not need Comrie. Not unless he can strap on the pads and put on a goaltending clinic, or go be the settle-down defenseman tho throw on the ice when the team is panicking.

-for the life of me, I can't figure out what happened during that 5 minute span where they gave up all 4 goals. Would calling a time-out have helped? Was Jason Smith back in the game by that point, or was he still having his leg stitched up?

-I really enjoyed seeing Jason Smith blow Zetterberg right out of the tv-frame towards the end of OT.

-sometimes Bergeron can really look like rookie out there, can't he? Let's hope these are learning experiences for him. He did a lot of things I really liked tonight, too- just a matter of making smarter choices when he's getting the puck out of the zone sometimes. I really do think he can overcome it with experience. No problem.

-we're 4-5-1-0 after 10 games. What were we after 10 games last year, 2-4-3-1 or something like that, right? So, the start hasn't been great, but I think they're still adjusting to the personnel changes, getting to know each other, adapting to life in the Post-Comrie era, stuff like that. I think they're coming along ok. Last year, they didn't really start putting things together until halfway through the long November road-trip. I remember being crushed by the Bruins as the turning point. I think the long roadtrip got the team on the same page last year, and I think it'll help do the same this year. Aside from the Blues and Canucks, nobody in the West is really separating from the pack, so I think Lowe can feel fairly comfortable in waiting on the Comrie situation.

-was it a tie that feels like a win, or a tie that feels like a loss? Well, I don't like the 2nd period collapse, but I do like that they fought back for a tie (and created lots of chances to win). Um, I'm actually pretty happy. They didn't roll over when they fell behind. They showed some guts tonight.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:11 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitenoise
I don't want to get into a big argument, but I disagree vehemently. Salo wasn't atrocious, but he was decidedly mediocre and that simply isn't good enough. He hasn't had one great game this season. He's ranged from bad to only decent. The team has been bailing him out this season and he hasn't even come close to stealing one in return. He's got terrible stats over a significant number of games.

We're not just conjuring this up out of thin air.
Yes salo might have had a mediocre game but his teammates are no better than he is. Salo made a clutch save at the end after another turnover on the oilers. Gave the oilers confidence early on with the save on Shannan*(no idea how to spell his name) The defense was terrible today. Turnover after turnover. I wonder how Salo feels after his defense is horrible in their own zone?

On a side note, at least Brewer is playing much better lately imo. I swear its because he likes playing with semenov and they make a good pair. Not like him and cross, cross is horrible and messes up brewer's game.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
On a side note, at least Brewer is playing much better lately imo. I swear its because he likes playing with semenov and they make a good pair. Not like him and cross, cross is horrible and messes up brewer's game.
I notice that too. He seems to be making the simple plays, pinching at the right time. Hopefully he'll keep improving.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:14 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
My thoughts:

-was it a tie that feels like a win, or a tie that feels like a loss? Well, I don't like the 2nd period collapse, but I do like that they fought back for a tie (and created lots of chances to win). Um, I'm actually pretty happy. They didn't roll over when they fell behind. They showed some guts tonight.
imo, this tie is a loss. We let this game get away from us. We outworked them in the first and came out strong and that all went away in the 2nd. We did manage one point but i would have liked to get 2.

We have blew two games this year against st.louis and detriot. I really hope at the end of the season that these losses or ties won't haunt us in the end to make the playoffs.

Closed Thread