HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Boningo reports kevin weekes is starting tonight on WFAN

Old
04-24-2006, 11:00 AM
KasparKrunch

vCash: 500
Joe Boningo reports kevin weekes is starting tonight on WFAN

listen live at wfan.com

also Kasparaitis skated this morning and is definitley a go...

as of noon Jagr hasn't arrived yet and he is "a game time decision" according to Kevin Burkhart on WFAN 12:00 update live from CAA.

renney has not yet met the media, but kevin weekes did and said that renney told him this morning that he is starting.

KasparKrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Since game 1 was not Lundqvist's fault, I can only assume that this means Henrik is still not 100%.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Umm...wow. I am speechless. Lundqvist still must be a little banged up.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon
Since game 1 was not Lundqvist's fault, I can only assume that this means Henrik is still not 100%.
Exactamundo.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
KasparKrunch

my guess is that lunqvist mentally is not able to play 60 minutes and is just tired.

he did play well though saturday, by no means was the loss his fault.

i have a feeling kevin weekes will come up BIG. he has been the ultimate teammate all year and i think we will be very disciplined.

KasparKrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
When it rains, it pours.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mitchy

Heard this too from Joe B, Hank's defintely hurting, prob told him yesterday in practice it didn't feel right.

Mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Fletch

He may not be 100%, but..

if everybody thinks game 1 wasn't his fault, and thus he was good in nets otherwise, then he should be well enough to play, no? I think Renney's just looking at it as he's given up, what, 11 goals in his two games back, and he needs a win here. That, and Weekes won a series, or a couple games in a series against the Devils, a few years ago and Renney thinks that means something.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Injuries couldn't hit this team at worse time.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

Even if Lundqvist is 100% healthy, I have no problem with playing Weekes..He's played some good hockey against the Devils and in the past has come in during the POs and helped a team change momentum.....I really don't think it will come down to the goalie anyway..The Rangers will eithert get things right and play smart, disciplined hockey or the onslaught will continue no matter the goalie..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Mitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
if everybody thinks game 1 wasn't his fault, and thus he was good in nets otherwise, then he should be well enough to play, no? I think Renney's just looking at it as he's given up, what, 11 goals in his two games back, and he needs a win here. That, and Weekes won a series, or a couple games in a series against the Devils, a few years ago and Renney thinks that means something.
Certainly seemed yesterday that the last thing on Renney's mind was switching goaltenders. He backed Lundqvist up on the 6 goals he gave up, and seemed confident that Henrik would bounce back. Something had to happen in practice yesterday, this morning, that made Renney think Weekes is the best goaltender for tonight. If he thinks Weekes will give the Rangers the best chance to win tonight, I'm all for it.

Mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Even if Lundqvist is 100% healthy, I have no problem with playing Weekes..He's played some good hockey against the Devils and in the past has come in during the POs and helped a team change momentum.....I really don't think it will come down to the goalie anyway..The Rangers will eithert get things right and play smart, disciplined hockey or the onslaught will continue no matter the goalie..
didn't Weekes knock out the Devils when he was playing with Carolina.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Canadude*

Wasn't it a little early for the Rangers to concede this series?

Canadude* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadude
Wasn't it a little early for the Rangers to concede this series?
As opposed to our stone wall who gave up 6 and has looked like a shell of his early to mid season, calder/vezina whispered self?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
It wasn't Lundqvist's fault, but he clearly wasn't on top of his game. His rebound control was off. He was dropping a lot of shots into his glove that he should have held on to. And if Lundqvist was 100%, I think he snaps up the first goal from Elias. The question is whether he was off his game because he was still bothered by the injury or because he was rusty. If it was the former, this is a good move. If it was the latter, this is a bad move. But we just don't have access to that information.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canadude*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
As opposed to our stone wall who gave up 6 and has looked like a shell of his early to mid season, calder/vezina whispered self?
True enough. Lundqvist has been bad lately.

Canadude* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Fletch

I've heard a lot...

about how Weekes did against the Devils a few years ago, and his playoff experience. I don't know if anything happened yesterday in practice except that Renney was looking for ways to change things up to win the game tonight and this could be one way. If I've heard about Weekes' playoff experience, and Renney has mentioned it, I'm sure that has a lot to do with his decision.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
It wasn't Lundqvist's fault, but he clearly wasn't on top of his game. His rebound control was off. He was dropping a lot of shots into his glove that he should have held on to. And if Lundqvist was 100%, I think he snaps up the first goal from Elias. The question is whether he was off his game because he was still bothered by the injury or because he was rusty. If it was the former, this is a good move. If it was the latter, this is a bad move. But we just don't have access to that information.
I think it's a combination of rust, injury-induced hesitancy, and just plain oldfashioned fatigue. As I said in another thread, the guy played a hell of a lot of hockey this season.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Czech Your Math

This is all part of Renney's plan, he's a hockey mastermind.

Lundqvist will be on the Straka/Nylander line, Jagr is the ace one-armed PK'er, and Renney will lace up the skates and be the backup goalie, assuming a Jason-like presence behind the bench to intimidate the Rangers into not taking dumb penalties.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:41 AM
SML

This team has to rally itself. Lundqvist, to me, looks like he's still hurt. The guy has the best lateral movement since Richter, who IMO, was one of the best I ever saw. But how many times did he get beat with plays across the crease? Alot. This team has to stay out of the penalty box, play a patient game, and capitalize on chances. And for God's sake, get the puck on the net. This series is far from over. All the Weekes supporters said we needed him in case Lundqvist went down, well, it looks like you were right. Now it's up to him to prove that the rest of us weren't wrong.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
This team has to rally itself. Lundqvist, to me, looks like he's still hurt. The guy has the best lateral movement since Richter, who IMO, was one of the best I ever saw. But how many times did he get beat with plays across the crease? Alot. This team has to stay out of the penalty box, play a patient game, and capitalize on chances. And for God's sake, get the puck on the net. This series is far from over. All the Weekes supporters said we needed him in case Lundqvist went down, well, it looks like you were right. Now it's up to him to prove that the rest of us weren't wrong.

Didn't watch game 1, but this is something has bugged me all season long. I think there was one play where Malik got the pick right on his stick, and was maybe 2 feet from the top of the goalie crease and shot the puck wide! How do you miss the net from point blank?

Old
04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Didn't watch game 1, but this is something has bugged me all season long. I think there was one play where Malik got the pick right on his stick, and was maybe 2 feet from the top of the goalie crease and shot the puck wide! How do you miss the net from point blank?
Trying to have the perfect shot?

Old
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
The only real knock on Lundqvist had been that he'd take himself out of position on occassion and I think he did that at least twice on Saturday. The guy has been incredible (at least until the Olympics) this season but he wasn't incredible Saturday. Not saying it was all his fault but he has to share in the blame.

All that said, Renney doesn't swicth goalies unless Lundqvist is still hurting.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Czech Your Math

Can we all agree to unite behind Weekes?

We all know he needs to have a good game, but more importantly, the whole team needs to step it up in a big way. Jagr's hurting, Lundqvist seems to be too, and this is no time to start heaping blame on Weekes for this team's shortcomings.

You win as a team, you lose as a team. I really don't want to read a bunch of "what a weak goal" and "Henke would've had that in his sleep" for pages on end. Hopefully, he'll shut out them Diablos and make it a moot point.

The Rangers have really stunk lately, but for the most part I've tried to roll with it, the exception being Renney's bonehead decision to put Jagr on the PK in a 5-1 game, because that could have implications far beyond that single game.

I'm fired up for tonight's game! Go Rangers!!!!

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I just heard Renney on WFAN.They played some clips from earlier today.He said he is playing a hunch with Weekes and his playoff history against the Devils

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote