HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Something Original

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 12:30 PM
senility

vCash: 500
Something Original

I post this as an offshoot of the thundersticks thread. It seems clear that many of us are tired of the generic gimmicks that the team has used in recent years (towels, thundersticks, etc.). I was thinking that if it's true that we really are among the smartest fans in all of hockey, surely we can come up with something distinctively Ottawa to put our stamp on these playoffs. Winnipeg had the towels, Detroit has the octopi, Florida had the rats, Nashville now has the catfish, but what about us?

My first idea was to throw beavertails (the one distinctively Ottawa culinary creation that I know of) onto the ice, but I ran into the logistical dilemma of how to get a steaming hot beavertail from my seat in section 323 all the way down the ice without the aid of a Master Blaster. That is, assuming I could even get it passed the ushers in the first place.

So, I hereby issue a challenge to my fellow Sens fans to come up with something pure and true and original for which we will be remembered for years to come. Either that or we could just shut up and stick with the thundersticks. I leave it to you.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

Paperweights? Governement ID cards!!! Staplers, Hole-Punchers

Or for a glebe flavour,

Running Room Gift Cards, All-Terrain Baby-strollers, Subarus with Yakima Roof racks, free-trade coffee vouchers, pieces of Bank St.(readily available)

Old
04-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Air

Roman things ... Roman things ... gladiator fights! Throw Roman coins on the ice. (pretty dangerous) ... Cockroaches. Actually, cockroaches would be ideal -- small, aerodynamic.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Pothier

Julius Caeser....Little Caesar's......PIZZA! We can throw pizza on the ice!!!

Old
04-24-2006, 12:38 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

If we make far enough into the playoffs, I wouldn't mind seeing thousands of people in togas.

I don't think I've seen that anywhere in the NHL.

Old
04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
If we make far enough into the playoffs, I wouldn't mind seeing thousands of people in togas.
There are many people I would mind seeing in togas.....besides Calgary was doing that in the Bronze Age.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Alain Racette

I like the pizza idea!

Old
04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
senility

Calgary was doing that in the Bronze Age.

Really? I don't remember that. It does seem like a logical fit for us. The marketing people should be fired for not thinking of it. Perhaps they are concerned about undermining the team's family values image by developing a promotion that lends itself to extreme drunkenness and unsolicited public nudity. Still I kind of like it. Besides, it would enable us to break up the usual "Go Sens Go" chant (also not original) with a rousing round of "Toga, Toga, Toga."

I'm liking what we've got so far, but surely there must be more that is distinctive about this place than that. I just moved back home after a decade of living in Newfoundland, where they've got cultural heritage coming out of their pores. I know there are some obvious reasons why they have more attachment to place than we do, but still I've always kind of wondered what it is that makes Ottawans who they are, other than bungalows and minivans. Please help me figure out what that is. If you can find a way to turn it into a hockey gimmick while you're at it, you will have my undying respect and admiration.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
senility

I like the pizza idea!

I suppose that works too, although I don't envy the poor soul charged with cleaning the tomato sauce off the ice.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
kochese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battochio30
Julius Caeser....Little Caesar's......PIZZA! We can throw pizza on the ice!!!
lol Little Caesars Pizza owned by Mike Illitch sp?. also the owner of the redwings. He will love you for the free advertising.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochese
lol Little Caesars Pizza owned by Mike Illitch sp?. also the owner of the redwings. He will love you for the free advertising.
Bleh, we didn't even play them this year.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
I'm all for the togas (and the chant) and wish I could be there to see it.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:29 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Ultimately, the toga idea is a dead one because it has nothing to do with Scotiabank and their "redness".

You wouldn't get any official support and it'd have to be some kind of grassroots endeavour in direct opposition to "Rev up the Red", unless the togas themselves were somehow red and thus expensive.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Ultimately, the toga idea is a dead one because it has nothing to do with Scotiabank and their "redness".

You wouldn't get any official support and it'd have to be some kind of grassroots endeavour in direct opposition to "Rev up the Red", unless the togas themselves were somehow red and thus expensive.
red sheets can't be that much more expensive than white ones, now can they?

ok, it would be a little odd...

oh well. i liked that idea best.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:34 PM
senility

That's true, but if we let them keep their stupid thundersticks, we'd have red and white. Those are both of the colours of Scotiabank, and of Canada I might add. Throw in the beaver tails, and we've successfully combined home team distinctiveness, patriotism and corporate sponsorship in one fell swoop.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:14 PM
senility

Subarus with Yakima Roof racks

That certainly would be memorable and distinctive, and to the best of my knowledge it hasnt' been attempted before. It might take quite a few of us to heave one over the glass, and a few more to distract the security guards, but the thunderous crash of it hitting the ice would undoubtedly bring the crowd to its feet. All the neck reddening thrills of smash up derby, but on ice. How can you possibly get anything more exciting than that. Probably best to do it during the intermission, however. We wouldn't want to take out a star player, and we might require a few extra zamboni runs to restore the ice to a playable condition.

All-Terrain Baby-strollers

Somewhat more feasible, I suppose, but not quite so dramatic in impact. Maybe if they contained well padded babies, but again I think that may be in contravention of the aforementioned family values atmosphere they've worked so hard to create. If the dwarf bowling people got flack from the human rights watch groups, surely we wouldn't escape unscathed either. That said, I personally think that once the Scotiabank Place people introduced those full contact goalie races, they stepped upon a very slippery slope. As with the crowds in the real Roman colloseums, once we get a taste of blood, we're only going to demand more and more extreme spectacles to keep us satisfied.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
CaptainVenom

How about rattling Keys around in your hand it's simple, loud and less crowding

Old
04-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Brandi

Red and White PomPoms !
Not unique.. but , they'd look cool and you can shake them around.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
senility

I just tried it and it is surprisingly loud. Not distinctively Ottawa, but definitely loud and I imagine it would be far less physically taxing than three hours of continuous thundersticking. Has anyone ever heard that being done before? In any case, I'd gladly do it. Now if you can just come up with a way to get about 19,600 other people to join us, we may have something here. It would certainly piss the hell out of Scotiabank to have their crappy logo bearing sticks discarded in favour of a common household item, but I have no problem with a little culture jamming. Besides, if they really love us, surely they could have gone with the Scotiabank Palladium or even the Scotia Centre (SC) or something ever so slightly less lame. I say screw em.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
19,000 people rattling their keys around would probably be the most annoying sound in the world.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:55 PM
CaptainVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility

I just tried it and it is surprisingly loud. Not distinctively Ottawa, but definitely loud and I imagine it would be far less physically taxing than three hours of continuous thundersticking. Has anyone ever heard that being done before? In any case, I'd gladly do it. Now if you can just come up with a way to get about 19,600 other people to join us, we may have something here. It would certainly piss the hell out of Scotiabank to have their crappy logo bearing sticks discarded in favour of a common household item, but I have no problem with a little culture jamming. Besides, if they really love us, surely they could have gone with the Scotiabank Palladium or even the Scotia Centre (SC) or something ever so slightly less lame. I say screw em.

In my old University (Northwestern) we used to do it in College Football games after every kickoff. Really loud and really cool sounding

Old
04-24-2006, 07:55 PM
CaptainVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
19,000 people rattling their keys around would probably be the most annoying sound in the world.

It's better than Thunderstixs

Old
04-24-2006, 07:57 PM
senility

Alright then we'll just do it behind the opposition goalie. Then, just when they've gotten used to it, we'll switch to squeaking chalk across tiny blackboards. Step aside, Mr. Brodeur, you've met your match.

Old
04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility

Alright then we'll just do it behind the opposition goalie. Then, just when they've gotten used to it, we'll switch to squeaking chalk across tiny blackboards. Step aside, Mr. Brodeur, you've met your match.
I like your humour. It's refreshing.

Old
04-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Air

Quote:
Besides, if they really love us, surely they could have gone with the Scotiabank Palladium or even the Scotia Centre (SC) or something ever so slightly less lame. I say screw em.
I love how some fans have shortened our arena name down to Sc'ank.

Closed Thread