HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2002/2004 Bruins = 2006 Hurricanes stylewise?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
2002/2004 Bruins = 2006 Hurricanes stylewise?

Isn't this series a repeat of the matchup in styles we had with the Bruins? The Bruins had a defense that wasn't very agile and our quick forwards were able to exploit them. They also had a young goalie in 2004 who was the talk of the league, but we smoked him. Their forwards were deep and they liked to attack, but our defense matched their size and our goaltender was hot.

The only thing that is different is we have two masters in Gainey/Carbo behind the bench now, the rules have changed, and the refs are calling it tight.

All of those factors play further to our advantage, no?

Old
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
AGalchenyuk27

We did not smoke their goalie until later in the series. Raycroft played very well before then and it still burns me to say...

RYDER FOR CALDER

Old
04-24-2006, 03:01 PM
_habsfan9

it was one game guys

dosnt mean anything at all

watch out for the canes tonite

Old
04-24-2006, 03:02 PM
tinyzombies

I'm not getting ahead of myself. I still think it's a longshot that we'll win the series, but I just thought the style comparison was right on.

The Canes are not the same defensive-oriented physical team that struggled on offense that they were in 2002 either.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Mike8

No, not even close.

Carolina defense not agile...? Tverdovsky and Hedican are two of the best skating defensemen in the game. Kaberle is also a good skater, and Wesley is solid. I think Carolina's D is above average in mobility and skating, but sub-par when it comes to inzone coverage and play along the boards, which is contrary to the B's defense's strengths & weaknesses.

Up front, the B's were centered around the 700-pound line. There wasn't much depth on that club. There was the 700-pound line, then Samsonov, then Rolston who was having a lousy year. Nylander was decent, too.

But this Carolina team has Doug Weight as its third line center. Recchi and Whitney on his wings. Very different in terms of offensive depth. They had 4 30-goal scorers, and around 8-9 20-goal scorers I believe. The 'Canes spread the offense around well... and they have Brind'Amour, a player that the Bruins have desperately needed for a long time and gives a different look to a team.

Style-wise, the Bruins looked to control the game down-low.

Carolina's game is speed on the transition, then launching shots from the top of the circle or high slot.

Again, no comparison I don't think. They're very different teams in every regard.

Oh, and Gerber's not young either.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by _habsfan9
it was one game guys

dosnt mean anything at all

watch out for the canes tonite
It means more than anything. Sure it could be 1-1 but at least it would not be 2-0 and going back home where the crowd could have a real effect.....

It also means that we can beat these guys, and that we could rebound from a 1-0 lead against a team that outscored us this year and this alone is enough for me.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:08 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
No, not even close.

Carolina defense not agile...? Tverdovsky and Hedican are two of the best skating defensemen in the game. Kaberle is also a good skater, and Wesley is solid. I think Carolina's D is above average in mobility and skating, but sub-par when it comes to inzone coverage and play along the boards, which is contrary to the B's defense's strengths & weaknesses.

Up front, the B's were centered around the 700-pound line. There wasn't much depth on that club. There was the 700-pound line, then Samsonov, then Rolston who was having a lousy year. Nylander was decent, too.

But this Carolina team has Doug Weight as its third line center. Recchi and Whitney on his wings. Very different in terms of offensive depth. They had 4 30-goal scorers, and around 8-9 20-goal scorers I believe. The 'Canes spread the offense around well... and they have Brind'Amour, a player that the Bruins have desperately needed for a long time and gives a different look to a team.

Style-wise, the Bruins looked to control the game down-low.

Carolina's game is speed on the transition, then launching shots from the top of the circle or high slot.

Again, no comparison I don't think. They're very different teams in every regard.

Oh, and Gerber's not young either.
I think Wesley and Ward are both below average agility-wise and Kaberle is only average, tho he has good straight-ahead speed. Kaberle and Tverdovsky both cough the puck up as well, much like Gonchar when under pressure.

The 700 pound line did play down low, but the other line was high-tempo if I remember. We had tons of problems with Nylander.

On the whole, I agree with you, but I think there are some comparisons with our quick forwards attacking a non-mobile defense that, like you say, has trouble with in-zone coverage and with a newcomer goalie and with our newcomer goalie as well.

Weight and Recchi are both looking too old to play two-way hockey in an uptempo system as well. But that could change real quick.

And the comparisons of Staal and Thornton are pretty good too. A young kid who doesn't know what to do in the playoffs. That could also change.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Mike8

Well, I'm partial to Wesley. He's slowed down at this point but he's still a very intelligent player who won't get beat often.

I don't disagree that a few Carolina D cough up the puck, just as Bruins D did... but fundamentally their skills are different, and mobility is a general strength on the Canes backline, I'd say.

I really liked Weight's play in Game One. I don't understand why he's taking criticism. He had a few nifty plays around the lip of the crease, drew two penalties, had Souray looking to make big hits on him (and exposed Souray's lack of mobility on a few occasions), and generally was solid out there. Only thing one can really criticize him for is that he let Ribeiro check him off the puck and do a decent job on him down-low.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:23 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Well, I'm partial to Wesley. He's slowed down at this point but he's still a very intelligent player who won't get beat often.

I don't disagree that a few Carolina D cough up the puck, just as Bruins D did... but fundamentally their skills are different, and mobility is a general strength on the Canes backline, I'd say.

I really liked Weight's play in Game One. I don't understand why he's taking criticism. He had a few nifty plays around the lip of the crease, drew two penalties, had Souray looking to make big hits on him (and exposed Souray's lack of mobility on a few occasions), and generally was solid out there. Only thing one can really criticize him for is that he let Ribeiro check him off the puck and do a decent job on him down-low.
He had a few good shifts, but his defensive coverage wasn't very good. I don't think Recchi gives him much help in either end at this stage of his career.

I think Wesley is on his last legs also. I like him too, very solid player in his day, but he looks done to me.

At their age, they aren't going to get stronger as the series goes on either.

Closed Thread