HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elias Underrated

Old
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 500
Elias Underrated

I am sorry to come over here, since I always bother you Devil fans, but thanks for letting me vent, mostly against the national media. My issue is this: Doesn't it irk you at how little credit Elias gets? When I watch a televised game, he gets little credit for the Devils success, and it by default goes to Brodeur (which is why I get so annoyed at the hype surrounding Brodeur...nothing against him, he's a great guy, but he gets credit for everything!)

I believe that Elias is the most underrated player in the NHL and he is the cog around which the Devils revolve (offensively). When he came back, the Devils were a different team, creating problems for other team's defensive schemes and at the same time elevating Gomez and taking pressure off of other lines. He is the team's MVP for certain. I don't think you fans truly know what you have in Elias.

So please, when y'all win games and eventually the Cup, please give him some credit. Brodeur is a great goalie, but he didn't score the 6 goals in game 1 (but he did only give up 1, so he did his part). Give Elias his due!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 03:19 PM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
I agree with this, but most true hockey fans know how special Elias is. I've seen some of the "Best LWs in the League" threads, and usually, Patty is in the top 5, which is where he should be. Elias alone gives us two scoring lines when he doesn't play with Gio and Gomez. And you are right; he definitely sparked the Devils offense and overall team when he returned from Hep A.

4check22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 03:38 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
As a Ranger fan I can safely say Patrick Elias is one of the best players we have to play against. He is up there with Gagne in terms of being dangerous. The guy is straight up nasty.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 04:47 PM
OCD

the thing i find so amazing is he sees plays developing, thinking 3-4 passes ahead of when they are made...his touch passes are uncanny. It's nice to see fans from other teams take notice. His team first attitude and clean play make him easy to like no matter what team you pull for...well except if your team is playing the devils in the post season...

OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 08:04 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I am sorry to come over here, since I always bother you Devil fans, but thanks for letting me vent, mostly against the national media. My issue is this: Doesn't it irk you at how little credit Elias gets? When I watch a televised game, he gets little credit for the Devils success,
I disagree. There was a TON of commentary on the Devils' turnaround when Elias returned.

Elias definitely gets the due he has so richly earned.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 08:49 PM
bk3nj

the guy is special.. the Devs have lost, what, only like 9 games (in regulation) since he came back from being out?

but, he is a free agent after this year....

not that Lou would ever let him go.

bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
As a Ranger fan I can safely say Patrick Elias is one of the best players we have to play against. He is up there with Gagne in terms of being dangerous. The guy is straight up nasty.
I have to say that he is better than Gagne. Gagne doesn't make the players around him better in the way that Elias does. I see Gagne as a straight up finisher, whereas Elias is better at setting guys up...and scoring.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I disagree. There was a TON of commentary on the Devils' turnaround when Elias returned.

Elias definitely gets the due he has so richly earned.
What I tend to see are highlights or games where the announcers only seem to mention Brodeur as the only Devils star player. In my experience (which is not in New Jersey, so I don't know how the team is treated there) the Devils are often portrayed as a faceless team with a star goalie. While Brodeur is crucial to the team, without Elias, I don't see this team amounting to too much. Maybe winning one round, if they even would make the playoffs. But with Elias, right now I think the Devils win the Cup.

Old
04-24-2006, 11:35 PM
haakon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
What I tend to see are highlights or games where the announcers only seem to mention Brodeur as the only Devils star player. In my experience (which is not in New Jersey, so I don't know how the team is treated there) the Devils are often portrayed as a faceless team with a star goalie. While Brodeur is crucial to the team, without Elias, I don't see this team amounting to too much. Maybe winning one round, if they even would make the playoffs. But with Elias, right now I think the Devils win the Cup.
Elias is the Devils offensive leader. Their defensive leader is more of a group effort and can be attributed to either Rafalski/White. And Brodeur is their franchise goalie. Of course the Devils and Brodeur don't amount to much without Elias, just like Hasek wouldn't without Alfredsson, Spezza, Chara, Redden or Heatley. Or how Lundqvist wouldn't have been anywhere near as impressive without Jagr.

They're just a better team with their star skater in the line-up, plain and simple. I don't see how you should turn this into a knock on the credit to which Brodeur receives. The Devils wouldn't amount to much without Brodeur maybe not even the playoffs.

Also I've noticed Gionta receiving more attention than Elias and Gomez as well. Could this be because they are Americans rather than Czechs?

haakon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar

Elias IMO is the most complete LW'er in the game. Stickhandling, Passing, Shooting, Skating and his vision are uncanny. But he also plays defense and is very competent in his own zone and back checking through the neutral zone. Sublime talent inside a system that doesnt constrict him as many analysts say. He's been doing it since 99. I thought he was the second best player in the Devils cup march in 2000. His 2 goals against philly in game 7 of the ECF's were as clutch as it gets. and the blind feed to Arnott in Game 6 against Dallas in the SCF's was amazing.

The media doesnt know how to cover anything right anyway. the Devils being a team of no-names with the great goalie is strictly shoddy reporting.

Anyway, Now that Elly El is 100% healthy and back to being transcendent, I hope Lou gets him locked up and sews that C onto his jersey.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Vancouver fan here. Huge huge Elias fan. The guy is all about guts, perseverance, and all kinds of finish. I don't see how anyone can underrate the guy... he's just so damned good.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:34 AM
devsfan8

I am not sure Elias is underrated. I think hockey fans who watch the sport and appreciate skill see how good he is. I have never heard anybody say he was anything less then one of the top 3 or 4 LW's in the game.

devsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 01:46 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Elias should join all his Czech buddies on the Rangers next year

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN
Elias should join all his Czech buddies on the Rangers next year

dont count on it, pal

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

I think he is arguably the best active LW'er in the game. He dekes, shoots, and passes with pinpoint pecision. He's also great on defense. He's the darkhorseoffensive leader on a defense oriented Devils team. Brodeur get most of the credit-which he absolutely deserves-but I think he deserves more attention. The casual hockey fan thinks of him as a threat, and nothing more. But true hockey fans are ridiculously biased, or just down right ignorant if they over look Elias.

He single-handedly turned this team around, from 9th place to Atlantic Division champions. New Jersey NEEDS him to stay, and thank God he loves New Jersey. He might not wear the "C", but he is definately our leader.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
no question he is the leader

i saw numerous times last night, he wasnt even on the ice for a questionable play that occured, and he got up off the bench and came out to talk to the refs about it after a stoppage in play. i was impressed

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHockeyLately
Elias IMO is the most complete LW'er in the game. Stickhandling, Passing, Shooting, Skating and his vision are uncanny. But he also plays defense and is very competent in his own zone and back checking through the neutral zone. Sublime talent inside a system that doesnt constrict him as many analysts say. He's been doing it since 99. I thought he was the second best player in the Devils cup march in 2000. His 2 goals against philly in game 7 of the ECF's were as clutch as it gets. and the blind feed to Arnott in Game 6 against Dallas in the SCF's was amazing.

The media doesnt know how to cover anything right anyway. the Devils being a team of no-names with the great goalie is strictly shoddy reporting.

Anyway, Now that Elly El is 100% healthy and back to being transcendent, I hope Lou gets him locked up and sews that C onto his jersey.
yep. The complete package...

i think this season is the first that he is getting that big time star label - good for him. But he has been a devastating player since the days of Sykora. Notice how Lou let Sykora go - he knew that Elias was the REAL DEAL between those two.

Sykora is an ALMOST player...just like his two shots last night...DING DING no goal.

Anyway, mad shouts to Elias - he is so smooth.

AGraveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
nni

its a devs fan lovefest, what the hell is going on today?!?!!?!?

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
zarathustra1900

Hi again.

No , I disagree. Elias is not underrated. He is humble perhaps, but all players and fans know what his caliber is.

I honestly have never gotten that vibe. I think everyone is aware of what he is.

If anything, I think he honestly may be given a *bit* too much credit for the teams performance...*only* in that as if he is teh only talented offensive player we possess, which is far from true.

He is a catalyst and a leader. His return should prove this.

he should be wearing the "C". No question in my mind. His character and demeanor represent the Devils and players.

At times I feel they don't ( and this has never been said before that I have ever read....) give him the "C" asI think they might feel Brodeur should be wearing it..

ciao.

PS: This is the only season I have ever truly followed the NYR due to their czech players. I am a big follower and fan of czech players and hockey. I think they are outstanding in every respect...the czech players on the NYR that is.

Whether they are on the proper team is another story.

zarathustra1900 is offline   Reply With Quote