HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Umberger hit. Am I the only one to think this?

Old
04-23-2006, 02:06 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Umberger hit. Am I the only one to think this?

Am I the only one that thought about the Lindros hit when I saw hit Umberger took last night??? Seemed like an exact re-creation....

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 02:09 PM
pitthockey81

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtFWSL5Cgos

This hit??

pitthockey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

There was a certain aura surrounding the lindros hit...lindros almost single-handedly won game six the night before in jersey--he deflected one in about .00000001 seconds too late at the end of the second period...it would have put us up 1-0, maybe we hold on, go onto the finals--and who knows

Game seven, lindros goes down in what the first five minutes, you knew this was going to happen, by guess who scott stevens...and the flyers fortunes seemed to have been sealed on that play, i knew we werent gonna win the game...

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitthockey81
Stevens hit

Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Evil Ted

Lindros gets hit when hes trying to cut across the blueline coming into the offensive zone, umberger is hit on a breakout pass comming straight up the ice, i think they are very much differnt with very simalar results.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 03:57 PM
FlyersFanJS

nah, the hit was distinctly different....plus people like umberger

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2006, 04:08 PM
sansan

You can't blame the outcome of the hit completely on Umberger either. I think that's an important distinction as well. Niko needs to make a better pass next time.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 01:27 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
You can't blame the outcome of the hit completely on Umberger either. I think that's an important distinction as well. Niko needs to make a better pass next time.

well the pass was good in that it was on his stick. The mistake was MAKING the pass. Niko should have seen campbell coming down to nail him.

califlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 01:32 AM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
well the pass was good in that it was on his stick. The mistake was MAKING the pass. Niko should have seen campbell coming down to nail him.
Yea, I know. That's what I meant. He needs to make a better decision when making the pass.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 01:37 AM
califlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
Yea, I know. That's what I meant. He needs to make a better decision when making the pass.

yeah I was reading RJ's blog and he said dimi probably shouldn't have made that pass. Hopefully RJ and dimi are still friends. It was a bang bang play though. I say we win game 2 and tie this baby up. Hopefully RJ is really ok.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/blogs/rookiediary.html

Back on my feet
Sunday, April 23
(Editor’s note: Umberger was knocked out of the Flyers’ playoff opener Saturday night in Buffalo when he was shouldered to the ice by Sabres defenseman Brian Campbell with 8:40 remaining in the first overtime period. He is questionable for Monday night’s Game 2.)

I got my wits back real quick. My motion skills never left me. There was a period of time where I lost a little short-term memory. Other than that I wanted to go back out last night but they wouldn't let me.

I can't talk about (whether I can play Monday). I have no idea. It's up to the doctors, not me. I've talked to them a little bit but they still have to evaluate it more. I've got to get some massages done on my neck. I feel fine but it's up to them.

I thought the hit I took in New York (when Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg slammed him into the boards March 22) was harder, honestly. But this was pretty hard, too. I watched it once and it was a legal hit. It's legal by the rules, but should you eliminate hits to the head altogether? That's another question. It was a pass up ice and I wasn't expecting him to step up, especially Campbell, and it just caught me off guard.

(Niko Dimitrakos) probably shouldn't have made the pass. The guy making that pass should have seen the guy stepping up. I come across the middle all the time. In that situation, I did not expect that guy to step up. I knew who it was and I didn't expect him to step up.

Everybody said I should have had my head up but I was just looking for the pass, taking a step. It's a hard play to have your head up, but I guess you have to. It's not like I play the whole game with my head down. My head is usually up. He just caught me at a vulnerable time.

If it was dirty, then maybe you retaliate (in Game 2). The guys handled it right on the ice from what I saw. They went after him and that's part of the game.

califlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:37 AM
PRB

I've read on some other boards fans trying to find a way to claim that hit was illegal and I just cant see it. I think it was one of the best hits i've ever seen that was 100% clean. It's exactly what you want to see from big hits in hockey. You dont want to see anyone get hurt but you also want to see bit hits where the elbows are not being used.

PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:48 AM
2x4*

Its legal 100%
Now if a flyer takes a cheap shot at a Sabre, then I'll be angry, but you know what. If a flyer lays a clean hit and totally wrecks a Sabre, its just part of the game you know? The fire is burning, and they are playing fair, let the puck drop and the bodies fly.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:55 AM
PRB

Thats what I liked about game 1, baring a few hits that got penalised the hitting was generally clean. The game was played with an edge but it never really over stepped the mark. The atmosphere in Buffalo looked great and when we get games 3 and 4 at home no doubt Philly will be rocking. I'm confidant we can get it done.

PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 10:04 AM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25
Am I the only one that thought about the Lindros hit when I saw hit Umberger took last night??? Seemed like an exact re-creation....
That's exactly the first thing I thought. Not just the hit, but the glazed over look in Umbergers eyes. I can't believe they're saying he's going to play tonight and that he wanted to get back in the game on Sat. Amazing.

As far as the hit itself, it was definitely a legal hit. However, anytime you dish out a hit to the head, no matter how "legal" it is, my feeling is that it's still a cheap shot.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 10:10 AM
TK79

I think the only similiarities were that they were both open ice hits and both players got knocked the **** out.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:39 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 04:15 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS

umberger also isnt a *****, and might not even miss a game

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Sunny Leone*

Attached Images
File Type: jpg umberger-soup.jpg‎ (139.9 KB, 14 views)

Sunny Leone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 05:23 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres77
not bad, got a good laugh

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 06:12 PM
BringBackStevens