HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Local Sports Talk Radio

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 05:59 PM
wingsrthebest

vCash: 500
OT- Local Sports Talk Radio

What do you guys listen to, and especially for Wings talk/information?

Is xyt 1270/Art Regner the #1 place to get Red Wings information?

Old
04-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsrthebest
What do you guys listen to, and especially for Wings talk/information?

Is xyt 1270/Art Regner the #1 place to get Red Wings information?
Depends on what info. If you want to hear Art slobber about the Wings than yeah it's the best place. Dont mind his partner he's a moron and knows nothing about sports.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Higgy4

I normally listen to 1130 WDFN. It comes in crystal clear down here in Toledo. I actually know Sean Baligian from when he worked here in Toledo. I played some hockey with him. Nice guy.

Good station.

Old
04-25-2006, 06:06 AM
sarcastro

I generally prefer WDFN, but during the hockey playoffs their coverage is just abysmal, like it is all season long, as a matter of fact. At least Art talks about the Wings on a daily basis. The only thing you'll get out of WDFN is the occasional snippet from Wojo, and that's usually only on days when he has a Wings article in the paper that he's pimping.

Old
04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I generally prefer WDFN, but during the hockey playoffs their coverage is just abysmal, like it is all season long, as a matter of fact. At least Art talks about the Wings on a daily basis. The only thing you'll get out of WDFN is the occasional snippet from Wojo, and that's usually only on days when he has a Wings article in the paper that he's pimping.
Actually, Baligian is a hockey NUT. He talks hockey on his show (9-noon) all the time.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Actually, Baligian is a hockey NUT. He talks hockey on his show (9-noon) all the time.
I'm never listening during those hours.

I listen to Jamie and Brady on the way to work (lack of other options, mostly) and they know NOTHING about hockey and don't even try. And then after work it's either Stony and Wojo (even worse than J & B for hockey knowledge and coverage) or Regner.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Higgy4

Quote:

I listen to Jamie and Brady on the way to work (lack of other options, mostly) and they know NOTHING about hockey and don't even try. And then after work it's either Stony and Wojo (even worse than J & B for hockey knowledge and coverage) or Regner.
Thats too bad you cant hear Baligian's show then. He loves to talk hockey. Unfortunately he is a Habs fan, so he will be gloating about them this morning.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:30 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Thats too bad you cant hear Baligian's show then. He loves to talk hockey. Unfortunately he is a Habs fan, so he will be gloating about them this morning.
Sometimes I catch a second of his show when I'm on my way to pick up lunch. It's never done anything for me though.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Sometimes I catch a second of his show when I'm on my way to pick up lunch. It's never done anything for me though.
I think he does a good show. I am biased a bit because I have known the guy for about 10 years. He had a great show down here in Toledo, and I was pretty pissed when he left for WDFN. When he was here in Toledo he would organize Wednesday Night street hockey games in the radio station parking lot that he worked at. We would have 50+ people on some nights. He was a very popular guy down here. Thankfully I can still pick him up.

He is annoying at times, but most radio hosts are at some point.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Goldark

Quote:

Brady is actually a big hockey guy (being Canadian and all) but you're right about Jamie. Brady does the "Ice Time" show Beligan sometimes, but overall WDFN's hockey coverage is lacking.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:55 AM
doublejack

I don't like Baligian at all. He's got Jim Rome syndrome - he'll say the same thing 10 different ways, repeating himself and jabbering on like an idiot. And he's a Habs slappy. And he uses the word "cat" to refer to people incessantly.

I really prefer WDFN to XYT (Baligian aside), but like sarcastro said WDFN spends about 1% of their air time covering the Wings. Stoney will talk about professional wrestling more than hockey. It's pathetic. So most of the time I'm listening to XYT. Plus, although Regner is an idiot, he is very close with several Wings and gets good insider info from time to time. The only time it's worth listening to WDFN is when they have Kevin Allen on.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
sarcastro

Anyone else think it's really funny to watch the postgame interviews with Babcock and see the kinds of looks he gives Art when he asks questions? You can just tell that Art bugs the hell out of him, but he has to be polite and answer his questions with a sarcastic smile.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
I don't like Baligian at all. He's got Jim Rome syndrome - he'll say the same thing 10 different ways, repeating himself and jabbering on like an idiot. And he's a Habs slappy. And he uses the word "cat" to refer to people incessantly.
He also refers to callers as "dudes" and makes excessive use of the word "gay" to describe things he doesn't like.

Not that I find it offensive at all, I do this myself - but I just think, as a talk show host speaking to the public and representing your station, you should maintain a level of professionalism, ie cut down on the juvenile remarks.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Anyone else think it's really funny to watch the postgame interviews with Babcock and see the kinds of looks he gives Art when he asks questions? You can just tell that Art bugs the hell out of him, but he has to be polite and answer his questions with a sarcastic smile.
I know Art asks some of the dumbest questions Babcock receives. Babcock must think he's dealing with the biggest moron at that station. Which isn't true and thats a scary thought.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:50 AM
wingsrthebest

I wish Art was a little more subjective but it seems they(1270) get all the good interviews and have the best "insiders."

The problem with Sean Baligan is that he goes up against XYT's the sports inferno, in my opinion the best local sports radio show, period. Stoney/Wojo barely talk any sports, and the morning radio on both stations blow.

Actually, the sportsinferno has its own website (sportsinferno.com) and they have forums and all types of stuff- Some of the hockey fans on there acutally told me about these HF forums...

I wish there was more wings talk though, instead everyone is discussed the next Lions' mistake (NFL draft is this weeked ).

Old
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Higgy4

Quote:

I really prefer WDFN to XYT (Baligian aside), but like sarcastro said WDFN spends about 1% of their air time covering the Wings. Stoney will talk about professional wrestling more than hockey. It's pathetic. So most of the time I'm listening to XYT. Plus, although Regner is an idiot, he is very close with several Wings and gets good insider info from time to time. The only time it's worth listening to WDFN is when they have Kevin Allen on.
You are right. He does do all of those things. He is definitly a Habs slappy. He referers to other guys as "cat" or "dude" all the time. And he is repetitive. But he is very energetic and puts alot of effort into his show. His love for hockey is obvious, even though he loves the Habs. But its nice to know that you will always get hockey talk when he is on the air. I love his Pick 3 game he does from time to time.

He is annoying...I said that earlier. But I think his show is pretty good. His show is called "It Is What It Is with Sean Baligian". And I think that title fits his show well.

Old
04-25-2006, 10:53 AM
O'shizzle

Quote:
Yes, but he's good guy to have a beer with, and there are fewer compliments to a man that mean more.

Old
04-25-2006, 11:17 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shizzle
Yes, but he's good guy to have a beer with, and there are fewer compliments to a man that mean more.
He can sing really well too, he's done the Canadian anthem at Griffins games before. I'm sure he's a great guy, but his career choice doesn't suit him.

Old
04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
He can sing really well too, he's done the Canadian anthem at Griffins games before. I'm sure he's a great guy, but his career choice doesn't suit him.

For him it is. He has done OK for himself in the choice he made. Alot of people like him.

Old
04-25-2006, 03:36 PM
doublejack

Quote:
For him it is. He has done OK for himself in the choice he made. Alot of people like him.
He knows he's not liked by everyone though. He even jokes about having a handful of listeners. (What's he up to now anyway, 30-something?). I admire his energy and passion, but he'd make a better program director than a host. Or if he must be on the air he needs a co-host that will do most of the talking (like Doug Karsch does for Art Regner).

Old
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
He knows he's not liked by everyone though. He even jokes about having a handful of listeners. (What's he up to now anyway, 30-something?). I admire his energy and passion, but he'd make a better program director than a host. Or if he must be on the air he needs a co-host that will do most of the talking (like Doug Karsch does for Art Regner).
Yeah, but part of that is pure schtick. He did the same thing in Toledo. When he left I think he was up to around 14 listeners.

You have to have variety, especially in a market like Detroit. And he is different than most anyone else in the market. So...he is what he is. LOL

Old
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

I really like listening to Sean Baligian and the best move DFN was to get rid of BT and put Sean in that spot. He's not a fake like most radio guys on the air right now and he has a passion for the hockey which is a nice change. But he also know his audience thats why he doesn't talk about it 24/7. Although i'd like to have Marty get a little more air time with him, they work well off each other. And you cant tell me you dont laugh when Pick 3 turns into ***** 3

Old
04-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Hank19

Love or hate Regner and Carsh (I can't stand Doug Carsh) they talk more about the Wings than anyone at WDFN. Jamie and Brady talk a bit as does Sean Beligin but it seems that 'The Big Show' will talk more hockey than the Fan.

Closed Thread