HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ozo's gotta go

Old
04-25-2006, 06:12 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
The trade just made no sense. We needed a real nice SOLID shutdown defenseman, example: Denis Gauthier. We didn't need an out of position forward who just cannot play a lick of defense.
Hah... Gauthier shutdown the Sabres hardcore for 2 2nd rounders. Nice trade Clarkie.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
The trade just made no sense. We needed a real nice SOLID shutdown defenseman, example: Denis Gauthier. We didn't need an out of position forward who just cannot play a lick of defense.
We don't need Ozo. True. But I'm not sure who did Gauthier and Flyers shut down recently. Only the Rangers. Buffalo's speed is exposing those lumbering jacks - Hatcher, Rathje, Gauthier... anyone else?

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Forget about Ozo and Gauthier. The guy I wanted was Carney. He has size, plays a safe game and has good playoff experience. Plus he's a UFA this summer so we wouldn't be stuck with him if things didn't work out.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94
Forget about Ozo and Gauthier. The guy I wanted was Carney. He has size, plays a safe game and has good playoff experience. Plus he's a UFA this summer so we wouldn't be stuck with him if things didn't work out.
I believe he was more than a 3rd rounder that we've gotten for Neimo. Either way, Neimo would fit perfectly on the 3rd line and Hollweg would fit perfectly on the 4th line, thus excluding Orr. Better yet, I would've kept the pick myself.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
I believe he was more than a 3rd rounder that we've gotten for Neimo. Either way, Neimo would fit perfectly on the 3rd line and Hollweg would fit perfectly on the 4th line, thus excluding Orr. Better yet, I would've kept the pick myself.
yeah, he was a 2nd and a prospect (Brett Skinner)

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 12:25 AM
BigE

I still maintain the opinion that we didn't need to make a trade, period.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
motojime

Ozo is just not being used in the situations he has to be used. He makes mistakes? So why play him 25 minutes a game? Play him on the PP and on the scoring lines only.

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 07:47 AM
BigE

Even playing him with the scoring line creates a liability. The man can't make a first pass, let alone support a scoring line in any way, shape, or form other than jumping into the play and leaving his partner out to dry.

Old
04-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I still maintain the opinion that we didn't need to make a trade, period.
Without knowing Pock and Liffiton could really do, it would have been a leap of faith. Not sure how Renney would have filled out the roster during the Malik, Kaspar and Poti injuries without him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 09:14 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Without knowing Pock and Liffiton could really do, it would have been a leap of faith. Not sure how Renney would have filled out the roster during the Malik, Kaspar and Poti injuries without him.
Part of the rebuild would be to find out the answers to these type questions. Ozo will not be part of a core that will challenge for the Cup. However, Pock or Liffiton may well be part of such a core. Suffer today may bear fruit tomorrow.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojime
Ozo is just not being used in the situations he has to be used. He makes mistakes? So why play him 25 minutes a game? Play him on the PP and on the scoring lines only.
Those two gigantic mistakes were made on the PP. On Madden's first goal Ozo pinched when he should've stayed back and he knocked in Madden's second goal on an expiring PP. Ozo is a defensive liability no matter how you use him!

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 12:36 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I think it was fair to say then, and it certainly is now, that trading for Ozo was also a leap of faith.

Old
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
motojime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth
Those two gigantic mistakes were made on the PP. On Madden's first goal Ozo pinched when he should've stayed back and he knocked in Madden's second goal on an expiring PP. Ozo is a defensive liability no matter how you use him!
Sad but true

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Edge

At the end of the day the issue is the same as it was then.

How much would one be willing to trade?

Now even playing Devil's Advocate and saying they made a big trade, I don't know if it really changes anything.

I think the Rangers still falter down the stretch and are still in this situation with the Devils. The only difference would be that we'd have given up something of much higher value.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote