HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Time to beat a Cup-level team...

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 05:06 AM
Foppa

vCash: 500
Time to beat a Cup-level team...

I dunno about all of you, but today's game is going to be a nice test. Frankly, with all due respect, the team's we've beaten so far aren't exactly the cream of the crop. We've run up the score a bit in some of those games...and a 5-4 record with what amounts to an easy starting schedule is disappointing.

I hope this team starts finding some consistancy in its play, and at the defending Stanley Cup champs is a good place to start. Vancouver is not going to let up this season and you know they don't want to repeat what happened at the end of last season. Digging ourselves a hole this year is not a good idea.

Old
11-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I agree today is an important one for Colorado. October is gone... no more excuses about "not melding" and rustiness and all the rest. Game on, boys. Either start owning or be owned. Though NJ home games are boring as snot because of their trap / deathly quiet fans, I will be jumping back and forth between this and the Pens game.

Then tonight, it'll be the Leafs game and Oilers game late.

Lot of great matchups today!

Old
11-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Laperriere22*

With the Devils just tying it up at 2-2, the Avs are playing a high-wire act game. Aebischer is wandering everywhere and is kicking out big rebounds and the Avs are playing in the Devils hands most every shift. The Avs have had some good chances, but they're giving up way too many for the few they've had. If something doesn't change, the Avs are going to be hardpressed to win this one. The Devils are all over them halfway through the game.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:22 AM
fcbarcelona

aebischer sucks. granato is a terrible coach. players can't execute foote's team concept. injuries mounting. that about sums it up for this team. sorry for the pessimism but ive got to say that this team is going no where fast. thank god they play tommorrow so they have a chance to rebound quickly. regardless, its looking more like the avs won't get their act together in time to win the cup. becoming a cup winning team takes a long time and time is running out for the avs.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:25 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
aebischer sucks. granato is a terrible coach. players can't execute foote's team concept. injuries mounting. that about sums it up for this team. sorry for the pessimism
It's ok, you've been like this after every Avs loss for the past four years, jeri.

We lost to the defending champs by *one* goal while missing six regulars. It's disappointing, but it's certainly something to work on. The Devils were the measuring stick at the moment, and if you were to tell me we'd lose by one goal to them while missing the best player in the world, an explosive scoring winger, alot of depth players and with David Aebischer in net, I'd take it.

Quote:
becoming a cup winning team takes a long time and time is running out for the avs.
After 10 games...

...right.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:27 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
aebischer sucks. granato is a terrible coach. players can't execute foote's team concept. injuries mounting. that about sums it up for this team. sorry for the pessimism but ive got to say that this team is going no where fast. thank god they play tommorrow so they have a chance to rebound quickly. regardless, its looking more like the avs won't get their act together in time to win the cup. becoming a cup winning team takes a long time and time is running out for the avs.
need a tissue? sheesh, get over it.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:32 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9
need a tissue? sheesh, get over it.
doesn't it concern you that the devils have less or equal "talent" in comparison to the avs, except in goal, and yet they're still able to dominate our team? even with forsberg and kariya gone, the avs are much more capable of playing better.

doesn't it bother you that forsberg and selanne may not come back if there is a lock out? what about the fact that sakic ain't gettin younger. the time to win is now as i said in my previous post. with so much at stake, it only adds more to the distate of this team losing (since I already hated it as well). sure i can handle it better but the stinging feelin only lasts for a few min. good for you if it doesn't happen to you tho.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:40 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
When will the Avs realize they need a real goaltender?
Hopefully before the Canucks do.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
It is November 1.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:46 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
doesn't it concern you that the devils have less or equal "talent" in comparison to the avs, except in goal, and yet they're still able to dominate our team? even with forsberg and kariya gone, the avs are much more capable of playing better.

doesn't it bother you that forsberg and selanne may not come back if there is a lock out? what about the fact that sakic ain't gettin younger. the time to win is now as i said in my previous post. with so much at stake, it only adds more to the distate of this team losing (since I already hated it as well). sure i can handle it better but the stinging feelin only lasts for a few min. good for you if it doesn't happen to you tho.
since when is losing 4-3 considered being "dominated"?

Also, don't forget, NJ is the defending champion. We have, what, 9 regulars out of the lineup? You expect them to come out in waves & dominate the game? Maybe they would against a lesser team, but an elite team like NJ? Don't think so.

Yea, the loss stings. Everyone of them does a little. But, we are TEN games into the season. So, like I said.....get over it. The team will & is moving on as we speak.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:56 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:

Also, don't forget, NJ is the defending champion. We have, what, 9 regulars out of the lineup? You expect them to come out in waves & dominate the game? Maybe they would against a lesser team, but an elite team like NJ? Don't think so.

Yea, the loss stings. Everyone of them does a little. But, we are TEN games into the season. So, like I said.....get over it. The team will & is moving on as we speak.
dominated = just trying to hang on, which is what the avs were doin
i didn't say they should dominate theire opponent - i wanted the avs to match the devils play, tho it can understandably be more difficult with all of the personnel changes. nonetheless, it shouldn't be an excuse if you want the cup

i was over it. im not going to dwell on the loss. but i still haven't changed my view that the avs need to become a cohesive team fast! time is precious

Old
11-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:

Since they spent most of the game dealing with Devils cycle in their own zone. The Devils did what they wanted to do almost the entire game and when that happens, that's usually considered being dominated. The scoreline is a testament to how good Tanguay and Hejduk were; if those two had decided to disappear a la Sakic, the Avs would have been routed.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:30 AM
TheCustodian

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

*glances at which goaltending duo is close to the top of GAA and SV%*

Watch out this year.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Honestly, the Avs were lucky to be even in this game. I'm working today, but I was able to listen to the game on the radio. Outside of Tanguay and Hejduk, it doesn't sound as if anybody else had a good game. The PK has been good and bad in stretches and after a good start, Aebischer is playing average (not terrible) hockey. Abby is going to have to steal games for this team. The slow start doesn't surprise me because I have no confidence in Granato and you have to consider the effect of all the turnover during the offseason. Honestly, this team deserves to be at a .500 record; it accurately displays how they have played this season.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Sorry but that was a classic response!!

Until Cloutier on a consistent basis stops letting in a bad goal a game, Canucks fans should not say anything about Abby... I'll let Avs fans do that!!

Old
11-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Laperriere22*

A couple of other things I want to mention/emphasize.

Tanguay was the best player the Avs had today in what was a rather ugly loss. Hejduk was equally as good. Games like this are what I never saw out of Tanguay in the past. If he continues to play this well, he'll have one less detractor in the near future.

Stephens is really good at holding the puck down low, but does he do anything else? Today was surely more minutes than he usually gets. Unless he gets lucky with some blind passes, he's not going to be effective just holding the puck along the boards all day. He has to do something with it, not just stand there blocking a guy off with his body. I mean that's only a benefit if you can block a guy off long enough to be able to open yourself up to pass or shoot.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:44 AM
Forsberg21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
Honestly, the Avs were lucky to be even in this game. I'm working today, but I was able to listen to the game on the radio. Outside of Tanguay and Hejduk, it doesn't sound as if anybody else had a good game. The PK has been good and bad in stretches and after a good start, Aebischer is playing average (not terrible) hockey. Abby is going to have to steal games for this team. The slow start doesn't surprise me because I have no confidence in Granato and you have to consider the effect of all the turnover during the offseason. Honestly, this team deserves to be at a .500 record; it accurately displays how they have played this season.
Agreed. I wasn't able to watch the game since it wasn't televised but I did listen on the radio and going by that, it seems like we were just outplayed and deserved to lose. Selanne was invisible and even though Sakic had a couple points today, he still seems to be playing poorly. I think he was 3/15 on faceoffs halfway through the 3rd period. This team is repeatedly getting outshot game after game. Sure, they have a lot of new faces and injury problems but that still shouldn't be an excuse to play this poorly. I would think that coaching is part of the problem but really....the players on the ice should also be held accountable. Tangs and Hejduk played well but they need better contributions from other players. .500 IS fair and that's exactly where they should be given their play thus far.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:11 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
if those two had decided to disappear a la Sakic, the Avs would have been routed.
The same Sakic who got a goal today?

:moon:

Old
11-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Foppa_Rules

This is the Avs without Forsberg. Yeesh, injuries are a problem this year. We need Worrell to protect our 6-pack. I wish the Avs could form a system....ANY system, just SOMETHING so they aren't running wild out there.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Foppa_Rules

ONE goal isn't good enough! They didn't win.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:22 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
The same Sakic who got a goal today?
I'll save Lappy the trouble...

'Even though Sakic had a goal and an assist, I prefer to judge a player on his actual play and Sakic wasn't anything special today. He was still making defensive mistakes and has no chemistry with Selanne. Granato is making the mistake of thinking Konowalchuk can play on the second line too. The Avs were lucky to only lose by one goal today, and it's a good thing Forsberg and Kariya didn't play because they wouldn't have helped in any way at all.'

That sounds about right.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Foppa_Rules

Oh, they DEFINETLY wouldn't have helped. I suppose Forsberg would have sat by a watched this happen would he? I think NOT. I don't know if they would have won or not but they would at least have had a better chance.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Avs were lucky to only lose by one goal today, and it's a good thing Forsberg and Kariya didn't play because they wouldn't have helped in any way at all.
Come on now, are we talking about the same Forsberg who leads the league in points, and has been playng his ass off every night. Forsberg would have had a hell of a game in this one I bet, getting at least two points I think. He loves these kinds of games, as he is almost always the difference in close games like that one. He would have taken a lot of punishment, then setup Tanguay for the game winner. As good as Tangs and Hejduk were tonight, do you really think they would have lost if Forsberg was in between them instead of Moore. I doubt it.

Speaking of which, Moore played great the last two games, but I think he proved that he belongs on either the third or fourth line, because he was invisible out there playing with Tanguay and Hejduk, after being everything but invisible the last two games.

Also from what I have seen this year, Sakic (who is usually one of the best faceoff men in the league) has been getting killed on draws, including this one. Won 5, lost 17? That's not Joe Sakic. Just more signs he may be injured.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Foppa_Rules

Injured or getting lazy, one or the other. He seems to be spending too much time watching Forsberg play like superman and Sakic's not concentrating on his own game. It was good he got a goal an an assist finally so he can pass Jim Cummins in goals but we needed more today. 2 goals more. We needed Forsberg.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:03 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
With this years Avs team, I don't think the regular season is going to mean all that much. As long as they make the playoffs they will stand an excellent chance of going all the way. PL will likely pick up another goalie sometime during the season, and the Avs don't need to win 10 conferences in a row. IMO, all 8 teams in the post season are going to be pretty hard to beat, and with a lower seed there won't be the same expectation, and the Avs have tons of skill. Plus they may even have a different coach at that point. It's going to be tough on the fans throughout the season, but they have enough great players in their roster that they could just jell when it matters most.

Closed Thread