HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

laugh all you want

Old
04-24-2006, 11:51 PM
bleedblue94

vCash: 500
laugh all you want

but after this game i have more optmism then after game 1. i really think that the rangers played well tonight with the notable exception of a couple players. in watching the game it seemed the rangers outplayed the devils 5 on 5. betts' line was very good, hossa was actually quite solid (im not a fan of his btw), and the top line seemed to play well together. i really wonder if ozolinsh was not in the lineup how the team would have faired as he is just killing the team whenever hes on the ice, either with poor pinches (as usual) or shooting the puck directly into a pk-er so as it goes out of the zone. i truely think that if they bench him and play the way they did today 5 on 5 they can win both games in ny....at that point rosie and jagr may be ready to come back...im much happier after the game today as opposed to saturday, bc i really saw good things 5 on 5

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Edge

I admit part of me admires some of the optimism on these boards, but I'm ready for a thread when we go down 3 games to 0 and are losing game 7-1.

"I really think we stand a chance" or "You can see the team getting better with every shift, our dynasty begins in 07 baby!"

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 11:59 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I admit part of me admires some of the optimism on these boards, but I'm ready for a thread when we go down 3 games to 0 and are losing game 7-1.

"I really think we stand a chance" or "You can see the team getting better with every shift, our dynasty begins in 07 baby!"
i agree with you and looking to the future...this season was just a tp gap for wen te youth is ready, however after game one i thought we were dead in the water and really had no optimisum coing into this gam...however i am really encouraged by the 5 on 5 play bc we did outplay them

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94
i agree with you and looking to the future...this season was just a tp gap for wen te youth is ready, however after game one i thought we were dead in the water and really had no optimisum coing into this gam...however i am really encouraged by the 5 on 5 play bc we did outplay them
The Rangers destiny is up to them really.

They have to show they want it enough.

Old
04-25-2006, 05:40 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Nj has played to form

They lack offense 5 v 5. By our play we have played into their only strength for offense. We have to crash the net, stack people in the slot. We need to bump peopel like Gomez, Elias & Gionta. NHL history is loaded with teams who have played lousy in the 1st 2 games and comeback to hold service on home ice. Weekes again supplied zero. His 1st reaction was to go straight down, not to slide to his his left on Madden's 1st goal. Watch the replay. He goes straight down in the middle of the net, then attempts to slide left, too late!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
5 on 5, we're certainly the better team. They didn't look too bad last night. A couple of bad bounces and stupid pinches cost them goals.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:31 AM
shoothepuck

Game three at home, will be different. If NY can score the first goal and not take penalties, the last 2 games have shown that NJ can't do much 5 on 5 unless NY gives it away. Credit to the Devils for all the goals they scored, and Marty for the saves he's made, but last night, if you take away two shorthanders and the first pp goal, it's a different game. Kasper, Rucinsky, Jagr and Lundqvist will also make a big impact Wednesday, and sitting Ozo will help.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
NHLisLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94
Both teams scored 1 goal five on fiive so I think to say the Rangers out played the Devs on 5 on 5 is on over-statement. Special teams are what make or break you in the playoffs. The Rangers did play better last night no doubt about that (without Jagr). Maybe there is something to learn from that? Tom Renney hinted that Lundqvist will start Wed because of his great relationship with the fans in the Garden. Is that really a reason to start a guy. Weeks played well and should start the rest of the way.

NHLisLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:38 AM
DutchShamrock

I am hoping we don't get swept. Beyond that it will be gravy. The young guys seem to be playing with alot of heart are playing "playoff" hockey with the intesity and hitting. For a rebuilding team that is all you can ask for.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLisLife
Both teams scored 1 goal five on fiive so I think to say the Rangers out played the Devs on 5 on 5 is on over-statement. Special teams are what make or break you in the playoffs. The Rangers did play better last night no doubt about that (without Jagr). Maybe there is something to learn from that? Tom Renney hinted that Lundqvist will start Wed because of his great relationship with the fans in the Garden. Is that really a reason to start a guy. Weeks played well and should start the rest of the way.
Weekes played just as 'well' as Lundqvist. Made the saves he should've but the ones he shouldn't have. If that makes any sense.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
JimEIV

I'm not here to troll but I am confused by the NJ can't do much 5-5 thing that seems to be a pretty common believe here.

I mean yes you have more shots 5-5 than the Devils, but that has been the Devils M.O. all year. Allow the bad angle/outside and then clear-and-counter.

When the Devils take such a quick lead 1-0 and then 2-0, 5-5 becomes a time to grind out the clock and look to counter attack. We really haven't seen any meaningful 5-5 play in this series when you think about it. By that I mean 5-5 where the game is still scoreless or tied (or even a 1 goal game) and on the line.

There seems to be a thought that Rangers have had the better of it 5-5 but they have only scored 1 goal even-strengthed and it was after 5 periods of play in a game that was already out of hand 3-0 in the 3rd.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
bmoak

I thought in both games, the Rangers looked good in the first two periods and even carried the play for long stretches at even strength. However, in both games thew was a big momentum-swing play late in the 2nd that effectively killed the game for the Rangers.

Game 1: Moore pinball the puck of the post AND Broduer shorthanded. 20 seconds later, the Devils score on Rafalski's seeing-eye point wrister to make it 3-1.

Game 2: On the 5-on-3, Nylander makes a beautiful deflection in front that rings of the post. Shortly afterward, the puck is chipped out of the zone just in ime for Madden coming out of the box to retrieve it for a breakaway goal with 8 seconds left in the period to make it 3-0.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
There seems to be a thought that Rangers have had the better of it 5-5 but they have only scored 1 goal even-strengthed and it was after 5 periods of play in a game that was already out of hand 3-0 in the 3rd.
The goal that was scored last night by Betts to make it 3-1 was also followed by another great opportunity by Betts, 5 on 5, that if he converted (how did he miss?) would have made the score 3-2. I know, shoulda, woulda and coulda but that game was by no means "out of hand" last night as you say.

With that being said, I do think the Devils do go into the rope a dope with the lead, waiting for the other team to make a mistake so they can counter attack and provide more offense. You make a good point by saying the Rangers haven't had the lead yet this series so the Devils haven't had to force the attack 5 on 5. I'm sure we'd see a different Devils team 5 on 5 if they were losing.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:19 AM
dank

we need a lot of "if's" to happen for us to win apparently..

if, no penalties

if, we score first

if, ozo doesn't mess up

if, we play with heart

if, the crowd at home is vibrant..

i mean do not get me wrong.. I am as big of a fan as the rest of you guys.. I went to the Ottawa game, stayed until they kicked me out, yelled some encouraging words to the guys from 3 feet away about "the second season being the only one that matters", etc.. I am going to be there on Weds and Saturday being as loud as possible..

I love these guys... buuut...

With all these injuries.. this losing streak, and playing this streaking NJ team, i find it so hard to keep my head up..

my IF
if we score more goals.. we win..
thats all that matters..

Lets go Blueshirts!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Win Game 3 and the Playoff Avatars really mean something.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Fletch

Jim...

I believe the Devils were a minus this season - which goes to show their ability at 5-o-5. Seems as though either those outside shots are getting in, or the Devils aren't scoring. Granted the second half of the season looks different than the first, but I personally do not have those stats to cite.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I believe the Devils were a minus this season - which goes to show their ability at 5-o-5. Seems as though either those outside shots are getting in, or the Devils aren't scoring. Granted the second half of the season looks different than the first, but I personally do not have those stats to cite.
they were a +4 on the season.

all of the gomez/gionta rush goals were 5 on 5. the rangers looked more dominant at 5 on 5, but the results of both teams were the same. devs have 2 even goals (1 right after penalty expired) rangers have 1.

one team can be as dominant as any team in history and it means nothing unless they score.

rangers must come out with determination and get that first goal. then it is on.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 01:46 PM
BigBully4

Send a message via AIM to BigBully4
Rangers seemed to carry a lot of the play last night in my opinion, and I have to wonder, does the team play better without Jagr in the lineup? I saw the thread dedicated to this, but I know he hasn't missed a game all season, but it seemed like your young guys really played outstanding. Moore, Betts, Hollweg, etc., definitely showed up and seemed to give the Devils fits.

Brodeur was the difference, and will be the difference if the Devs win the series, and Rafalski and Madden played out of their heads. Special teams is winning it right now for New Jersey, and the Rangers haven't gotten their going yet. This is a different series if the Rangers score a couple of power play goals, no question.

But I think the real problem with the Blueshirts is Ozonlish. This guy is brutal.

BigBully4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
I thought in both games, the Rangers looked good in the first two periods and even carried the play for long stretches at even strength. However, in both games thew was a big momentum-swing play late in the 2nd that effectively killed the game for the Rangers.

Game 1: Moore pinball the puck of the post AND Broduer shorthanded. 20 seconds later, the Devils score on Rafalski's seeing-eye point wrister to make it 3-1.

Game 2: On the 5-on-3, Nylander makes a beautiful deflection in front that rings of the post. Shortly afterward, the puck is chipped out of the zone just in ime for Madden coming out of the box to retrieve it for a breakaway goal with 8 seconds left in the period to make it 3-0.
That is something that has hurt all year and one thing I was screaming would haunt them in the playoffs if it continued.

Even when the team was "on" they just keep letting up as the game goes on. How many shutouts did the team take into the third this year? Heck Lundqvist must've had at least 5, I can think of Weekes with one or two.

The Rangers struggles right now should be a surprise to no one who watched this team. What is hurting them are things that have been a weak worry spots all season long. Bad penalties, letting up later in games, etc.

All of these things showed serious signs before, but there were a lot of people who simply did not want to hear it. The playoffs only get harder and magnify potential flaws, they don't hide them. There is no mystery as to what is wrong and what needs to worked on, it's the same stuff that was shakey in October.

Old
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
we need a lot of "if's" to happen for us to win apparently..

if, no penalties

if, we score first

if, ozo doesn't mess up

if, we play with heart

if, the crowd at home is vibrant..

i mean do not get me wrong.. I am as big of a fan as the rest of you guys.. I went to the Ottawa game, stayed until they kicked me out, yelled some encouraging words to the guys from 3 feet away about "the second season being the only one that matters", etc.. I am going to be there on Weds and Saturday being as loud as possible..

I love these guys... buuut...

With all these injuries.. this losing streak, and playing this streaking NJ team, i find it so hard to keep my head up..

my IF
if we score more goals.. we win..
thats all that matters..

Lets go Blueshirts!
You left out if the Devils are all hospitalized for the rest of the playoffs.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nni
they were a +4 on the season.

all of the gomez/gionta rush goals were 5 on 5. the rangers looked more dominant at 5 on 5, but the results of both teams were the same. devs have 2 even goals (1 right after penalty expired) rangers have 1.

one team can be as dominant as any team in history and it means nothing unless they score.

rangers must come out with determination and get that first goal. then it is on.
Nope then were minus 2.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 07:30 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
The Rangers destiny is up to them really.

They have to show they want it enough.
Desire and drive will get you so far against a team with superior skill.

BobMarleyNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:

LMAO...very funny but true. Our team will be heard from!

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote