HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else think we play better without 68???

Old
04-25-2006, 02:19 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Anyone else think we play better without 68???

Because I do. I've toyed with this idea during most of our low points this year. Maybe it is because we were playing too much to what Jagr did, and not smart hockey. We had alot of energy tonight, and I think that can be attributed to us not being slowed down by Jagr/looking for Jagr (even though Hollweg-Betts-_______ line was our best, Betts has a nasty shot). I say we give Jags allllllllll the time he needs to rest. Who's with me!!! (Be gentle )

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Nice post. I agree that if he can get those extra couple of days of rest and the Rangers won, that would be awesome.

But still, our team isn't finishing with any regularity. And I hear that Jagr guy can help in that department. Even if he's only 50 percent.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 02:30 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Nice post. I agree that if he can get those extra couple of days of rest and the Rangers won, that would be awesome.

But still, our team isn't finishing with any regularity. And I hear that Jagr guy can help in that department. Even if he's only 50 percent.
True. I didn't mean to discredit Jagr at all, the man's the best in the world. A 50 percent Jagr is better than most players. But the type of guys we have, the energy they bring, is kinda of the opposite of Jagr, who likes to slow the game down to his speed. Jagr ripples down the lineup, whether he's dressed or not. If he's in, we are playing with the best player in the world, but the other players are playing more to him, and he's been successfully shadowed as of late. If he's not in, we can get more energy but lack that proven scoring touch... I'd try anything right now, and I say sit him at least one more game.

Old
04-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
True. I didn't mean to discredit Jagr at all, the man's the best in the world. A 50 percent Jagr is better than most players. But the type of guys we have, the energy they bring, is kinda of the opposite of Jagr, who likes to slow the game down to his speed. Jagr ripples down the lineup, whether he's dressed or not. If he's in, we are playing with the best player in the world, but the other players are playing more to him, and he's been successfully shadowed as of late. If he's not in, we can get more energy but lack that proven scoring touch... I'd try anything right now, and I say sit him at least one more game.

I hear what you're saying. I agree. Our team played with great energy tonight. My favorite aspect was seeing Hollweg excell with Betts and Ort. They showed a lot of confidence. I loved it!

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 02:45 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
If Jagr was in the line up we would have scored on that 5 on 3 instead of letting up a goal.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 03:02 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
If Jagr was in the line up we would have scored on that 5 on 3 instead of letting up a goal.
If Ozo wasn't on this team, he would'nt have scored that for Madden, and he wouldn't have been caught pinching for the first Madden goal.

Old
04-25-2006, 08:37 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
I still think that the team plays better with Jagr, but I see where you are coming from. The way I see it, Jagr out of the lineup was like a shot to the team, a wakeup telling everyone they should be more responsible in both ends.

Since Jagr was out, the forwards playing times' seem to be more balanced. Ortmeyer & co. got more icetime and they excelled. So for me, I would like Renney to dress Jagr and not feel compelled to play him 30 mins a game. I think a more even attack may be just what the doctor ordered.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Nich

i just think generally over the last 3 weeks of the season renney has been trying to hard and trying to get jagr as much time as possible. all i think that does is diminish our defensive play, and play as a team.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Fletch

The scoreboard still read...

4-1. Fact is, as 'hard' as they play, they still cannot score. They still cannot get the quality shots from in close because these forwards just aren't strong enough to muscle their way through. They skated hard. They tried hard. And like I said, in the end, they scored one goal. 7 power plays, no goals. One even strength goal. Sorry, this team needs Jagr's scoring. Period.

Nich - if you look at the last few losses - Jagr was getting more than 25 minutes of ice time. Go back a few games, and it was the same. And I agree - it's tough to get a 'team' in a flow when one guy is double-shifted and plays on three lines. That's not the way to go about building a 'team'.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Nich - if you look at the last few losses - Jagr was getting more than 25 minutes of ice time. Go back a few games, and it was the same. And I agree - it's tough to get a 'team' in a flow when one guy is double-shifted and plays on three lines. That's not the way to go about building a 'team'.

agreed

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:03 AM
jerseydevil

The Rangers do play a much better team game without Jagr...but, they become a team that lacks all big play ability..The 5 on 3 is a perfect example..A full two minutes and they only generated one or two real good scoring chances..Any time Blair Betts is your major offensive threat, you know you're in trouble.

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
If Ozo wasn't on this team, he would'nt have scored that for Madden, and he wouldn't have been caught pinching for the first Madden goal.
Everyone is quick to criticize Ozo; and I agree it was a bonehead play and very unfortunate for us but at the same time did anyone notice Weekes on the play go down way to early, not challenge, not come out and aggress Madden what so ever? That puck should have never reached the goal line in the first place period.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:16 AM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
It's Bill Simmons's "Patrick Ewing Theory" in work. Basically, if you don't know, a friend of Simmons noted that both the Knicks and the Hoyas played better when Ewing was down for a few games than they did with them. Simmons got to see his theory in practice when Ewing went down against Indiana in the strike year, and sure enough, the Knicks made the finals. There are a billion examples of it (of course, there are also examples of a team being sunk when their star goes).

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Fletch

Weekes made the stop...

had Ozo not put the puck into his own net, Weekes stood a chance to keep it out of the net as the period winded down. The only facts are the puck stopped on the line, and Ozo hit it into his goal. Weekes could've done this and that, and there may've been a different outcome - like Madden making a nice move and scoring it clean - but that didn't happen.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:37 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Did the Rangers play better last night without Jagr? Yes. Does each individual player play better in general when Jagr is out? Perhaps. Does the team play better without Jagr? Not at all.

I think last night's effort had a lot more to do with the Rangers coming out and playing hard after a loss than it did Jagr being out. Still wasn't enough and it was obvious to me that the team lacked a certain something. Maybe it was the confidence that they had a weapon the Devils do not. Maybe it was the quarterbacking Jagr does on the power play. Maybe it was the respect that Jagr forces on the other team. Overall, they were better than game one, but they would have been better still with Jagr in the lineup.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 09:49 AM
The New Originals

I'm not sure if "better" is the right word to use. They worked harder and actually played with some passion, but Jagr's presence felt more important than ever before now that he wasn't there.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:22 AM
dank

All we need is a win tomorrow w/o Jagr, and then Saturday Jaromir "Willis Reed" Jagr will give us all the drama and skill we need to win the rest of the way..!

( I can dream, can't I?)

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
GUYMAN

Play Better Without Jarg?

Yeah, we might play better without him in some ways. But you have to score to win hockey games. We have one finisher on this team - his initials are J.J.

GUYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUYMAN
Yeah, we might play better without him in some ways. But you have to score to win hockey games. We have one finisher on this team - his initials are J.J.
You forgot about the one whos initials are P.P. that sounds suspicous though

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:14 AM
DarthSather99

All the ranger players are MUCH more involved in the offense than when Jagr is in the lineup. It's like they defer all offensive creativity to him.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I was very impressed with Sykora he played a good game, he looked good on the PP and the 5 on 3 (kinda Jagrish) but they didn't get it done. Of course Jagr in the line up in game 3, Hungry as hell we all know what he can do he can dominate a game and if he is healthy enough and determined enough NJ dosn't have a shot.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:29 AM
HockeyCritter

The one thing Ive noticed about Jagr-lead teams the other players on his team wait around for him to do something because he can be a game-breaker when hes not in the lineup it seems that the rest of the team remembers they too can create scoring chances and score goals.

Just an observation after watching the man play for ten plus years.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Solution: Make Jagr go without line mates, and keep the other lines together, They cant focus on dishing it to him if he is the only one out there, and **** we all know he can mess people up 1 vs. 3 . But really, if he isn't on your line you shouldnt worry about him, thats what I dont get, Lines 2-4 shouldn't be hoping for Jagr to do something, they should do it on there own.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 12:14 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
All the ranger players are MUCH more involved in the offense than when Jagr is in the lineup. It's like they defer all offensive creativity to him.
Exactly the way I see it. Now, if Jagr is in, but doesn't play 30 min like dakose said, I'd be fine.

Old
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDragFan
Solution: Make Jagr go without line mates, and keep the other lines together, They cant focus on dishing it to him if he is the only one out there, and **** we all know he can mess people up 1 vs. 3 . But really, if he isn't on your line you shouldnt worry about him, thats what I dont get, Lines 2-4 shouldn't be hoping for Jagr to do something, they should do it on there own.
Yea, but they get diminished ice time, the lower lines do. You see the energy and flow Betts and Hollweg got going last night? That was sick.