HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Strategy - The Long Pass

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2006, 03:51 AM
  #1
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Habs Strategy - The Long Pass

I've noticed that Montreal is utilizing the long pass more than I've seen them all season. That Bulis goal was a classic example and they've tried it a few times in game one. The strategy for Bob Gainey is to take advantage of the pinching Carolina D. Carolina is structured around the attack. They are an attacking team and that includes the D pinching regularly. The Canes rely on speed and offensive attack. The Habs, I believe, can and have matched the Canes speed thus far. The difference is Montreal has better D and goaltending. That's the bottom line.

I have also noticed the Canes D are easy to outmuscle in their end. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much our Habs forwards were able to win the battles along the boards with the Canes D only to create exceptional scoring chances.

So far, our shooters are better than the Canes. The goals the Habs score, for the most part, are seeing eye shots or shots from the slot. Really, Gerber didn';t have a chance on some of those goals, especially the Bulis breakaway. Yes, Carolina thnks they are fast, but they can't catch Bulis when he's got a stride or two on you.

I'm looking for a Habs win in game 3. Habs will be pumped. Stay out of the box and game 2 was a no-brainer win.

And, hey ref....how's about giving the Habs a couple of 5 on 3 PP's next game for a change


Last edited by LesHabsRock: 04-25-2006 at 04:00 AM.
LesHabsRock is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 03:55 AM
  #2
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,936
vCash: 500
Good analysis (sp?), can't wait for game 3.

Taupy is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 04:40 AM
  #3
Sthabs
Registered User
 
Sthabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
yea i like that long pass
yea u have no idea (well i guess u do a lil bit) how it feels to finally see those guys comin out strong and fast out of their zone and not dumping the puck every 2 plays...

Sthabs is online now  
Old
04-25-2006, 04:46 AM
  #4
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock
I have also noticed the Canes D are easy to outmuscle in their end.
It`s sad that most Habs forward don`t have any muscles, then. Because then we would completly dominate them.

Seriously Carolina`s defense has seemed shaky and weak at times; I wish our forwards would do a more agressive forecheck and press them with good grinding in their zone.

Kimota is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 08:40 AM
  #5
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
I think Perez/Pleks/Zed have done an excellenet job of using their quickness on the forecheck. I believe it's more about skating than strength, particularly against the Canes. You can out quick guys like Ward more than out muscle. If the stretch pass used wisely keeps their D from pinching, that solves a big problem.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
  #6
psychonaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I think Perez/Pleks/Zed have done an excellenet job of using their quickness on the forecheck. I believe it's more about skating than strength, particularly against the Canes. You can out quick guys like Ward more than out muscle. If the stretch pass used wisely keeps their D from pinching, that solves a big problem.

I think alot of it is Perez/Pleks/Zed are 3rd line is playing better then theres, whice help us alot. Right now its one of my fevorite lines out there. Cant wait too see Begin back in the line up, then the 4th would be quite a hand full, even thoo they are doing pretty good as is!

psychonaut is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 09:36 AM
  #7
Nyclaus
Registered User
 
Nyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Good Vibes!
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If the stretch pass used wisely keeps their D from pinching, that solves a big problem.
Good point

Nyclaus is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 02:40 PM
  #8
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I think Perez/Pleks/Zed have done an excellenet job of using their quickness on the forecheck. I believe it's more about skating than strength, particularly against the Canes. You can out quick guys like Ward more than out muscle. If the stretch pass used wisely keeps their D from pinching, that solves a big problem.
Exactly. If we attempt the long pass (even if it isn't successful) it will at least keep the Canes D thinking.

LesHabsRock is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
  #9
rtxHABSFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock
I've noticed that Montreal is utilizing the long pass more than I've seen them all season. That Bulis goal was a classic example and they've tried it a few times in game one. The strategy for Bob Gainey is to take advantage of the pinching Carolina D. Carolina is structured around the attack. They are an attacking team and that includes the D pinching regularly. The Canes rely on speed and offensive attack. The Habs, I believe, can and have matched the Canes speed thus far. The difference is Montreal has better D and goaltending. That's the bottom line.

I have also noticed the Canes D are easy to outmuscle in their end. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much our Habs forwards were able to win the battles along the boards with the Canes D only to create exceptional scoring chances.
Good observation! And BOB GAINEY & Carboneau...
One question, what if, i said WHAT IF, habs made it to the final and wins the cup. Will Bob Gainey still resigned as head coach???

rtxHABSFAN is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
  #10
5 man unit
Registered User
 
5 man unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
yes

5 man unit is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
  #11
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtxHABSFAN
Good observation! And BOB GAINEY & Carboneau...
One question, what if, i said WHAT IF, habs made it to the final and wins the cup. Will Bob Gainey still resigned as head coach???
Yes, I believe he will. Carbonneau has a lot to do with some of the strategies the habs are using right now. Carbs and Jarvs will do the job fine next year. Also, note the Habs as a team have been winning the faceoff battles with Carolina. In game one they won 53% of the faceoffs. Carbonneau has a lot to do with that. He was a great faceoff man in his years.

LesHabsRock is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
  #12
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,214
vCash: 500
Habs 52% faceoff success in Game 2. Koivu (59%) was 9-in-17 against Brind'Amour, a not-inconsiderable achievement. More surprising perhaps was Ribeiro -- 54% and 5-of-8 against Brindy -- but Bonk had an off night.

MathMan is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
  #13
Matrix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Anybody who thought that removing the red line was not a good idea was way off. For me, I would have removed that line only to stop having those referees calling offside because you have one foot on the other side.

And now you can't have those long passes that make the game much better. Having a bigger surface, that's no use, but removing that line was a great idea!!!!

Matrix is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 09:19 PM
  #14
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
Habs 52% faceoff success in Game 2. Koivu (59%) was 9-in-17 against Brind'Amour, a not-inconsiderable achievement. More surprising perhaps was Ribeiro -- 54% and 5-of-8 against Brindy -- but Bonk had an off night.
That's right. Brind'amour maybe the Canes' faceoff ace, but we've matched him and beaten him in that category. Everything the Canes' have done well all year, the Habs have nullified or done better thus far. A big part of any teams possession game is the ability to win faceoffs which the Canes did all year and if you win the faceoff battle against them you take a big part of that possession game away from them. Also, keep in mind the Habs depth has been far superior to the Hurricanes which is a surprise. Our 3rd and 4rth line guys have really stepped it up. Guys like Bonk, Plekanec, Zednik, Perezhogin, and Murray. Heck, even Sundstrom has found another gear we've never seen before.

LesHabsRock is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.