HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Tim Graham on Dumont's resurgence

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2003, 05:46 AM
  #1
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,971
vCash: 500
Awards:
Tim Graham on Dumont's resurgence

Line change adds spark to Dumont


<i>..."I feel awesome out there. I don't know what to say. I just want to keep going the same way."

Dumont has gone from skating on the left wing with Miroslav Satan and Daniel Briere to playing the right side with three pluggers the Sabres had earmarked for Rochester in training camp: Jason Botterill, Chris Taylor and Domenic Pittis, who has since been sent back down.

The results, nevertheless, have been positive for Dumont. He now is the Sabres' second-leading scorer behind Chris Drury.

"I feel really good out there, but when the team's doing good it's really easy to play well," Dumont said....

..."It was a situation," Botterill said, "where he could have been really grumpy, really surly and sulking about getting knocked off the top two lines and off the power play. But instead he's turned it right around. You look at him on penalty killing, he's flying out there." </i>

Good to see him and Ruff and his 'mates saying all the right things.


And Graham's Sabres Notebook Tallinder may play, no mention of Max, and nothing new on the "C". Also a bit on Varada's first real game against his former 'mates.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 06:09 AM
  #2
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Line change adds spark to Dumont


<i>..."I feel awesome out there. I don't know what to say. I just want to keep going the same way."

Dumont has gone from skating on the left wing with Miroslav Satan and Daniel Briere to playing the right side with three pluggers the Sabres had earmarked for Rochester in training camp: Jason Botterill, Chris Taylor and Domenic Pittis, who has since been sent back down.

The results, nevertheless, have been positive for Dumont. He now is the Sabres' second-leading scorer behind Chris Drury.

"I feel really good out there, but when the team's doing good it's really easy to play well," Dumont said....

..."It was a situation," Botterill said, "where he could have been really grumpy, really surly and sulking about getting knocked off the top two lines and off the power play. But instead he's turned it right around. You look at him on penalty killing, he's flying out there." </i>

Good to see him and Ruff and his 'mates saying all the right things.


And Graham's Sabres Notebook Tallinder may play, no mention of Max, and nothing new on the "C". Also a bit on Varada's first real game against his former 'mates.
Dumont is playing with a ton of confidence and it is very easy to notice. I'm happy for him and I hope he keeps it up and doesn't get down when times get hard. He's capable of producing well here, so lets see what he can do.

 
Old
11-01-2003, 06:21 AM
  #3
lecherous
Registered User
 
lecherous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
He also seems to have just realized that he's 6'2/205 (or whatever he is). Up until near the end of last season, I always thought he was like 5'10/180 or something because he never played like it. It's really nice to see him throwing his weight around alot more.

lecherous is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:33 AM
  #4
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
That line was the reason for Alexei's goal against Toronto. Botterill's hard forecheck, Dumont little tip pass to Zhitnik in the high slot. I like that line and I'm interested in seeing where Hecht ends up when he comes back because the chemistry I'm seeing right now can't be broken on any line.

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 03:59 AM
  #5
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
That line was the reason for Alexei's goal against Toronto. Botterill's hard forecheck, Dumont little tip pass to Zhitnik in the high slot. I like that line and I'm interested in seeing where Hecht ends up when he comes back because the chemistry I'm seeing right now can't be broken on any line.
I think Hecht could step into Botterill's spot on the 3rd line and that group wouldn't miss a beat.

The bigger question would be what happens if Connolly and Hecht come back at the same time? I like the way Taylor has been playing on the 3rd line and think sending him down in favor of Connolly would create some issues as far as chemistry goes on that 3rd line.

But we shall see how it all shakes out.......

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-03-2003, 05:03 AM
  #6
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I think Taylor's dependibility is going to make him tough for Ruff to want to get rid of.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...03/1052673.asp

Speaking of that.....

Taylor, however, will be spared awhile longer.

Connolly could be on the shelf for some time because no one knows how soon he will get over his concussion. Ruff more than ever has emphasized physical play from his forwards, and Connolly wasn't exactly one to sacrifice his body before suffering his head injury.

Ruff is anxious to see how Connolly responds once he is cleared to play.

"I think this is a whole learning process here where Tim's watching games from upstairs, where you can see a lot more of what it takes to win now," Ruff said. "I've mentioned the dirty work, the physical play, the getting on the inside. You gotta get dirty in today's game to score goals."

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-03-2003, 06:05 AM
  #7
djhn579
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
[url]Connolly could be on the shelf for some time because no one knows how soon he will get over his concussion. Ruff more than ever has emphasized physical play from his forwards, and Connolly wasn't exactly one to sacrifice his body before suffering his head injury.

Ruff is anxious to see how Connolly responds once he is cleared to play.

"I think this is a whole learning process here where Tim's watching games from upstairs, where you can see a lot more of what it takes to win now," Ruff said. "I've mentioned the dirty work, the physical play, the getting on the inside. You gotta get dirty in today's game to score goals." [/I]
Did anyone else notice in Bucky's column that the Sabres have been shopping Connolly?

Looking back, the Sabres goofed when they protected concussed center Tim Connolly over Steve Begin for the waiver draft. Buffalo has been shopping Connolly with no takers. No matter, the Sabres are better with worker-bee skilled Chris Taylor, whom Ruff made a point to praise last week.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...02/1051835.asp

djhn579 is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 06:29 AM
  #8
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
I think that was more of a case of Regier throwing something out there to see if Lowe would bite.

Teams throw guys names out there all the time knowing that they won't get the guy they are talking about because it's a low ball offer.

I'd be more interested if I heard that Connolly was being offered up in a more realistic deal like say Connolly for Chimera.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-03-2003, 10:27 AM
  #9
Ghost of Dale Hunter
Registered User
 
Ghost of Dale Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
My guess is that Connolly gets time at the expense of Boulton, Peters and Max unless an injury gets him further into the mix. Believe it or not I dont see Taylor going back down unless his play really falls off.

I'd say he gets about 5 game audition and if he doesnt perform they may just cut the cord.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
  #10
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,971
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I was thinking Boulton might be the one that gets waived when all is said and done.
Having cleared the waiver draft, he's eligible to be sent down if they so choose.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 06:09 PM
  #11
buffalowing
Registered User
 
buffalowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to buffalowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
Did anyone else notice in Bucky's column that the Sabres have been shopping Connolly?

Looking back, the Sabres goofed when they protected concussed center Tim Connolly over Steve Begin for the waiver draft. Buffalo has been shopping Connolly with no takers. No matter, the Sabres are better with worker-bee skilled Chris Taylor, whom Ruff made a point to praise last week.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...02/1051835.asp
I hate Bucky Gleason, If the Sabres can get Briere for Gratton, I'm sure if needed we could get rid of Connolly. I still think he would of been selected in the waiver draft.

buffalowing is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 02:00 AM
  #12
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing
I hate Bucky Gleason, If the Sabres can get Briere for Gratton, I'm sure if needed we could get rid of Connolly. I still think he would of been selected in the waiver draft.
I think this is a case of Regier asking for too much.

He didn't say that they couldn't move Connolly. Just that they've been shopping him around and nobody has been willing to give up what Regier wants for him.

The same thing can be said of a guy like Comrie. Lowe could move him in a heartbeat if he just wanted to make a move. The same thing applies with Connolly.

But Regier wants solid return on his investment. He's not going to move Connolly for a bag of pucks.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 04:22 AM
  #13
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,971
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I think this is a case of Regier asking for too much.

He didn't say that they couldn't move Connolly. Just that they've been shopping him around and nobody has been willing to give up what Regier wants for him.

The same thing can be said of a guy like Comrie. Lowe could move him in a heartbeat if he just wanted to make a move. The same thing applies with Connolly.

But Regier wants solid return on his investment. He's not going to move Connolly for a bag of pucks.
As he should. Letting 21 year old, former multi-40 point players walk away for nothing is lousy personnel management. Regier didn't get his job, nor has he kept his job by being poor at asset management. Loosing Begin and Bouchard cost depth that could be useful. Signing off on Connolly at the waiver draft would've been a blunder beyond what Dudley did with his goaltending gaff.

I think Regier is holding out for what he considers fair value. Since the team is playing well, he can wait---and if his track record in this is any indication he should get more than people are expecting (but perhaps <i>not</i> what they the fans want).

Chainshot is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 04:52 AM
  #14
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
As he should. Letting 21 year old, former multi-40 point players walk away for nothing is lousy personnel management. Regier didn't get his job, nor has he kept his job by being poor at asset management. Loosing Begin and Bouchard cost depth that could be useful. Signing off on Connolly at the waiver draft would've been a blunder beyond what Dudley did with his goaltending gaff.

I think Regier is holding out for what he considers fair value. Since the team is playing well, he can wait---and if his track record in this is any indication he should get more than people are expecting (but perhaps <i>not</i> what they the fans want).
Absolutely.

Holding onto Gratton as long as he did allowed him to get Briere.

Holding onto to Peca as long as he did got Pyatt added to Connolly from what I've read.

And I'm sure he got other offers for Varada, but he held out for a player that at best is a 1st rounder that turns into a top 2 line player and at worst isn't signed this summer and turns into a 2nd round pick.

I'd be a lot more upset if Regier moved Connolly or Afinogenov just to move them and he got the ole used puck bag in return.

It's OK to move guys like Woolley and Ray in deals like that, but not younger players with some upside potential left.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 07:02 PM
  #15
buffalowing
Registered User
 
buffalowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to buffalowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I think this is a case of Regier asking for too much.

He didn't say that they couldn't move Connolly. Just that they've been shopping him around and nobody has been willing to give up what Regier wants for him.

The same thing can be said of a guy like Comrie. Lowe could move him in a heartbeat if he just wanted to make a move. The same thing applies with Connolly.

But Regier wants solid return on his investment. He's not going to move Connolly for a bag of pucks.
As said by Bucky Gleason......

Looking back, the Sabres goofed when they protected concussed center Tim Connolly over Steve Begin for the waiver draft. Buffalo has been shopping Connolly with no takers. No matter, the Sabres are better with worker-bee skilled Chris Taylor, whom Ruff made a point to praise last week.

buffalowing is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 09:24 PM
  #16
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Absolutely.

Holding onto Gratton as long as he did allowed him to get Briere.

Holding onto to Peca as long as he did got Pyatt added to Connolly from what I've read.

And I'm sure he got other offers for Varada, but he held out for a player that at best is a 1st rounder that turns into a top 2 line player and at worst isn't signed this summer and turns into a 2nd round pick.

I'd be a lot more upset if Regier moved Connolly or Afinogenov just to move them and he got the ole used puck bag in return.

It's OK to move guys like Woolley and Ray in deals like that, but not younger players with some upside potential left.
There isn't much room on the team for Connolly and Afinogenov anymore. I think they should be moved for what the team needs. Tim and Max are not checking line or goon line players. and the are not going to get the chance to to be 1st or 2nd liners in Buffalo. They both probably will be good to very good players but they fell out of the plan in Buffalo.
Players have stepped up and the team is gaining identity. Max and Tim arent part of that identity. Biron has stepped up and Miller has shown he is capable (he's showing he doesnt belong in the AHL), making Noronen the odd man out. We are carrying 8 defensemen, making 1 if not 2 of them expendable. Regier has a lot of assets at his disposal to make atleast one trade to improve the team early. He should use his assets to get a Tough physical right sided defensemen and possibly and veteran 3rd line grinder.

Jame is online now  
Old
11-05-2003, 02:16 AM
  #17
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing
As said by Bucky Gleason......

Looking back, the Sabres goofed when they protected concussed center Tim Connolly over Steve Begin for the waiver draft. Buffalo has been shopping Connolly with no takers. No matter, the Sabres are better with worker-bee skilled Chris Taylor, whom Ruff made a point to praise last week.
There is one major flaw in the Bucksters theory:

The waiver draft happened about a week before Connolly got the concussion. I have a feeling that Connolly's being injured is playing a huge role in Regier's inability to get anything for him right now.

If Gleason believes that Connolly would have cleared waivers, then he isn't living in reality.

I still think that once Connolly is healthy that Regier will be able to move him for a player that is better than Begin.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-05-2003, 02:18 AM
  #18
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
He should use his assets to get a Tough physical right sided defensemen and possibly and veteran 3rd line grinder.
That would be nice.

But, to add those types of players for what Regier has to offer he'd likely have to add payroll and nobody knows if Golisano is willing to do that right now.

Plus, Connolly is untradable as long as he's out with a concussion.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-05-2003, 04:19 AM
  #19
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
I think Connolly is untradable until he comes back and looks like he is getting better and can take some hits.

But, a team will likely be more willing to take Connolly on each dollar of salary that the Sabres will be willing to take back in a deal.

But that all goes back to how willing will TG be to take on salary..........

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-05-2003, 04:27 AM
  #20
LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of Alberta
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
And what has happened with Pyatt might happen with Connolly. Then we are a playoff team who has two rising stars that are 22.

Connolly hasn't played a minute this year.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 04:50 AM
  #21
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Connolly and Pyatt are two completely different players though.

I'd compare Connolly more to Afinogenov and we see how well he's done this year.

Not every player improves with age. And Max is the latest example here.

Plus, Connolly wasn't looking all that great in training camp and the pre-season before the concussion. If he had, then I'd have a little more hope for his future development than I have right now.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-05-2003, 08:38 AM
  #22
LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of Alberta
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
It depends on the deal.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 11:53 AM
  #23
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Of course it does...you can't trade him just to trade him. I don't believe he is some sort of locker room cancer so a deal isn't a must unless Regier likes the return. For Tim's sake I hope he can get back out on the ice soon and fight for some icetime. The more guys playing hard the more options Lindy has and that should translate into more wins.
Let's say that within the next two weeks Connolly and Hecht are back. Where do they go in the line up? I don't want to see players like Taylor get sent down to Rochester because Timmahs got potential. Moves are going to ahve to be made whther the Sabres get a good deal or not. Id rather management sood up and said "these are the guys that got this team going. they have chemistry, and ahve gained an identity for the first time in two years as a team.

Connolly could be a cancer in the locker room when guys see that hard work and good work gets you sent back to the minors (i.e. Taylor, Botteril, or Peters) while no work gets you a spot on the roster (Connolly). How can you justify Connolly even getting a crack at the line up right now. He didn't impress in training camp, had a forgettable pre-season. and has yet done anything to really solidify himself as a player. I think on another team Connolly will get the time he needs to become a player. Unfortyunately the Sabres just have the time or space for that to happen here. If the Sabres could get a decent role player/RD/3rd liner for him id be happy as hell. Id be happy with a decent pick or prosepct too.

Jame is online now  
Old
11-06-2003, 01:57 AM
  #24
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Coming off the concussion I'm not sure you'd get anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for Connolly unless ownership was willing to take on salary.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
11-06-2003, 03:12 AM
  #25
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
I'll give Delmore a little more time though.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were back in the line up this weekend.

Plus, the Sabres had an extra 3rd from the Gratton-Briere deal. You could look at it like Gratton and a 4th for Briere and Delmore.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.