HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Graham on Dumont's resurgence

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 05:57 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Let's say that within the next two weeks Connolly and Hecht are back. Where do they go in the line up? I don't want to see players like Taylor get sent down to Rochester because Timmahs got potential. Moves are going to ahve to be made whther the Sabres get a good deal or not. Id rather management sood up and said "these are the guys that got this team going. they have chemistry, and ahve gained an identity for the first time in two years as a team.

Connolly could be a cancer in the locker room when guys see that hard work and good work gets you sent back to the minors (i.e. Taylor, Botteril, or Peters) while no work gets you a spot on the roster (Connolly). How can you justify Connolly even getting a crack at the line up right now. He didn't impress in training camp, had a forgettable pre-season. and has yet done anything to really solidify himself as a player. I think on another team Connolly will get the time he needs to become a player. Unfortyunately the Sabres just have the time or space for that to happen here. If the Sabres could get a decent role player/RD/3rd liner for him id be happy as hell. Id be happy with a decent pick or prosepct too.
We are a .500 team right now. That is not good enough to make the playoffs.

And after management stands up, which teams do Connolly and Hecht go, because they won't clear waivers.

As for training camp and preseason, better waive Afinogenov and bring up Milley. Connolly had as many points as Pyatt did, in fewer games in the preseason. Hecht had 1 point in 5 games in the preseason.

A role player for Connolly? That is one of those shortsighted moves confining us to mediocrity for years. He has not played one game as a 22 year old in the NHL regular season yet. Note Pyatt's improvement from a 21 year old to a 22 year old.

Remember Rico Fata. Bertuzzi. Naslund. Satan. Sullivan. Briere.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Remember Rico Fata. Bertuzzi. Naslund. Satan. Sullivan. Briere.
I also remember Pavel Brendl, Daniel Tkaczuk, Alexandre Volchkov, Erik Rasmussen, Chad Kilger, Steve Kelly, and Jason Bonsignore.........

Old
11-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Let's say that within the next two weeks Connolly and Hecht are back. Where do they go in the line up? I don't want to see players like Taylor get sent down to Rochester because Timmahs got potential. Moves are going to ahve to be made whther the Sabres get a good deal or not. Id rather management sood up and said "these are the guys that got this team going. they have chemistry, and ahve gained an identity for the first time in two years as a team.

Connolly could be a cancer in the locker room when guys see that hard work and good work gets you sent back to the minors (i.e. Taylor, Botteril, or Peters) while no work gets you a spot on the roster (Connolly). How can you justify Connolly even getting a crack at the line up right now. He didn't impress in training camp, had a forgettable pre-season. and has yet done anything to really solidify himself as a player. I think on another team Connolly will get the time he needs to become a player. Unfortyunately the Sabres just have the time or space for that to happen here. If the Sabres could get a decent role player/RD/3rd liner for him id be happy as hell. Id be happy with a decent pick or prosepct too.
So if Connolly is so easily discarded, then Buffalo wastes a talent, even if that is only a "potential" talent. Tim will have to earn his icetime just like everyone else. For the first time in his career he has to come back from injury <i>and</i> compete for icetime---this could actually be a good thing for his development since he now has work hard <i>and</i> use his talent in order to succeed. As well, when (if) he returns again Buffalo is graced with a small amount of NHL depth that promotes competition and gives Ruff more flexibility with regard to benching someone for a bad game. Those are motivational aspects he's rarely had in his 7 years behind the bench. If Ruff chooses to play someone without them backing it up with any sort of effort, that decision is on Ruff's head.

As for Hecht, of course he goes back into the lineup. No offense to Peters and Boulton, nor even to Taylor or Botterill, but he's a workmanlike 40 point player at worst who has sparked the team's play when he's been healthy. And again, his presence gives Ruff the ability to put the undeserving back up in the pressbox. The easist move right now is to send Boulton back down, IMO. He cleared via the waiver draft and the only downside is his one-way deal.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Pyatt-Drury-Briere
Kotalik-Brown-Satan
Hecht-Taylor-Dumont
Mair-Connolly-Afinogenov

Zhitnik-Fitzpatrick
Mckee-Kalinin
Campbell-Patrick

Biron-Noronen

scratched- Peters, Tallinder, Delmore

minors- Botteril, Boulton

I guess that works.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:11 AM
RattledSABRE

Dumont has been a force out there lately and I love watching him play like a wrecking crew every shift.The one part of his game that didn't measure up was his physical play but now that he has taken the onus on himself to stir things up he can only get better.I personally thought it was a bad idea to have him playing with Taylor and Botterill but once seeing them play together it somehow worked.Hecht come come back and fill Botterill's spot and make the line a little better offensively.It may be a short time thing,who knows,worst comes to worst they could always reform the Hecht-Briere-Dumont line.You gotta like the fire Dumont is playing with,maybe he could pass the lighter on to a few other guys (Satan,Max),not mentioning any names though.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:19 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
I also remember Pavel Brendl, Daniel Tkaczuk, Alexandre Volchkov, Erik Rasmussen, Chad Kilger, Steve Kelly, and Jason Bonsignore.........
1996 was simply a weak draft. Rasmussen is 18th in career points from the 1996 draft. He's still produced as a 1st rounder should have in that draft year.

Kilger is a weird case, who never got a full year in any place, either due to demotion or trade or injury. Not an ideal way to develop.

Tkachuk looks like a bust, but Paul Mara (same class) has suddenly exploded this year.

Brendl's always been a headcase. Connolly's not a headcase. Even so, Brendl may still develop.

Bonsignore and Kelly? Good bye Barry Fraser. Point taken.

Volchkov. Point taken.

None of these was ever among the leaders in their class, except for Rasmussen. Connolly is. These are growing pains. If Connolly has a modest 10% offensive increase over his best season to date, he's a 50 pt. player. And as Pyatt is showing, improvement can be very dramatic.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:51 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

There was also a time when Alexandre Daigle was a leader in NHL production amongst his draft class as well.

It is far from a certainty that Connolly will ever develop into a solid top 2 line offensive center in the NHL. Plus, Connolly was a part of a pretty underachieving draft class. So I'm not too excited about his being amongst the point leaders from his draft year.

And with this team's focus on making the playoffs this season I think Afinogenov and Connolly are the two prime candidates for getting shipped out of town in an attempt to solidify this team's chances at making the post-season.

If the focus of the team was to rebuild and give the young guys time to grow, then I would see them staying around. But, that doesn't appear to be the direction that this team is heading.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:39 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Daigle always had the rep of being lazy, just like Brendl. Connolly never had that rep.

The Class of 1999 isn't a bad draft class. Too early to tell. Some from the class of 1999 are started to put it together:

Daniel Sedin 12 points in 14 games
Taylor Pyatt 9 points in 13 games
Jeff Jillson 5 points in 13 games from blueline

Connolly has two years of development time on Afinogenov. We are making the assumption that we want to deal him based on what he's done as a 21 year old. 21 years old is too early to judge most players.

Iginla 1998-99 Calgary Flames NHL 82 28 23 51 58

Not too far from Connolly's 45 pt season two years ago.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:37 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

But it's not just the stats that both me.

It's what I see with my eyes.

It's the lack of learning from his mistakes that bothers me.

It's his lack of passion on most nights that bothers me.

Plus, I'm taking the whole "make the playoffs this year" into consideration as well.

If this team were rebuilding around younger players with an eye towards making a run in the post-CBA war world, then I could see holding onto players like Connolly and Afinogenov to see what they look like a little bit further down the road.

But, if this team wants to make a push for the playoffs this season, then I think they have to look at getting the trade value of guys like Afinogenov and Connolly, and a few others like perhaps Campbell and Kalinin, up and then make moves that can help this team right now.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Takeo

Quote:
If this team were rebuilding around younger players with an eye towards making a run in the post-CBA war world, then I could see holding onto players like Connolly and Afinogenov to see what they look like a little bit further down the road.

But, if this team wants to make a push for the playoffs this season, then I think they have to look at getting the trade value of guys like Afinogenov and Connolly, and a few others like perhaps Campbell and Kalinin, up and then make moves that can help this team right now.
Golisano/Quinn have already backed off their playoff ultimatum. This team is going nowhere IMHO. Their a mediocre, .500 hockey club. I'm already looking foward to post-CBA with Vanek/Roy/Miller.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Golisano/Quinn have already backed off their playoff ultimatum. This team is going nowhere IMHO. Their a mediocre, .500 hockey club. I'm already looking foward to post-CBA with Vanek/Roy/Miller.

A mediocre, .500 Sabres team was in playoff contention down to the final week of the season two years ago. A mediocre, .500 Islanders team made the playoffs last year. The Rangers nearly did. .500 is good enough to be competitive right now, and I'll take it.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:18 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
But it's not just the stats that both me.

It's what I see with my eyes.

It's the lack of learning from his mistakes that bothers me.

It's his lack of passion on most nights that bothers me.

Plus, I'm taking the whole "make the playoffs this year" into consideration as well.

Your eyes may deceive you too. Young kids like Connolly can frustrate the hell out of you because they don't automatically learn from their mistakes. Sometimes it takes forever, and then the proverbial light goes off. It seems to for Pyatt this year. Those criticisms you have of Connolly are exactly the same criticisms Oiler fans had of Satan.

Sometimes, players don't learn. Nobody knows for sure if someone will pan out. But the pony you bet on is the one that's young.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Sorry, but guys like Satan and Pyatt never had drop off the map seasons like Connolly had last year.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
They backed off on the inference that Regier and Ruff's jobs are on the line. But, they have still stated that the goal for this season is to make the playoffs.

I think the moves that are made throughout this season will mirror those made in the offseason and they will be shorter term moves to try and get this team into the playoffs.

They've already traded away the only bluechip defensive prospect and a 3rd round pick in '04 to try and improve the club. I don't think they'll hesitate to move guys like Connolly and Afinogenov if it gets them closer to the playoffs this year.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:40 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Sorry, but guys like Satan and Pyatt never had drop off the map seasons like Connolly had last year.
But other players have:

Markus Naslund: from 61 to 41 to 34 points
Ryan Smyth: from 61 to 33 to 31 points
Vincent Lecavalier: from 67 to 51 to 37 points
Jarome Iginla: from 50 to 32 points
Radek Bonk: from 35 to 16 points

It's not uncommon for young players to have off seasons.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:05 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Bonk and Smyth had injury issues that factored in to their offseasons.

Plus, I'm betting that for every player like Naslund that has a down year and eventually flourishes, there are 3 or 4 guys that don't bounce back.

Is it possible that Connolly could develop into a legit top 2 line NHL center in the future in Buffalo?

Sure.

But I wouldn't say it's likely right now given his concussion and is less than stellar performance during training camp.

And, I don't see the Sabres and their fans being patient enough to wait 2 or 3 more years at least to see if he can improve or not.

Closed Thread