HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marketing.....hello...hello

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 08:39 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

vCash: 500
Marketing.....hello...hello

Maybe it's just me but I haven't heard any ads for thursdays game vs. the Red Wings. Traditionally we have had a great turn out for Preds/Wings but i just checked ticketmaster and there are still $10.00 seats available.....WTF???

Sign of the times? Preds suck? Mid-TN Wings fans fall off the Wagon??
Beer to expensive? Lack of Marketing? School Night? Survivor is on?

Help a poor white irish guy with this one please!!!!!!!!

BTW I'm still pissed about this teams "scorers" so this post has an angry overtone to it. Now go back and read it again only SNARL when ya do it!!!!

Old
10-29-2003, 08:48 AM
dulzhok

It's hard to market a bad product.

Plus, all Red Wing Fans know about the game. They don't need a commerical to sell them. They are either going or they're not. Honestly, at this point, people know what they're going to get a Predators game. I doubt that a commerical will change their mind on if they go or not.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:51 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok

Plus, all Red Wing Fans know about the game. They don't need a commerical to sell them. They are either going or they're not. Honestly, at this point, people know what they're going to get a Predators game. I doubt that a commerical will change their mind on if they go or not.
Dig a little deeper for me... I want a conspiracy theory.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

Prime example of an optimist

Old
10-29-2003, 09:38 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch

That's what I'm talking about. I want some damn emotion here. Who is to blame? I want to know who to be mad at.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:51 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
That's what I'm talking about. I want some damn emotion here. Who is to blame? I want to know who to be mad at.

I think this franchise might be going into survival mode. I don't expect us to make any moves to acquire players like Comrie, Sullivan or Straka. I expect us to horde our money until after the CBA is decided. The problem is, if we have a bad season this year, and their is a locket next year, this franchise will be all but lost. Luckily, since the city isn't as emotionally tied to the Predators, an NHL strike wouldn't be nearly as devastating a blow to NHL hockey in Nashville as an NFL strike. Most of this city wouldn't notice a year without hockey.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:33 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

DING.....We have a winner!!!!!!!

Old
10-29-2003, 11:00 AM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think this franchise might be going into survival mode. I don't expect us to make any moves to acquire players like Comrie, Sullivan or Straka. I expect us to horde our money until after the CBA is decided. The problem is, if we have a bad season this year, and their is a locket next year, this franchise will be all but lost. Luckily, since the city isn't as emotionally tied to the Predators, an NHL strike wouldn't be nearly as devastating a blow to NHL hockey in Nashville as an NFL strike. Most of this city wouldn't notice a year without hockey.
My thought exactly..

Old
10-29-2003, 05:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
No, prime example of a realist.

Let's say you see a comercial for a cell phone. You buy the cell phone. The phone constantly breaks, isn't reliable, and causes more frustration than personal gain. Would you buy the cell phone again if they had a really cool commercial on TV?

The Predator's cell phone costs approx $300 a night for a family of four.

The vast majority of Nashvillians have been to a Predators game. They know what the product is. It's shaky, unreliable, and can be extremely frustrating. Some of us have become loyal because it's the only product on the Nashville market for professional hockey. Others that were once loyal are dropping like flies. I really doubt a commercial is going to convince that group to start spending $300 a night for a Predators game again.

I'd rather them spend the marketing money on player salaries. The best way to market a product is to have a good product.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:45 PM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
I'd rather them spend the marketing money on player salaries. The best way to market a product is to have a good product.
It's a chicken and egg cycle. If they don't market the games, no one will know when they are and no one will come. If no one comes, they can't get the money to be able to pay the good players to come here so we have the guys we do and they need to be marketed better. Have to spend money to make money.

How much money would it cost for the Predators to make a few, oh say 10-15 second ads, for TV that just say "Your Predators take on teamX tonight at 7pm at the GEC, call 770-PUCK for tickets," and show someone like Leggy/Hartnell/Walker scoring a goal and the crowd cheering. Air it during the news in the mornings or at noon. Maybe someone would see it and say oh I didn't know the Preds were playing and then they might decide to go.

And why not put an ad in another section of the paper. They have ads in the sports section but why not in like the front section or living section? Not everyone reads the sports.

And because, before they marketed DRW games as "come see the defending stanley cup champions" but, quack. :moon:

Old
10-30-2003, 03:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
No, prime example of a realist.

Let's say you see a comercial for a cell phone. You buy the cell phone. The phone constantly breaks, isn't reliable, and causes more frustration than personal gain. Would you buy the cell phone again if they had a really cool commercial on TV?

The Predator's cell phone costs approx $300 a night for a family of four.

The vast majority of Nashvillians have been to a Predators game. They know what the product is. It's shaky, unreliable, and can be extremely frustrating. Some of us have become loyal because it's the only product on the Nashville market for professional hockey. Others that were once loyal are dropping like flies. I really doubt a commercial is going to convince that group to start spending $300 a night for a Predators game again.

I dont get you. If you dislike the Predators "product" so much, then why the crap are you a fan. I'm not going to hold a pity party everytime I read your post. Hockey is supposed to be FUN not frustrating. If you have a hard time cheering for the Predators, then move on. I'm tired of reading your whining and lamenting everytime you post. I dont mind seeing criticism, but your whole outlook is that of a bitter fan, who hates the team. Get over it, and move on.

Old
10-30-2003, 04:54 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:

BTW I found the 2 wings fans who didn't know they played here tonight.
I called them to let them know there were still plenty of seats available.
They bought 4 tickets last night. MY JOB IS DONE!!!!!

Old
10-30-2003, 07:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
BTW I found the 2 wings fans who didn't know they played here tonight.
I called them to let them know there were still plenty of seats available.
They bought 4 tickets last night. MY JOB IS DONE!!!!!
I'm slowly converting my friends as well.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:01 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I dont get you. If you dislike the Predators "product" so much, then why the crap are you a fan. I'm not going to hold a pity party everytime I read your post. Hockey is supposed to be FUN not frustrating. If you have a hard time cheering for the Predators, then move on. I'm tired of reading your whining and lamenting everytime you post. I dont mind seeing criticism, but your whole outlook is that of a bitter fan, who hates the team. Get over it, and move on.
You just described what the majority of Nashville has already done.

Apparently you canít handle the truth. The truth of the matter is that the Predators have a bad product. Why else are we last in the NHL in attendance? Why else has our season ticket base been almost cut in half since our inception? Fact: The Predators have the 2nd most losses of any NHL team over the past 5 years (2nd to TB). For comparisonís sake, the Titans have the 2nd most wins of any NFL team. I have minimal interest in the Titans. I am an extremely devoted Predators fan. However, this is, BY FAR, the minority opinion in Nashville.

Here are some more truths for you. Itís extremely difficult to market a bad product, especially when the vast majority of the Nashville has tried out the product and been disappointed. Yes, some people still like the product. Those people would be us. But itís time to step into reality man. We are the minority that still support a bad product. Like anything else, if things arenít turned around, the product will fold. The Nashville Predators are hanging on by a thread. If we continue losing, this franchise has AT MOST two more years in Nashville. Each loss is a step closer to relocation.

Do you want the Nashville Predators to fold? I donít. And at this point, I will adamantly discuss my concerns for this franchise, because I am very concerned. If you donít like it, you can stay in your fantasy world of ice cream cones and cotton candy and ignore my concerns.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:10 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
It's a chicken and egg cycle. If they don't market the games, no one will know when they are and no one will come.
Well, I agree to an extent. They should make sure that everyone knows about the game. But I think that the VAST majority of people that want to when hockey games are going to be played, already know. The Predators get free marketing in the Tennessean everyday saying when and where the next is game. The news station do it to an extent as well. And no, I'm not saying cut out all marketing efforts.

Just the ones that are like "OH look how exciting the the sport of hockey is. Predator games are fun. There are hits and fights. Oh what fun predator games are."

At this point, that's getting them nowhere. Like I said, the VAST majority of the Nashvillians have already tried out the Predators product. And for the most part, the majority of Nashvillians have become uninterested in the product. I don't think a commerical saying "look how fun Predator games are. There are hits and fits. Oh what fun Preadator games are" are going to convince those people to come back.

The only hope of getting those people back is to put out a better product.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

winning sells tickets.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
You just described what the majority of Nashville has already done.

Apparently you canít handle the truth. The truth of the matter is that the Predators have a bad product. Why else are we last in the NHL in attendance? Why else has our season ticket base been almost cut in half since our inception? Fact: The Predators have the 2nd most losses of any NHL team over the past 5 years (2nd to TB). For comparisonís sake, the Titans have the 2nd most wins of any NFL team. I have minimal interest in the Titans. I am an extremely devoted Predators fan. However, this is, BY FAR, the minority opinion in Nashville.

Here are some more truths for you. Itís extremely difficult to market a bad product, especially when the vast majority of the Nashville has tried out the product and been disappointed. Yes, some people still like the product. Those people would be us. But itís time to step into reality man. We are the minority that still support a bad product. Like anything else, if things arenít turned around, the product will fold. The Nashville Predators are hanging on by a thread. If we continue losing, this franchise has AT MOST two more years in Nashville. Each loss is a step closer to relocation.

Do you want the Nashville Predators to fold? I donít. And at this point, I will adamantly discuss my concerns for this franchise, because I am very concerned. If you donít like it, you can stay in your fantasy world of ice cream cones and cotton candy and ignore my concerns.
I live in no fantasy world. I agree that this franchise could fold very easily. Trust me, I know that. However, I take exception that the Predators are a bad product. We lack a certain element to our game, but it is definitely not a bad product. I think the reason we have such low attendence is due more to the fact that Nashville is not a hockey market. Not many people knew much about hockey when the Preds moved here, and they still do not. How many times have you seen people at games reading the pamphlets trying to figure out the rules? I see it at every game. Simply put, this is a football town. We sell out the Titans every week. More Nashvillians probably go to the Vols game then they do the Predators game. Something has to wake fans up to hockey. Winning will certainly do that, I agree, but again I do not think our team's losing has much to do with low fan support. The Predators have never enjoyed huge fan support...

Anyways, I posted what I said b/c you are the prime example of a bitter fan. I've never understood the concept of a bitter fan. If you like the game, then it gives you pleasure to watch it, not the other way around. I love watching hockey, and I love to see the Predators win. Still, I do not get bitter that our franchise in its 5th year is having problems cracking the playoffs. We are in the Western confrence with two sure-fire cup contenders at the top of our division. I don't think any team could be in a much better position right now, then the Predators are given the circumstances we have (interest, expansion team, western confrence, etc.) If it makes you bitter, I seriously suggest you look to find another team to cheer for. What is the point of sports for the public? It is there to entertain, and if you aren't being entertained then you need to go find something else to spend your time on.

All that aside, I hope I am not the only person in Nashville that feels the Predators have the best time they have iced in their short history. Good character players, tough, and they can compete with anyone. I loved watching them play in the games I saw of them. Even if we do not crack the playoffs this year, I hope people start to come to the Predators game. Already, the Tennessean is really getting the word out about the Preds. Trotz has started to do a press-confrence after each game, which he has never done before....This year is looking up for the Preds.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:20 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
The Preds don't have a bad product, it's just the novelty aspect has worn off and the economy's been down. No amount of marketing can help that.

All the Preds need to do is win. If this team can keep it going until Dec/Jan (when football ends), the GEC will be packed. People that aren't regulars are already starting to talk about their more physical style of play, Tootoo, etc. All the fights in the Detroit game will start a lot of buzz too.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:53 PM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
So did anyone else notice the single column, that was maybe a half page long, about the game in Friday's paper? If you turn the page too quick, you miss it. Barely a photo, just one inside and it was of Upshall missing a puck. It didn't even mention that Murray got his 200th career point, or that Orzsagh was playing in his 200th career game. It barely mentioned the 210 penalty minutes or anything about those fights. Meanwhile we have to have a full diagram on who sits where in the ****ing Titans locker room. That story could have waited a day or 2 to put some nice pictures of the Preds on the cover and had a bigger article. Hell, on the front page of the Tennessean it had at the top about the Titans, and you have to look all the way at the bottom for Predator news. If Detroit had won that game, I guarantee it would have been top headline news.

People say they won't come until the Preds win or whatever, well how the hell are they supposed to know that they even played, let alone won, when high school volleyball gets more coverage than the damn Predators?

Am I just a little bit upset? ****ing rights!

Old
11-01-2003, 03:48 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
So did anyone else notice the single column, that was maybe a half page long, about the game in Friday's paper? If you turn the page too quick, you miss it. Barely a photo, just one inside and it was of Upshall missing a puck. It didn't even mention that Murray got his 200th career point, or that Orzsagh was playing in his 200th career game. It barely mentioned the 210 penalty minutes or anything about those fights. Meanwhile we have to have a full diagram on who sits where in the ****ing Titans locker room. That story could have waited a day or 2 to put some nice pictures of the Preds on the cover and had a bigger article. Hell, on the front page of the Tennessean it had at the top about the Titans, and you have to look all the way at the bottom for Predator news. If Detroit had won that game, I guarantee it would have been top headline news.

People say they won't come until the Preds win or whatever, well how the hell are they supposed to know that they even played, let alone won, when high school volleyball gets more coverage than the damn Predators?

Am I just a little bit upset? ****ing rights!
Pete was on a rant about the newspaper coverage on SportsNight yesterday. Biddle had some lame excuse that the Titan story was locked in. I bet if the situation was reserved and a Titan stubbed his toe, they'd have bumped the Preds feature!

Closed Thread