HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Need a new Notebook Suggestions?

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR
I need to buy a new notebook!
Does any one have any good suggestions?
The best ones IMO are the Toshiba ones.

I currently have a Satellite from Toshiba... after I bought it, two friends got the same model: I had no problem yet.

Last edited by Kafka: 04-26-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old
04-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Toshiba. It's all about Toshiba.

I own one, and nearly half the people I know who own laptops have one, and not a single complaint. They are durable (I had a prof that dropped one from shoulder height, not a scratch), high performance (well, if you get the right one) and really, great.
Work in IT. Gotta be careful what Toshiba you get. Tecra S1's are a peice of crap. Almost a 50% problem rate, ranging from dead HD's, MOBO's, to Displays. Satellite PRO's are almost as bad. S2's otoh have been excellent. I've only seen one bad mobo in about 100 or so I've dealt with.

As for the IBM T42's. woudln't recommend those either. See them coming back to the shop all too often.

Dell's are decent and are nice and customizable. Have seen some problems with users who travel a lot and the wear and tear has taken it's toll on them. Their warranty is the best though. If it isn't working, just throw it out a window and get a new one.

Since we deal with about 2000 clients, we see a lot of notebooks, and the S2's have been the most reliable thus far... But for consumers, I think they go for over $2000, so it depends on what you're willing to spend. Oh, and be careful of Toshiba consumer tech support. I have heard nothing but horror stories (users having to wait 4 months to get replacement for dead computer, rude tech help, and just plain ignoring customers) of Toshiba tech support (there's some web pages out there dedicated to the horror stories if you search for them).

Keep in mind our users put a heavy demand on our laptops, so similar situations may not arise for a home user. Just giving my two cents to help you make a better decision.

Old
04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Most people I know own Sony Vaio or Dell laptops. Then again, I hang out with a bunch of nerds. I'm also looking for a laptop and I'm seriously considering purchasing the Inspiron 710m. I'm only waiting for some money first.

Old
04-26-2006, 10:04 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Most people I know own Sony Vaio or Dell laptops. Then again, I hang out with a bunch of nerds. I'm also looking for a laptop and I'm seriously considering purchasing the Inspiron 710m. I'm only waiting for some money first.
12" screen that's pretty small. Gona be carrying it arround alot I guess. Looks really convinient for ppl on the go. And its pretty damn powerfull for such a small notebook.

I currently have a Toshiba tecra a2 but I do alot of programming in vb.Net and the 15" screen is too small. I absolutly need the most surface possible. I also like to play some games and this toshiba is crap for games. That's why I'm having my company get me and the other programmer on the team either a inspiron 9400, precision m90 or a xps 1710. This would be our first Dell purchase and I'm eager to see the results. But from what I heard and read there will be no serious problems.

Old
04-26-2006, 10:08 AM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchHabs
The new Apple MacBook Pro with Intel processor. Nothing comes close...
I just bougth one and it's amazing, 2099$ in that price range you can't get better imo, if your looking for a windows machine or something cheaper check out the acer 5670 it's 1499$

Last edited by tmc: 04-26-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM
wade

i have a t42 for sale if ur interested still in warranty

Old
04-26-2006, 10:21 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

But if you can buy one, go for a apple notebook.

Old
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
jimnevets

If you are seriously looking for a Dell, have a look at this guy. www.wooplus.com

I bought a 710m off him from ebay auction a few months ago for $1550. It has 1 GB RAM and 100 GB harddrive. That price included the tax and it was $50 more for shipping.

He usually puts up 2 a week for people to bid on, sometimes they go for $1400 or less. I think right now the ones he has for sale have an 80 GB hardrive though. He had one with a 100 GB harddrive up last week for a buy it now price of $1400 and that includes tax.

These are brand new laptops, I'm very happy with mine

He also usually has a gaming laptop that sells for over $3,000 on Dell's website and the bids on them are probably $2,000 or less

Old
04-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
12" screen that's pretty small. Gona be carrying it arround alot I guess. Looks really convinient for ppl on the go. And its pretty damn powerfull for such a small notebook.

I currently have a Toshiba tecra a2 but I do alot of programming in vb.Net and the 15" screen is too small. I absolutly need the most surface possible. I also like to play some games and this toshiba is crap for games. That's why I'm having my company get me and the other programmer on the team either a inspiron 9400, precision m90 or a xps 1710. This would be our first Dell purchase and I'm eager to see the results. But from what I heard and read there will be no serious problems.
I'm still considering it, but I would like either that or a 12 inch PowerBook. The problem with the powerbook is that I won't be able to use either Visio, Visual Studio and Office on the computer, so that's why I'm staying with a PC.

I'll use the laptop for school and I'll be carrying it around in my bag all the time. I don't plan to play any games on it either. That's why I want something light, small and with a long battery life. As for what I'll do, I'll probably surf internet, do a lot of development in eclipse (Java), write a lot of documents and draw diagrams of software design in Visio and study online notes for courses on it. Breakdown:
Internet: 70%
Studying: 20%
Development and homework: 10%

I'm really considering getting something used but then it's quite useless to have a laptop if you think it's too ugly and old to take out of your school bag.

Old
04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnevets
If you are seriously looking for a Dell, have a look at this guy. www.wooplus.com

I bought a 710m off him from ebay auction a few months ago for $1550. It has 1 GB RAM and 100 GB harddrive. That price included the tax and it was $50 more for shipping.

He usually puts up 2 a week for people to bid on, sometimes they go for $1400 or less. I think right now the ones he has for sale have an 80 GB hardrive though. He had one with a 100 GB harddrive up last week for a buy it now price of $1400 and that includes tax.

These are brand new laptops, I'm very happy with mine

He also usually has a gaming laptop that sells for over $3,000 on Dell's website and the bids on them are probably $2,000 or less
Do you consider the 12' screen too small? How's that working out for you?

Old
04-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
But if you can buy one, go for a apple notebook.
But take into consideration that an apple notebook is pretty much useless for anything other than internet surfing, word processing and listening to music and a few specialized tasks.

Old
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
jimnevets

Quote:
I love it, the display is very nice. If you are plannig to do a lot of multi-tasking where you need screen space, I wouldn't suggest it. I have it set on 1280 x 800 and it is very good, just have to scroll a bit more. I bought this to carry around to a program I'm doing at University of Toronto. I have a mild muscle disease so small is important for me. It is only about 2 Kgs. It comes with a 4 cell battery that lasts about 2-2.5 hours. For $129 extra you can get an 8 cell battery that will last 5-5.5 hours. Other computers have batteries that last longer but you will pay 2 or 3 times as much for an extra one or a replacement

I find the computer to be very fast. The Pentium mobile 2.0 Ghz processor is better than the Pentium 4 3 Ghz processor I have in my desktop

Old
04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
tmc

Quote:
But take into consideration that an apple notebook is pretty much useless for anything other than internet surfing, word processing and listening to music and a few specialized tasks.
what?? are you aware they switched to intel you can install windows on it if you want

Old
04-26-2006, 12:36 PM
znk

Quote:
Dont forget...you can still plug it on a decent size monitor. So if you really need big size once it a while you are ok.
But I also think the keyboard is smaller. Tho I'm not sure about that.
Check out the inspiron 6400 for a good 15" laptop with DuoCore cpu. If you dont game on your desktop either...you'll probably never use your desktop again. (I'm not sure about its battery life....I'll go check)

Edit battery info:
Quote:
With the smaller option 6 cell battery and a powerful new processor, I didn't have very high hopes for battery life. However, the Dell lasted longer than expected. At maximum brightness, it played a DVD for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Under normal light tasks, with WiFi on and almost maximum brightness, the battery lasted almost three hours. Dimming the screen all the way and shutting wireless off squeezed almost 4 hours of total battery life. I could burn the battery in about 90 minutes or less if I really tried. Gaming would likely burn it this fast.
The optional 9-cell battery, which is the same physical size as the 6-cell, should give about 50% more run time.

The battery charges fast for the first 80%. At nearly 1% per minute, you could get a significant boost on a one hour layover at the airport.

A bigger battery might be a better choice than two batteries. Lithium-Ion cells wear out even if you don't use them.
soucre:http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2827
Note that it's using the integrated graphics card. Change it to a ati x1400 and Battery life will stay as good maybe even better with ati's technology. And it will play high definition videos better.

Last edited by znk: 04-26-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
what?? are you aware they switched to intel you can install windows on it if you want
Why should I hack my laptop if I can get a perfectly workingPC laptop for about half the price?

Old
04-26-2006, 10:40 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
maybe... but I have a sony vaio and I'm really happy with it, you should consider that choice imo.

Old
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Form and Substance

Just get a hilroy it'll save you a good 1500 dollars gahahah.
Or if you feel wimpy, you could get the Rachel MacAdams-Ryan Gosling vehicule, that'll stir up some of those latent homosexual feelings you've been secretely wondering about lately.

Old
04-27-2006, 12:42 AM
JrHockeyFan

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
The screen on my VAIO is incredible... Awesome colors, definition and black levels. 1280*800 Xbrite
The xbrite widescreen can't be beat. I have had my vaio almost 3 yrs. Works great.

Old
04-27-2006, 08:31 AM
tmc

Quote:
Why should I hack my laptop if I can get a perfectly workingPC laptop for about half the price?
it's an official apple release called boot camp if you want to run windows, they are the same price as big name pc machines

Old
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
it's an official apple release called boot camp if you want to run windows, they are the same price as big name pc machines
But MacBook Pros are about 3000$ and even if I could afford that, I'd be scared to go around in public with that for fear of getting it stolen. It hurts a lot less to get a 1000$ laptop stolen than a 3000$ one.

Old
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
znk

AWESOME deal on 710m today only
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...HS1&l=en&s=dhs

you can get one for 999$

Old
04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
tmc

Quote:
But MacBook Pros are about 3000$ and even if I could afford that, I'd be scared to go around in public with that for fear of getting it stolen. It hurts a lot less to get a 1000$ laptop stolen than a 3000$ one.
2099$

Old
04-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Well, this looks like the perfect topic to ask, I'm seriously considering getting a laptop in the near future and just wondering if any of the more knowledgable people regarding this subject can point me in the direction of an appropriate machine.

I haven't done a whole lot of research yet but it seems like there is a fair amount out there to sift through. One that has caught my eye so far is the Dell XPS M1710, the only drawbacks being the price and maybe the quality of the screen (according to a review i read before - can anyone comment on the quality if possible?). It may well be overkill for what im doing but I don't mind saving up and spending a bit of money if im going to get something that will do the job very well and last without causing too many problems.

If anyone can help me out with either advice of which machines to look at in more detail or a website that could be of use, that would be very useful. The laptop wouldn't be used on the move very much if at all, so size/weight and battery life are not going to be an issue. Its mainly going to be used at home, occassionally work (an office). Main uses would be various multimedia design (website, graphic, animation, video, etc), occassional gaming and the usual online tasks. A fair amount of power would be required as im likely to be running programs like flash, photoshop, dreamweaver and others simultaneously and also a 17inch screen would be preferable.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers in advance.

EDIT - forgot to mention, a mac wouldn't be appropriate (even though i trust them more) as i already have various bits of software that i dont much fancy forking out for again but for a different format.

Closed Thread