HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cloutier has played well but...

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Knucklehead

vCash: 500
Cloutier has played well but...

I feel he has reaped the benefits of stronger team defense play so far this year. For instance in the game against L.A.where he faced 38 shots, I thought almost all of them were from poor angles and far out. But he did play his angles exceptionally well and he controlled the rebounds, what few there were. I thought Clouts was a bit lucky too as Klatt rung one off the goal post against L.A. and I think it was Doan did the same against Phoenix.

I question what's going to happen when he faces shots he must rely on his reflexs to stop as opposed to his positioning.

Anyway, he is on top of his game and I hope he continues as any improvement by the Canucks this year in the regular season or playoffs is going to be largely dictated by the quality of play of the Canucks goaltending.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vs Phoenix? Yes.
vs Los Angeles? No way in hell.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Impossibles

Good positioning makes the saves look easy.

Clouts also got a few lucky breaks in the LA game, but you know what they say: "you have to be lucky to be good".

I also think that cloutier needs shots against to have good games. He seems to have trouble when he isn't tested for long periods of time. This is fine for the good teams, but he seems to have his worst games against lower level teams. Anybody else notice this?

Old
11-01-2003, 08:25 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I also think that cloutier needs shots against to have good games. He seems to have trouble when he isn't tested for long periods of time. This is fine for the good teams, but he seems to have his worst games against lower level teams. Anybody else notice this?
He himself has admitted this on several occasions. According to him, his "optimal" shot count is 25-30. It was definitely apparent in some of those minny playoff games last year.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Knucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Yes I have. It's as if he has too much time to think and his reaction time is sluggish when he doesn't get tested steady enough. I believe that happens with most goaltenders. They need to be tested regularly to keep limbered up, their reflexs sharp and stay mentally focused.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead
Yes I have. It's as if he has too much time to think and his reaction time is sluggish when he doesn't get tested steady enough. I believe that happens with most goaltenders. They need to be tested regularly to keep limbered up, their reflexs sharp and stay mentally focused.
Well, the great goaltenders are at the top of their game no matter how many shots they face, Brodeur is one example.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Knucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Well, the great goaltenders are at the top of their game no matter how many shots they face, Brodeur is one example.
I tend to agree with you PG

Old
11-01-2003, 09:00 AM
LaVal

Quote:
nobody has ever stated we have one of the great goaltenders in net

Old
11-01-2003, 09:02 AM
LaVal

one thing i noticed is there has been a lot of hitting the posts against Cloutier which is a great thing. it means he's forcing shooters to thread the needle to beat him.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Lucky breaks against Phoenix? Maybe. Against LA? No chance. Cloutier was the only player on the ice for the Canucks who was any good and he was fantastic.

~Canucklehead~

11-01-2003, 09:32 AM
orcatown

I watched the replay of the LA game and even though LA had good possession in the Canuck end most of the shots were indeed from bad angles. Overall the team did a good job of keeping LA out of prime shooting areas and out of the slot. Where things went wrong was on getting the puck out of their end. Vancouver got hemmed in and there were too many turnovers. Yet I thought the team did well to recover back from these turnovers and prevent direct chances on the net.

One thing Vancouver is doing is taking away the pass. Players coming toward the net are being force to shoot or try to break in on the net . They are not allowing the pass to be made to an open man. That really helpsthe goalie.

I think Cloutier is playing fine. However, I think people are exaggerating Cloutier's role in the LA game. He played a solid game but not one unlike many of solid effrots put in by NHL goaltenders. If Cloutier continues to play this way he will provide the team with solid goaltending.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Lucky breaks against Phoenix? Maybe. Against LA? No chance. Cloutier was the only player on the ice for the Canucks who was any good and he was fantastic.

~Canucklehead~
There were quite a few missed chances by LA players. You cannot deny that.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
nobody has ever stated we have one of the great goaltenders in net
And please tell me where I stated that we do?

Old
11-01-2003, 10:59 AM
LaVal

Quote:
And please tell me where I stated that we do?
please tell me where i stated that you stated we do

my comment was a point, not an argument

Old
11-01-2003, 11:16 AM
iceburg

This thread is really quite amusing. Cloutier is off to his best start ever posting less than 2 GAA, a save percentage that is well above 0.9, on his way to well over 30 wins (projected right now at 38) etc. The guy is providing solid "first string" goaltending and what I read on this thread is that he has been lucky, that he isn't having to make tough saves, and that it's the better defensive team that is making him look good. Last time I checked the goaltender is part of the team!! Anyway, this is just another example of why goaltenders will never get any slack in this city. Roy, Brodeur, Dryden, Tretiak would've all been called bums on this thread.

Team GPI Min GAA W L T ENG ShO GA SA SvPct
2002-03 Van 57 3376 2.42 33 16 7 6 2 136 1477 0.908
2003-04 Van 8 483 1.86 5 2 1 0 0 15 203 0.926
Career 253 13420 2.71 95 102 28 16 10 606 6085 0.900

Closed Thread