HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils/Avalanche 10/1 1PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Devils/Avalanche 10/1 1PM EST

Maybe it's just me, but I had no idea we were playing the Avs today.....which is unusual since this is usually a game I look forward to. Plus it's a 10am start for me on the west coast.....good thing I checked ESPN last night.

I think Kariya and Selanne were scratched for their last game.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Maybe it's just me, but I had no idea we were playing the Avs today.....which is unusual since this is usually a game I look forward to. Plus it's a 10am start for me on the west coast.....good thing I checked ESPN last night.

I think Kariya and Selanne were scratched for their last game.

Same here... I woke up an hour ago (Halloween hangover) and saw this on the Center Ice Schedule. What a pleasant surprise!!!

Here's some pregame stuff from ESPN...

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- The New Jersey Devils look to build on their first home win of the season Saturday afternoon as they host the Colorado Avalanche in a rematch of the 2001 Stanley Cup Finals.

The Devils opened a season without a victory in their first four home games for the first time since 1983-84 before rallying for 3-2 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday.

Mike Rupp scored his first two goals of the season, including the game-winner with 8:43 remaining. It was New Jersey's first win at the Continental Airlines Arena since Rupp collected a goal and two assists in Game Seven of the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

Defenseman Scott Stevens netted a power-play goal and had an assist for the Devils, who limited the Flyers to one shot on goal in the third period.

Colorado is 3-1-0 in its last four contests. The Avalanche have scored 16 goals in that span and are coming off Tuesday's 4-2 home victory over the Calgary Flames.

Milan Hejduk scored his seventh goal of the season and Jim Cummins netted his first goal in 2 1/2 years. Alex Tanguay extended his points streak to seven games with a pair of assists.

The Avalanche retired former goaltender Patrick Roy's No. 33 before the game and his successor, David Aebischer, made 26 saves for his third straight win.

Colorado has won the last three meetings in the series after defeating the Devils in seven games to win the 2001 Stanley Cup.

COLORADO LEADERS

Forwards G A Pts +/- PIM
Forsberg 5 11 16 2 4
A. Tanguay 3 10 13 2 4

Defensemen G A Pts +/- PIM
A. Foote 2 5 7 0 21
R. Blake 3 3 6 2 10

Goaltending W L T GAA SV%
Aebischer 5 2 0 2.01 .928

NEW JERSEY LEADERS

Forwards G A Pts +/- PIM
P. Elias 2 6 8 2 2
S. Gomez 0 6 6 1 4

Defensemen G A Pts +/- PIM
Rafalski 1 7 8 1 2
Niedermayer 2 2 4 1 6

Goaltending W L T GAA SV%
M. Brodeur 4 3 2 2.09 .908

Old
11-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Vanya

I cant wait to see Forsberg up close today... I hope Stevens re-introduces himself...

This one should be fun, and I'll go with a 4-3 Devils win. Devils goals from Langs 2, Elias and Rafalski. Avs goals from Selanne, Liles and Hinote.

#@%&*@ Doc just said Forsberg isn't playing!!!! Well, actually, I guess that's good. Now we just have to worry about Selanne, Sakic, Tanguay, Hejduk, Blake, Foote, Morris, etc...

Old
11-01-2003, 08:06 AM
dennisjs

Send a message via AIM to dennisjs Send a message via Yahoo to dennisjs
4-2 Devils. Av goals Blake and Tanguay.. Devils goals Madden, Brylin, Martin, Larionov.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Vanya

Hale's in the game, fresh off the injured list and Grant Marshall is out.

Sakic and Madden take the opening draw... Game on!

Old
11-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Vanya

Anyone else get the feeling this game has "Jamie Langenbrunner, 1st Star" written all over it?

Ok, maybe just me...

Old
11-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Vanya

Langs rings the crossbar on a semi open net.... Oh man... Good action so far

Old
11-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vanya
Anyone else get the feeling this game has "Jamie Langenbrunner, 1st Star" written all over it?

Ok, maybe just me...
He's due for a great breakout game.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:24 AM
devildan

David Aebisher looks like ****

Old
11-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Vanya

What an awesome PK so far... That last rush was pretty exciting. Hopefully Madden will finish one of them soon

Old
11-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
David Aebisher looks like ****

It's still odd watching a Devils rush then realizing it's not Roy back there. But I like this feeling.

When do you guys think the Avs swing a trade for a goaltender? (Joseph, Kolzig, Burke, Biron?)

Old
11-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
1-0 Avalanche

Sakic scores on the power play.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Sakic scores on the power play.

Of course. We pressure all period, hit a crossbar, get Abby flopping around, and then they come back with a minute to go and take the lead.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
1-1 Game

Niedermayer scores for the Devils. Great play by Patrik Elias.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Vanya

Neidermayer scores!!! 1-1!!!

Another very exciting sequence. Holy smokes!

Old
11-01-2003, 08:39 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
It's still odd watching a Devils rush then realizing it's not Roy back there. But I like this feeling.

When do you guys think the Avs swing a trade for a goaltender? (Joseph, Kolzig, Burke, Biron?)
Not sure if they will. They will wait and see with Aebischer. If he continues to play well, I seriously don't think they will do anything. JMO

Old
11-01-2003, 08:40 AM
dennisjs

****ing Tanguay scores.

Old
Vanya

Quote:
Niedermayer scores for the Devils. Great play by Patrik Elias.
Patty showed great poise holding on to that puck and firing it back to the point instead of hastily trying to wrap it around and stuff it in. Of course, they don't score there and we scold him.

FREAKING HELL!!! Tanguay scores with 4 seconds left, Avs up 2-1. Ugh.

That was a fun period.

Old
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:

So far he's played so well for them, I'm thinking they will just sit tight for awhile and ride him out for as long as they can. 5 wins in 7 games with good numbers and 1 shutout so far.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4check22
Not sure if they will. They will wait and see with Aebischer. If he continues to play well, I seriously don't think they will do anything. JMO

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Obviously, the Avs are built for one thing only: To win the last game of the playoffs. Abby could have a solid season, but still remains a question mark heading into the postseason. The only way he'll show what he can do in that situation is to play in it. But do the Avs take that gamble? (That said, it's not like the G's avbailable have impressive postseason resumes)

Old
4check22

Quote:
So far he's played so well for them, I'm thinking they will just sit tight for awhile and ride him out for as long as they can. 5 wins in 7 games with good numbers and 1 shutout so far.
Totally agree with ya. He has done a fine job. Reminds me of the position that Fuhr had to play with Edmonton -- just don't allow more than 3 or 4 goals, and they'll win. He's saving about 93% of shots taken and allowing a little over 2 goals per game. Not bad at all.

Old
dennisjs

Quote:
He looks like crap today. Too bad the Devils can't shoot worth ****.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
I thought for sure that Curtis Joseph would wind up with Colorado before the season started whether it was a 3 team deal or 2 team one. That is one screwed up situation in Detroit with Hasek not talking to him and his desires to be the top dog with no one else stealing his thunder there.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:58 AM
4check22

Quote:
I thought for sure that Curtis Joseph would wind up with Colorado before the season started whether it was a 3 team deal or 2 team one. That is one screwed up situation in Detroit with Hasek not talking to him and his desires to be the top dog with no one else stealing his thunder there.
Can you believe the PR debacle it would be if Detroit traded Joseph to Colorado and Colorado beat Detroit in the playoffs? I think the Wings would rather trade Joseph to any other team rather than Colorado. Even if it landed them with another great forward like Tanguay or a defenseman like Morris. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that Joseph will end up back in the East.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4check22
Can you believe the PR debacle it would be if Detroit traded Joseph to Colorado and Colorado beat Detroit in the playoffs? I think the Wings would rather trade Joseph to any other team rather than Colorado. Even if it landed them with another great forward like Tanguay or a defenseman like Morris. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that Joseph will end up back in the East.
Very true. Holland would never hear the end of it if that happened.

Great to see Stevens showing some more toughness out there.

Closed Thread