HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver re-claims Nolan Baumgartner

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2003, 09:29 AM
  #1
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,266
vCash: 422
Vancouver re-claims Nolan Baumgartner

Just heard on the Pens-Bruins game that the Canucks have re-claimed defenseman Nolan Baumgartner from the Penguins.

Good riddance to bad hockey players.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:31 AM
  #2
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Just heard on the Pens-Bruins game that the Canucks have re-claimed defenseman Nolan Baumgartner from the Penguins.

Good riddance to bad hockey players.
I wouldn't say Baumgartner is bad. He's solid in all aspects of the game, just he doesn't over excel in any one area which makes him not stick out. I like Baumer, glad to see him back however at the same time it's a shame as I wish he would have stuck with the Pens.

If you honestly believe Baumer wasn't good enough for the Penguin blueline, then you must have some sort of fascination with Berehowsky.

CCF is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:39 AM
  #3
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Baugartner is a very solid player... in the AHL. He is not NHL material in any shape or fashion. He's been on waivers enough times to surely be claimed by any team that believes he has any upside. He has floated through and no one has bit. Vancouver grabbed him for the minor league team (a wise move). They could grab him and immediately assign him, so there is no cost to the Canucks outside of the waiver fee. Nothing to be proud of.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:40 AM
  #4
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,266
vCash: 422
Berehowsky sucks ass, but Baumer was just atrocious.

I'm talking Hans Jonsson-esque suck. I hate the +/- stat but in 5 games he was a -7...

I'd rather have Lupaschuk up with the Pens making rookie mistakes than this turd.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:42 AM
  #5
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Baugartner is a very solid player... in the AHL. He is not NHL material in any shape or fashion. He's been on waivers enough times to surely be claimed by any team that believes he has any upside. He has floated through and no one has bit. Vancouver grabbed him for the minor league team (a wise move). They could grab him and immediately assign him, so there is no cost to the Canucks outside of the waiver fee. Nothing to be proud of.
completely agree....

Baumer is a career AHLer... and a pretty good one at that... I'm sure he'll be helpful for the Moose...

another thing that he'd help in is adding experience to mostly a young Moose blueline... Eakins and Obsut are vets there, but it's nice to have someone like Baumer to help out guys like Koltsov, Jokela and Vydareny...

I don't see Baumer getting a call up though this season.

NFITO is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:58 AM
  #6
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,994
vCash: 1000
When VAncouver traded Zenith K they needed another d-man on the farm. The fact that Nolan could not crack the pens lineup says alot abut his play

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:00 AM
  #7
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
When VAncouver traded Zenith K they needed another d-man on the farm. The fact that Nolan could not crack the pens lineup says alot abut his play
Komarniski is a forward.

CCF is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:00 AM
  #8
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
When VAncouver traded Zenith K they needed another d-man on the farm. The fact that Nolan could not crack the pens lineup says alot abut his play
Zenith was playing LW.... did all of last season as well.

NFITO is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:17 AM
  #9
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,994
vCash: 1000
he was playing lw and d. Nonis had a verbal agreement that if Zenith was not the first d man called up--that they would trade Zenith)vancouver province thursday)

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 12:50 PM
  #10
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,110
vCash: 432
Baumgartner was AWFUL. He had the worst +/- too.
Awful, awful, awful.
Great news to see him go!

Evilo is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:09 PM
  #11
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
If you honestly believe Baumer wasn't good enough for the Penguin blueline, then you must have some sort of fascination with Berehowsky.
He played horrible, and no, he wasn't even good enough for the Pens D.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 02:18 PM
  #12
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68
He played horrible, and no, he wasn't even good enough for the Pens D.
You have give guys more than five games to adjust to a teams system and style of play. For example, Sami Salo came to the Canucks last season and played awful to start. People questioned the trade, and Burke's thought process but eventually Sami found his niche and heas become a solid component on the back end. Other than Ohlund, Sami Salo is the Canucks most reliable defenseman.

Baumer did well last season when called upon for the Canucks, no reason for me to believe that he couldn't do the same for the Pens.

CCF is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 02:33 PM
  #13
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Good call, CCF, but I think a lot of fans go on first impressions.

I have gained an opinion that Baumgartner is a solid depth guy who has a decent shot from the point and OK puck skills. He just doesn't have great size or a superb defensive game. Getting him back is another intelligent move by Burke, just like getting Pronger yesterday. Teams like Detroit and Dallas where absolutely stocked with solid depth players both in the minors and the press box during their Cup runs in recent years. It's important to have plenty of depth if you want to contend for the silver chalice.

That's my two cents.

 
Old
11-01-2003, 02:41 PM
  #14
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,826
vCash: 500
I'm in the minority among Pens fans.

I thought he looked OK in the games he played. The problem with the Pens and guys like Baumgartner and Moran is that when you have a team full of borderline 4-5-6 guys, a few of them have to be 1-2-3 guys and play against Forsberg, Thornton, and Bertuzzi. So they'll look bad.

I think he could have been a servicable guy here, but I am getting the impression that the Pens want to try youngsters Scuderi or Lupaschuk out for a spot and that one of them might be called up soon.

With the fact that he is a career AHLer...Sorry to be the first one to point out what seems to be obvious, but maybe that's what CP was trying to do...send him to Wilkes Barre......

We're an ECHL team anyways.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:14 PM
  #15
MoS*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northfield, Minnesot
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
completely agree....

Baumer is a career AHLer... and a pretty good one at that... I'm sure he'll be helpful for the Moose...

another thing that he'd help in is adding experience to mostly a young Moose blueline... Eakins and Obsut are vets there, but it's nice to have someone like Baumer to help out guys like Koltsov, Jokela and Vydareny...

I don't see Baumer getting a call up though this season.
we have a strong Ahl defensive corps now.

Koltsov - Eakins
Mojzsis - Grenier
Vydareny - Baumgartner
Jokela - Osbut

MoS* is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:55 PM
  #16
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Berehowsky sucks ass, but Baumer was just atrocious.

I'm talking Hans Jonsson-esque suck. I hate the +/- stat but in 5 games he was a -7...

I'd rather have Lupaschuk up with the Pens making rookie mistakes than this turd.
Well that's your opinion of Baumgartner, but now that he's finally back with the Canucks we'll use him as our #1 D & we can send Jovanovsky to our farm team.

Hi-wayman is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:22 PM
  #17
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,110
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
I wouldn't say Baumgartner is bad. He's solid in all aspects of the game, just he doesn't over excel in any one area which makes him not stick out. I like Baumer, glad to see him back however at the same time it's a shame as I wish he would have stuck with the Pens.

If you honestly believe Baumer wasn't good enough for the Penguin blueline, then you must have some sort of fascination with Berehowsky.
Hmm, let me give you this stat :
Baumgarnter has the worst +/- on the Pens.
Berehowsky has the best +/- on the Pens.

Got the idea?

Evilo is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 02:38 AM
  #18
Blane Youngblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Hmm, let me give you this stat :
Baumgarnter has the worst +/- on the Pens.
Berehowsky has the best +/- on the Pens.

Got the idea?
Yep, stats are useless.

Blane Youngblood is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 02:55 AM
  #19
gocaps8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Remember this guy was a 1st rounder in 1994 10th overall Nolan Baumgartner, by Washington.

gocaps8 is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 06:06 AM
  #20
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,110
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jin
Yep, stats are useless.
I'll finish your post...

Stats are useless... when they don't serve your point.

Evilo is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 09:04 AM
  #21
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Brent Sopel +3

Sami Salo -2

Since the +/- stat is a sure bet on player performance, I would just ask that you please clarify this one for me. Salo, as stated earlier has been the Canucks most reliable defenseman after Ohlund while Sopel on the other hand hasn't lost a step from last year and continues to throw it up the middle, and trip over the blueline. In fact a lot of Canuck fans are glad that he's been out of the lineup the past few games with an injury.

Salo has the worst plus minus on the team but has been at the top in terms of on ice performance.

I mean the +/- stat tells it all, no?

CCF is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 09:09 AM
  #22
LaVal
Registered User
 
LaVal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 500
like i stated in another thread... i don't know what you expect when you throw a #3-4 AHL defensemen on your big club that's noted for horrible defense.

LaVal is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 11:15 AM
  #23
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,110
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Brent Sopel +3

Sami Salo -2

Since the +/- stat is a sure bet on player performance, I would just ask that you please clarify this one for me. Salo, as stated earlier has been the Canucks most reliable defenseman after Ohlund while Sopel on the other hand hasn't lost a step from last year and continues to throw it up the middle, and trip over the blueline. In fact a lot of Canuck fans are glad that he's been out of the lineup the past few games with an injury.

Salo has the worst plus minus on the team but has been at the top in terms of on ice performance.

I mean the +/- stat tells it all, no?
Well you may factor in PP time.
Baumgartner didn't have any.
Berehowsky did.
Oh and the Pens are leading the league in SH goals against.
That's got to hurt Berehowsky's +/-, right?
Wrong. He's still miles ahead of Baumgartner, who's been horrible. And Berehowsky isn't particularly impressive, but looks like an allstar compared to Nolan.

Baumgartner wasn't expected to be good, and he lived up to the hype.
He was awful.
You can't say he is better than Berehowsky, because as average as Drake has been he was still head and shoulders above Nolan.

So to answer your previous question, while Berehowksy is not much of Dman, he is good enough to make the Pens D, while Baumgartner is not.

Evilo is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 11:56 AM
  #24
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Well you may factor in PP time.
Baumgartner didn't have any.
Berehowsky did.
Oh and the Pens are leading the league in SH goals against.
That's got to hurt Berehowsky's +/-, right?
Wrong. He's still miles ahead of Baumgartner, who's been horrible. And Berehowsky isn't particularly impressive, but looks like an allstar compared to Nolan.

Baumgartner wasn't expected to be good, and he lived up to the hype.
He was awful.
You can't say he is better than Berehowsky, because as average as Drake has been he was still head and shoulders above Nolan.

So to answer your previous question, while Berehowksy is not much of Dman, he is good enough to make the Pens D, while Baumgartner is not.
That wasn't my question at all.

You are aware that the PP and PK have no effects on the +/- stat, eh.

And Baumgartner did have PP time, so I don't know what you are talking about.

CCF is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 02:32 PM
  #25
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
I'll finish your post...

Stats are useless... when they don't serve your point.
Good point, but I don't think it's fair to judge Baumgartner on a five game cameo (or however many games he suited up for you guys). He just went from a solid defensive team in the Canucks to a weak defensive team in the Penguins. He has to adjust to the new system, not to mention a different coach and different teammates.

In any case, each of us are entitled to our opinions. Mine is that Baumgartner is a solid depth defenseman who is OK offensively, but not very good defensively. I certainly wouldn't want him taking a regular shift for my team, though.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.