HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Calls to Suspend Gauthier?

Old
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
chthonic

vCash: 500
TSN Calls to Suspend Gauthier?

Quote:
I think Colin Campbell and the NHL should suspend Gauthier. This guy should forfeit the right to play in the postseason. This was a nothing game because the score was so out of hand, and Gauthier went way over the line. That's embarrassing and he should be suspended.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:46 PM
2x4*

I need a video replay before I can decide.
From what I remember it was pretty shady, and from what I hear he has a history.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxer
From what I remember it was pretty shady, and from what I hear he has a history.

He did it to Kyle Wellwood a few weeks ago.

Colin Campbell would never do it though unless Vanek was seriously injured.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxer
If you recall his hit on Welwood a couple of weeks ago, it was basically the same hit in the same spot, only Vanek was a few steps farther from the board, so the hit was that much more dangerous. Fortunately for Vanek, instead of flying head first into the boards, he did a sort of summersault flip and came out relatively unharmed.

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
He did it to Kyle Wellwood a few weeks ago
Totally different type of hit.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dedalus

He's a genuinely mean player. Sometimes that's a benefit; sometimes it hurts.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:51 PM
2x4*

I didnt see it, so I cant comment on it.

Old
04-24-2006, 09:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Totally different type of hit.

actually, it looked almost exactly the same. The only thing missing was Vanek's blood all over the ice

Old
04-24-2006, 09:54 PM
gotswim20

its a tough call, but personally i feel the league will go on reputation and suspend him. I don't think its the right move but i think it will happen..if you watch the play the player already had his head down making for a bad situation no matter what...then its a question of did he pull up or attempt too and that to be honest i cant tell and because of th player going head first already makes it difficult to tell if the result was worse because of that or what..it was boarding but i don't know if there is really enough evidence(ie leaving the feet) to constitute intent to injure thats my call but ill leave it to the league they will do whats best

gotswim20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
peacepipe

if hes suspended this league is a joke..he did not hit him hard enough to warrant a suspension he more or less glided into him..not even worthy of 5 minutes

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MountainHawk

It looked much worse in replay than in realtime. It's probably suspendable in the regular season, but unlikely in the postseason.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
actually, it looked almost exactly the same. The only thing missing was Vanek's blood all over the ice
How so?

Wellwood was skating right up against the boards and Gauts crushed his head into the glass.

Vanek was standing still and was bent over looking for the puck a few feet out from the boards. Gauts bumped him in the back and he went head first into the ice because of the way he was bent over.

Old
MsWoof

He's an idiot and obviously didn't learn his lesson after his suspension a few weeks ago. There's no room for things like this in the game.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goodrev

if they dont suspend cambell then they cant possibly suspend gauthier, will they suspend him? absolutely but the officiating has been rediculously one sided in this series though some of the flyers penalities have been good, there are a lot of bogus ones and a lot of penalties that buffalo is doing that flat out are not getting called (not that our power play isnt a waste of 2 minutes of game time)

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Broad st phantom

that hit was shoulder to shoulder....as he started to turn..... yes say what ever.... gauthier suspended .. no

TSN can suck me B@LLS

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
BringBackStevens

this one wasn't as bad as the wellwood hit. from the limited times ive seen it, im pretty sure he was pretty close to hitting him from the side, not directly from behind ala hollweg. i still think it should have been 2 minutes.

yes i am a homer. sorry.

i think he'll be suspended anyway

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
2x4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
if they dont suspend cambell then they cant possibly suspend gauthier, will they suspend him? absolutely but the officiating has been rediculously one sided in this series though some of the flyers penalities have been good, there are a lot of bogus ones and a lot of penalties that buffalo is doing that flat out are not getting called (not that our power play isnt a waste of 2 minutes of game time)
Campbells hit was perfectly clean.
Gauthiers was not.

Old
RoDu

can anyone post soem footage of the hit?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chthonic

i really dont think gauthier goes for "blatant cheapshots." that wellwood hit was not intentional. he turned at the last minute. gauthier couldnt stop and immediately went down to make sure wellwood was okay. seemed classier than what a lot of other players would do.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 10:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
How so?

Wellwood was skating right up against the boards and Gauts crushed his head into the glass.

Vanek was standing still and was bent over looking for the puck a few feet out from the boards. Gauts bumped him in the back and he went head first into the ice because of the way he was bent over.

Gauthier had plenty of time to stop from an incoming hit on Wellwood, I've had that discussion before though.

Old
04-24-2006, 10:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev

Here is why the officiating was one-sided tonight.

-Flyers can't keep up with Buffalo's speed, Gagne takes a penalty.

-After more penalties, the score gets bigger

-After the score gets bigger the Flyers just start doing stupid things.

Buffalo doesn't need to hook and hold because some of them can skate circles around our guys.

Old
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Gauthier had plenty of time to stop from an incoming hit on Wellwood, I've had that discussion before though.
We're not discussing the Wellwood hit though. That deserved suspension, the one tonight does not. It's not even close.

Old
Jeremy2020

As a sabres fan, I think it was justified to eject him from the game. he was on a mission to injure someone. I have my doubts about his innocent intentions in the hit.

However, I don't think he will or should be suspended for it. I do think this is the sort of thing that needs to be weddled from the game and a part of why we're seeing such increased calls. When he does something like that, I'd say the refs are a lot more likely to call him on "questionable" infractions in the future.

If they do suspend him, I think it's to send a message to the players in the league. I'd say he'd probably have gotten a game or two in the regular season (maybe more for the repeat performance), but I don't see him going in the playoffs.

Oh, maybe you guys can answer for me why the Flyers seemed to be so interested in Vanek...he hasn't exactly been a force in the series so far. I'm curious if I'm missing something.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flyers4ever

Yes the Gauthier hit could have been nasty had the positioning not been what it was.. But, you can't go by the what if's.. I love hockey, I love the hitting, the checking, but these kind of calls, and even the one on Umberger, should be penalties.. There are so many great hits in the game, none of which are career ending hits.. But yet we will penalize a guy for hooking? That amazes me... Call the shots that are career ending shots, not this b.s hooking crap... just my two cents.. I personally do not Gauthier's hit was all that bad, but of course, I look at it as the guy wasn't hurt.. But, after Umberger, I am thinking differently about the rules.. Bertruzzi's hit should have made the nhl wake up and realize that nhl isn't any fun if players are getting paralized...

Flyers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers4ever
Yes the Gauthier hit could have been nasty had the positioning not been what it was.. But, you can't go by the what if's.. I love hockey, I love the hitting, the checking, but these kind of calls, and even the one on Umberger, should be penalties.. There are so many great hits in the game, none of which are career ending hits.. But yet we will penalize a guy for hooking? That amazes me... Call the shots that are career ending shots, not this b.s hooking crap... just my two cents.. I personally do not Gauthier's hit was all that bad, but of course, I look at it as the guy wasn't hurt.. But, after Umberger, I am thinking differently about the rules.. Bertruzzi's hit should have made the nhl wake up and realize that nhl isn't any fun if players are getting paralized...
is it the opposition's fault when a player accepts a pass up the middle with his head down??

umberger hit was clean.. his fault (and his teammate) for that suicidal play... survical of the fittest.. if you aren't smart enough to play in the NHL, you will be removed (one way or the other)

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote