Luongo, Fleury and Raycroft

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 09:59 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Luongo, Fleury and Raycroft

There has been a lot mentioned about the Broons goaltending problems before the season but you'd have to say that it has been spectacular to date. I am not a goaltender and except for tending on the pond between a pair of workboots to get into the big kids games you couldn't pay me to defend the pipes. Fleury is only 18 and is expected to be the next great goaltender- as was Dipeitro, and Loungo makes three. You read the HF prospect board top 100 and there are 15 goalies ahead of Raycroft including Toivonen. Bob Beers inbetween periods was talking about Fleury and Raycroft and admits the experience factor and age but basically said there is nothing wrong with Raycroft and infact it sounded to me like he was saying, hey, Fleury and these other kids are good but so is Raycroft. I concur, I read Dupes talking about Loungo as a possible guy the Broons could go after and posters here have opined for him but from what I see Raycroft is as good as any of these guys.

I guess everyone has their favorite like cars, woman, pizza and art but once these guys get that high number one pick attached its like a free pass for years. Finley of Nashville was still appearing on top 10 lists a couple of years after his top 10 selection and Blackburn is now in Hartford after being a similar high choice. You just don't know with these guys and there is so much getting caught up with draft position. Raycroft imo will be as good as some of these three- which ones I don't know.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:21 AM
tom_servo

You'd have to pony up Sergei Samsonov for Luongo, who's been spectacular for three straight seasons.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Stephen

Raycroft's a nice young goalie, but I think the likes of Fleury and Luongo will be much better. Maybe something like the difference between a Mike Comrie and an Ilya Kovalchuk.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:32 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
You'd have to pony up Sergei Samsonov for Luongo, who's been spectacular for three straight seasons.
i doubt samsonov would fetch luongo. the b's would have to pay more than that, but i'm happy with the goaltending in the system.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:54 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i doubt samsonov would fetch luongo. the b's would have to pay more than that, but i'm happy with the goaltending in the system.
I agree. I wouldn't give up Roberto Luongo for Sergei, as much as I like him. Franchise goaltenders are maybe 4-5 to a decade, and he's showing himself to be just that.

Plus, I still believe Toivonen has the potential to be that as well. Raycroft is just a placeholder.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:05 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Raycroft's a nice young goalie, but I think the likes of Fleury and Luongo will be much better. Maybe something like the difference between a Mike Comrie and an Ilya Kovalchuk.

Whos the red head?

Old
11-01-2003, 02:16 PM
DKH

talk about he kiss of death- one goal had been in when I posted it but Raycroft looked shakey on the third and I thought he had a chance to glove the second but not sure. I am pulling my post- lets get Luongo or Fleury.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:21 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
Well, even so.

There have been posts throughout HFBoards that imply the Luongo is "finally" becoming a good goaltender, when he's been great for the past two-plus seasons. Just like Giguere, who was the league's best-kept secret until he found the spotlight in the playoffs.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:25 PM
DKH

Quote:
Well, even so.

There have been posts throughout HFBoards that imply the Luongo is "finally" becoming a good goaltender, when he's been great for the past two-plus seasons. Just like Giguere, who was the league's best-kept secret until he found the spotlight in the playoffs.
I've always liked Luongo and thought MM's insanity day when he traded Luongo for Parrish and Kvasha and passed on Heatley was franchise altering and said it at time. My take is Raycroft is going to be very good and trading forwards like Joe or Sergei for a guy who may be in the same ballpark not worth it. I'd still like to see something done about the goalie equipment as there isn't much room anymore to find openings.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:26 PM
DJ Spinoza

^(pointing at tom_servo's post)

Yep, I agree. Good thing I was smart and took Giguere in a lot of fantasy league drafts last year.
Quote:
lets get Luongo or Fleury.
Good luck with that, I doubt either will be traded from their franchises right now.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:28 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I've always liked Luongo and thought MM's insanity day when he traded Luongo for Parrish and Kvasha and passed on Heatley was franchise altering and said it at time.
Heh. I think everyone said it at the time. There was an episode of Cool Shots last season that flashed back to the '00 draft. Milbury was talking to some other GM about the trade he'd just pulled, and the other GM's reaction was equivalent to a "WTF?!" It was funny.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:36 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
^(pointing at tom_servo's post)

Yep, I agree. Good thing I was smart and took Giguere in a lot of fantasy league drafts last year.

Good luck with that, I doubt either will be traded from their franchises right now.
I'm really kidding but both are certainly looking like future stars, err, present. Its amazing how many outstanding goaltenders there are- Giguere, Broduer, Khabibulin, Theodore, Luongo...you have all these kids in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Islanders...pretty amazing group and many I didn't even mention or remember.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:39 PM
DKH

Quote:
Heh. I think everyone said it at the time. There was an episode of Cool Shots last season that flashed back to the '00 draft. Milbury was talking to some other GM about the trade he'd just pulled, and the other GM's reaction was equivalent to a "WTF?!" It was funny.
Its like he was buzzed- and he just 'had to have' Raffi Torres; some stories are his desire to get infront of Boston and grab Torres caused this wild domino effect. He has shown no patience with his picks from Bertuzzi to Brewer on down. If I remember I'll go check out the Islanders drafting to see what insanity he has undertaken. All he had to do all these years was chill out- and we almost had Spezza, Chara and Scatchard or Izzy for Allison....

Old
11-01-2003, 02:44 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I'm really kidding but both are certainly looking like future stars, err, present. Its amazing how many outstanding goaltenders there are- Giguere, Broduer, Khabibulin, Theodore, Luongo...you have all these kids in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Islanders...pretty amazing group and many I didn't even mention or remember.
Yeah, good point. There are a lot of solid young goalies in the league it seems.

Raycroft looked pretty good today, and has apparently been pretty good all year.

Closed Thread