HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Koivu's eye is damaged, we should knock Williams out "cleanly"!

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2006, 08:16 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
um, yeah it is, a high stick is a high stick no matter what. You always have to be in control of your stick. Intent does not matter at all.
Well comme on now....If a player is shooting the puck...you cant expect him to not do it just in case someone decides to put his face at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old
04-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Nyclaus

I know exactly what this thread needs...a little TLC. Maestro!!!!!!!!

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown
And things seem hard or tough
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned
A sun that is the source of all our power
The sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour
Of the galaxy we call the Milky Way

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars
It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side
It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick
But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide
We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point
We go 'round every two hundred million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whiz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is
So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Old
04-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab
Didn't Hossa refuse to apologize Berard few years ago when he high sticks him in the eye?
Hossa visited and apologized to Berard right after the incident.

Link

There were plenty of articles that mentioned just how long that incident affected Hossa.

Old
04-27-2006, 09:16 PM
bag12day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
1- it would be really stupid to suspend an accidental high stick. If WIlliams deserve one, Komisarek, who made a high stick too, would deserve the same. it's just bad luck that it was on the eye.

2- It's an accident, apologize for what? Be sorry he missed his stick? Come on, hockey players NEVER apologize except in very serious and intentional moves ala Bertuzzi. Did Perezhougin apologized when he almost ended Primeau's career? No. Orpik did'nt even apologize for his hit on Cole.
You're right it takes a true man and a class player to apologize...
Quoted from ESPN:"I tried to cover Saku in front of the net, he came to the net and I obviously missed his stick and clipped him under the eye," said Williams, who said after Thursday's practice that he had left phone messages for Koivu but had not yet spoken to him. "There was no penalty on the play but I kept looking for him at the start of each period to see if he was back on the bench, but that wasn't so."

Hurricanes right winger Mark Recchi, also a close friend of Koivu's from their days as teammates in Montreal, gave Williams Koivu's phone number.

"I think everybody knows it was an accident and there was no ill-intent on Justin's part," Recchi said. "It was an unfortunate situation and Justin does feel very bad. We all just pray that Saku's eye is going to be OK and that he comes through this with flying colors as he has with all his other health things."

Habs I came to the board to say I hated what happened to Saku and how I wish him a speedy recovery. The NHL needs 100 Sakus and it's not fair for one player to have to endure what he has already...
That being said just suffice it to say I am appalled at the lack of class alot of fans here exhibit in their comments about Justin Williams and other Hurricanes. I "hosted" several dozen Habs fans at the RBC center during some tailgate parties the 02 playoffs and have often said they were by far the most polite and fun of any of the fans we had during the playoffs. I have also traveled to Montreal on business on several occasions and have always felt welcome there despite many not understanding my southern accent and although I am 1/2 French Cajun my understanding of the French Canadien is very limited. I do realize that not everyone here holds those classless thoughts and to those fans I apologize and you are welcome to stop by the RBC Center anytime to talk hockey and enjoy a beer with me and my friends.
Again my thoughts and prayers are with Saku, his family, and the Canadiens team for a speedy return.

Old
04-27-2006, 09:54 PM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
U guys sound like Flyers or Bruin fans. The guy didnt do it intentionally. Let's concentrate on winning the series, thats the best revenge.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Wacko thread. Any thought of going after Williams would be a distraction that would disrupt the game plan.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Clumsyhab

Can the mod delete this thread? I started it because of intense frustration after seeing the incident live at the Bell Centre.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:19 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96
thats not the way to do it.

you wanna make Williams pay for what he did.. book him a tee time
Amen... and nice to see someone keeping their head clear. Habs need to focus on winning the next game, not getting even... Saku will never have a chance to play again this season if we start running around looking for retribution... and from the interviews I've seen the guys all look pretty shaken.

It won't surprise me if we see a monumental collapse by the habs in game 4... we need several guys to step up BIG to fill the leadership and "no quit" void left when Saku isn't on the ice or we're toast.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:35 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag12day
You're right it takes a true man and a class player to apologize...
Quoted from ESPN:"I tried to cover Saku in front of the net, he came to the net and I obviously missed his stick and clipped him under the eye," said Williams, who said after Thursday's practice that he had left phone messages for Koivu but had not yet spoken to him. "There was no penalty on the play but I kept looking for him at the start of each period to see if he was back on the bench, but that wasn't so."

Hurricanes right winger Mark Recchi, also a close friend of Koivu's from their days as teammates in Montreal, gave Williams Koivu's phone number.

"I think everybody knows it was an accident and there was no ill-intent on Justin's part," Recchi said. "It was an unfortunate situation and Justin does feel very bad. We all just pray that Saku's eye is going to be OK and that he comes through this with flying colors as he has with all his other health things."

Habs I came to the board to say I hated what happened to Saku and how I wish him a speedy recovery. The NHL needs 100 Sakus and it's not fair for one player to have to endure what he has already...
That being said just suffice it to say I am appalled at the lack of class alot of fans here exhibit in their comments about Justin Williams and other Hurricanes. I "hosted" several dozen Habs fans at the RBC center during some tailgate parties the 02 playoffs and have often said they were by far the most polite and fun of any of the fans we had during the playoffs. I have also traveled to Montreal on business on several occasions and have always felt welcome there despite many not understanding my southern accent and although I am 1/2 French Cajun my understanding of the French Canadien is very limited. I do realize that not everyone here holds those classless thoughts and to those fans I apologize and you are welcome to stop by the RBC Center anytime to talk hockey and enjoy a beer with me and my friends.
Again my thoughts and prayers are with Saku, his family, and the Canadiens team for a speedy return.
Hey mate, I wouldn't take the expressions of anger and retribution too seriously... I think we're all a little shocked to see Saku going through another tough fight for his health and future hockey career. Because no penalty was called there's the lingering feeling that Saku took one for the team without the league backing him up and I think that the non-call is probably what has us all most upset and pondering some way to "even the score". We feel like we got shafted by the refs and the cornerstone of our franchise has been ripped away from us without so much as an admission by the league that the refs messed up.

The other thing that gets me (and I know it's true but irrational but it still chafes) is that everywhere you read about the high stick it is prefaced with "accidental"... almost like everyone is letting Williams off the hook. Part of me wants to read "irresponsible" where the press is calling this "accidental". Yes, it was an accident but that doesn't excuse the action and doesn't mean that a Williams should get to take his next shift while Saku is rushed to the hospital... it wrankles, and chafes, and doesn't sit well and the only way to get that feeling out is to vent. We're just like the habs players in the locker room after the game... we just don't understand how it could not have been called.

While we're all shocked and/or pissed, I don't think anyone truly wants to see Williams in Saku's shoes. Quite frankly, I think if it did happen intentionally we'd all be pretty ashamed of the player that does it. Lets just hope for a good clean, fast-skating series with no more injuries from this point onwards.

Old
04-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

remember when Mclaren cheapshotted Zednik? The team rallied and won the remaining 2 games in the series. I hope the team does the same here.

Old
04-28-2006, 01:59 AM
crakced

I don't ussually post, I mostly just use this board to learn and listen because most of your guys are closer and have good information. But I didn't mean to gas the flames. I knew ther would be no suspension. Is tis good to hear Williams did try to contact Koivu, and I take back my comments about him before.

Anyhow, let's go Habs, and hopefully Kost is ready to go!

Old
04-28-2006, 04:31 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
In my playing days I would have taken him out cleanly. Even if it was not something long lasting, but a nice hard hit.

Old
04-28-2006, 07:58 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

focus on the prize, not revenge.
If you focus on your objectives and visualise winning, you will work towards the goal.

Old
04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan
focus on the prize, not revenge.
If you focus on your objectives and visualise winning, you will work towards the goal.
Wow, that sounds like L. Ron Hubbard. scary.

Old
04-28-2006, 08:38 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I think cooler heads are prevailing on these teams. Gainey and the Habs players are handling this unfortunate event with class and dignity. Sure, they're mad that it happened but they realize it was not intentional. Gainey has gained a lot of respect from me for his reaction. Instead of ranting and raving about the refs and accusing Williams of goonery, he calmly releases information about Koivu's condition and focuses on the task at hand, which is game # 4. I hope the series remains as clean and exciting as it has been.

Closed Thread