HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick Hitch's Replacement

Old
04-13-2006, 09:06 PM
donelikedinner

vCash: 500
Pick Hitch's Replacement

who would you like to see behind the bench, and be realistic, no bowman's or coaches currently under contract.

i'd love to see a Sutter barking orders, but i don't know if any of them would be available

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Lupul*

Steve Stirling

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Brent Sutter. I won't accept anything less.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 09:53 PM
sansan

Andy Murray

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
He's not getting fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
Andy Murray

Only if you want Carter, Umberger and Richards on the 4th line

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Brent Sutter. I won't accept anything less.
Is that the Sutter that coaches the Canadian World Junior team? If so, yes

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Is that the Sutter that coaches the Canadian World Junior team? If so, yes
Yes, that's him.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I don't want a different coach, I want the players to understand the concept of team defense once in a while. Bunch of lazy schmucks.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I'd like Ted Nolan. Everywhere he has gone he has been a winner, and he instills a competitive spirit in his teams, but he would never get along with Clarke I think.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 10:48 PM
goodrev

i thought to myself while watching the game tonight, i wonder if anyone else misses watching hitch's defensive sit on the puck style of hockey, then i realized that i really didnt miss it. the fact that the team didnt look like a joke while they were doing it, and in that sense i miss it and now they look awful. i am calling this right now, this team has far too little heart to get anywhere past the first round. esche played his heart out tonight, but again a lack of effort and simply being outworked by the opposition lost us yet another game... welcome to flyers 2006

i dont want a change in coach next season i want a change in personell mainly speaking i am tired of watching rathje's slowness allow the other team to score, i am also tired of watching savage go out and waste shift after shift, scoring chance after scoring chance, stevenson is a joke, handzus is good on the PK and with the linemates he gets stuck with thats about all he is good for. They waste mike richards away with brashear but really who else can we play him with? our best line of late of umberger-carter-dimatrakos who was a fantastic aquisition at the TD suprisingly so gets under 13 minutes a game on average and nedved has his good shifts and his bad shifts, unfortunately while gagne and knuble work their tails off with the puck he likes to pass it to center ice or lose it on the boards so he is a very inconsistent player and it goes from shift to shift you never know what you are getting. As for the great peter forseberg he is great but cant stick in the lineup for more than a week without spraining his shoulder while shaving or having a collapsed lung because he choked on his oatmeal. overall i am tired of the lack of effort they give, in seasons past these guys would give it all even when they were playingn keep it away hockey, players like kapanen who USED to play it very well now look sorely out of place and sloppy every time they are in the defensive zone, is there a problem with our PK? yes, is that coaching? yes, they lack ALL confidence on PK and let the PP do whatever they want with the puck, dont attack it at all and that is going to be the death of us alltogether, the lack of effort, lack of pressure, lack of winning

i am sorry to get off topic but i am tired of watching this team every game because honestly they are a joke because as we all know they are so much better than this

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 11:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Would they promote John Stevens?

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 11:26 PM
jiggs 10

A piece of wood could do what this asspony does, so it doesn't really matter. Defensive hockey is for coaches who are scared to win games. If you don't teach your players to try to SCORE to WIN, you might as well go back to Mites. This means YOU , Hitchcock! You are trying to RUIN hockey by employing terrible players in defensive roles in the pursuit of winning a few games. Hockey is won by OUTSCORING the other team! To heck with defense! If you recruit better players, you will win. End of story. Go away, Hitch!!!!!!!!!!

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 12:01 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
A piece of wood could do what this asspony does, so it doesn't really matter. Defensive hockey is for coaches who are scared to win games. If you don't teach your players to try to SCORE to WIN, you might as well go back to Mites. This means YOU , Hitchcock! You are trying to RUIN hockey by employing terrible players in defensive roles in the pursuit of winning a few games. Hockey is won by OUTSCORING the other team! To heck with defense! If you recruit better players, you will win. End of story. Go away, Hitch!!!!!!!!!!
Take a quick look and our offensive and defensive numbers and then go buy a clue.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 12:04 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
you have no clue what you are talking about

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 12:07 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

I wouldn't mind Paul Maurice (Toronto Marlies, Carolina Hurricanes)...if that's possible.

darn, tied with jersey (actually i think i might want to play the rags instead of buffalo)

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Killer Z

Uh, hey guys, Oiler fan here, are some of you serious??? Cause if you are, please please please, release your coach so we can sign him in the offseason! Hitch is a great coach, probably one of the best in the game right now.

Killer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Brad*

I'll never understand the Philadelphia fan's obsession with running coaches out of town. Hitchcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL. Period. If the Flyers fail to win the Stanley Cup, perhaps it is time we consider it to be the fault of the players, instead of taking the easy way out and blaming the coach? After all, it doesn't matter how hard they practice, how good their scheme is, or how motivational his speeches are, it's ultimately the players who have to execute on the ice. If they fail to succeed, the blame lays with them. Hitchcock has proven to be a winning coach at every level of hockey he has been at. This is nonsense.

Brad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 01:43 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'll never understand the Philadelphia fan's obsession with running coaches out of town. Hitchcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL. Period. If the Flyers fail to win the Stanley Cup, perhaps it is time we consider it to be the fault of the players, instead of taking the easy way out and blaming the coach? After all, it doesn't matter how hard they practice, how good their scheme is, or how motivational his speeches are, it's ultimately the players who have to execute on the ice. If they fail to succeed, the blame lays with them. Hitchcock has proven to be a winning coach at every level of hockey he has been at. This is nonsense.
I understand what you're saying, but his "play not to lose" style, sitting on leads, playing un aggressively just isn't cutting it, but that's his style

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 02:20 AM
capn89*

I never liked seeing coaches run out of town, but I wouldn't mind seeing Hitch gone. His style is old school, and isn't extremely fun to watch, nor does it fit very well in what is supposed to be a more wide open game. Who really knows, though. I've never seen such an incosistant flyers team.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 02:26 AM
frozenrubber

Quick Observation

First of all, when Hitchcock was available a few summers back, I led the bring Ken Hitchcock to NYC campaign. Only a select hand few of coaches can boast the hockey resume he's assembled.

However, in seeing and hearing more from him while in the Eastern Conference, the aura has rubbed off quite a bit. First of all, he's made no secret that he sees this Flyers team winning 2-1 games. That is his simple blueprint. No doubt, many contests in the NHL are 1 goal games. But such a strategy likens best to football's "prevent" defensive style. While essentially trying to not give up anything, you first NEED to win the game.

Compound this with the Flyers lack of consistency this year. I don't know if I've witnessed a more streaky team of late. Hitchcock's conservative strategy is torn to hell if the Flyers quickly find themselves in a 2-0 deficit.

It's unclear how much Ken is to blame. When struggling, it's no secret that Hitchcock does not spare his players some tongue. The loss of a heart and soul leader in Primeau to translate Hitchcock's barbs into enthusiastic play is most likely devastating.

As a Ranger fan, I shared an empathetic cringe when you picked up a player like Nedved. Petr oozes natural talent and ability, but is an utter black hole of heart and leadership. I will throw you one thing, if your salvation is anyone, it is Mike Richards. Now there is a player I'm completely envious of. If Hitchcock and the Flyers are going to make waves this season, it will come from Richards and not the like of Nedved/Savage. Best of luck.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 02:30 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

You know something, I'm going to give Hitch the benefit of the doubt here and I say we need to keep him here another year. Fact of the matter is that there really isn't any other better coaches out there. I think he needs to try to come up with a more modern offensive tempo system. I'm watching the players and they're just tired of the same old system. There's no room for compromise and that's something Hitch needs to do.

You also can't blame him if the players are choking under pressure. We have more than adequate leadership here, so they should be employing their leadership capabilities and help this team pull out of the doldrums. Hitch can only do so much. I point my finger more at Hatcher and his lazy attitude as to why this team is falling apart. He is NO leader. Period. I'm also rather disappointed that no other player on the team stepped forward to be that leader when Primeau went down. That's rather disheartening. This was an opportune time for someone to be a leader this team needs and no stepped up. That's disheartening.

I really hope that this summer, Clarke can find someone who brings in a wealth of leadership to help lead this team whenever any of the captains go down. I also think there might be a bit of a mutiny developing and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hatcher is behind that. I'll say this. I hate Hitch, but he doesn't deserve this fate. It's definitely not his fault the team is choking. This is a gutless and leaderless team. Maybe it's time that we go with a very young lineup and use guys like Richards and Carter and Pitkanen as leaders instead.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Steve L*

If the playoff games arent agressive and intense, he has to go. Half the time the Flyers look like they dont care, they regularly blow leads and seem happy to scrape 1 goal wins even against terrible teams.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 03:38 AM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Clarke doing the GM + Coach.

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 05:16 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Actually, if there was one replacement out there who I would consider bringing onboard, and I know I'm going to get eaten alive for this, but I'd have to go with Pat Quinn. Now, before everyone jumps all over this, take a look at Quinn and the work he's done. Face it, the man is a good coach. He's not a great GM, but he's a good coach and he really knows how to get the best out of players. I think of the job he could do with guys like Carter, Richards, Umberger, Potulny, Pitkanen, Meyer, etc....and I think they could really flourish under him.

His record is pretty decent as a head coach as well. I could see him really bringing a different approach than what Hitch has brought onboard. Yes, we needed the defensive discipline and we needed a stern task master. However, that approach isn't working anymore and I don't see Hitch becoming a coach that is willing to compromise at all in order to move ahead. He's one of those guys who is hell bent on having his way and only his way. I also read something that Jacques Martin might be on his way out in Florida due to butting heads with Keenan. Maybe Jacques could come here. Wait, scratch that. He's the guy that nearly ruined Spezza. He'd kill Carter. So yeah, Pat Quinn, minus the Keith Actons and the Rick Leys of his coaching staff. Have Terry Murray and Wayne Flemming as the assistants still.

Or, if I were to take someone from junior, Stan Butler or Peter DeBoer might be good coaches to look at.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Steve L*

Quinn is one of the worst coaches in the league, hes proven that in a cap world where he can no longer build a team by outspending everyone.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote