HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending controversy?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 09:31 PM
Martin

vCash: 500
Goaltending controversy?

I have Hackett in my pool, and it's really starting to piss me off how Esche is more or less splitting things 50-50 with Hackett. After his two shutouts to start off the season, I figured he might cement himself as #1!

Is some goaltending controversy about to erupt (re: should I trade to get Esche in my pool a.s.a.p) or should I just stick it out with Hackett?

Old
11-01-2003, 03:05 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
I have Hackett in my pool, and it's really starting to piss me off how Esche is more or less splitting things 50-50 with Hackett. After his two shutouts to start off the season, I figured he might cement himself as #1!

Is some goaltending controversy about to erupt (re: should I trade to get Esche in my pool a.s.a.p) or should I just stick it out with Hackett?
I think Esche starting the Hall of fame game today gives you an idea of where things stand now but it could also flip back to Hackett in the future.

Old
11-01-2003, 03:31 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:

Screw your pool.

Hackett hasn't been good since his two shutouts. He doesn't deserve to get even 50% of the starts right now.

He's a career journeyman who's had a lot of ups and downs in his career. Esche at least has a chance to be good although I wouldn't put money on it.

If Hackett cemented himself as the #1 right now someone should cement Hitch's feet and throw him off a bridge.

Old
11-01-2003, 03:38 AM
Gagne2433

Send a message via AIM to Gagne2433
I see something like the Vanbezbrook/Boucher goalie situation from about 4 or 5 years ago. Flyers go out and sign the Beezer, but Boucher is ultimately the one that wins the job late in the year.

I believe that's how it went down if my memory serves me correctly.

Esche will be this team's starter come playoffs....

Old
11-01-2003, 06:05 AM
panayiotis

no controversy

They are both number 2 goalies. Great job Boobie!

Old
11-01-2003, 06:23 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
They are both number 2 goalies. Great job Boobie!
Yea... I didn't get the Hackett signing. It almost seemed like he was doing something just to do something. Sure would have worked out better for you guys had Joseph ended up there.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:51 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Yea... I didn't get the Hackett signing. It almost seemed like he was doing something just to do something. Sure would have worked out better for you guys had Joseph ended up there.
I'm with you when you say you don't get the Hackett signing. I'm still questioning why Clarkie would go out and give him a 2 year deal with a NTC when he was ready to hang up the pads.
I only would take Joseph at a lower salary though. $8 mil' is too much for any one player these days with the upcoming change in the CBA and a probably salary cap of some sort. We already have the wonkiest payscale in the NHL with Leclair at $9 mil and Preems still making $5 mil' to be a 3rd line checking centre. Having Joseph doesn't guarantee us a Cup any more than Esche/Hackett does. If this team plays without a killer instinct, (ie the Debbies game, the Pens game early in the season, etc) we won't be anywhere close to Cup contention in June, regardless of who's in between the pipes.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Hack Up has struggled a lot since his 2 shutouts. He has been very inconsistent...
How can Clarkie can think just a second that this goalie can win a cup for us????

Old
11-01-2003, 08:54 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
you can't have a guy giving up 3-4 goals a night and expect to do well in the season...

Does anyone know if Parent would come out of retirement to play one more year?

Old
11-01-2003, 09:27 AM
RoDu

bring back Soderstrom!!!

Old
11-01-2003, 09:47 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

going into the season i think most people knew that goaltending duties would end up being split down the middle. it's really not that much of a surprise. hey, as long as we get the win i don't give a cr*p who's in nets.

go flyers go!

Old
11-01-2003, 10:46 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Having Joseph doesn't guarantee us a Cup any more than Esche/Hackett does.
He may not guarantee it, but he certainly would improve their chances. Joseph's reputation as a playoff choker is completely blown out of proportion. It was all started by foolish Blues fans 10 years ago that felt Joseph should have been able to win a Cup with a very mediocre roster in front of him.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:17 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:

Hitch has always maintained that the two would get more or less equal time until about december, when he would start playing one more.

Personally, I feel the two are about a wash. Both are inconsistent.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:31 PM
blah

I saw some highlights and Bulin was standing on his head for the Bolts. How many arms and legs would Khabi cost?

Old
11-01-2003, 01:53 PM
PF

Both of each most likely.

Old
11-01-2003, 03:05 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I'll let you in on a little secret, Cujo's done, especially with his astronomical salary. a team would be stupid to pay him even half his salery to play. IMO, Joseph wouldn't be any better than what we already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I saw some highlights and Bulin was standing on his head for the Bolts. How many arms and legs would Khabi cost?
the Bolts aren't stupid enough to trade him and even if they were, we would have to gut our team to get him.

we are 10 games into the season so to say that Hackett is a bum and Esche is the starter is a little premature. Hackett has looked shaky in his last couple of starts but he could turn it around. Esche has looked real solid and should start until things change.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:12 PM
blah

Um everytime available goalies comes up Bulin's name is one of the first named.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:51 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Um everytime available goalies comes up Bulin's name is one of the first named.
when (since being with Tampa) has Khabibulin ever been available?
I hear alot of talk about going out a trading for him but you need 2 teams to trade and Tampa doesn't seem to be the least bit interested in trading him. it would be great to ge Brouder too but I have a better shot at playing net for the Flyers then they do of getting Brouder.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:58 PM
blah

Reliable newsources such as ESPN. lol. Everytime goalies come up they rattle off names like Burke, Khabi, Dafoe, CuJo, etc as available.

Old
11-01-2003, 05:36 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Reliable newsources such as ESPN. lol. Everytime goalies come up they rattle off names like Burke, Khabi, Dafoe, CuJo, etc as available.
lol, yeah, everyone is trading them except for the teams they play for.

Closed Thread