If the Captain keeps up this whining...

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 11:48 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
If the Captain keeps up this whining...

..He'll need to change his jersey number to 66. C'mon Joe, fight through some of that clutching and grabbing. I see Bertuzzi, Forsberg and others do it game in and game out....Turn up the intensity some, please.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
..He'll need to change his jersey number to 66. C'mon Joe, fight through some of that clutching and grabbing. I see Bertuzzi, Forsberg and others do it game in and game out....Turn up the intensity some, please.
WBC, if you watch Forsbeg and Bert you will also notice they are prone to snapping a bit...at both the refs and the defender. IMO the league needs to start calling all of this clutching and grabbing. On the other hand Joe and his line has to stop becoming predictable. And Murray needs to step up his play signifcantly. He, more than Thornton is the real problem with this offense.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:13 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
WBC, if you watch Forsbeg and Bert you will also notice they are prone to snapping a bit...at both the refs and the defender. IMO the league needs to start calling all of this clutching and grabbing. On the other hand Joe and his line has to stop becoming predictable. And Murray needs to step up his play signifcantly. He, more than Thornton is the real problem with this offense.

It's not so much the snapping, it's the whining, plus Bert and Forsberg still get it done somehow....I agree the officials have been sucking....Murray does need to step up. Not sure what's going on with him. Maybe everyone has caught on. Joe will ALWAYS pull up at the blueline, and always goes behind the net after he dishes it off.....

Old
11-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
It's not so much the snapping, it's the whining, plus Bert and Forsberg still get it done somehow....I agree the officials have been sucking....Murray does need to step up. Not sure what's going on with him. Maybe everyone has caught on. Joe will ALWAYS pull up at the blueline, and always goes behind the net after he dishes it off.....
Forsberg and Bert get it done but Joe doesnt? Am I reading that right?

Old
11-01-2003, 02:21 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I think its safe to say Joe aint into bondage....seriously though, if he's going to be held, tackled, tied up he's going to have to get over it. That line hinges on Joe- as Joe goes so go the Broons.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Ortdogg

Quote:
It's not so much the snapping, it's the whining, plus Bert and Forsberg still get it done somehow.....

what league do you watch? you obviously never watch canuck games. i live in BC, i see every canuck game. bertuzzi looses his temper more often than not, he is always whinnig, or complaining about eveything, even offsides!!

as for saying that he still gets it done, do you realize (its big time talk here on all local news stations) betuzzi only has 1 goal this year and he only has 6 goals in his last 25 games? he had only 2 goals in the playoffs last year and he had 60 pim!!.......does that sound like a guy who playes through it? no, and neither does forsberg. he hits the ground alot, he may not be a whinner, but he dosent always keep his cool, he looses it alot. bertuzzi and thornton are very similar, they hate being held and grabbed but they wont go down, forsberg will take a dive to draw a penalty.

thornton has 12 pts this year, forsberg 15 and bertuzzi 1g 7a for 8 pts.

compared to these players joe is getting it done

Old
11-01-2003, 04:10 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrtDogg19
what league do you watch? you obviously never watch canuck games. i live in BC, i see every canuck game. bertuzzi looses his temper more often than not, he is always whinnig, or complaining about eveything, even offsides!!

as for saying that he still gets it done, do you realize (its big time talk here on all local news stations) betuzzi only has 1 goal this year and he only has 6 goals in his last 25 games? he had only 2 goals in the playoffs last year and he had 60 pim!!.......does that sound like a guy who playes through it? no, and neither does forsberg. he hits the ground alot, he may not be a whinner, but he dosent always keep his cool, he looses it alot. bertuzzi and thornton are very similar, they hate being held and grabbed but they wont go down, forsberg will take a dive to draw a penalty.

thornton has 12 pts this year, forsberg 15 and bertuzzi 1g 7a for 8 pts.

compared to these players joe is getting it done
I don't read many quotes after the game about these guys whining...That's what I mean....

Old
11-01-2003, 06:00 PM
misterjaggers

Thornton should borrow a page from Forsberg's gamebook. He needs to work on his penalty-drawing. If Joe's being tackled, then he needs to fall down and complain when nothings called because half of the refs won't make the right call unless the s**t is rubbed in their faces.

Falling down and complaining is usually a better strategy than immediately retaliating. Why give the opponent a powerplay?

At the same time, I wish that Sully would skate McCarthy occasionally on the first line...

Old
11-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Neely4Ever

Quote:
C'mon..........the ref had his head up his @ss this after noon. I saw Joe get pitchforked & mauled with no call. I'm glad he did something!
This is the type of situation you needed Stock to go out and agitate or Mcarthy to throw down. The B's went to sleep when Mario got hurt & didn't return.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I think its safe to say Joe aint into bondage....seriously though, if he's going to be held, tackled, tied up he's going to have to get over it. That line hinges on Joe- as Joe goes so go the Broons.
hey, i enjoy reading your thoughts normally. but what's with that? "if he's going to be held, tackled, tied up he's going to have to get over it?" Why the #$#@ should he have to 'get over it'. it's calls that are CONSTANTLY being called against US...yet WE should just bend over and take it? BS...the league needs to smarten up. i dont think any player i've seen "takes it" like joe does...but unfortunately our team hurts because HE DONT WHINE, *****, DIVE...where someone got that idea from i dont know. he REFUSES to go down, takes matters into his own hands RATHER THEN *****ES. the officials are pansy a$$ed ba$tards who play to the crowd and it's a farce most times IMO. what penalty call today was there when the commentators said "They never even had their hand up until a minute later. The crowd called that one". officiating blew bigtime today...pittsburgh and montreal...play in either place and expect the very worse. it's like the NESN guys were saying "we just want CONSISTENCY". they can hold the hell outta joe all they want...or murray...knuble...but if we look at 'player x' the wrong way its a "unsportsmanlike" penalty. i mean honestly...think about it this way...we're winning and controlling the game all the way 2-0...and yet we're the ones taking the penalties??? isnt is supposed to be the team thats on it's heals that takes the majority of the calls? let me just add that 9 out of 10 times joe takes a penalty it's because someone on the other $#@#ing team SHOULD'VE taken one but it was'nt called and he took matters into his own hands.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:35 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Just to keep things in perspective, Joe's got a lot of pressure on him...he's 24 and still coming into his own, yet he's asked to carry the team with his play, attitude and example.

Don't forget the Pens played an aggressive, physical style, which doesn't make it easy especially when they're gunning for a guy like Joe.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:24 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

The officiating does need to get consistent. Wasn't there also a time where Joe was slashed today, and he was looking at his fingers/hand?

Joe's strength probably works against him most of the time (for penalties) because he keeps skating through the clutches and grabs and holds. He's just that type of player. He's just not gonna fall down because he feels a hold, he's still going to try to keep the play going. The refs really need to start recognizing this or it is going to be an awfully long season.

Old
11-02-2003, 02:17 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I'm glad Thornton keeps it honest out there... as much as I admire Forsberg and his skill, the one part of his game that I've never liked was his propensity to forget that he's playing ice hockey and not high board diving; that's the reason why he's called Sir Flops-A-Lot.

I also don't mind him venting his frustrations to the media, again, he's being honest. If the refs and the league don't like one the brightest stars in the league mouthing off in public about poor or non calls, than do something to change the current state of affairs on the ice (clutching,slashing, etc etc) instead of going the quick and easy route of a fine.

I do also agree with Sully, Thornton has to channel his anger at the non-calls in a different way besides physical retaliation in the last period of a close game. Use that anger to sharpen your killer instinct in helping the team finish a game...

Old
11-02-2003, 04:34 AM
Pielsman

<<<Thornton should borrow a page from Forsberg's gamebook. He needs to work on his penalty-drawing. If Joe's being tackled, then he needs to fall down and complain when nothings called because half of the refs won't make the right call unless the s**t is rubbed in their faces.
-from Misterjaggers
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate to say it, but I agree that Joe will need to sharpen up his "penalty drawing skills" if the ref's dont get thier heads out of thier rear ends, and I dont see that happening.

I dont think he needs to radically change his game, but "helping out" a hook or grab now and then is no sin, imo.

With that said, the ref's were really lousy during the Pens game. And was it just me, or did the ice look almost as bad as the ref's ? -Piels

Old
11-02-2003, 07:12 AM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely4Ever
C'mon..........the ref had his head up his @ss this after noon. I saw Joe get pitchforked & mauled with no call. I'm glad he did something!
This is the type of situation you needed Stock to go out and agitate or Mcarthy to throw down. The B's went to sleep when Mario got hurt & didn't return.

Hey Bud lets use one of JOHNNY V analogy

Say one day I decide to kidnap JOSE THEODORE, and hold him down my cellar until the B'S beat the Habs in a playoff series. Now I get caught and the judge sends me to the junction for a dime, Now some big animal is chasing around the shower.What do I do? I throw down and pull his eye's out. or let him have
his way with me.I don't go around looking for a guy to fight my battles or whining to the guards or ref's. Now lets get back to JOE, he has to drop his gloves and ragdoll someone to send a message, like Cam Neely. One player summed Cam up if you fought him he'd try to kill you... He had murder in his eye's......

Old
11-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

to JohnnyV!

Excellent anology.

Seriously, I was happy to see him play with passion for a change. Had the Bruins won, everyone would have loved Rudolph, I mean Joe.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:33 AM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
to JohnnyV!

Excellent anology.

Seriously, I was happy to see him play with passion for a change. Had the Bruins won, everyone would have loved Rudolph, I mean Joe.

Hey My Lady Thanks for the spelling lesson anology...

Old
11-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Mizral

Bertuzzi's first 10 games of this season were utter crap. Game 11 was his 'breakout' game.

Thornton hasn't played well, but he's putting up points, at least. I'd be more worried about Glen Murray at the moment...

Old
11-02-2003, 09:01 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
Hey My Lady Thanks for the spelling lesson anology...
I'll confess, I forget how to spell it!

Old
11-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Ortdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Bertuzzi's first 10 games of this season were utter crap. Game 11 was his 'breakout' game.

Thornton hasn't played well, but he's putting up points, at least. I'd be more worried about Glen Murray at the moment...

i agree 100% joe would be leading the league if murray could score or produce in some way

the pressure is on the wrong guy here

Old
11-02-2003, 10:42 AM
hardbody77

thornton is sooo talented and sooo good that he should have some1 like mccarthy on the wing riding shotgun,anyone looks at joe wrong-he gets his head bashed in. remember gretzky and semenko ? big deal u get a instigator penalty - he`ll make up for it with all the extra skating room for him to utilize his talents-which can be dominate at times.

Old
11-02-2003, 11:31 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Now lets get back to JOE, he has to drop his gloves and ragdoll someone to send a message, like Cam Neely. One player summed Cam up if you fought him he'd try to kill you... He had murder in his eye's......
But, Johnny, if he does drop the gloves that is five minutes in the box, which will make some people ***** about him not being able to help us when he is in the penalty box. The guy can't win!

Old
11-02-2003, 11:32 AM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian
I'll confess, I forget how to spell it!

My Lady, we may have to call on the great one Gee Wally for help, I think you may be right...

Old
11-02-2003, 11:41 AM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21
But, Johnny, if he does drop the gloves that is five minutes in the box, which will make some people ***** about him not being able to help us when he is in the penalty box. The guy can't win!

Well how did CAM NEELY win ....

Old
11-02-2003, 11:43 AM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Well how did CAM NEELY win ....
Simple. The Internet wasn't around then.

Closed Thread