HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Official GameThread: Anaheim vs Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 10:20 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Official GameThread: Anaheim vs Islanders

Everyone please feel free to add in the previews as posted for the game on Saturday.

Martin Gerber has had a very good week in goal and helped turn things around for the Ducks. Frow what little I saw against the Rangers they were not playing the trap very well and allowed them several quality chances and were allowed to control the puck deep in the offensive zone.

Keith Carney did not play in that game and was rumored to be close to returning.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
ohhhh....sticky's are red. Great...now my ADD's gonna kick in :p Anyways...onto the preview!!!

http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/pregame.html

Afternoon Against Anaheim (1:00 PM)
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim vs. New York Islanders (FSNY, 1050 ESPN Radio)

(Nov. 1) The Islanders' season has begun with some big wins and rough losses. Their most recent game Wednesday night vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins managed to be both, as the Isles watched a 2-0 lead devolve into a 4-2 deficit, before coming back strong to tie things up.
http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/insider.html

The Insider: The Book On The Ducks
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim vs. New York Islanders

Between the Pipes
Some of the shine is off last year's golden boy, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who started the year 0-4-0. And with one win in his last six games, he's not exactly the apple of coach Mike Babcock's eye either, it would seem. Backup Martin Gerber's received the nod in the last three games, and is undefeated in his last four starts, allowing just four goals in that span. Gerber is expected to play Saturday.
http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/scoop.html

The Scoop: Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

(Nov. 1) The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are in the midst of a six game road trip and their next stop is at Nassau to take on the New York Islanders. So far they're a perfect 2-0 with victories over the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals. The Ducks are currently on a three-game unbeaten streak as they head to the Island to take on the second place Islanders.
Well there ya go!! Should be a pretty good game tomorrow afternoon. Let's hope the Isles decide to show a little more inspirational effort than Weds. nite in Pittsburgh and hopefully that determination they showed in the final 10 minutes could carry over to the Coliseum. Take care and enjoy the game!!!

~TL

Old
11-01-2003, 05:16 AM
CREW99AW

Sterling challenged his team's leaders to step up and lead.
Let's see how Aucoin,Peca and Snow respond to the challenge.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:32 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Sterling challenged his team's leaders to step up and lead.
Let's see how Aucoin,Peca and Snow respond to the challenge.
i hope snow responds by clapping from the bench!

Old
11-01-2003, 08:16 AM
fisby

Why sit Boots? Bad play or bad mistakes. I can't understand

Old
11-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Tom Liodice

END OF PERIOD 1

Seems like a familiar start from last Weds against Pittsburgh. The first 10 minutes or so seemed almost like a feeling out process, as they looked like they were getting used to a day game. Nifty little goal by Blake there, banking it off of Gerber. Speaking of Blake, that Blake-Bates-Hunter line has been doing pretty damn well so far. I can't say enough good things about that Oleg Kvasha goal. Picture-perfect passing on a line that seems to get better every game. Hopefully they can sustain the same good pressure into the second period, here's the scorecard....

END OF PERIOD 1
MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM - 0
NEW YORK ISLANDERS - 2

SCORING
Period 1: NYI, Blake 4 (Hunter, Aucoin), 4:20; NYI, Kvasha 3 (Czerkawski, Hamrlik) - PP, 16:34

PENALTIES
Period 1: ANA, Fedorov (Obstruction Hooking), 5:11; NYI, Weimer (Hooking), 7:06; ANA, Niedermayer (Obstruction Interference), 15:27; NYI, Blake (Goaltender Interference), 17:08

SHOTS ON GOAL
ANA - 7
NYI - 5

GOALTENDING
ANA - Gerber (5 shots, 3 saves)
NYI - DiPietro (7 shots, 7 saves)

Old
11-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Tom Liodice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisby
Why sit Boots? Bad play or bad mistakes. I can't understand
Most likely to get Martinek some playing time

Old
11-01-2003, 09:12 AM

YASHIN!!

Gerber pulled for Giggy.

Woo!!!!

3 - 0 Isles!

Old
11-01-2003, 09:16 AM
vinrock12

i cant watch nuttin....

[QUOTE=19]YASHIN!!

Gerber pulled for Giggy.

Woo!!!!

the fsny feed keeps stopping.....please guys help me ....whats wrong..

Old
11-01-2003, 09:40 AM
fisby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
Most likely to get Martinek some playing time
why don't send him to the tigers for ice time?

Old
11-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Tom Liodice

END OF PERIOD 2

Seems like almost a wait-and-see type game for both teams in the second period, with both teams getting some good scoring chances on some odd man rushes. the refs seem to have a nice little affinity for the penalties here, as they sure called some stupid ones. Cairns getting a delay of game penalty for accidentally knocking the net off??? But credit the refs for giving a penalty to the wrong man as they sent Kvasha to the sinbin on a Yashin interference, which culminates with a Yashin goal on a 2-on-1 with Czerkawski. Isles are playing smart so far, even though Anaheim has started to get their game back. Here's the scorecard so far...

END OF PERIOD 2
MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM - 1
NEW YORK ISLANDERS - 3

SCORING
Period 1: NYI, Blake 4 (Hunter, Aucoin), 4:20; NYI, Kvasha 3 (Czerkawski, Hamrlik) - PP, 16:34
Period 2: NYI, Yashin 4 (Czerkawski, Aucoin), 4:50; ANA, Sykora 4 (McDonald, Prospal) - PP, 6:06

PENALTIES
Period 1: ANA, Fedorov (Obstruction Hooking), 5:11; NYI, Weimer (Hooking), 7:06; ANA, Niedermayer (Obstruction Interference), 15:27; NYI, Blake (Goaltender Interference), 17:08
Period 2: ANA, Chistov (Interference), 3:17; NYI, Kvasha (Interference), 4:18; NYI, Cairns (Delay of Game), 7:08; ANA, Johnson (Tripping), 13:09

SHOTS ON GOAL
ANA - 7 - 7
NYI - 5 - 8

GOALTENDING
ANA - Gerber (8 shots, 5 saves); Giguere (5 shots, 5 saves)
NYI - DiPietro (14 shots, 13 saves)

Old
11-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

the islanders are very good. you guys should be excited because this team can go a long way this season

Old
11-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Tom Liodice

END OF GAME

An outstanding and very smart effort by the Islanders today. This was a classic case of the Isles system when it's working correctly. Everyone plays smart and everyone helps out everyone. Good games all around by everyone, most notably the line of Blake-Bates-Hunter. Those guys seemed to be working hard all game and generated a helluva lot of good scoring chances. Ricky had a strong game, although not tested much. So here we go for the final socrecard of the game...

FINAL SCORE
MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM - 1
NEW YORK ISLANDERS - 4

SCORING
Period 2: NYI, Yashin 4 (Czerkawski, Aucoin), 4:50; ANA, Niedermayer 5 (McDonald, Prospal) - PP, 6:06
Period 3: NYI, Hunter 3 (Bates, Niinimaa), 2:00

PENALTIES
Period 2: ANA, Chistov (Interference), 3:17; NYI, Kvasha (Interference), 4:18; NYI, Cairns (Delay of Game), 7:08; ANA, Johnson (Tripping), 13:09
Period 3: NYI, Asham (Roughing), 5:53; ANA, Ozolinsh (Hooking), 6:50; ANA, Salei (Obstruction Hooking), 7:16; NYI, Hunter (Tripping), 18:37

SHOTS ON GOAL
ANA - 7 - 7 - 2 = 16
NYI - 5 - 8 - 5 = 18

GOALTENDING
ANA - Gerber (8 shots, 5 saves); Giguere (10 shots, 9 saves)
NYI - DiPietro (16 shots, 15 saves)

THREE STARS
1. Adrian Aucoin
2. Trent Hunter
3. Mariusz Czerkawski

Old
11-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Tom Liodice

Your attendance for today's game is 10,782...still dissapointing for an afternoon game. I remember two years ago where it took me 20 minutes to find a parking spot for an afternoon game against Minnesota because it was so crowded full of kids and families. Now they were lucky to break over 10,000...

~TL

Old
11-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Jones23

A very good game and a solid 60 minute effort!

Yashin,Kvasha and Chow continue to be awesome.Anybody else notice Chow getting his nose dirty going to the net and throwing his weight around?

Blake,Bates and Hunter were dominant with 55 and 17's speed a factor every time they were on the ice.Hunter in these last few games seems to be fitting in quite nicely.

The Peca line was quiet but solid defensively.I'd like to see Asham in Wiemer's spot on that line.

The fourth line didn't play much untill late in the game and was pretty much a non factor.Papineau looks a little shaky but the lack of ice time I'm sure doesn't help that.

The defense was great playing sound defensively and playing physical.Niinimaa looked really good today on both sides of the ice.Martinek as well had a solid game playing physical and jumping into the play at the right times.Aucoin,Hammer and Cairns seemed to bang alot of bodies and Jonsson as always has his stick in the right position.

DiPietro was very solid making some big saves in the first and made no glaring mistakes handling the puck.

Here's hoping we see this game against the Sens on Monday!

Old
11-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Islanders4Cups

Great all around effort. DiPietro shined when Anaheim looked to sneak back into this one. I agree, lets see if these guys can bring this type of game vs. Ottawa. That will be a real test.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:09 AM
blitzkriegs

KCAL9 (LA/ANA tv) gave Yashin the 'super star player of the game' award...

ANA announcers talked about Kvasha's emergence thus far this year...seems like he's getting some well deserved league wide praise b/c Pitt was yapping about him too.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:20 AM
blitzkriegs

solid game...

points i would like to make:

I don't like Weimer on the Peca/Parrish line. Seems like the Isles are trying to spark something there. Weimer doesn't compement either of those players. He lacks the skating to stay with them, the puck movement to make the pass, and his 'hitting' doesn't add any new dimension to those players b/c they do hit. If Isles are going to keep Bates on the 3rd line, then I'd rather see them bring give someone from the 4th line time with Peca/Parrish.

Weimer's penalty in the 1st was a direct result of him not skating. he just hooked for a ride. if he moved his feet there would be no penalty, but he just hung on.

Jonsson - great game overall. he made a lot of great plays and his stop in front of the net was HUGE.

Papineau - nice assesment Big Peca about him being shaky. however, on most plays he had the space to make a contribution and came up empty. he needs to take advantage of the ice time he gets. right now it seems like Sterling is keeping 4th line duty to Rookies and a lackluster veteran.

Hunter - nice game. His goal was a momentum changer. When Jiggy came in and Ducks got a goal, I could see the next goal was going to determine an Islander collapse or a victory. That 4th goal was key in how the 3rd period played out.

Ricky - decent game. isles minimized his shots against again. however, he needs to take that extra look before he makes the off the glass pass when the opposing team is forechecking ON THE BOARDS. he almost got caught by Federov today.

Janne - great game. loved his excitement over Hunter's goal. Janne made a great play just to keep the puck in the zone and then it turned into a goal. he took some shots from the point on the PP with one missing.

1st Line - another great game. great passing by Chow. Kvasha was very patient on his goal by making a smooth move. Yashin was firing lasers all game. would have been nice for him to land that behind the goal line tuck he tried. he was 23% on faceoffs though (4-13)...

Old
11-01-2003, 12:03 PM
Tom Liodice

I must also add that I am always very impressed by Kvasha's excitement level after he scores a goal. The man's just gotta calm down just a wee-bit.

~TL

Old
11-01-2003, 12:06 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
I must also add that I am always very impressed by Kvasha's excitement level after he scores a goal. The man's just gotta calm down just a wee-bit.

~TL
I liked the head twitch after his goal today. That was odd...

Old
11-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
we

have some logjam when weinhandl returns...who goes? i have a feeling that asham is being phased out and will be dealt for a dman

Old
11-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Tom Liodice

Wish I could offer a solution for the Weinhandl problem. I'm as confused as everyone is with what will hapen when he's ready to come back.

~TL

Old
11-01-2003, 12:34 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Wish I could offer a solution for the Weinhandl problem. I'm as confused as everyone is with what will hapen when he's ready to come back.

~TL
i think he stays in BST until atleast mid-DEC (bergenheim situation will play into this - see 10 game rule post)

Old
11-01-2003, 01:37 PM
NYIsles1*

Not sure how to take this game.

Either to consider it a good, but not great effort against a team that had turned things and was winning recently or a Saturday where what happened was more about what the other team did not do and the Isles made enough plays to get the two points. The officials got their quota today.

I promised myself I would hold the Islanders to a higher standard this season. No more they got the two points, move on. I'm looking for signs this team (and I use the word team) is really getting better and building something.

I do not think I can say that about today's win.

Lot's of very good individual plays and some good chemistry from the usual suspects. Kvasha, Yashin, Czerkawski, Blake, Jonsson all had very good games, where they could have easily had more and Jonsson is quietly dominating in his own end. DiPietro had a very soild game, he made some good saves and did not give Anaheim anything aside from the Fedorov turnover and just held the puck and was very compact/ controlled in his movements.

Nothing can be taken away from goals or setups, cannot say enough about how hard Kvasha is working. (now he needs to smile after a goal) His carrying the puck in past two players, dumping it behind the goal set up the play where he finished a beautiful
setup for the 1-0 lead on the powerplay was outstanding.

Yashin did everything but score a hat-trick, he was everywhere, both Czerkawski and Kvasha hit Yashin on the fly and he hit the post twice.

Hunter and Bates had very good games, not just Hunter's goal but how they read off each other for chances and how visible they were.

The defense played better in the early third when the top four were paired. Martinek had a good game and was noticable. Niinimaa had one powerplay where he took some full windups for shots and he looked better doing that and had a quick release. Cairns did not look bad and kept playing on special teams. When the Isles had the five on three Aucoin could not hit the net or was trying too hard for deflections.

The fourth line had some moments but did not play much. Asham's penalty was brutal in the third. Papineau for a fast player was caught pretty handily on his third peirod breakaway but his skills are noticable.

On the downside Peca, Parrish and Wiemer belong togther as a third line because they are giving this team next to nothing and hard to notice.

Hunter is the player who supposedly does not have foot-speed yet he got into position faster than Parrish and scored the fourth goal from the outside with a fast release and that really put Anaheim away.

Peca outside of the end of the game vs Pittsburgh has not been able to sustain anything on offense and his hitting has again dropped off. It's getting close to asking does Parrish deserve a reduced roll? Maybe Michael Peca too because unless the team is shorthanded, he's having little impact in the offensive end. Wiemer in front of the net on powerplays is not helping, nor was that line and Blake deserved the pp time from what I was watching.

Even with Scatchard out it says a lot that Stirling preferred Wiemer as a left winger. As usual, he took the only penalty on a weak hook in the first, yet he was hit much harder by the Anaheim defender Keith Carney)?

Ok, 4-1 wins are never bad and with the upcoming schedule this is a big win that this team needed. Let's see what they can do with Ottawa.

Closed Thread