HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Forgive my ignorance but do we own the rights to Kovy and Heatley after this season?

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Pachoo

vCash: 500
Forgive my ignorance but do we own the rights to Kovy and Heatley after this season?

I know both have their contracts up. I am not sure how NHL goes up players rights.

Do we have exclusive rights to them next year or can any team try to sign them for however much money?

I get the impression that unless we can't come to an agreement with either guy financially that no other team can try to sign them. Is that right?

Thank you. I don't want to lose either guy to another team. We need them as the foundation of this franchise.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Blatny Spears

No one knows for sure because the current collective bargaining agreement will expire this offseason. Under the current CBA, any team could sign them but they would be required to compensate us with several first-round draft picks depending on how much the contracts are worth. We would have the right to match whatever it was the players were signed for and we would get to keep them. It very rarely happens. The only examples I can thing of were when the Canes signed Sergei Federov to an offer sheet and the Rangers did the same with Joe Sakic.

I think there's a good ol' boy network in effect and GMs have an understanding to not sign away others' star players. Anyone could've signed Marian Gaborik, Martin Havlat, or Mike Comrie this offseason, for example, but it didn't happen.

Old
11-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Even with a new CBA and if the age is lowered from 31 to 28 or 29 like most think will happen there is no way Kovalchuk and Heatley will be UFA. I wouldn't worry about losing them even as good as they are I doubt anyone offers them an unmatchable contract because of the whole 5 first round picks that the team would be forced to surrender. It's just too much to give up.
I think the Thrashers should try and sign Kovalchuk during this season, because if he continues to play the way he has been I wouldn't be surprised if some team decided that 5 first round picks was worth it to acquire him.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:41 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I think the Thrashers should try and sign Kovalchuk during this season, because if he continues to play the way he has been I wouldn't be surprised if some team decided that 5 first round picks was worth it to acquire him.
I doubt it. The only team dumb enough to do that is the Rags. The first contract after the rookie contract isnt TOO hard to get a guy to sign, but after that it gets tougher and sometimes the team has to trade the player. No way we try to sign Ilya mid season and mess with his head about his contract, plus, what if he gets hurt? It really hurts bargaining for him come the off season. Just so many factors go into not resigning him midseason.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Blatny Spears

If I were GM of a team that had a good scouting staff, I'd happily give up five first-round picks for a talent of Thornton, Gaborik, Heatley, or Kovalchuk's caliber. Would you rather have Joe Thornton or five picks in the 20th to 25th range? I'd take Thornton any day. You figure you'll get two busts, two OK players, and one very good player out of those picks. You might get a star player, but odds are it will take a few years for that pick to pan out - several years if the star player comes from the fifth of the picks. St. Louis went without first-round picks for several years because of the whole Scott Stevens affair and they're in
good shape.

Again, teams don't sign one another's RFAs because of the draft pick thing but because I think there's an unspoken rule not to mess with one another's star players.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Atlanta Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
If I were GM of a team that had a good scouting staff, I'd happily give up five first-round picks for a talent of Thornton, Gaborik, Heatley, or Kovalchuk's caliber. Would you rather have Joe Thornton or five picks in the 20th to 25th range? I'd take Thornton any day. You figure you'll get two busts, two OK players, and one very good player out of those picks. You might get a star player, but odds are it will take a few years for that pick to pan out - several years if the star player comes from the fifth of the picks. St. Louis went without first-round picks for several years because of the whole Scott Stevens affair and they're in
good shape.

Again, teams don't sign one another's RFAs because of the draft pick thing but because I think there's an unspoken rule not to mess with one another's star players.
Of course if the player you sign gets injured you're toast. And out of a job. Remember the Hershel Walker deal? Too big of a gamble to bet the bank on 1 guy.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Tristelune

Then you have to think that 5 pick may worth the guy! However, what would become of those 5 pick, no one know! And we all knew that one players can make a team as good as he is!

Closed Thread