HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

S. Kostitsyn named to 2005-06 OHL All-Rookie Team

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Mike The Wall

vCash: 500
S. Kostitsyn named to 2005-06 OHL All-Rookie Team

Kostitsyn & Aarssen Named to Rookie All-Stars
The Ontario Hockey League today announced that John Tavares of the Oshawa Generals is the 2005-06 Emms Family Award winner as the OHL Rookie of the Year.

Tavares, the first overall selection in the 2005 OHL Priority Selection scored 45 goals in 65 games to lead all rookies this season and established a new Canadian Hockey League scoring record for underage players. John also added 32 assists for a total of 77 points, which placed him second among OHL rookies.

The 15 year old, Oakville native who is not eligible for the National Hockey League Entry Draft until 2009, enjoyed 20 multiple-point games, including hat tricks on December 16 against Plymouth and February 15 versus Guelph. He was the OHL's Rookie of the Month in December, January and February.

Tavares was a member of Team Ontario at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge this past winter in Saskatchewan. He was the top scorer in the tournament with 6 goals, 8 assists and 14 points. He also recently represented Canada in the IIHF World Under-18 Hockey Championships in Sweden. Tavares recorded 2 goals, 3 assists and 5 points in seven games during the tournament.

The Emms Family Award is presented annually to the top first year player as selected by OHL general managers. Teams were not permitted to vote for a player from their own hockey club. Players received five points for a first place vote, three points for a second place vote and one point for a third place vote. Tavares received 93 points in the voting, while Logan Couture of the Ottawa 67’s was second with 32 points and Sergei Kostitsyn of the London Knights was third in the voting with 30 points. Former winners of the Emms Family Award include Wayne Gretzky (Sault Ste. Marie, 1977-78), Joe Thornton (Sault Ste. Marie, 1995-96), Owen Nolan (Cornwall, 1988-89) and Rick Nash (London, 2000-01). Benoit Pouliot of the Sudbury Wolves won the award last season. The award was donated by Leighton "Hap" Emms, former owner of the Barrie, Niagara Falls and St. Catharines OHL franchises.

2005-06 Ontario Hockey League All-Rookie First Team

Centre – John Tavares, Oshawa (95)
Left Wing – Bryan Cameron, Belleville (73)
Right Wing – Sergei Kostitsyn, London (87)
Defence – Drew Doughty, Guelph (95)
Defence – Mark Katic, Sarnia (89)
Goal – Ryan Daniels, Saginaw (52)

2005-06 Ontario Hockey League All-Rookie Second Team

Centre – Logan Couture, Ottawa (57)
Left Wing – Oskar Osala, Mississauga 35)
Right Wing – Dale Mitchell, Oshawa (33)
Defence – Scott Aarssen, London (41)
Defence – Jakub Vojta, Ottawa (32)
Goal – Sebastian Dahm, Belleville (37)

Old
04-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
Kostitsyn & Aarssen Named to Rookie All-Stars
The Ontario Hockey League today announced that John Tavares of the Oshawa Generals is the 2005-06 Emms Family Award winner as the OHL Rookie of the Year.

Tavares, the first overall selection in the 2005 OHL Priority Selection scored 45 goals in 65 games to lead all rookies this season and established a new Canadian Hockey League scoring record for underage players. John also added 32 assists for a total of 77 points, which placed him second among OHL rookies.

The 15 year old, Oakville native who is not eligible for the National Hockey League Entry Draft until 2009, enjoyed 20 multiple-point games, including hat tricks on December 16 against Plymouth and February 15 versus Guelph. He was the OHL's Rookie of the Month in December, January and February.

Tavares was a member of Team Ontario at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge this past winter in Saskatchewan. He was the top scorer in the tournament with 6 goals, 8 assists and 14 points. He also recently represented Canada in the IIHF World Under-18 Hockey Championships in Sweden. Tavares recorded 2 goals, 3 assists and 5 points in seven games during the tournament.

The Emms Family Award is presented annually to the top first year player as selected by OHL general managers. Teams were not permitted to vote for a player from their own hockey club. Players received five points for a first place vote, three points for a second place vote and one point for a third place vote. Tavares received 93 points in the voting, while Logan Couture of the Ottawa 67’s was second with 32 points and Sergei Kostitsyn of the London Knights was third in the voting with 30 points. Former winners of the Emms Family Award include Wayne Gretzky (Sault Ste. Marie, 1977-78), Joe Thornton (Sault Ste. Marie, 1995-96), Owen Nolan (Cornwall, 1988-89) and Rick Nash (London, 2000-01). Benoit Pouliot of the Sudbury Wolves won the award last season. The award was donated by Leighton "Hap" Emms, former owner of the Barrie, Niagara Falls and St. Catharines OHL franchises.

2005-06 Ontario Hockey League All-Rookie First Team

Centre – John Tavares, Oshawa (95)
Left Wing – Bryan Cameron, Belleville (73)
Right Wing – Sergei Kostitsyn, London (87)
Defence – Drew Doughty, Guelph (95)
Defence – Mark Katic, Sarnia (89)
Goal – Ryan Daniels, Saginaw (52)

2005-06 Ontario Hockey League All-Rookie Second Team

Centre – Logan Couture, Ottawa (57)
Left Wing – Oskar Osala, Mississauga 35)
Right Wing – Dale Mitchell, Oshawa (33)
Defence – Scott Aarssen, London (41)
Defence – Jakub Vojta, Ottawa (32)
Goal – Sebastian Dahm, Belleville (37)
He was just great and Congrats to Sergei!!

Tavares deserved the rookie of the year, but Sergei deserves some recognition as well for coming in a new country, learn the language and differents styles of play and play as great as he did, what a great NA start on his career and more to come for sure!!!

Old
04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
KaptainKourage*

Wow, great news.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Amazing sleeper pick.

Old
04-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
Amazing sleeper pick.
yep, we have the next Sedins in our hands...

Old
04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I could of probably done the same playing with Schremp and Bolland. I'll wait before showing any excitement.

Old
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
ti-vite

Try to imagine Bob Cole describing a play with both brothers in on the action...

Old
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
I could of probably done the same playing with Schremp and Bolland. I'll wait before showing any excitement.

No you couldn't. Kostitsyn can create things on his own and is clearly one of the better talents in the OHL. Yes playing with Schremp and Bolland helps inflate his stats, no doubt but he's still easily one of the most skilled players on the team, so unless your a better hockey player then 80% of the Knights, you couldn't do what he does. He skates well, good speed, good vision, good shot (not as heavy as his brothers) plays physical, can go to the net with the puck at high speed, willing to take a big hit and then gets right back up.

I've seen a good bit of Kostitsyn this year and at the draft I was not in favor of drafting him, I don't care for drafting brothers but he has really changed my opinion of him and imo he's one of our better prospects, not because of the point totals cause I don't really care all that much about stats, but what I see on the ice. What I really like about him is that he works hard every shift, has no fear of being hit so he drives hard to the heavy traffic areas, can dish out some solid hits and when he gets hit he pops right back up, and he can handle the puck at a high speed.

The real test for any CHLer imo is when they turn pro. I agree it's too early to get excited about his production, we'll see what happens when he hits Hamilton.

Old
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
Try to imagine Bob Cole describing a play with both brothers in on the action...

Old
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15
Cole:'Koste...something to Chipchur...a, yes, Chipura....behind the net. He puts it infront to Andrι Kos...tity, across to his brother the other...oh my Harry these leafs players names are getting confusing'

Neale:'Looks like they scored Bob'

Cole:'Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh the red light behind the net is flashing...must be an offside for the leafs! Ohhhh my!'

Closed Thread