HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Tortorella Ripping John Grahame

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Bruins

vCash: 500
OT-Tortorella Ripping John Grahame

Did anyone catch John Tortorella's comments last night ripping John Grahame after they lost to the Sens? I thought it was disgusting and showed a total lack of class. I know that he is known for these rants, but this was totally uncalled for. Some of his quotes:

"A save would be nice."

"Three goals on four shots. I'm getting tired of the 25 per cent rule. It's deflating."

When asked if Sean Burke would be starting the next game instead of Grahame:
"Your damn right he is"

Old
04-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Shabutie

Well, I thought he was an idiot for going back to grahame 3 games straight. Classless comments, but it is about time he starts Burke.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan
Did anyone catch John Tortorella's comments last night ripping John Grahame after they lost to the Sens? I thought it was disgusting and showed a total lack of class. I know that he is known for these rants, but this was totally uncalled for. Some of his quotes:

"A save would be nice."

"Three goals on four shots. I'm getting tired of the 25 per cent rule. It's deflating."

When asked if Sean Burke would be starting the next game instead of Grahame:
"Your damn right he is"
Since when does Tortorella and class can go in the same phrase???

Old
04-28-2006, 10:11 AM
habfan4

It's almost assured that we'll only have to put up with one more Tortorella post game rant. His team is over-matched, and while I'd never count out a team with Richards, Lecavalier and St. Louis, the Lightning look dead in the water.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Kruschiki

He's right though.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:15 AM
22SteveBegin22

It's no wonder that so many media guys talk about what a great coach Tortorella is, they would much rather get sound bytes like these than what they get from a first-class guy like Gainey.

I think it's Coaching 101 that you don't rip your goalie this way, even if he plays like crap.

I'm going to use this face now, just because I never use it.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Madevilz

Didnt he also say Emery was the Sens' weakest link?

lol I think he has lost his players' respect.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:17 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
He's right though.
He'd be right if he was ranting about his team's piss poor defensive zone coverage.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
He's right though.
Spezza's goal was just superb, I don't think the greatest goalie would've stopped that. Phillips he should've had, but what could he have done on the Heatley goal??? As far as Havlat, well I give him the benefit of the doubt, Havlat is so hot right now....

So let's blame him for sure on the Phillips goal and I can even give you the Havlat one, though I'm not convinced....It's still just 2-2.....So sure Grahame's not great but we knew it at the deadline, Feaster didn't...

I blame Feaster for not doing everything he could (if he didn't) to grab another goalie and Tortorella for not playing Burke....

Old
04-28-2006, 10:21 AM
jaems

He's a bit right, but he failed to mention the mixed up defense, which failed to block passes or cover men in specific key moments. I can't remember which goal it was, but it was like three Lightning covering one Sens player, who passes it to the left circle to a wide open Sens player.

Going into the playoffs, everyone knew their goaltending was among the weakest. So the defense has to step it up to help out their G.

Ray Emery is a rookie, who has performed relatively well, but the D has been fairly strong. Game four really showed how in spite of the number of shots, the Lightning didn't get much chances because Ottawa broke up a lot of the low passing plays and didn't give allow many rebounds to be taken by the Lightning.

I guess we'll see how Burke will do. He seem to do pretty well with that Chris Neil breakaway.

Edit: Well, a lot of what I said has now been said. I'll add this though: That Spezza goal reminded me of the cheap way of scoring goals in EA NHL 1994, good times.

Old
TheAnalogKid

I have to say that I did not like it too much. I hate the Lightning, but I like Grahame (another Denver boy like me!). I always like to see Grahame do well and it is a shame.

Old
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
It's no wonder that so many media guys talk about what a great coach Tortorella is, they would much rather get sound bytes like these than what they get from a first-class guy like Gainey.

I think it's Coaching 101 that you don't rip your goalie this way, even if he plays like crap.
I'm going to use this face now, just because I never use it.

Yes and no. Grahame had 2 horrible games back to back. When you give up 9 goals in 3 1/2 periods in the playoffs what exactly is the coach supposed to say? Grahame played like crap and got called out for it. If he coddles Grahame then what does that say to the rest of the team?

Old
04-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Bill McNeal

Fonzie is correctamundo when it comes to Grahame's goaltending, but his team is about to jump the shark.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Spezza's goal was just superb, I don't think the greatest goalie would've stopped that. Phillips he should've had, but what could he have done on the Heatley goal??? As far as Havlat, well I give him the benefit of the doubt, Havlat is so hot right now....
It was a nice looking goal but definitely savable. Problem with grahame is that he's always so deep in his crease, he never challenges the shooters, so as soon as their's a little problem in the defensive zone coverage, they score. That series isn't very entertaining for that reason alone.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
It was a nice looking goal but definitely savable. Problem with grahame is that he's always so deep in his crease, he never challenges the shooters, so as soon as their's a little problem in the defensive zone coverage, they score. That series isn't very entertaining for that reason alone.
It was hilarious listening to Greg Millen rip into Grahame for staying too deep in his net and then when it became evident that Tampa was going to win that game, completely backtracking and saying he had been very solid.

But ya, he is way too deep in his net. Goal light must be keeping his butt warm.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
22SteveBegin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19
Yes and no. Grahame had 2 horrible games back to back. When you give up 9 goals in 3 1/2 periods in the playoffs what exactly is the coach supposed to say? Grahame played like crap and got called out for it. If he coddles Grahame then what does that say to the rest of the team?
I don't even have a problem with calling your goalie out to challenge him in the media after a bad game or two under the right circumstances... but there's a difference between making a statement to try and get a guy to step up, and making sarcastic negative comments that throw him under the bus as the reason your team lost. Tortorella crossed that line. And soon he'll have all summer to think about it I guess.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Well I would agree with you if he hadn't deke the D the way he did. In no occasion should you give a goal like that if you have the player coming directly in front of you. That deke was sudden, and Grahame didn't have time to react as well as he should have.

But I agree that somebody should tell him that he's allowed to be in that blue zone in front, 'cause he ain't using it too much.....

Old
04-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
I was amazed to see him that far back in his crease on Spezza's goal. I would have expected him further out with noone for Spezza to pass to.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Capitano

This guy makes me laugh

In this case though, I think the Tampa GM Jay Feaster is to blame. Everybody knew the Lightning had weak goaltending and he did nothing at the deadline to help this at all.

In a way I guess I don't blame John for being upset, but his comments are pretty harsh.

Cap

Old
04-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix

So let's blame him for sure on the Phillips goal and I can even give you the Havlat one, though I'm not convinced....It's still just 2-2.....So sure Grahame's not great but we knew it at the deadline, Feaster didn't...

I blame Feaster for not doing everything he could (if he didn't) to grab another goalie and Tortorella for not playing Burke....
The Havlat goal there were three lightning players in front of the net and not one of them took him. I blame the D there. Agree no chance on Heatley, and little chance on the Spezza goal.

Its not grahame's fault, its the lightning playing poor in their end.

Grahame has played his last game in Tampa. He will be back in the league next year as someone's backup.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
The Havlat goal there were three lightning players in front of the net and not one of them took him. I blame the D there. Agree no chance on Heatley, and little chance on the Spezza goal.

Its not grahame's fault, its the lightning playing poor in their end.

Grahame has played his last game in Tampa. He will be back in the league next year as someone's backup.
That's why I wasn't convince on the Havlat one but if we really need to find where he faulted, well it could've been there. But I guess we could exchange the Havlat goal for the Spezza one, and say that he was too deep on that one.

As far as being a backup, he sure can do a better job than Snow or Sauvé......

Old
04-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
This guy makes me laugh

In this case though, I think the Tampa GM Jay Feaster is to blame. Everybody knew the Lightning had weak goaltending and he did nothing at the deadline to help this at all.

In a way I guess I don't blame John for being upset, but his comments are pretty harsh.

Cap
If I remember correctly, they did try to get back Bulin Wall but failed at the deadline.. it is not like they did nothing but they failed to deliver

Old
04-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

It's not the first time Tortorella says something stupid.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Beakermania*

Oh yeah he is a very good backup goalie, among the top 2-3 backups in the league. I just think this year, and the year the bruins tried to make him a starter have proven that he is exposed when he plays too many games.

Old
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Seems like a good coach for a winning team. Won't be long before he loses the room and his job if he thinks they million dollar players are going to take that from him

Closed Thread