HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Forsberg

Old
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
capn89*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by budscweizer16
2000 playoffs game 7 ECf right?
That's the one.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
pit

I think the biggest if should be...

What if Forsberg wasn't part of the Lindros deal?

pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:32 PM
bioman85*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit
I think the biggest if should be...

What if Forsberg wasn't part of the Lindros deal?
Then I doubt you get Lindros

bioman85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman85
You never know, I think at that time Ricci was more highly touted as a prospect. With Forsberg, there was that question of when --or even if-- he would cross the pond. I gladly would have offered up another first to keep him.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:43 PM
bioman85*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
You never know, I think at that time Ricci was more highly touted as a prospect. With Forsberg, there was that question of when --or even if-- he would cross the pond. I gladly would have offered up another first to keep him.
Yea but when you're dealing with young players you really can't judge 100% - I'm not blaming him for the trade.

bioman85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
If he can stay healthy, the Flyers are going to be a real problem.

04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
guinness
those were the days

Forsberg would've been better than Lindros, IMO if both were healthy, Forsberg just has this drive that allows him to push himself harder in pressure situations, he just won't quit. I always saw Lindros as a bit a of baby after the whole Quebec mess. And after watching him play against the Wings for years in the playoffs, especially 2002, the guy just seems clutch. However, it probably helped that Forsberg had a better supporting cast than Lindros. Not sure who could've beat the Wings in '97.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:05 PM
chthonic

i think its funny players like jagr can run up the score all year long then come playoffs totally wuss out with a fake injury and bail on their team.

forsberg might be hurt all year long, but he plays when it counts right through it and comes up HUUUUUUGE for his team.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman85
From what I've heard, the Flyers were told they had a choice to give up 2 out of 4 players. The 4 guys were Ricci, Recchi, Brindy, and Foppa. They chose Foppa and Ricci and the rest is history.

Who knows if Forsberg develops the same or if the two are ever in the lineup at the same time, but if they were, they would've been an awesome duo, a duo for the ages.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Forsberg would've been better than Lindros, IMO if both were healthy, Forsberg just has this drive that allows him to push himself harder in pressure situations, he just won't quit. I always saw Lindros as a bit a of baby after the whole Quebec mess. And after watching him play against the Wings for years in the playoffs, especially 2002, the guy just seems clutch. However, it probably helped that Forsberg had a better supporting cast than Lindros. Not sure who could've beat the Wings in '97.
No one. The Red Wings had three Hall of Famers to be, the best checking line in the last ten years, and terriffic depth in each position. The amount of skill they had is simply mind boggling.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 11:49 PM
The Kingslayer

Peter is a winner plain and simple....I mean what hasnt the guy won? He and Joe Sakic have won just about everything. Its funny how people questioned his commitment to the NHL especially during the lockout when he played for MODO because even then he said he would rather be playing in the NHL.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Tat2dRich

Send a message via Yahoo to Tat2dRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
Forsberg has been awesome these last two games, and I'm really glad for that, but (and I doubt anyone will agree) had Lindros not had the concussions he would have been a better player than Forsberg.
Lindros ALWAYS played like a heart transplant donor. He had all the tools and none of the heart, drive, whatever you want to call it. He was gutless.

Tat2dRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Drudkh

Lindros had more physical talent than Forsberg but I'd say if both players had injury free careers Foppa's would have been a little better.

Drudkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Brad*

I've always maintained that had Lindros avoided his injury woes, he would have become a superior player to Forsberg. I've personally never seen a combination of size and skill like Big E on his game. He was scary. The supposed downside of Lindros is his attitude. As pointed out in this thread, many people see him as a sourpuss with a bad attitude. I've always preferred to withhold judgement on players based on their attitudes, because to be honest, we don't really know how hard a player "wants it" or how they act in the locker room. I'll leave the mental diagnosis to the psychiatrists. If Lindros had managed to stay healthy, I have no doubt that he would be considered among the all time greats upon his retirement.

Forsberg will be as well. There are very few players in the world who have the ability to make the players around them much better, in the manner that Forsberg does. Peter can single handedly galvanize a team, or take a team on his back and carry them to victory by himself. Forsberg is the kind of player who inspires confidence. When the Flyers are down, I often find myself thinking, "well it isn't over, the Flyers still have Forsberg." I don't get that feeling for any other player.

As far as comparisons go, it's really a toss up. I can see the arguments both ways. As I said, I've always leaned toward a healthy Lindros as being the superior player, but after a watching Forsberg closely for an entire season, I'm not so sure. Ask me tomorrow and I might answer differently, but I think if I had to choose a healthy Lindros or a healthy Forsberg for one game, I'd go with Forsberg. There is certainly no wrong answer to the question, however.

Brad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Jester

i agreed with Brad.

Lindros at his apex was the most dominating, fear-inspiring, whatever... player in the league. It was a great thing to watch... sadly, everything around it was a mess... and then the injuries.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 03:22 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Do you guys remember draft day the year they took Forsberg? They got ripped apart by the so called draft "experts" for reaching for a player that should've never gone that high. Always remembered that.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 03:36 AM
Teezax

I don't know about the Big-E - Foppa argument,
all i know is big players carry a team to the cup, and Forsberg is 2 up on Lindros

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 06:31 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
From what I've heard, the Flyers were told they had a choice to give up 2 out of 4 players. The 4 guys were Ricci, Recchi, Brindy, and Foppa. They chose Foppa and Ricci and the rest is history.

Who knows if Forsberg develops the same or if the two are ever in the lineup at the same time, but if they were, they would've been an awesome duo, a duo for the ages.
It came down to Brind'amour or Forsberg. The Flyers didn't know if they could get Forsberg on this side of the pond.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Forsberg in the playoffs is the best hockey player in the world. Maybe except for Brodeur. He's the best skater, no doubt.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I don't know about the Big-E - Foppa argument,
all i know is big players carry a team to the cup, and Forsberg is 2 up on Lindros

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 10:22 AM
salzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza18
Do you guys remember draft day the year they took Forsberg? They got ripped apart by the so called draft "experts" for reaching for a player that should've never gone that high. Always remembered that.
I remember it well - the 'experts' all figured they would go for a young Bob Probert type tough guy from the OHL name Alex Stojanov!

salzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 10:56 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
Was there a point to your post? I already said no one would agree.
Using that logic, what was the point of your post? You said no one one would agree yet you posted anyway.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 10:56 AM
slapsht25

Lindros had the ability to carry a team on his back bur Forsberg HAS carried teams on his back. The physical part of their games notwithstanding Foppa has more drive and will to win at whatever the costs, I don't think Lindros has that quality, and I was a huge Lindros fan, he had the ability and talent to be one of the greatest.......
A sad epitaph for his career in my opinion

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 11:00 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've always maintained that had Lindros avoided his injury woes, he would have become a superior player to Forsberg ... As pointed out in this thread, many people see him as a sourpuss with a bad attitude. I've always preferred to withhold judgement on players based on their attitudes
We've always disagreed on the Lindros/Forsberg comparison, but with regard to attitude, it's well worth stating that much of Eric's "attitude" is mommy and daddy's attitude. Those people were (and continue to be) the single most disruptive force in his career (other than the concussions of course).

The Eric Lindros attitude has a lot more to do with his parents screwing around with him and pestering management than it actually has to do with Eric's attitude.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 11:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

healthy Forsberg, healthy Lindros

no question its Forsberg. Forsberg just hates to lose. he despises losing and does not tolerate it. He takes his game to a whole new level in the playoffs and quite frankly Lindros just never did that. how many series can you think of where he did? the 97 run? he dissapeared in the finals along with everyone else with the exception of Brind'Amour

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote