HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Forsberg

Old
04-29-2006, 11:05 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
the 97 run? he dissapeared in the finals along with everyone else with the exception of Brind'Amour
Brind'Amour was terrific that year. He far outshined both Lindros and LeClair, but Brind'Amour has always loved the playoffs.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Brind'Amour was terrific that year. He far outshined both Lindros and LeClair, but Brind'Amour has always loved the playoffs.
Ah... Lindros was a GOD in that playoff run... Brind'Amour certainly played well, but he didn't outshine Lindros... not only did Lindros do a bit more, he also scores some MASSIVE goals in that run... including the shot from the half-boards on Richter with time running out.

Lindros - 19GP 12G 14A 26P 40PIM (including only 1 point in the SC finals i believe)
Brind'Amour - 19GP 13G 8A 21P 10PIM

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
healthy Forsberg, healthy Lindros

no question its Forsberg. Forsberg just hates to lose. he despises losing and does not tolerate it. He takes his game to a whole new level in the playoffs and quite frankly Lindros just never did that. how many series can you think of where he did? the 97 run? he dissapeared in the finals along with everyone else with the exception of Brind'Amour
Lindros hates to lose too dude... I've never seen a player AFFECT the way other people played more than Lindros. Defensemen lived in abject fear of him when he was playing at his most physical when younger... he also had a better PPG (i believe) than Forsberg prior to the injuries destroying his career.

Old
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Lindros hates to lose too dude... I've never seen a player AFFECT the way other people played more than Lindros. Defensemen lived in abject fear of him when he was playing at his most physical when younger... he also had a better PPG (i believe) than Forsberg prior to the injuries destroying his career.

He came up big in the Ranger series, Ill give ya that. But I just think he was nothing but average in the other series that year. I just think for my money when it is put up or shut up time I would take Peter Forsberg any day of the week.
What did Lindros have 1 point in the finals that year? and that was a meaningless goal in the final seconds of game 4.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 04-29-2006 at 01:51 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
He came up big in the Ranger series, Ill give ya that. But I just think he was nothing but average in the other series that year. I just think for my money when it is put up or shut up time I would take Peter Forsberg any day of the week.
What did Lindros have 1 point in the finals that year? and that was a meaningless goal in the final seconds of game 4.
oh, i know... but that was more a product of the fact that our team was essentially the Legion of Doom and nothing else, more than his fault. Detroit made the conscious effort to stop him and let the rest of the squad beat them... we weren't deep enough.

Forsberg has definitely been a better money player throughout his career... however, he's also been on MUCH deeper teams with Colorado than anything we've had in Philly during that time period. These things matter...

However, I feel like you insinuated that Forsberg simply cares more than Lindros and I don't think that is true... the man cried on national television while promising Philly they were going to win after getting the Hart trophy. Lindros wanted it bad... he still wants it bad... there's just a black cloud hanging over his career, which is an unfortunate thing and the product of no one but himself.

Old
04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
capn89*

Quote:
oh, i know... but that was more a product of the fact that our team was essentially the Legion of Doom and nothing else, more than his fault. Detroit made the conscious effort to stop him and let the rest of the squad beat them... we weren't deep enough.

Forsberg has definitely been a better money player throughout his career... however, he's also been on MUCH deeper teams with Colorado than anything we've had in Philly during that time period. These things matter...

However, I feel like you insinuated that Forsberg simply cares more than Lindros and I don't think that is true... the man cried on national television while promising Philly they were going to win after getting the Hart trophy. Lindros wanted it bad... he still wants it bad... there's just a black cloud hanging over his career, which is an unfortunate thing and the product of no one but himself.
It's a huge shame for the man. I was a big time Lindros fan when he was with the team and absolutely loved how he dominated games. Without the injuries, and his father, I could imagine him being remembered as one of the top 10 best players of all time in the NHL. Anyone can laugh at that statement now, simply because of where he is in in career and the injuries and what people think of him because of this that and the other thing, but I believe in it. He was a great player. Didn't he, up until his injuries began, have a better PPG average than Lemieux?

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
It's a huge shame for the man. I was a big time Lindros fan when he was with the team and absolutely loved how he dominated games. Without the injuries, and his father, I could imagine him being remembered as one of the top 10 best players of all time in the NHL. Anyone can laugh at that statement now, simply because of where he is in in career and the injuries and what people think of him because of this that and the other thing, but I believe in it. He was a great player. Didn't he, up until his injuries began, have a better PPG average than Lemieux?
ah, maybe... i don't think so though. the sidebar to that is that Mario's PPG shrank due to injuries by that time... he was better than Jagr PPG back in the day i believe though.

Old
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Ah... Lindros was a GOD in that playoff run... Brind'Amour certainly played well, but he didn't outshine Lindros... not only did Lindros do a bit more, he also scores some MASSIVE goals in that run... including the shot from the half-boards on Richter with time running out.

Lindros - 19GP 12G 14A 26P 40PIM (including only 1 point in the SC finals i believe)
Brind'Amour - 19GP 13G 8A 21P 10PIM
1st: You'll see the post I quoted specifically cited the finals series against Detroit. You say yourself here that Lindros (the "GOD") mustered an entire point (a goal) in those games.

2nd: Lindros averaged 1.52 points per game during the regular season in 96-97. Over the playoffs that number dropped to 1.37. Certainly that's more than respectable, and one should expect PPG averages to drop when the checking gets tighter.

Rod Brind'Amour averaged .72 PPG during the regular season.
For the playoffs that year he averaged 1.11 PPG, and that is the difference between them.

In 1997 Eric Lindros maintained what he'd been achieving throughout the season. Rod Brind'Amour elevated his game.

Old
04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
salzy

Quote:
1st: You'll see the post I quoted specifically cited the finals series against Detroit. You say yourself here that Lindros (the "GOD") mustered an entire point (a goal) in those games.

2nd: Lindros averaged 1.52 points per game during the regular season in 96-97. Over the playoffs that number dropped to 1.37. Certainly that's more than respectable, and one should expect PPG averages to drop when the checking gets tighter.

For the playoffs that year he averaged 1.11 PPG, and that is the difference between them.

In 1997 Eric Lindros maintained what he'd been achieving throughout the season. Rod Brind'Amour elevated his game.
??? So what you're saying is Lindros was better than Brind'amour in the playoffs, but MUCH better in the regular season?

salzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 11:08 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
True enough but when he lead the playoffs in points(Hes done it twice) Joe Sakic was a non factor both times. I still believe to this day that had the avs gone to the Finals both years when Pete lead he would have been the first Euro to win the Conn Smythe.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Jester

Quote:

it helps when NO ONE is paying attention to you...

Old
04-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I was wondering about Forsberg's leadership ability. Was he ever captain in Colorado (in times when Sakic was hurt)? How would he be here as captain? You can't argue with his ability, and he certainly shows up, especially in the playoffs. I'd love it if he were captain, but apparently the powers that be know much more than I do about his leadership.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
DayWalk3r
YouTube Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I was wondering about Forsberg's leadership ability. Was he ever captain in Colorado (in times when Sakic was hurt)? How would he be here as captain? You can't argue with his ability, and he certainly shows up, especially in the playoffs. I'd love it if he were captain, but apparently the powers that be know much more than I do about his leadership.
Yes, he was captain during some games in Colorado.. while Sakic was out of the lineup.

DayWalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
dedalus

Quote:
it helps when NO ONE is paying attention to you...
He had that advantage during the regular season, or is it your claim that only after 82 regular season games did people realize that the legion of Doom needed guarding?

Lame excuse for what happened. Brind'Amour showed up bigger in the playoffs - the WHOLE playoffs. Don't let that whole "Mark-Messier-just-passed-the-torch-to-Lindros" thing fool you about what really occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzy
??? So what you're saying is Lindros was better than Brind'amour in the playoffs, but MUCH better in the regular season?
I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying. Brind'Amour elevated his game in the playoffs while the Flyers' captain did not. Furthermore, while Brind'Amour continued his efforts against Detroit, Lindros crawld into a shell and died when his team needed him most. (Except of course for the brief period when he crawled back out to snipe at Murray and get him fired for speaking the truth: the Flyers - including their captain and "GOD" - were choking.