HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Freddy Meyer

Old
04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
budscweizer16

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to budscweizer16
Freddy Meyer

I think this guy is realy starting to make a case for being our most reliable defenseman. Never seems to make mistakes, plays solid every game. chips in a goal once in a while. Desjardins gets the puck on net, but his defensive game isnt what it once was, Joni is very good, but dosent have it every night. Gauthier looks for the big hit way to much and sometimes costs us on Defense, Rathje and Hatcher don't even need to be mentioned. Lets hear it for Freddy, who has developed into a solid nhler.

budscweizer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by budscweizer16
I think this guy is realy starting to make a case for being our most reliable defenseman. Never seems to make mistakes, plays solid every game. chips in a goal once in a while. Desjardins gets the puck on net, but his defensive game isnt what it once was, Joni is very good, but dosent have it every night. Gauthier looks for the big hit way to much and sometimes costs us on Defense, Rathje and Hatcher don't even need to be mentioned. Lets hear it for Freddy, who has developed into a solid nhler.
Definitely. I never worry about Freddy, sometimes to the point that I forget he's back there. Amazing composure for a young guy, even when he does make a mistake.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
bioman85*

Quote:
Originally Posted by budscweizer16
The one thing I've noticed about Meyer is that when the Flyers are on the PP, he is SO good at keeping the puck in the zone when the PKers try to clear. I'm really happily surprised with his play.

bioman85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1336
He has been cool, calm and collected in the games I have seen. Nice characteristics for any hockey player but certainly speaks volumes for a young d-man.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Banger

I really think that he should get more minutes than desjardin at this point. He's much more reliable.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
been rooting for the guy since day 1. Since hes from my neck of the woods.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Brad*

Meyer and Pitkanen have been good. Hatcher has had up and downs. Rathje and Desjardins have been bad.

Brad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 05:22 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
only bad thing about freddy is that he tends to take a dumb penalty every game almost.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Flyer4Life

Agreed Meyer has been solid. The thing about his game that I'm most surprised about is how physical he plays for a small guy, not afraid to stand someone up at the line.

Flyer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 06:27 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Meyer and Pitkanen have been good. Hatcher has had up and downs. Rathje and Desjardins have been bad.
Overall

Hatcher has been the team's best D overall throughout the series thus far, though not last night - at least he wasn't noticeable I guess.

Pitkanen played his first good game last night, and what a beauty it was. Other than that he wasn't effective the first three games and too frequently bad.

I think people are overboard with Rathje. All in all he's played a decent series, especially considering that he's reportedly 50% with his hip. His PKing has been good. His brain farts at the end of last night's game notwithstanding.

Meyer has been consistently good. Probably the only Dman who has been consistent night in and night out.

Gauthier was better last night. I was looking for more out of him in the playoffs. He needs to be disiciplined.

Desjardins. He was awful in Games 1 & 2. Decent in Game 3. Up & down in Game 4. He's lost a few steps. I've seen him get turned around more in these past 4 games than in all of the games I've watched him play in the 90's.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 07:45 AM
MojoJojo

He was great last night, except when he tried to deliver a body check to Briere and sorta bounced off.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
He was great last night, except when he tried to deliver a body check to Briere and sorta bounced off.
Haha, that was too funny

I love Freddy Meyer.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 09:27 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Freddy Meyer is amazing! I've been saying it all year.

He's small, but fast, which the Flyers need fast(rather than powerful) defensemen. He's great at handling the puck, and he's got a great eye and is a solid offensive defensemen. Glad I wasn't the only one that has noticed that he's a pretty reliable asset to the team. Now I hope the Flyers don't trade him like they do their good young players.

*(suddenly remembers Vinny Prospal)*

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 09:53 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Meyer has been really solid and more reliable than Desjardins and he's a BU grad, Go Terriers!

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Give him an A for effort though, there's not many players (that size) that take the body as often as he does.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 12:19 PM
tytech

I've been saying he is our rookie mvp since he joined us. Sure Richards and Carter have done well but without either of those two we still wouldn't have been too bad. Without Meyer and what he brings every night we would have been in serious trouble.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 01:16 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
I've been saying he is our rookie mvp since he joined us. Sure Richards and Carter have done well but without either of those two we still wouldn't have been too bad. Without Meyer and what he brings every night we would have been in serious trouble.
I have to admit I did not think much of him and thought he is only a depth/7th dman but he has proevd me wrong so far. Hope he contiues to prove me wrong for a few years at least.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Lupul*

Since his first game as a Flyer I've liked him. I love how he stands up forwards at the bluelines and stops rushes so effectively. And his little dekes to get away from attackers are fun to watch.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
I have to admit I did not think much of him and thought he is only a depth/7th dman but he has proevd me wrong so far. Hope he contiues to prove me wrong for a few years at least.

Yeah, me too. I didn't think he would be too much, sort of like Seidenberg, and all of those other defensemen that the Flyers did a good job of trading in the past (Chernov, Lessard, St. Jacques, Crowley). I will be pleased if he sticks around for a while. He seems suited to the new NHL.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:37 AM

vCash: 50
Funny, i remember a thread a few months back that stated that the vast majority of this board didn't think he'd make it in the NHL. Now everyone's 'always been behind him'?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
orangeandblack

DESJARDINS IS AWFUL. i miss kim johnsson, if we had him we could sit AT LEAST 1 of the 2 stiffs, rathje and desjardins. hopefully both retire in the off season.

i love freddy though. i bet in the next 5 years teams will have 2 or 3 defensemen under 6 feet, if they can skate and move the puck like meyer.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newham
Funny, i remember a thread a few months back that stated that the vast majority of this board didn't think he'd make it in the NHL. Now everyone's 'always been behind him'?
Goes to show how unpredictable prospects can be. I mean, if you look back a few years, Maxim Ouellette was considered a top ten prospect, and one of the top two or three goalie prospects. Or how about when Marek Svatos played as an injury fill in the 04 playoffs, it was almost a joke for how bad Colorado's farm had been depleted. Freddy Meyer has been exactly what we thought Denis Seidenberg would be. Denis was a dissapointment, Freddy has been a pleasant surprise. Go figure.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 11:31 AM
MadDagoBU

Watching Freddy for three years at BU, all of this sounds familiar. He was the Hockey East Defensive Defenseman of the Year his senior year, one of those guys you knew was never gonna get beat one-on-one. In addition, he scored some big goals and was a very good passer.

I always knew he'd make it to the NHL, because watching him, it was obvious how smart he was on the ice and how well he knew how to use his size to his advantage.

I'm a person who's pretty much always disliked Philly sports teams, but Freddy has me checking Flyers boxscores every day, and even kinda rooting for them.

As for the penalties, well, he is BU's all-time leader in PIMs, and fans of the other eight Hockey East teams still refer to him as "The Hack", so I'm thinkin you're not gonna see a Lady Byng in the future. He has seemed to play a little smarter since going pro in that department.

MadDagoBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I called Meyer a poor man's version of Brian Rafalski and was laughed right off the boards. I'm willing to bet that next season, his numbers go up even more. I like Freddy because he and guys like Rafalski all break the mold and thinking that in order to be a good defenseman in this league, you need to be at least 6'3 and over 200 pounds.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 01:46 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I called Meyer a poor man's version of Brian Rafalski and was laughed right off the boards. I'm willing to bet that next season, his numbers go up even more. I like Freddy because he and guys like Rafalski all break the mold and thinking that in order to be a good defenseman in this league, you need to be at least 6'3 and over 200 pounds.
maybe in the old NHL you had to be that big, but now and more and more i think defensemen who have meyer's size and style will be the new d-men...he's going to be a solid player

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote