HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Koivu one of the most likeable player in the league?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
Is Koivu one of the most likeable player in the league?

This thread was on the NHL talk forum but I decided to start one here since Koivu got hurt last wednesday. IMO, Koivu belongs to the a group of players around the league that is appreciated by any fans (except some wierd Habs fans that listens to 110%), teams, players, etc. Since his injury, everyone seems to be worried. I think we can put him in the same class than Sakic, Yzerman and even Sundin. Thoughts?

Old
04-28-2006, 02:30 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
He is liked around the league.

anyone that has nething to do with 110% is dumb, I dont understand how ppl can sit in front of their tv's watching and listening to their BS.

...and for the record, as much as ppl like Sundin, I cant stand him

Old
04-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
I haven't heard of a soul outside of Montreal who doesn't like him...?

Old
04-28-2006, 07:03 AM
mcphee

If that's the case, it's imteresting that the players that are very careful about public perception, those that choose their words, and reveal little about themselves are the most appreciated. Comments you hear in some series with trash talking going back and forth, could you imagine that from Koivu ? Some like the quote machine types, it's fun to see the exuberance of the Ovechkin's and co., but it's good to see the respect held for players that approach the game in the way the players mentionned do.

Old
04-28-2006, 07:37 AM
pei fan

I definetly think he's admired around the league and by fans.How can you not admire courage and heart? I hope his eye injury isn't serious.Godspeed Saku.

Old
04-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If that's the case, it's imteresting that the players that are very careful about public perception, those that choose their words, and reveal little about themselves are the most appreciated. Comments you hear in some series with trash talking going back and forth, could you imagine that from Koivu ? Some like the quote machine types, it's fun to see the exuberance of the Ovechkin's and co., but it's good to see the respect held for players that approach the game in the way the players mentionned do.

I think a class act is a class act regardless of the emblem on the sweater.

Certain guys play the game the way it should be played and carry themselves with class on and off the ice.

They don't tarnish their own good name.

I admire the guy, even when you factor out his battle with cancer and now this.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally

Certain guys play the game the way it should be played and carry themselves with class on and off the ice.

That's great to hear.

Around here, there are many people that hate Koivu simply because he is a Canadien. I've been hearing numerous jokes and such at his expense since Wednesday's game.

Old
04-28-2006, 09:07 AM
nic29+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally

I couldn't have said it better myself.

He's the reason I started cheering for the habs.

Old
04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
jcpenny

When you come back from Cancer and perform at a high level all in the same year that can earn you some respect. I remember this year like it was yesterday, Koivu wins the comeback of the year in the NHL but loses the ESPY award to drug addict Jennifer Capriatti Since when coming back from doing drugs is a bigger accomplishement? I will never forget this one...

Old
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Shabutie

Alot of ppl dislike Sundin. I think the most likeable players in the league are Sakic, Saku and Elias.

Old
04-28-2006, 11:50 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

He's probably the most respected athlete in Finland.
He was voted by olympians along with Becky Scott (iirc) to represent athletes on the Olympic commitee.
It goes beyond just the NHL.

Old
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Evil Ted

yeah this goes beyond the NHL for sure, he is the captian of the fin national team, probably their greatest and most recognized hockey player even.

Old
04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted
yeah this goes beyond the NHL for sure, he is the captian of the fin national team, probably their greatest and most recognized hockey player even.
I believe that honor goes to Selanne, however Saku is probably the most respected and looked up to.

Old
04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
When you come back from Cancer and perform at a high level all in the same year that can earn you some respect. I remember this year like it was yesterday, Koivu wins the comeback of the year in the NHL but loses the ESPY award to drug addict Jennifer Capriatti Since when coming back from doing drugs is a bigger accomplishement? I will never forget this one...
yeah, that makes no sense to me...

Old
04-28-2006, 01:06 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I believe that honor goes to Selanne, however Saku is probably the most respected and looked up to.
I heard some guy named Jari Kurri was born in Finland too...

At least, if you consider NHL achievement to rank Finn players.

Cos I believe Koivu's aura is bigger than Selanne's in Finland, but they also have other greatest that never had the chance to play in the NHL... Urpo Ylonen, Pekka Marjamaki, Lasse Oksanen...

Old
04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
I heard some guy named Jari Kurri was born in Finland too...

At least, if you consider NHL achievement to rank Finn players.

Cos I believe Koivu's aura is bigger than Selanne's in Finland, but they also have other greatest that never had the chance to play in the NHL... Urpo Ylonen, Pekka Marjamaki, Lasse Oksanen...
Personally I think Selanne is better than Kuri. Kuri's linemates were absolutele pwners. Selanne managed 90pts this season with n00bs .

Old
04-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Phousse

Quote:
Alot of ppl dislike Sundin. I think the most likeable players in the league are Sakic, Saku and Elias.
What about Stevie Y? I'm certain that he would rank up there.

Old
04-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
What about Stevie Y? I'm certain that he would rank up there.
I know alot of ppl who dislike Stevie Y as well. I'm not a big fan of his.

Old
04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Personally I think Selanne is better than Kuri. Kuri's linemates were absolutele pwners. Selanne managed 90pts this season with n00bs .

Yes, I was sure this would come into the discussion... Sounds like the Siarhei Kostitsyn thread.

I'd like to know how the Finns rate their greatest players. But I wouldn't bet Selanne is ahead of Koivu or Kurri...

Old
04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Yes, I was sure this would come into the discussion... Sounds like the Siarhei Kostitsyn thread.

I'd like to know how the Finns rate their greatest players. But I wouldn't bet Selanne is ahead of Koivu or Kurri...
Well say what you will Selanne has accomplished far more in the league than Koivu has. Kurri is debatable.

Old
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
StanAjax

I'd add a "yet" at the end of your sentence. Selanne's career is almost over, not Saku's...

And I think Finns don't look only at NHL achievements... The national team goes nowhere without Koivu, and seems to always find a way to grab a medal when he's in...

Old
04-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I'd add a "yet" at the end of your sentence. Selanne's career is almost over, not Saku's...

And I think Finns don't look only at NHL achievements... The national team goes nowhere without Koivu, and seems to always find a way to grab a medal when he's in...
The name of the thread is in the league. Of course Saku is better on bigger ice surface. And although Selanne's career is almost over (reasonably...so is Saks') Saku would have to get like 150pts+ for his last 4 or so season to catch up to Selanne's point totals.

Old
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
The name of the thread is in the league.

Yeah, and "most likeable" not "best Finn".

I know Koivu will end with less points than Selanne. And Selanne will end with less points than Kurri...

But a Stanley Cup or two as Habs captain would do wonders for Saks "NHL career achievements".

Old
04-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Bruins

I was reading recently that one of the most liked people in the NHL for a long time was, believe it or not, Darren Langdon. Apparently he was loved in he Habs dressing room, as well as with the Rangers and Canucks, and received the most liked award several times during his career. One of the funniest things in the article, which was about his retirement this year was:

Darren Langdon to reporters after an assist on Trent Klatt's goal against Chicago -- his first point in 32 games with the Vancouver Canucks: "I'm on fire"

Thought it was pretty funny.

Old
04-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan
I was reading recently that one of the most liked people in the NHL for a long time was, believe it or not, Darren Langdon. Apparently he was loved in he Habs dressing room, as well as with the Rangers and Canucks, and received the most liked award several times during his career. One of the funniest things in the article, which was about his retirement this year was:

Darren Langdon to reporters after an assist on Trent Klatt's goal against Chicago -- his first point in 32 games with the Vancouver Canucks: "I'm on fire"

Thought it was pretty funny.
Isn't it Langdon who said; "I like to space out my goals, that way I remember them more." Haha.

Closed Thread