HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Koivu one of the most likeable player in the league?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2006, 02:27 AM
  #1
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,900
vCash: 500
Is Koivu one of the most likeable player in the league?

This thread was on the NHL talk forum but I decided to start one here since Koivu got hurt last wednesday. IMO, Koivu belongs to the a group of players around the league that is appreciated by any fans (except some wierd Habs fans that listens to 110%), teams, players, etc. Since his injury, everyone seems to be worried. I think we can put him in the same class than Sakic, Yzerman and even Sundin. Thoughts?

Clumsyhab is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 02:30 AM
  #2
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 3907
He is liked around the league.

anyone that has nething to do with 110% is dumb, I dont understand how ppl can sit in front of their tv's watching and listening to their BS.

...and for the record, as much as ppl like Sundin, I cant stand him

CareyPrice x 31 is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 02:40 AM
  #3
Stefan
Registered User
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa - HabsTown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stefan
I haven't heard of a soul outside of Montreal who doesn't like him...?

Stefan is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 07:03 AM
  #4
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
If that's the case, it's imteresting that the players that are very careful about public perception, those that choose their words, and reveal little about themselves are the most appreciated. Comments you hear in some series with trash talking going back and forth, could you imagine that from Koivu ? Some like the quote machine types, it's fun to see the exuberance of the Ovechkin's and co., but it's good to see the respect held for players that approach the game in the way the players mentionned do.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 07:37 AM
  #5
pei fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
I definetly think he's admired around the league and by fans.How can you not admire courage and heart? I hope his eye injury isn't serious.Godspeed Saku.

pei fan is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 07:41 AM
  #6
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 39,081
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If that's the case, it's imteresting that the players that are very careful about public perception, those that choose their words, and reveal little about themselves are the most appreciated. Comments you hear in some series with trash talking going back and forth, could you imagine that from Koivu ? Some like the quote machine types, it's fun to see the exuberance of the Ovechkin's and co., but it's good to see the respect held for players that approach the game in the way the players mentionned do.

I think a class act is a class act regardless of the emblem on the sweater.

Certain guys play the game the way it should be played and carry themselves with class on and off the ice.

They don't tarnish their own good name.

I admire the guy, even when you factor out his battle with cancer and now this.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
  #7
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I think a class act is a class act regardless of the emblem on the sweater.

Certain guys play the game the way it should be played and carry themselves with class on and off the ice.

They don't tarnish their own good name.

I admire the guy, even when you factor out his battle with cancer and now this.
That's great to hear.

Around here, there are many people that hate Koivu simply because he is a Canadien. I've been hearing numerous jokes and such at his expense since Wednesday's game.

Phousse is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 09:07 AM
  #8
nic29+
Registered User
 
nic29+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I think a class act is a class act regardless of the emblem on the sweater.

Certain guys play the game the way it should be played and carry themselves with class on and off the ice.

They don't tarnish their own good name.

I admire the guy, even when you factor out his battle with cancer and now this.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

He's the reason I started cheering for the habs.

nic29+ is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
  #9
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
When you come back from Cancer and perform at a high level all in the same year that can earn you some respect. I remember this year like it was yesterday, Koivu wins the comeback of the year in the NHL but loses the ESPY award to drug addict Jennifer Capriatti Since when coming back from doing drugs is a bigger accomplishement? I will never forget this one...

jcpenny is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
  #10
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Alot of ppl dislike Sundin. I think the most likeable players in the league are Sakic, Saku and Elias.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 11:50 AM
  #11
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
He's probably the most respected athlete in Finland.
He was voted by olympians along with Becky Scott (iirc) to represent athletes on the Olympic commitee.
It goes beyond just the NHL.

sXe is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
  #12
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
yeah this goes beyond the NHL for sure, he is the captian of the fin national team, probably their greatest and most recognized hockey player even.

Evil Ted is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
  #13
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted
yeah this goes beyond the NHL for sure, he is the captian of the fin national team, probably their greatest and most recognized hockey player even.
I believe that honor goes to Selanne, however Saku is probably the most respected and looked up to.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
  #14
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,766
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
When you come back from Cancer and perform at a high level all in the same year that can earn you some respect. I remember this year like it was yesterday, Koivu wins the comeback of the year in the NHL but loses the ESPY award to drug addict Jennifer Capriatti Since when coming back from doing drugs is a bigger accomplishement? I will never forget this one...
yeah, that makes no sense to me...

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:06 PM
  #15
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I believe that honor goes to Selanne, however Saku is probably the most respected and looked up to.
I heard some guy named Jari Kurri was born in Finland too...

At least, if you consider NHL achievement to rank Finn players.

Cos I believe Koivu's aura is bigger than Selanne's in Finland, but they also have other greatest that never had the chance to play in the NHL... Urpo Ylonen, Pekka Marjamaki, Lasse Oksanen...

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
  #16
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
I heard some guy named Jari Kurri was born in Finland too...

At least, if you consider NHL achievement to rank Finn players.

Cos I believe Koivu's aura is bigger than Selanne's in Finland, but they also have other greatest that never had the chance to play in the NHL... Urpo Ylonen, Pekka Marjamaki, Lasse Oksanen...
Personally I think Selanne is better than Kuri. Kuri's linemates were absolutele pwners. Selanne managed 90pts this season with n00bs .

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:22 PM
  #17
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Alot of ppl dislike Sundin. I think the most likeable players in the league are Sakic, Saku and Elias.
What about Stevie Y? I'm certain that he would rank up there.

Phousse is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:23 PM
  #18
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
What about Stevie Y? I'm certain that he would rank up there.
I know alot of ppl who dislike Stevie Y as well. I'm not a big fan of his.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
  #19
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Personally I think Selanne is better than Kuri. Kuri's linemates were absolutele pwners. Selanne managed 90pts this season with n00bs .

Yes, I was sure this would come into the discussion... Sounds like the Siarhei Kostitsyn thread.

I'd like to know how the Finns rate their greatest players. But I wouldn't bet Selanne is ahead of Koivu or Kurri...

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
  #20
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Yes, I was sure this would come into the discussion... Sounds like the Siarhei Kostitsyn thread.

I'd like to know how the Finns rate their greatest players. But I wouldn't bet Selanne is ahead of Koivu or Kurri...
Well say what you will Selanne has accomplished far more in the league than Koivu has. Kurri is debatable.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
  #21
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
I'd add a "yet" at the end of your sentence. Selanne's career is almost over, not Saku's...

And I think Finns don't look only at NHL achievements... The national team goes nowhere without Koivu, and seems to always find a way to grab a medal when he's in...

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:41 PM
  #22
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
I'd add a "yet" at the end of your sentence. Selanne's career is almost over, not Saku's...

And I think Finns don't look only at NHL achievements... The national team goes nowhere without Koivu, and seems to always find a way to grab a medal when he's in...
The name of the thread is in the league. Of course Saku is better on bigger ice surface. And although Selanne's career is almost over (reasonably...so is Saks') Saku would have to get like 150pts+ for his last 4 or so season to catch up to Selanne's point totals.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
  #23
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
The name of the thread is in the league.

Yeah, and "most likeable" not "best Finn".

I know Koivu will end with less points than Selanne. And Selanne will end with less points than Kurri...

But a Stanley Cup or two as Habs captain would do wonders for Saks "NHL career achievements".

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:50 PM
  #24
Bruins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
I was reading recently that one of the most liked people in the NHL for a long time was, believe it or not, Darren Langdon. Apparently he was loved in he Habs dressing room, as well as with the Rangers and Canucks, and received the most liked award several times during his career. One of the funniest things in the article, which was about his retirement this year was:

Darren Langdon to reporters after an assist on Trent Klatt's goal against Chicago -- his first point in 32 games with the Vancouver Canucks: "I'm on fire"

Thought it was pretty funny.

Bruins is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:52 PM
  #25
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan
I was reading recently that one of the most liked people in the NHL for a long time was, believe it or not, Darren Langdon. Apparently he was loved in he Habs dressing room, as well as with the Rangers and Canucks, and received the most liked award several times during his career. One of the funniest things in the article, which was about his retirement this year was:

Darren Langdon to reporters after an assist on Trent Klatt's goal against Chicago -- his first point in 32 games with the Vancouver Canucks: "I'm on fire"

Thought it was pretty funny.
Isn't it Langdon who said; "I like to space out my goals, that way I remember them more." Haha.

Shabutie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.