HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vermette should stick

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 04:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Vermette should stick

Watching this game tonight, there is no doubt in my mind that Vermette should stick atleast until Fisher returns. Schastlivy has been invisble and got benched tonight. Vermette ended the night with Smolinski and Havlat and got a shift with Marty in OT. He makes things happen with his speed and paired with Marty, that could be fun to watch.

I think when Schaefer returns, you'll see Schastlivy hit the press box.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Johnny Danger

vCash: 500
dito ... vermette really rocks! although being a leafs fan, i love this guy a lot

good luck to him

Old
11-01-2003, 11:38 PM
16w

yep

i was glad to see Jacques had confidence in Vermette to throw him out there for the 4-on-4 OT (i dont think Spezza even got a shift during OT until about his 30th game)

.... Marty and Antoine seemed to have a little bit of chemistry playing together in the 3rd Period as well

I think the Senators should send Schastlivy back down to Binghamton at some point this season to get his confidence back, he's been useless so far this year.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:51 AM
Observer

vCash:
Yeah, Vermette looked good out there with Havlat. Martin also trusts Vermette out there in more situations than he does Spezza, simply because Vermette's defence is better. It'd be a good idea to keep him on a line with Havlat. Not only does Havlat need good linemates, but Vermette is not meant to be a 3rd or 4rth liner. (Neither is Havlat.)

Schastlivy's potential is huge, but he threw up a stinker last night. He's got to start playing better soon because I think Martin is nearing the end of his patience. The Sens have given Schastlivy a lot of time and have spent a lot of resources to bring him along slowly through all the injuries, but he's just not developing. You can see the potential, but he's not realizing it.

I've been a little worried about Marty. He's seemed hesitant and a step behind at times. I think it's just that he missed the pre-season and part of the season. But I also think it's that he's got no chemistry with his linemates. He seems to have some with Vermette. And I guess he's just going to have to develop some with Smoke. Varada/Bonk/Hossa are playing so well together, there's no way Martin should split them up. Just to highlight Bonk's value to the Sens though... I think if Bonk were centering Havlat and Vermette, they'd be flying as well.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Schastlivy's potential is huge, but he threw up a stinker last night. He's got to start playing better soon because I think Martin is nearing the end of his patience.
The big sign last night was that Vermette skated on the third line last night while Schastlivy saw spot-duty on the Van Allen/Neil line.

Frankly I find the two of them interchangable (ie both very good rookies) - but Schastlivy's been hyped so much that his very normal play is under much greater scrutiny.

Other Dave

Old
11-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Volchenkov

It might be time to trade Shastlivy away, preferablt to a team that as a fan I would be happy to see him succeed (Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver). I don't think sending him down to the AHL will do him much good (it will make Iced a happy poster ). As for Vermette, I am really hoping he stays up for an extended period of time. Sounds like he's developing into a Madden-type player. They should make it a conditional draft pick - if he scores 20 then its a 1st - if he doesn't then its a second.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:54 AM
gbl1p

Though I hate to seem quick to "give up" on a player, but there is no question that Schastlivy is on his last trial as a Senator. In the near future there will be a clash of diminishing patience and the costs sunk into him over the years. Slowly but surely, as is evidenced by him being scratched in Long Island, it's apparent that patience is growing shorter and shorter and will soon outweigh the lost costs if things don't change. Sucks, but its true. We will not hold onto an asset like Schastlivy if he's simply not working. *cough* package Schast, Prusek and a pick *cough*. Excuse me, I'm still trying to shake off a nasty cold. Like I said, I don't want to give up and by no means is 10 games into the season a true indicator, but there will definitely be a point, sooner or later, where there will be a move - Whether it be half way through this season, by the trade deadline, by the summer or by early next season. Within a year.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:11 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
Though I hate to seem quick to "give up" on a player, but there is no question that Schastlivy is on his last trial as a Senator. In the near future there will be a clash of diminishing patience and the costs sunk into him over the years. Slowly but surely, as is evidenced by him being scratched in Long Island, it's apparent that patience is growing shorter and shorter and will soon outweigh the lost costs if things don't change. Sucks, but its true. We will not hold onto an asset like Schastlivy if he's simply not working. *cough* package Schast, Prusek and a pick *cough*. Excuse me, I'm still trying to shake off a nasty cold. Like I said, I don't want to give up and by no means is 10 games into the season a true indicator, but there will definitely be a point, sooner or later, where there will be a move - Whether it be half way through this season, by the trade deadline, by the summer or by early next season. Within a year.
Well, I think that he will have until Christmas at least to prove his worth.

I think the organization knows what he can do. Reports are that he's working hard in practice. He's just not delivering where it counts. On the pre-game yesterday, they were saying that he's playing like he doesn't want to get hurt. With his injury history, it is understandable. He knows he can't afford to be on the sidelines again.

I've been a big Schastlivy backer. I think we need someone like him in the organization. However, if he doesn't turn around in a hurry, he'll find that he's wearing a different sweater by the end of the year.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Skrymir

I think Sckastlivy is in the same situation as Ciernik a few Seasons ago.... tho more was expected from SChastlivy IMO. I think Stu has the right idea you'll see Schastlivy get ice time until Christmas, then if he still isn't playing well, he'll be traded or put on waivers if no trade partner can be found... I think

Old
11-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Spezza

I'm sort of suprised and disappointed about Schatslivy's struggles. It's been pretty difficult for me to keep tabs on whats going on with the team (on the other side of the atlantic at the moment).

Anywho, can't we just send him down for conditioning for a couple of weeks? I'd much rather that he gets a chance to get his groove back than loose him on waivers.

PS Remember he can play better (just go and look at Russian Fan's 2002-2003 Highlight Real )

Closed Thread