HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you could choose 2 UFA this summer

Old
04-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
If you could choose 2 UFA this summer

One Offense

One Defense

who should they make the pitch to?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 11:52 PM
artoor13

Lets get a list of the available ones

artoor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 11:54 PM
NYR2

Offense: Don't know who's a FA.
Defense: Redden.

NYR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Onion Boy

Pavel Kubina would by my first choice for D. Not really up to date on available forwards.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Nemchinov13

I like what I'm seeing from Elias. And one of Redden/Chara, please.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:03 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13
I like what I'm seeing from Elias. And one of Redden/Chara, please.

I like Arnott, we need a centre who has size and uses it. Arnott and Kubina, resign Sykora, Straka.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Yureeka47*

Send a message via MSN to Yureeka47*
Elias and Chara.. Although we could use a top flight Center more than Elias.

Yureeka47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:22 AM
FLYLine24

Same as above, Elias and Chara.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
forboston

I think Arnott would be a good fit, and for defense Redden

forboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:53 AM
streen1000

Send a message via MSN to streen1000
I think heäs RFA but
Martin Havlat +
Zdeno Chara

I dont see ottawa giving up redden

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:58 AM
nyr5186

Its pretty obvious that our defense needs some form of a revamping. Out of the current d-corp, I'd expect the following to be back...

1. Kasparaitis
2. Tyutin
3. Malik
4. Roszival (say what you want, but him and Malik were a solid pair for much of the season)

That leaves 2-3 spots open...

Poti, I highly doubt will be re-signed. He played pretty decently after being benched early in the season and has surprisingly developed some sort of a physical game, but its about time we parted ways. He's a finesse perimeter player, and as we've learned in this postseason, that gets you nowhere come playoff time. Some team will give him the $3 mil per year he will ask for, but it wont be us (hopefully).

As for Ozolinsh...How Sather and company handle his situation will tell me alot about how committed they are to not just the rebuild, but to changing the losing atmosphere that has surrounded this organization for 9 years. Lets look at the Devils as an example of what should be done. Remember Mogilny and Malakhov? It was apparent from the start of the season that they weren't fitting in. What did Lou do? He didn't mess around. He found a way to get them off the team ASAP. This is what needs to be done with Ozolinsh. Giving a guy like him a second chance is exactly what would've happened pre-rebuild, and its exactly what should be avoided now. Try to trade him, try to make him retire, demote him, cut him, scratch him. Do whatever it takes. Just make sure he never plays a game for the Rangers again.

Now, that leaves several spots in the d-corp opened. One should undoubtebly go to a high-end free agent like Chara or Redden. I would prefer Redden, but either one would be a drastic improvement to not only our overall defense, but also on our breakout and on the power play. We need that anchor. Make it happen, Slats.

The 6th and 7th spots should be open to anyone who proves they are capable of the job, though preferably to a youngster. Out of Staal, Pock, Strudwick, Baranka, Liffiton, Sauer, Lampman, Taylor, Paiement, or any other defensemen we sign or trade for, there should be at least a few guys who can round out our defense and provide depth throughout the season.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Larry Melnyk

On Defense, Chara has to be the ultimate choice..But he probably gets resigned...My next targets would be KUBINA or MCKEEE via FA..

Not sure about FORWARDS...Ilike the idea orf ARNOT for his size, but I also like the idea of SAVARD for his playmaking....And there could be alot of trades also

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 01:17 AM
eco's bones

Not sure how the Rangers are going to treat Ozo. He might not be easy to get rid of. He might get the same treatment as Mogilny. In any case I like Chara best--better than Redden because he's bigger and meaner. He hits like a truck and he also brings offense. He has a heavy shot with a lot of velocity. He can shut down large forwards like LeCavalier, Staal, Heatley etc. To me he's the pick of the litter. After him Redden, Kubina--maybe Jovo who's paired with Malik I believe.

As for forwards Orts is right we can use someone at center. My problem though with that is that effects the rebuild. It likely puts Jarkko back in Hartford for another season and cuts Dubinsky and/or Helminen off at the pass. Arnott has some size, skill, toughness---but he is also old. We do not need to get older. I really like Elias. Elias is a battler. Sign him and think twice about whether you sign Sykora. Again do you believe Dawes is ready? Or that Prucha should be on the top lines? A question can also be raised once again about our size and aggression. I don't think there are too many of our players now that are sure bets next fall. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 9-10 new faces (vets and rookies) for us next year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 05:28 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
some may think this a reversal for the Rangers

but I would look at the following 2 players if we could afford both.

Joe Sakic for his leadership abilities as well as providing this team a much needed 2nd line offensive weapon that we have lacked all season. Jagr's (the 1st line) line can remain intact and play Sakic with Prucha and Sykora (who I hope is retained)

Zdeno Chara This guy can do it all and would make Tyutin look better. Toots had a very up and down season, but for the most part has looked ok, Chara would allow him to explore the offensive side of his game a bit more and maybe open him up somewhat.

I'd allow Rucinsky to walk and bring up guys like Dawes and Dubinsky who both seem to be on the fast track to the NHL.

Our 3rd and 4th lines are solid defensively, but we need a bit more scoring from both lines. Maybe Dawes and Dubinsky could help that out a bit.

Last edited by pld459666: 04-27-2006 at 05:35 AM.
pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Taz

Defence: Chara
Forward: Elias

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zdeno Chara is so overrated.Wade Redden is a better player

I lost alot of respect for Chara for picking a fight with Vinny Lacavalier.Real tough guy

Chara always picks on the small guys-Theo Fleury and Brian Gionta.He stays away from the big guys

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 06:50 AM
bathgate

Sorry everyone: I do not want to sign ufa's .I want to continue with our rebuild. On defense, give Staal, Baranka, Pock a chance. Upfront, Dawes, Immonen, Dubinskyreceive a shot. The only time we add a ufa is when we subtract our free agents. Nevertheless, do not be fooled. I do not believe we can replicate this year. Jagr will not duplicate the year. We will fight to make the playoffs. The rebuild from within must be accelerated with our youngsters.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Sather Hater

Arnott and Elias (and keep Sykora)

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

I lost alot of respect for Chara for picking a fight with Vinny Lacavalier.Real tough guy

Chara always picks on the small guys-Theo Fleury and Brian Gionta.He stays away from the big guys
You need to watch more hockey.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
You need to watch more hockey.
Seriously...

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:41 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy

Chara didn't pick that fight, Lecavelier threw the first punch and when Chara could have pounded a prone Vinny he showed class by letting up. And everyone is smaller than Chara. He went after Cairns a few months ago too.

I'd take Chara any day but if I had to pick one I'd take Redden. I'm not sure I'd take any forwards. I'm sure as hell letting almost all of our UFA forwards go, Sykora has no finish, Rucinsky just doesn't do it for me and Rucchin is a good leader but I'd rather see a young guy.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:42 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
Sorry everyone: I do not want to sign ufa's .I want to continue with our rebuild. On defense, give Staal, Baranka, Pock a chance. Upfront, Dawes, Immonen, Dubinskyreceive a shot. The only time we add a ufa is when we subtract our free agents. Nevertheless, do not be fooled. I do not believe we can replicate this year. Jagr will not duplicate the year. We will fight to make the playoffs. The rebuild from within must be accelerated with our youngsters.
It's not that everyone doesn't want to rebuild - quite the opposite. There just seems to be more of a consensus that we do not have enough on the farm yet to totally replace a lot of the players we have this year.

Staal and Baranka probably need another year, and Pock doesn't belong on the squad so long as Ozolinsh is here. Yes, it would be nice to see Dawes and Immo get a shot, but we're looking at Straka, Rucinsky, Sykora, and Rucchin all being UFA's in the summer. How many of those guys are going to be back?

Certainly UFAs can't take rosters spots from young, deserving players, but at this point it seems questionable, at best, whether or not we've got the rookie crop to succeed the exiting veterans.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 07:53 AM
JimEIV

I would be extremely surprised if Elias didn't sign a deal before July 1st.

This is from someone who said Niedermayer was gone BEFORE the lockout even happened.

Holik leaving was no surprise. Niedermayer leaving while extremely painful was no surprise. Elias leaving would be an extreme surprise to me.

Elias currently does not have an agent and plans to work out his own deal the same way Brodeur did with New Jersey. A player without and agent is not typical of player looking to move or looking for the biggest contract to be thrown at him.

My guess is Elias doesn't even make it to the July 1st date and he signs a 4 or 5 year deal with New Jersey in the June Time frame.

But you never Know.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Richard Park 10

You guys are quite amazing. One bad showing in the playoffs and you now want to go back to buying players?

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 08:13 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
Agree in principle but we do have a number of players on our top two lines who are UFAs (Rucinsky, Rucchin, Sykora and Straka).

Depending on whom and how many of them we re-sign there may be room for a high-end UFA next year.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote