HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Luongo in the dog house

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 05:42 PM
justapantherfan

vCash: 500
Luongo in the dog house

With Shields getting the start tonight and after giving up 3, 4, 5 and 6 goals. I noticed that Luongo not really ever looked over at Mike to see if he was going to go in. I figured after the 4th goal he would be heading in, but nope never even twitched on the stool. I wonder if he said anything to Iron Mike to get the beach or maybe he got hurt and they are down playing it. Anyone?

Old
11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
Clash*

Accordin to Jiggs and Moller, Robbie was pissed this morning when he found out he'd be sittin this game out, or at least not startin. Nothin was said about any injury.

Old
11-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Its just typical Keenan. He rides whichever goalie has been playing better and in his mind it was Shields. The guy isn't meant for back-to-back starts and he shouldn't be a starter. Luongo was in the skate around and facing shots so there was no injury I could see. In defense of Shields, I only saw 2 goals (and maybe the first goal but I doubt it) that he could've prevented. The one where he was caught behind the net was clearly his fault and the hat trick goal by McCauley. Most of the goals were the fault of defensive breakdowns. Compound that with our defenders having trouble breaking out of our zone and we spent most of the nite on our heels. Shields gets the loss but the defense played lousy.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:24 AM
justapantherfan

The sad thing is this the first game we were able to keep the shots under 30. Had Roberto been in net there would have been a good bet he would have a win under his belt.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Brock

Only Mike Keenan would put the NHL's runner up in Save Percentage so far (MA Fleury has a .942 and Luongo a .941) in the doghouse.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Only Mike Keenan would put the NHL's runner up in Save Percentage so far (MA Fleury has a .942 and Luongo a .941) in the doghouse.
This is only a suggestion, mind you, but perhaps Louie isn't in Keenan's doghouse. Perhaps the defense as a whole is, and he's benching Luongo so the defense will learn to tighten up. It's like saying "You're able to play badly because you've got a safety net. I'm taking away your net, so if you make a bad play you're going to pay."

I could easily be wrong, but it's still a possibility with Keenan.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:25 AM
MoeHowardDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
This is only a suggestion, mind you, but perhaps Louie isn't in Keenan's doghouse. Perhaps the defense as a whole is, and he's benching Luongo so the defense will learn to tighten up. It's like saying "You're able to play badly because you've got a safety net. I'm taking away your net, so if you make a bad play you're going to pay."

I don't think anyone is in his doghouse at all. I think its just Mike Keenan's idiosyncrasies shining through.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:

That's a very good point, but I think I'm gonna have to disagree. I dont think Keenan's the kinda guy who would make a statement in a silent, round-about way. He'd be more apt to just say it out loud in the locker room and, unfortunately, the press.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Clash*

Quote:

That's cuttin your nose off to spite your face. Regardless whether or not Luongo should have started, Keenan played the hot hand, which is fine, imo. The problem lies in that he didn't play the role of Cap't Hook, like he's done previously this year, and did regularly with both Hurme and Luongo last year. When Shields let in 3 goals on 9 shots, right then and there, Luongo would have been pulled instantly, and there should not be a double standard.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:11 AM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
That's cuttin your nose off to spite your face. Regardless whether or not Luongo should have started, Keenan played the hot hand, which is fine, imo. The problem lies in that he didn't play the role of Cap't Hook, like he's done previously this year, and did regularly with both Hurme and Luongo last year. When Shields let in 3 goals on 9 shots, right then and there, Luongo would have been pulled instantly, and there should not be a double standard.

Your forgetting who our coach is.

Closed Thread